TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Red Baron

Bad Games That You Love

You know those types of games, the games no one wants to play, but you like for some reason.

For me it was Nagano Olympics for the N64. The game has the worst control scheme and the graphics are terrible, but that doesn't stop me from playing the game non-stop. Curling, speed-skating, ski jumping and bobsled are fun to play.

So what are some guilty pleasure games for you guys?

I don't know if anyone else has ever played this game, but General Chaos for the Sega Genesis was one of the most addicting, fun games I've ever played. Everyone else I know has shitted all over it.

Dames

Typically the best of the bad ones are side scrolling beat 'em ups. Awful A.I., goofy character designs, 80's out the wazoo, boring and repetitious gameplay--that's the stuff!

And when it comes to that, I immediately think of Two Crude Dudes for Genesis. As far as I know, it's an arcade translation of the sequel to the infamous Bad Dudes.

That's not to say it's as good as Bad Dudes, or has nearly as much charm. You can tackle it 1-player, or, naturally, get a friend to control your other Dude, but they look almost exactly alike. Both are hulking brutes with dark sunglasses, a mohawk, a vest with no shirt underneath, boots, jeans, and kneepads (?!).

The Dudes are surprisingly spry, able to jump kick and climb as well as they can HEAVE CARS OVER THEIR HEADS and chuck them at their enemies. Ninjas don't kidnap the president--rather, we're in some post-apocalyptic city crawling with biker punks, freaks, mutants, and the occasional pack of ninjas. It's a good thing you're such a FREAKIN HUGE target.

All the 80's cliches, the soda pop chugging, the amusing weapons, goofy/weird bosses, etc. add up to make a beat 'em up spectacular in its awfulness.

A lot of the Sierra adventure games were really quite poor, but I still liked them. I'm not saying all of them, Gabriel Knight:SotF and King's Quest VI spring to mind as good ones.

I played 2 Crude Dudes! I think I beat it. That game probably had the worst looking character sprites I've ever seen.

bad_dudes_two_crude.jpg

Yup.

I used to like some really crappy early CDROM games, like HellCab

I played many a game of Battle Arena Toshinden, and Bloody Roar II. I still ike Bloody Roar II.

Time Killers was pure trash, but I liked it because it was bloody.

Shit, Mortal Kombat the first is definitely a bad game. I played it plenty.

General Chaos was an awesome game. Especially when 2 people teamed up and went commando-style.

Everyone shits on Super Mario Sunshine, but I thought it was a decent game.

I liked Manhunt. I thought it was suspenseful. And with that, I'll just stop.

Guest JesusJuiced

I have a soft spot for DRIV3R, simply because of the cities on offer.

I forgot Spider-Man 2. Had I lived anywhere else, I would have called it shit. However, I had just moved to Brooklyn when it came out, and free roaming as Spider-Man through a significantly accurate Manhattan made me enjoy it a lot more than people out of the area probably did.

I like MK1-3 which are considered bad by many.

I like most of the SF/MK released in the 90's. Even garbage like Way of the Warrior and Kasumi Ninja are pretty fun to check out.

I am keeping a Bad Dudes arcade in my house right now.

I don't know if anyone else has ever played this game, but General Chaos for the Sega Genesis was one of the most addicting, fun games I've ever played.  Everyone else I know has shitted all over it. 

Dames

General Chaos was friggin great when you had two players going at it. Damn, I'm going to have to find a ROM of it now since you brought it up.

Bases Loaded for the NES. No MLB teams, atrocious graphics (even for the time), and mostly unbearable gameplay. But for some reason, I loved the game as a kid and still play it from time to time.

Eternal Champions for the Genesis. The most broken fighting game you'll ever play, but still fun as hell. The stage-exclusive fatalities were always fun to try and get. I bet no one can beat me with Xavier. Fuggin' cheating alchemist. And Larcen was badass.

Bases Loaded for the NES. No MLB teams, atrocious graphics (even for the time), and mostly unbearable gameplay. But for some reason, I loved the game as a kid and still play it from time to time.

Eternal Champions for the Genesis. The most broken fighting game you'll ever play, but still fun as hell. The stage-exclusive fatalities were always fun to try and get. I bet no one can beat me with Xavier. Fuggin' cheating alchemist. And Larcen was badass.

I only vaguely recall Bases Loaded.

Bad News Baseball was money.

No no, it was Double Play for the NES.

I'd have to say Kings of Dragons for the SNES and also Luigi Mansion for the Cube.

Last Battle-a Fist Of The Northstar ripoff on the Genesis...that was actually the first Genesis game I ever owned (well besides Altered Beast which came with it)...

Bases Loaded and Bases Loaded: 2 were excellent baseball games, especially for the NES.

Certainly better than Major League Baseball for the NES.