TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest *KNK*

Ring of Honor 6.18.05 "Death Before Dishonor 3"

Has anybody considered this possibility?

I know it was announced as Punk's last ROH appearance, but I've never heard a date for his last indy appearance. Unless that was last night as well, is there any chance Punk loses the title defending it at some other indy show? It could put over that "anything can happen" aspect of professional wrestling.

I agree with Jingus, anyone who thinks that was a shoot needs to slap themselves.  Great swerve by having Punk win the belt though.  Great stuff.

No one thinks it's a shoot. And anyone who thinks people thinks its a shoot need to slap themselves.

And actually, it was a pretty terrible swerve since Austin Aries looks like a major bitch.

No one knows if Punk is coming back, but dicking the fans out of seeing Daniels v. Punk pissed off a lot of fans.

I know it was announced as Punk's last ROH appearance, but I've never heard a date for his last indy appearance.  Unless that was last night as well, is there any chance Punk loses the title defending it at some other indy show?  It could put over that "anything can happen" aspect of professional wrestling.

That would be one of the dumbest things Gabe could ever do.

I think Punk won just because no one expected it. I personally couldn't get into London's match with Joe knowing he wasn't going to be around any longer.

I trust ROH for the most part, I think this'll work itself out.

I know it was announced as Punk's last ROH appearance, but I've never heard a date for his last indy appearance.  Unless that was last night as well, is there any chance Punk loses the title defending it at some other indy show?  It could put over that "anything can happen" aspect of professional wrestling.

That would be one of the dumbest things Gabe could ever do.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. But allow me to play devil's advocate for a minute. How many times has Aries defended the show on other indy cards? I doubt his appearance really drew anybody to those shows since it was painfully obvious there'd be no title change. Having Punk lose the ROH title at somebody else's show could be beneficial to indy wrestling as a whole and help jumpstart a career of someone completely unexpected.

Of course, I wouldn't have even put the belt on Punk since he was on the way out, but right now I'm trying to find some justification for the angle last night.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. But allow me to play devil's advocate for a minute. How many times has Aries defended the show on other indy cards? I doubt his appearance really drew anybody to those shows since it was painfully obvious there'd be no title change. Having Punk lose the ROH title at somebody else's show could be beneficial to indy wrestling as a whole and help jumpstart a career of someone completely unexpected.

But that would piss off the entire ROH fanbase, which is not something Gabe should do.

Daniels' promo was really stupid as well, and really hurt him.

While he's training with OVW (inevitable), would he still able to work other dates? Didn't Joey Matthews work 3PW while an OVW guy?

Joey Matthews didn't have a developmental deal.

Cornette's always had a pretty good relationship with ROH though, so I'm sure he'd be willing to let Punk work a date or two for ROH to drop the title. As long as Vince doesn't think Cornette needs suspended for something stupid again or something.

While he's training with OVW (inevitable), would he still able to work other dates? Didn't Joey Matthews work 3PW while an OVW guy?

I think they'd allow him to continue working some ROH shows if the WWE office was cool with it. Matthews wasn't signed to a WWE deal when he was in 3PW.

The other possibilities are 1) Non-WWE OVW wrestler beats him for the title, 2) ROH guy comes onto OVW TV/OVW event and beats Punk for the belt (and wouldn't you know it, ROH distributes OVW tapes), or 3) ROH/OVW co-promote a show in Louisville.

Guest OSIcon

Punk is wrestling on FIP shows (two of them) next weekend. He was already a heel there. Aries and Homicide both wrestle for FIP so either one could feasibly be there and defeat him for the title.

My guess is he'll either drop it there or will work another ROH show where he drops it. I don't get the outrage over the angle. Aries held the title for 6+months, had over 20 title defenses, and was working a storyline where his title defenses were taking a physical toll on his body. Losing the title doesn't really hurt him and it is hardly "hot shotting" the title (assuming of course, Punk does lose it in the ring).

Plus if Punk does leave they can throw together a World Title tourny thats bound to be a big tape seller.

Rule 213 of wrestling: Thou shall not let you champion walk out on your company with your belt around his waist.

If ROH have broken this rule, they have really dropped the ball. In my eyes, their title just loses prestige because of this.

There are no golden rules in wrestling. If something gets people talking and attracts fans then its worked.

I think Gabe is a good enough booker to have a great follow up to this. People need to wait and see before saying stuff like the ROH title is devalued.

Edited by Mystery Eskimo

People, like me, are mad because ROH promised that something very special would happen, and it didn't happen. If Punk had accepted Daniels' challenge and then dropped the belt to him, followed by the Paul London treatment, it would have been the perfect ending.

Instead... a) He received the worst sendoff ever, or b) All of the hype about this being his last ROH match was bullshit. Very frustrating and disappointing either way. In fact, I don't think even Wrestlemania 2000 left me with such a sour feeling.

I agree.

Punk winning- I'm fine with that.

Punk turning heel- Even better.

Daniels showing up- Awesome.

Punk just running away and Daniels cutting a dumb promo and then walking to the back- not so much.

But in the end the highlight of the show was:

S-T-R-O-N-G. What's that spell? STRONG! STRONG! STRONG!

Guest Fishyswa

I thought ROH and WWE recently came to some sort of general business agreement, perhaps this is a way for the WWE to promote ROH in exchange for something or other?

Guest Duncan Eternia
I was at the show. The Punk thing made no sense to anyone and left a really bad taste in my mouth.

That said, Lacey spit at me and some guy yelled "Camel toe!" right as the women's match was about to begin, so I got my money's worth.

I was at the show also. It made no sense to anyone??? The crowd went nuts. I liked he title switch and the turn. It keeps things unexpected. Most fans expected Aries to retain then Punk to give a nice little speech. But the total opposite happened. Like was said previously, it's all about getting people talking. It should be interesting to see what happens.

I feel a title tourny will not devalue the ROH belt. If anything it may ADD some prestige...hear me out. Have a tournament showcasing the best ROH talent and some up and comers. Put over to the audiences how badly these wrestler want the belt. Some interesting storylines and character development could follow.

For example, 1) Aries could up his "personal Jesus" gimmick by "saving" ROH. 2) Samoa Joe tries to regain the belt, 3) Daniels fulfilling his "destiny", etc. Plus when/if Punk comes back (assuming he's bound for WWE for an extended period) he has a ready made feud - something like Michaels vs. Razor for the IC Belt in 93-94. But those are just some ideas of what may happen. You can like them or hate them. Nonetheless, ROH has shaken things up and got the smark community talking...they know that they need to deliver.

A title is just a prop. They can always rebuild anything that may be lost. Nothing terrible has happened here.

Welcome to TSM, Mr. Russo. :D

Anyway, I agree to a point. The title is a prop, and you can rebuild it if it loses some lustre. Some. But a needless vacancy could tarnish the image of the title long term, and with ROH's fanbase often being too "smart" for their own good, that could kill the company.

All anybody wants is for Punk to drop it in the ring.

New ROH World Champion CM Punk has agreed to defend the title on the July 8th debut in Long Island. This is the only date that Punk has agreed to be on. Punk's opponent will be decided the night of the show. Tickets are on sale now for this event at Sports Plus Entertainment Center in Lake Grove, NY at ROHwrestling.com, by calling 215-781-2500 and at Ticketmaster outlets.

The ROHwrestling.com Newswire will be coming by Monday morning with lots of news about many upcoming shows.

Im sorry, I disagree. IMHO, if they wanted to give him the belt, the time to do so was when he was feuding with Joe and then he could have dropped it to Daniels. Also, Aries looks bad too. Its unexpected and ROH have to do something mega to justify it and I am sorry, tourneys have been done to death. They need something fresh.

Ive got to give credit to ROH fanatics, they defend the product to a T. Hey, I marked out last night, but still see the cracks in it.

How the fuck does Austin Aries look bad?

Austin Aries beat the longest reigning champion EVER in ROH. CM Punk took the longest reigning champion to the limit. The match was like 25-30 some minutes... not exactly making him look like a bitch.

Just because Punk is leaving (he may not even leave while in OVW) everyone shits on it. Punk deserved the title forever, and he finally got it. He beat Aries is a great, competitive match. In NO WAY does Austin Aries look like a bitch, he got on upped by one of the best.

That's like to say.. if Chris Benoit came into ROH for a 1 Night Appearance, and BEATS say... James Gibson... in a 25 minute match. Does that make James Gibson look like a bitch? I mean Benoit is only there for one night right? NO! That doesn't make him look like a bitch. If Punk had of owned him in to minutes like Cena did to JBL at Wrestlemania, then yes, it'd be a different story.

That's like to say.. if Chris Benoit came into ROH for a 1 Night Appearance, and BEATS say... James Gibson... in a 25 minute match. Does that make James Gibson look like a bitch? I mean Benoit is only there for one night right?  NO! That doesn't make him look like a bitch. If Punk had of owned him in to minutes like Cena did to JBL at Wrestlemania, then yes, it'd be a different story.

It would, cause Benoit is non-ROH. You dont put guest appearances over your regulars. You should never book that. Especially if the guy is your champ. Punk no sold man, how much worse could it be for Aries. Hes a transitional champ, such champs always look bad. And so is Punk. You dont have 2 transitional champs, one after another.

What I am saying is, it would have made more sense, if Joe lost it to Punk in their last match, say in the 70th minute and then Punk losing it to Aries like a month ago. From were im standing at the moment, it looks like ROH have dropped the ball. Get over it.

People don't seem to realize Aries has been ROH Champ for 6 months and was running a storyline where he had a bad neck.

He didnt make much waves. I think your reaching a bit comparing him to Joe, Punk or Daniels.

How could he be a transitional champ if he held it for 6 months? If Punk wasn't leaving, would Aries have lost the belt?

Dames