TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
{''({o..o})''}

Comments that don't warrant a thread

Does anyone else think that Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance is a *far* better game than Mortal Kombat: Deception?

I love DA and still play it to this day. However, I was so bitterly disappointed in Deception that it almost threw me off MK for good.

Never played DA, but practically anything is better than the Xbox version of Deception. I had liked MK4, was excited about the graphics, modes, and online play of MKD, and I wasted $60 on it. Luckily, I got $30 when I traded it in months later toward Resident Evil 4, so it wasn't too bad.

I think Mortal Kombat 4 might even be a little better than MK: Deception.

I don't mean to say that as though MK4 is some horrendously bad game, because it isn't. I quite enjoyed it on the N64, despite some giving it bad reviews. Extras wise, though, Deception dwarfs it, yet is still much less enjoyable.

Guest Zarock

Quick question, in Create-a-Wrestler on HCTP, where are the LOD shouldpads located? Yes, I understand that it's a stupid question, AND I DID IN FACT CHECK OUT THE STUFF LIKE ELBOW-PADS AND UPPER BODY ACCESSORIES BEFOREHAND MR. MAN.

Does anyone else think that Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance is a *far* better game than Mortal Kombat: Deception?

I love DA and still play it to this day. However, I was so bitterly disappointed in Deception that it almost threw me off MK for good.

Anya and I both prefer DA. There may be less moves, but I think the roster is better overall, MKD took away the signature moves (like the special taunts/impales), it was a brand new attempt at a new MK engine while MKD was almost exactly the same, and right now it's a better value. I think most of the DA fatalities are cooler.

Plus there's Cooking with Scorpion, and funny bits in Konquest mode like Cyrax taking revenge on Cage for him watching Ninja Mime.

I think Mortal Kombat 4 might even be a little better than MK: Deception.

I don't mean to say that as though MK4 is some horrendously bad game, because it isn't. I quite enjoyed it on the N64, despite some giving it bad reviews. Extras wise, though, Deception dwarfs it, yet is still much less enjoyable.

Anya thinks so, I think not. MK4 is just too dull, feels too sloppy, and the AI is really really really dumb, as opposed to being just a cheap SOB like the older games. She feels it plays more like playing a human being (perhaps one that never played an MK game ever, though, I guess), so overall she prefers it over MKD.

I like MKDA more than Deception. DA is more polished, balanced, has a better story and was fresher than MKD when it first came out. I'd probably play D over DA now but that's only because D is newer. DA is an overall better game.

And I've always liked MK4. I think it's probably the most underrated of the fighting games. The roster is kind of weak(especially the new characters) but the gameplay is basically classic 2D MK3 style. It also has one of the better stories when connected to Mythologies.

From best to worst I rank them 3 > II > original > 4 > DA > Deception

I barely play the post MK4 games. They're just so sluggish and plodding. The 2D games are not exactly smooth and up to date either but they've got a timeless charm to them. They're old school but still fun in their own simple way. The newer games are like really bad modern 3D fighters. If I wanted to play something like that I'd play one that's actually well made like T5.

If they reuse DA's mechanics for 7 I'm going to be extremely disappointed. They seriously need to go into an entirely new direction. No one is playing these games for depth. You did not see MKD at Evolution 2005. They need to realize this and stop trying to make it like other 3D fighters and instead do the opposite, make it a simple but really wild full 3D game like Powerstone or something. All kinds of crazy stuff like weapons all over the place and real interactive environments. Concentrate on making the fights look cool and unlike anything in a serious fighter and keep it simple. The MK team is very good at creating atmosphere, humor and neat gimmick ideas like the impaling and deathtraps. If they'd focus on that I think it'd be a much better game.

One thing I did like about MKD is the roster. Mostly the people they decided to bring back. It was great seeing people like Nightwolf, Kabal and Sindel again. Characters everyone had assumed would be in one game and never be seen again. 4 and DA relied on too many classic characters that we've seen a million times. Jax doesn't have to be in every game. The world isn't going to end if he sits one out. They really need to start designing better new characters though. Ever since Tobias left it's been horrible. Quan Chi is pretty much the only new character that's made any kind of an impact. None of them stand out. Things like Kung Lao and Raiden's hats, Liu Kang's chicken noises, and Goro's extra arms are iconic. Everyone that plays games knows of those characters. The same can't be said for the newer designs. Who remebers or cares about Kai? Kobra? Yeah...nobody.

MK4 was probably the worst. Most of the new characters were just rip offs of old characters. Two of them didn't even start out as new characters, they were just returning characters altered at the last minute to be someone else.

Oh, and MK4 has the best fatals of the 3D games by far. The camera angles and blood hitting the screen is cool. They also seem like they spent more time on them. The MKD ones are weak. Like 90% of them involve the person blowing up or falling to pieces. It's like MK3 except not as funny. MK4 has Quan Chi beating you to death with your own leg....that tops anything in MKDA and MKD.

Kung Lao's and Cyrax's in MKDA are great though. That giant claw smashing them up and down in Cyrax's is funny everytime. All the goofy over the top ones are my favorites. I think I'm one of the few people that like MK3's. Like Sektor's giant compactor? That's great. I actually sort of LIKE how cheap and rushed they look, with the shoddy animation and million of bones. It just adds to the goofiness. Like their arms floating there when they are cut in half. How lazy.

DA and D behind MK1? Ouch. But I sort of see your reasoning anyway.

"Two of them didn't even start out as new characters, they were just returning characters altered at the last minute to be someone else. "

Jarek and Fujin, right?

No. Jarek is a rip off of Kano but was always himself. He wasn't added till the end of development though.

Fujin is one of the more original new characters. Except maybe his spin and dive kick which are sort of like Kung Lao's.

It's Tanya and Reiko. Kitana was originally in but was changed into Tanya. Her model in Liu Kang's ending is just a blue Tanya. Reiko was originally Noob and was Noob until EXTREMELY late in development, with Noob actually being playable in the test versions and still in for the first nation wide release. Reiko wasn't added until the second nation wide release which has to be a record for rushed character designs. That's why he has one of the worst endings ever in the arcade version. He stands there. A portal opens up. He walks in. The portal closes. The end!!!!!

MK4's development is fascinating. Lots of roster changes and switching around of moves and weapons. They were still deciding what to do as the game was out and being revised. MK games had always been sort of tested in the field, with the games shipping buggy to be fixed later but MK4 was ridiculous. The original official release had one fatality, crashed constantly, had no endings or boss, no opening story, barely working AI and was missing 3 of the playable characters. Calling it a beta would be a stretch. Forcing arcade owners to buy the expensive dedicated cabinets and then shipping a half finished product like that basically killed MK4 right out of the gates. It's probably a good part of the reason Midway isn't making arcade games anymore.

Noob was the basis for a character in MKD too. The new guy Havik with his grim reaper look was originally an alternate costume for Noob. So Noob has been transformed into two seperate people. How great.

MK1 is nostalgic and still has good atmosphere. It(and SF II) is what got me into games so much, so it will always mean a lot to me. 10 years from now I'm not going to still have memories of playing MKD.

It's kind of weird that I still play these games. I don't think most people guess I'd be into them. It's like this anomaly in my gaming interests.

KoF94 Rebout is coming to the US...as a standalone X-Box title. Well, it'll have XB Live and the original Neo Geo game included. I guess it's more worthwhile than SvCC.

At any rate, perhaps that means XB owners will get an online Mark of the Wolves in the near future.

I got Scud The Disposable Assassin for Saturn. Pretty cool game, although too bad I don't have a saturn gun.

One thing I did dig about MKD was Ermac's fleshed out character complete with Venom "We are Ermac" style of speaking in the Konquest mode.

Why does the SFAC box have a 15th Anniversay symbol on it? Released in 2004, it's my understanding that it's 17 years after SF (which as previously mentioned is being treated like a bastard child Capcom never had) and 13 years after the initial SFII. What's the story? And even if I am mistaken and thinking of the MMAC and the SFAC says "10th" on it, that number is still very wrong, only acceptable if it's 10 years since the last release of SFII (Which if memory serves would be 1994 for Super Street) but that's not really how anniversaries work.

"Cyrax has never liked any of Johnny Cage's movies and felt especially robbed of his eight bucks when he saw Johnny's film, NINJA MIME. Cyrax is going to beat those eight dollars out of Johnny Cage's skull." -- MKDA Konquest mode

" > anything in MKD, although yeah, I liked Ermac's revamp as well.

Hyper SF2, the Anniversary Edition, was released in Japan in '03, 15 years from SF1's release (1987). So yes, it's the 15th anniversary of "the SF series," even though it started with a game that Capcom is embarassed to admit they ever made.

All the new SF products have the 15 year logo. They're just celebrating that it's 15 years but doing it too late because Capcom is incompetent.

Shit, they did the same thing with Mega Man.

Speaking of fighters, I'm temptedf to pick up MK:D again since the Kollector's Edition is down to $20-30 now. Ditto SNK vs. Capcom Chaos, which I bought last year in the TR B2G1 sale because they were out of other games I wanted and I enjoyed the demo. The final game turned out to be shit, and I sold it.

I also recently got rid od Street Fighter Anniversary Collection. That was cheap as hell on one player. Third Strike was good, though. It seems I hate all these fighting games on single player, and I'm not good enough to compete in online multiplayer against hardcore players. My friends, sure, but not online. Sad, because all those games are really fun against a similarly skilled opponent.

I almost see where you're coming from with owning the PSP MK games. I entertained the thought at one point of getting all of the Zelda games, even on systems I don't own, just for the sake of it. Then it occured to me just what sheer insanity it would be to spend more than a nickel on Wand of Gamelon or Faces of Evil.

However, I still want to play Zelda's Adventure.

Overview: http://www.ganonstower.com/zldadv.shtml

Screens: http://www.ganonstower.com/scr131.shtml

What's worse with Mega Man is that the GBA AC is going to come out no sooner than 2006, if it doesn't get converted to DS, that is.

I sort of don't want to continue collecting since I've lost a lot of interest afte the 2D games. I've just got so many it seems like I have to continue. I don't want to have like every game....except two versions of MKD.

3rd Strike is quickly becoming my favorite 2D fighter ever.

Did you get the Japan Import PS1 MK2?

How are the GBA MKs besides MKA? I know about Deadly Alliance missing characters and TE used the rest of them, but that's about it.

Yeah, it cost a fortune but a got a new, sealed copy of MK II PSX.

The other GBA games pretty much suck. The graphics are good but the gameplay feels awful and has bad collision. MKTE does have some content not in DA but it's mostly recycled palatte swaps and levels ripped from MK II.

The only games I'm missing are MK for Master System, MK II for Amiga and MK 3 for Gamegear.

I guess that is WHAT HE GETS! Now perform Cyrax's Ninjitsu Pain Killer Style Branch combo and then juggle the prima donna with the Spinkick special attack.

Staying in character, Johnny seems to have miraculously come back to life! Now perform Cyrax's Style Branch combo beginning with the Sambo style, then into the Pulse Blade style, and then juggle him senseless with the Slice And Dice special attack.

Maybe you actually like movies about mimes. No matter. Beat his skull anyway. Most impressive!

Johnny Cage first used Jeet Kune Do in his first film, NINJA MIME. The movie was a flop in the US, but a huge success in France.

A memorable scene in NINJA MIME entailed Johnny Cage using his Knuckle Fist pop-up...silently...against a very rude man. This move allowed him to pop his opponent into the air long enough to execute another attack.

Johnny Cage first used the Nunchaku in his Oscar winning film, HWAAAAA!! Johnny played the villain opposite the great Channie Jack of Hong Kong theater. Execute some of these high attacks he used against Channie.

In 1991 Johnny Cage was a contestant on the hit game show, Celebrity Smash TV. In the final round, he threw his Forceball at Mutoid Man and won the game. Johnny Cage donated all his prize money to charity.

That's why he died after MK II and was replaced by a new actor in MK Trilogy. Him becoming a joke character is because John Vogel liked his portrayal in the movie.

A lot of the modern designs of the characters are based on the movie. Like Reptile's lizard appearance, Kano's australian accent and Kitana and Liu Kang being in love.

Johnny Cage becoming a joke character pissed me off. I was a big Cage fan, and Linden Ashby was pretty good as him in the movie (what with the huge ego and all), but all of the sudden in the games he becomes a huge jackass or dead.

Here's hoping he becomes a slightly better character in Shaolin Monks.

The scans for the X-Box review of Shaolin Monks are pretty cool and make the game look quite promising. Versus mode looks worthless, however adventure mode and the add-on of MKII really make me want this thing badly.

I'd definitely be up for an MKIII version of Shaolin Monks (you know what I mean) if it meant an arcade port of MK3. I frikken loved that game.

The MK3 on MAT3 is probably the best home version. Still isn't perfect, there's some sound issues and slowdown on PS2, but it's very close. What sucks is that unlocking Smoke isn't saved so you have to enter the Ultimate Kombat Kode everytime you play which is very hard for one person to do with two controllers.

You also can't fight Smoke in the MKII on MAT2, AFAIK.

The shadows in both games flicker madly whenever they actually appear. There should have just been an option to turn them off completely.

"Master Bo' Rai Cho has never married. This next move that he will show you is the reason why. Most heroes impress the ladies with their kombat skills. Master Bo' Rai Cho repulses them with his.

In a vulgar, but most effective maneuver, the young Bo' Rai Cho would vomit on the ground in front of his opponent. If his opponent stepped in the bile, he would slip uncontrollably. This moment of immobility would give Bo' Rai Cho a chance to attack.

*Impress Kitana with Bo' Rai Cho's Puke Puddles 3 times.*"

I like home versions of the games because they add different modes and have codes to do fatalities with one button (yeah, I suck)... plus the true arcade conversion of MKII is wicked hard. But as for arcade ports o na cheap disc, they are fun.