TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MarvinisaLunatic

Simpsons Season 6 DVD Set Complaint

Get seasons 3-8. After 8, I stopped enjoying it as much as before and it really descended into stupidity.

The best season is 3, I think.

Originally I thought it was only good up until Season 9 (NY, the gun, The Leader, Joining the Navy, Garbage Commissioner) and thought most of Season 10 sucked at the time it originally aired (especially with the far superior Family Guy hitting the airwaves halfway through), but in light of later episodes, I'd say Season 10 was the last decent season, even though it began the "Homer gets new job every week" trend (e.g. inventor, celebrity butler, bodyguard, trucker, artist)

Season 11 started off allright with the Mel Gibson episode, but descended quickly with the Ritalin parody and Homer-as-food-critic, then really fell off the map with the first bad ToH and finally with Tomacco, which I always point to as the episode changing my view on the show's progession

They're being babies on the simpsonsbox.com website too. Talk about being bitter. Not all of us like Fisher Price plastic toys amongst our dvds.

I guess I'm one of the few that doesn't get the obsession with TV shows on DVD. I do have the three Family Guy seasons on DVD, but I bought those after the show went off the air on FOX the first time, and before the show started getting shown ad nauseum on "Adult Swim."

We have a local FOX affiliate that runs "the Simpsons" three times per day (and this isn't taking into account all the other local stations running the Simpsons, or FOX network's Sunday night airings), so I guess I don't feel the need to buy a DVD set so I can sit down and watch the same episodes I've already seen about a dozen times. I guess I just don't get the appeal.

Yeah, they do spoil us I guess. They run a one hour block between 6 and 7 PM (usually one episode is newer and one is older, though not always the case). Then they have another episode at 10 PM, IIRC (I usually don't bother with that one). At my last job I actually met the programmer from the station, and he said people asked him why he couldn't just run it all the time...he laughed and said "well, we're already running it three times per day!" Some people just can't get enough of the Simpsons, I guess.

Which is why people buy the sets. Plus, sometimes listening to the commentary can be kind of amusing, if you like that sort of thing (behind the scenes stuff).

Don't forget the dreaded syndication cuts. It may not be a big deal but when you KNOW a joke is supposed to be there and it isn't.. argh.

Syndication cuts out a whole set of jokes with Dr. Colossus in the 7th seasons "Who Shot Mr. Burns II" that I quite enjoy. I also enjoy commentaries from Groening and co., though if your DVD commentary experience is based on Family Guy I wouldn't blame you for questioning it as being worthwhile.

I just picked this set up, and I'm fine with it. No it doesn't match up with the other sets, but that's no problem for me. I plan on ordering the alternate packaging, then using this Homer face thing as a display. I'll do that with all of the upcoming sets.

simpbig2sc4wg.jpg

I like this packaging, once you open Homer's head... I love the way the DVDs are set up.

And I bought mine at Best Buy. It came with a plastic sleeve that matches the side art of all the other DVDs...it's black and has Chief Wiggum and Mr. Burns. It matches all of the others from the side and looks good on the shelf.

I have found a major problem with this set. When you select the deleted scene option, and see the logo in the corner to view the deleted scene, after the scene plays, it atumotacially starts playing the next episode on the disc. Is there a way to view the deleted scenes seperatly?

Yeah, mine came with the plastic slipcover also, pretty cool.

I also picked up The Office First Season (US/NBC version) while I was at it. I wanted to get Undeclared, but WalMart didn't have it. I'll get The Andy Griffith Show Season 3 in the next DDD sale.

I love how when I open Homer's head, the booklet and all of the cardboard/paper packings falls out and lands on the floor. Yeah, definitely a great thing.

Can't wait for normal packaging.

Does anyone know what color the alternative box will look like? I think it's cool they're actually sending out the alternative ones for those who want it, but I wasn't sure if there were any pictures or news as to what color the box is.

My brother just brought mine from BB and wow, awful. The outer plastic slipcase, anyway. If it weren't for the spine, I'd assume it's meant to be thrown away. And when I get the replacement box, I'm sure it will be.

If the next 4 or 5 are going to be the heads of all of the Simpsons, I don't see the reasoning behind getting the replacement boxes. I imagine they will go a different route for seasons 11-15 as well.

Eh, it's not the nicest, but I do like the DVD case on the inside of the head.

If the next 4 or 5 are going to be the heads of all of the Simpsons, I don't see the reasoning behind getting the replacement boxes. I imagine they will go a different route for seasons 11-15 as well.

Eh, it's not the nicest, but I do like the DVD case on the inside of the head.

Because it looks and feels cheap. I could probably deal with this if the case were made of something more sturdy than the plastic they make take-home boxes at restaurants out of. I'm predicting being able to open the case no more than 20 times before it no longer closes properly.

I gave up on calling the number so Im doing the website.

I think its hillarious having to pick a reason why I want the box. Im going with Lonely: Will pretend box is my new friend.

$3 isn't a big price to pay to have a box that will last, because that cheap plastic box/cheap plastic slip thing won't last.

I just watched the first episode in this set, and I haven't see it in a very long time. I forgot how funny it is to me hearing Flanders scream there at the end. :D