TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Smues

This week in baseball

Guest Smues

Tonight the Atlanta/Chicago game is being broadcast on WGN, ESPN, and TBS according to tvguide.com. I've seen ESPN and TBS do a Braves game at the same time, but was just waiting for a game against Chicago where WGN had it too. How awesome. Take your pick of which announce team you want.

Guest Mosaicv2

The Red Sox and Rangers series for some reason I find interesting.

Holy shit. The Mets beat the Nationals at home, 5-2.

If they can win in Washington with Ishii starting, this series is gonna go a lot better than I expected.

The Houston Astros have quietly snuck back into third place, only 2.5 back of the Cubs, who are stuck at .500 AGAIN.

Why oh why are my Cubs doing so badly? I really don't get it. It seems like it should be so easy to win with this team, and they're not. Who knows where they'd be without Derrek Lee. What is it going to take to right this ship?

EDIT: double post. To make it count, I'll add:

Patterson needs to be dropped in the order, benched, or taught how to swing a bat. Home runs are great, Corey, but they count more when there are men on base. When you bat leadoff, there are not men on base so often. Thus, instead of swinging for the fences every damn at-bat, get on first so that somebody else can swing for the fences later in the order. Someone like Derrek Lee, Aramis Ramirez, or Jeromy Burnitz. I hear they're pretty good at that stuff!

All in all, it seems like we've put together a team that Earl Weaver would have loved, strong pitching rotation, power hitters, and we're trying to play small ball. Why is Jeromy Burnitz trying to steal a base. I mean really. Kasper and/or Brenly always bring up that the Cubs lead the majors in home runs, as if it's a bad thing. How about bringing up that they're dead last in drawing walks, which really IS a bad thing. It makes a hell of a lot more sense to rely on the longball than to rely on sacrifice bunts and stolen bases, especially with this bunch of guys. Just get on base and stay on base. That's the last piece of the puzzle, I think.

I looked in last weeks thread and maybe I missed it but Bret Boone was released today.

SEATTLE -- Bret Boone made a tearful exit from the Seattle Mariners, who cut the three-time All-Star on Sunday after a half-season of struggles at the plate.

The second baseman, a 12-year veteran with 252 homers, was designated for assignment. Seattle has 10 days to trade him or put him on waivers.

"It's tough. I was looking at it, and I think it's all for the better, really. I think it's time for me to go," Boone said, his voice breaking up. "It's still emotional. I'm actually excited about what the future holds but ... It's a pretty sad day for me."

Boone, 36, is hitting .231 with seven homers and 34 RBI. He was benched for four games two weeks ago to work on his swing with batting instructor Don Baylor. On his return, he played well during a three-game series in San Diego, but manager Mike Hargrove said Sunday that "he has reverted back to where he was before."

Seattle is responsible for the remainder of his $8.25 million salary this year. Boone talked to his teammates after the game and then spoke with reporters.

"There was no anger. It was kind of sad," Boone said. "Once it happened, I went home. I just wanted to collect myself and watch and think about what happened. I want to go get a fresh start somewhere. I want to win."

He added that he wants to go to a team where he'll be an everyday player.

Boone hit .331 in 2001 with 37 home runs and 141 RBI. He finished third in the AL MVP vote behind Oakland's Jason Giambi and the winner, teammate Ichiro Suzuki.

"I'm very disappointed on how I've played to this point," Boone said. "Sometimes change is good. It lights a spark and you get back to being more like yourself. It's just time."

General manager Bill Bavasi said the 10-day period to deal with Boone "was to put a deadline on ourselves as well as anyone who has interest in him."

"People mistake designating a player as a loss of leverage," Bavasi said. "You have to evaluate the leverage you had. A deadline applies some sort of leverage. I don't want to say we are hopeful of making a deal that significantly improves this club. Our goal right now is to make as fair a deal as we can make and find a place where he can play every day."

Bavasi said that he had talked to several clubs about potential trades involving Boone. He said he had the makings of a deal a week ago "but it didn't have legs."

"We had some decent discussions but as you know very little happens in baseball without a deadline," he said. "We felt a change was in order. We want to get better every day. We want to improve our club right now. It's as much as getting Jose Lopez on the club as it was to designate Bret Boone for assignment."

Bavasi said that Boone was "very, very professional" when told the news two hours before Sunday's 2-1 win over Texas. Boone's father, Bob, and grandfather, Ray, were both major-leaguers.

"He understands the business," Bavasi said. "That's not to say he was happy about it. He likes Seattle. He has had a lot of good times here. So it's difficult."

Shortstop Lopez and outfielder Chris Snelling were recalled from Triple-A Tacoma, and infielder Dave Hansen was placed on the 15-day disabled list with an inflamed elbow.

Lopez was hitting .264 with four home runs and 11 RBI for Tacoma. He had missed the first six weeks of the season after surgery to repair a broken bone in his left hand. While Boone was benched, Lopez played second for the Mariners and hit .250 with a pair of doubles and four RBI in six games. He was sent back to Tacoma after Boone returned to the starting role.

It's in the thread for last week since it happened yesterday.

Re: the Cubs. Their whole thing is they don't draw walks or really get guys on base. Homers aren't a bad thing, but they do little damage when their mostly solo homers. When there is a baserunner or two, those things show up more.

Putting Hairston and Walker in the one-two slots is a start. They're going to get on base more and give D-Lee more RBI situations. In the way of trades, since Adam Dunn's supposedly on the market because of his contract, I say they go after him. He's going to provide power, hits, and OBP. Forget the strikeouts. People dog him because of that, but fail to see we've held on to guys like Sosa in the past and Patterson now. Strikesout aren't as bad if the guy's getting on base the rest of the time. Dunn would create more run-scoring possibilities and waken up leftfield.

Of course, there's a rumor going around that a deal to send Dunn to Houston is a strong possibility, so this could wind up like last year where the Astros land a guy that would've definitely helped the Cubs.

I'll take Dunn. OBP would be great. He better not go to Houston though, now that they've finally gotten their shit together.

So would a good lineup be

Hairston

Walker

Garciaparra

Lee

Burnitz

Dunn

Ramirez

Barrett

Pitcher

?

Guest Mosaicv2
Well, we blew a 6-0 lead. Where were you then?

Because I knew you were going say something since your so sensitive when people talk negative about your team.

Holy god the Cubs suck. I knew Brenly blowing off the Atl. starters for tonight and tomorrow by calling them "who and who?" would blow up in our face. Looks like it's back under .500 since we can't score a run off this Braves pitching.

The only solace I can take from todays loss is that the Sox lost too, and the Os are still 2.5 games out.

But its not gonna matter much if the Os keep playing like they have over the last week, they'll be watching what TB is doing trying to avoid finishing in last place at this rate.

Reminds me of Major League with Willie Mays Hayes, who in part 1 was a speedy smallball hitter, and part two decided to be a home run slugger.

The Jimmy Rollins story! Last year he was better, but he seems to be back in the mindset of a power hitter this year.

Obviously Rollins shouldn't swing for the fences, but he has value as a power hitter, particularly when he can slice line drives into the gap and run out triples.

Yeesh. The Yankees are just taking batting practice on this Lopez guy. 6-0 in the third.

Probably doesn't help that the Orioles have committed three errors so far.

Guest Mosaicv2
Well, we blew a 6-0 lead. Where were you then?

Because I knew you were going say something since your so sensitive when people talk negative about your team.

People only talk negative about my team, so it gets tiresome.

tiresome? in my mind it's not :lol:

by the way I bet the "stupid" Orioles will continue to play like shit against your team and play hard as ass against the Sox probably.