TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MarvinisaLunatic

Simpsons Season 6 DVD Set Complaint

B0009NZ2VU.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

WTF?

Like that is going to fit in with the previous 5 seasons. Why couldn't they just keep with the design of the previous sets?

Its not going to stop me from getting it, but Im not gonna be happy, although I doubt anyone else will care like I do (its not that I don't like it, I think its cool, but it would have been better for season 1..)

Holy Over-reacting Batman!

I just found out that the Homer's Head part is a slip cover and that the box itself will look just like the previous 5. I don't understand that (it makes it a lot of work to open the slipcover just to get to the regular box to open to fold out to get to the DVDs as much as I will end up watching them).

This reminded me that I should have bought the Seasons 1-5 boxed set collection when it was on sale on Amazon for $90.  It's now $150+. :'(

They're on EBay all the time for between $80 and $100

I don't buy used for the most part. I'm pretty anal about my CDs, video games, and DVDs being in perfect condition.

Even though I don't like this packaging, season 6 is one of the best seasons in the show's history, so I'll be picking it up.

This reminded me that I should have bought the Seasons 1-5 boxed set collection when it was on sale on Amazon for $90.  It's now $150+. :'(

They're on EBay all the time for between $80 and $100

I don't buy used for the most part. I'm pretty anal about my CDs, video games, and DVDs being in perfect condition.

Usually they're new and sealed.

Nice. I better buy Season Five soon before Six comes out.

As for Matt Young's complaint about buying stuff new and perfect, I've run into many DVDs from Be(a)st Buy that were damaged, usually because of damage to the packaging. When I bought the Ultimate Matrix Collection, Reloaded had a scratch from one of the disc holders shattering. Shards of plastic spilled out of the case. Needless to say, I exchanged it for a new one.

However, I still don't trust eBay enough to purchase stuff from it.

It makes sense, as Season 6 marked a change in the show and provided signs that a decline was on the way.  Though not intentional, the new packaging helps with organizing "good simpsons" and "bad simpsons".

The signs that the show was declining didn't hit till around Season 8-9. Season 6 was producing some of the best episodes of the series. In no way should this season be labelled as 'bad simpsons'. They should have reserved the stupid head box sets starting with Season 9 or 10.

Season 6 has the Critic crossover... Groening promised a good commentary for that one. I eagerly await. Also I love the episode "Homer Bad Man" or whatever it's called (with the babysitter that accuses him of sexual harassment).

Rock Bottom is too awesome.

Season 6 I think also has the first part of the "Who shot Mr. Burns?" Should be a great season set.

Stores are inundated with TV on DVD at the current time.  As a result, creative packaging is a must for subsequent seasons of shows like The Simpsons.

It's that easy.

A) Its the freaking Simpsons, not Mama's Family or some other show from the 80's that people only remember because they saw it in reruns.

B) Anyone buying season 6 more than likely already has the previous 5 and would buy it no matter what it looks like. Granted, there might be a few people who haven't bought the previous 5, but buy Season 6 and then go out and buy the other 5, but it can't be that many by now, and I can't see people buying just Season 6. So I dont see what benefit the slip cover will provide aside from it looking cool on the shelf in the store but being a pain on my DVD shelf.

104. Bart Of Darkness (edit)

First aired: 9/4/1994

Writer: Dan McGrath

Director: Jim Reardon

Guest star: Maggie Roswell (Maude Flanders, Nurse), Russi Taylor (Sherri, Terri, Martin Prince)

It is really hot and the Simpson family does not have air conditioning. They try to live in a tent beside the refrigerator, but that does not work. Otto drives by with a traveling swimming pool. This gives Bart and Lisa the idea to hound Homer for a pool which they relentlessly do until he caves in and buys them one. All the kids in the neighborhood come by to use it. Bart tries to jump from his tree house into the pool, but winds up breaking his leg. He will have to spend the rest of the summer in a cast, so there will be no more swimming for him. He watches as Lisa becomes incredibly popular. Bart finds himself a new hobby by spying on the neighborhood with Lisa's telescope. While looking out the "Rear Window" of the house, Bart thinks he's seen Flanders commit a murder. He gets Lisa to break into Flanders' house and look for clues. He watches as Flanders returns home with an axe. He goes to help her, broken leg and all. Then Flanders tells them that Maude has been away with the kids, but now she is back.

Ok episode. "Tis a nice barn, but tis no pool, English" "Continue swimming naked" and the Jimmy Stewart reference were great.

105. Lisa's Rival (edit)

First aired: 9/11/1994

Writer: Mike Scully

Director: Mark Kirkland

Guest star: Winona Ryder (Allison Taylor), Russi Taylor (Sarah, Martin Prince, Uter, Sherri)

Lisa wants to practice her saxophone because she is auditioning for first chair in the school band. A new student named Allison enters her class. Allison was skipped ahead a grade by Principal Skinner. Lisa is really jealous of her and is horrified to learn that Allison is going for first chair saxophone, too. Meanwhile, Homer and Bart find an overturned truck full of sugar. Homer fills up his car with it. Lisa loses her quest for first chair and Allison becomes the new smart girl at school, making Lisa feel terrible. When Lisa tries to befriend her, it does not work. Bart helps her think of a way to beat Allison at an upcoming diorama contest. Homer guards his sugar pile in the backyard and he is completely paranoid about an Englishman trying to steal it to put it into his tea. Instead bees find his stash. Beekeepers come to get them back. When it rains, Homer's sugar pile melts into the ground. Bart and Lisa manage to sabotage Allison's project, but Lisa can't go through with it. Neither of them wins the contest anyway; first place goes to Ralph Wiggum. The three smart kids, Lisa, Allison, and Ralph, walk home together.

Awful for the most part, as all Lisa-centric episodes are (which season 6 had a nice healthy dose of) - Ralph is the only good part about it, as well as Barts affinity for spraying Allison with a hose.

106. Another Simpson Clip Show (edit)

First aired: 9/25/1994

Writer: Penny Wise

Director: David Silverman

Guest star: Albert Brooks (Jacques), Sara Gilbert (Laura Powers), Jon Lovitz (Artie Ziff), Michelle Pfeiffer (Mindy Simmons), Michael Carrington (Krusty Anniversary Announcer)

Through a series of clips from past episodes, the family recounts their trials and tribulations with love.

Bad, even in relation to other clip shows.

107. Itchy & Scratchyland (edit)

First aired: 10/2/1994

Writer: John Swartzwelder

Director: Wesley Archer

Guest star: Maggie Roswell (Ticket Booth Women, Various)

Bart and Lisa see an advertisement for a new theme park, "Itchy & Scratchyland". They beg their parents to go, but Marge resists. She remembers all the times that Homer has ruined family vacations. Eventually she caves in and they hit the road. The park is very violent, raising Marge's old concerns. There are robot parades and terrifying rides. Homer and Marge agree to split up with Bart and Lisa. When some slack-jawed yokel takes a picture of a robot, it goes crazy and starts running amok. Security captures Bart after he abuses the costumed Itchy characters. When they put him in a cell, he sees Homer there. Homer is in for the same crime. The robots in the park all start to malfunction and go crazy. When security frees Homer and Bart, they get in a confrontation with the robots. Everyone else has left the park, so it's up to them to win back the theme park. They use cameras to beat the robots. The Simpson family returns home unscathed and watch an "Itchy & Scratchy" cartoon.

Fantastic episode. One of my favourites. "Throw her in the hole", "Bort", "Tell em Itchy sent ya" "Possib-lie", "Your older, fatter, balder son" "My children need wine".

108. Sideshow Bob Roberts (edit)

First aired: 10/9/1994

Writer: Josh Weinstein, Bill Oakley

Guest star: Dr. Demento (Voice of Himself), Larry King (Himself), Henry Corden (Fred Flintstone)

Homer has been listening to a conservative radio talk show host. One day Sideshow Bob calls in from prison, voicing his conservative views. The host, Barlow, gets Sideshow Bob released from prison. Upon Sideshow Bob's release, the town's Republicans want him to run for mayor against Quimby. Bob outwits Quimby in every debate and wins by a huge landslide. Lisa is skeptical (as usual) about how he did it, so she investigates. Meanwhile, Homer has problems with the gang from Riverdale. Sideshow Bob imposes a few new policies. For one he condemns the Simpsons' house to help make way for the new Matlock Expressway, much to the delight of the seniors. Second, he gets Bart placed in kindergarten. Lisa discovers how Sideshow Bob won the election: he had dead people vote for him. He admits to all of this when Bart and Lisa outwit him in front of the town. Sideshow Bob goes back to prison.

Good episode, can't really say too much about it.

109. Treehouse Of Horror V (edit)

First aired: 10/30/1994

Writer: Greg Danula, Dan McGrath, David X. Cohen, Bob Kushell

Guest star: James Earl Jones (Maggie), Russi Taylor (Uter)

a)."The Shinning" The family become caretakers of an estate in the mountains, where no beer and television make Homer go crazy. b)."Time & Punishment" Homer fixes the toaster and it becomes a time machine. While visiting the past, he kills a bug, which affects the future in a big way. c)."Nightmare Cafeteria" Principal Skinner finds a solution to his overcrowding problem and the quality of meat in the cafeteria.

Agh. I'm a lil mixed. Willie dying is great, "That's Willies time", "There's a lil uter in all of us". But it's not nearly as good as IV.

110. Bart's Girlfriend (edit)

First aired: 11/6/1994

Writer: Jonathan Collier

Director: Susie Dietter

Guest star: Meryl Streep (Jessica Lovejoy)

The parents stop the kids in the middle of their game and bring them to church. Bart sees Lovejoy's daughter, Jessica and it's love at first sight for him. He tries to impress her, even by trying to become a good person, but nothing is working. So he goes back to being the devil's cabana boy and pulls a prank on Willie. This is what impresses Jessica, so she invites him over for dinner. The Lovejoys do not like him, especially after talking about last night's episode of Martin. This makes Jessica like him even more. They hang out together and behave badly, but she pretends not to know him in public. Jessica is using him, but he will do anything to please her, but it begins to depress him. He vows to quit seeing her, but he just can't help himself. Of Jessica and Bart, he is the lesser of two evils, especially when Jessica pins the blame on him after she steals the church's collection plate. The congregation chases him and Jessica won't come forward; it's up to Lisa to tell everyone that it was Jessica that stole the plate. The plate is found in Jessica's room, Jessica continues on making men do whatever she wants.

Bart becomes a big pussy. Sign of things to come. Not very good.

111. Lisa On Ice (edit)

First aired: 11/13/1994

Director: Bob Anderson

Guest star: Russi Taylor (Sherri, Terri, Martin Prince, Uter)

Bart has to give a report, but Skinner calls all the students down for an assembly. He passes out slips that tell the students if they are failing. To Lisa's horror, she is failing gym. She has to join an outside sports program to pass. They all go to see Bart play hockey under Chief Wiggum and Homer is one of those hyper-competitive dads. Apu is the coach of the opposing team, and he thinks that Lisa has similar talent to Bart's. He makes her his goalie and she is very good as she develops the "eye of the tiger" and the "mouth of a teamster," and she soon makes her team a winner. Now that Lisa is a popular jock, Bart tries to become a teacher's pet in school. When bullies beat him up, she saves him and he really begins to resent her. They get into a physical confrontation and they soon have to play each other on the ice. It is a huge game and everyone is there. As the game ends, they decide to stop trying to compete with each other. When the game ends in a tie, everyone riots and destroys the stadium.

AGH! Awful.

112. Homer Badman (edit)

First aired: 11/27/1994

Writer: Greg Daniels

Director: Jeffrey Lynch

Guest star: Pamela Hayden (Sally Jesse Raphael), Tress MacNeille (Woman At Protest), Maggie Roswell (Ashley, Various), Dennis Franz (Himself)

After hiring a feminist babysitter, Homer and Marge go to a candy trade show. They smuggle out candy for the kids. Homer steals a rare piece of candy, but he can't find it when he gets home. When he gives the babysitter a ride home he sees the candy stuck to her posterior. When he grabs for it, she screams and runs away. He awakes the next morning to find protestors on his lawn and the babysitter leads them in a sexual harassment campaign. They make Homer's life a living hell. Homer does an interview for a tabloid TV show thinking that America will hear his case, but all they hear is what a complete jerk he is. FOX does a TV movie about him and he is depicted even worse in this portrayal. The news has around-the-clock coverage of the situation. The Simpson family does a public access show to clear his name, but it does not help his cause. Willie comes to Homer and shows him a video that he recorded of the night in question. Homer shows the babysitter and she realizes that she was wrong about him being an ass-grabber and the news admits that it was wrong about him, too. With all the forgiveness going on, Homer makes up with his TV set.

See you in hell, CANDY BOYS! Classic.

113. Grandpa vs. Sexual Inadequacy (edit)

First aired: 12/4/1994

Guest star:

Homer is having trouble getting it on with Marge. They buy an audio book to rekindle their sex life, while Bart gets a book about the UFO conspiracy. Homer and Marge start trying the books ideas, but nothing works. Abe tells Homer of a home remedy that will give him an instant hard-on. After it works like a charm, Homer has the idea to market it. He and Abe pitch the tonic at malls to start and everyone begins buying it. The children begin to notice that all of their parents have disappeared. Homer and Abe then go on to neighboring towns and they start to get on each other's nerves. Bart and Milhouse start to form conspiracy theories as to where all the adults are. Abe and Homer go to their old house and relive the good old days. This puts them even more at odds and Homer deserts Abe. He is furious with him. Homer decides to spend more time with his kids. Abe gets Barney to replace Homer as he continues to pitch the product. Homer's half-assed over-parenting does not work very well on his kids. He goes back to the house for inspiration and meets back up with his father, but their loving reunion is soured when the house goes up in flames.

Ok.

114. Fear Of Flying (edit)

First aired: 12/18/1994

Writer: David Sacks

Guest star: Anne Bancroft (Dr. Zweig), Ted Danson (Sam Malone), Woody Harrelson (Woody Boyd), Rhea Perlman (Carla Tortelli), John Ratzenberger (Cliff Clavin), George Wendt (Norm Peterson), Pamela Hayden (Stewardess, Lesbian)

Homer gets banned from Moe's and while searching for a new place "where everybody knows his name" stumbles into an airport bar and ends up almost flying a plane after being mistaken for a pilot. The airline gives him free airline tickets so he won't tell anyone. He takes the family and Marge goes nutso on the plane. Back at home, she starts acting really crazy. Lisa wants her to go into therapy, but Homer is reluctant. He is afraid a shrink will tell Marge to leave him. He rents some videos for her, so she won't have to go into therapy. They are "Hero," "Fearless," and "Alive." Soon afterward she goes into therapy, which reveals that she's repressed something she saw her father do when she was a young girl. It turns out her father was a stewardess.

The cheers stuff aside, this wasn't a good one. I dunno if it started in season 6, but "unexpected character twists that are never seen before or after" is really common in this season.

115. Homer The Great (edit)

First aired: 1/8/1995

Guest star: Patrick Stewart (#1)

Homer has trouble with a plumber and at work he begins noticing that Lenny and Carl have a lot of mysterious privileges at work. Lenny keeps giving hints that they are part of a secret. Homer follows them one night when they go to their secret meeting place. Every male in Springfield that he knows is in the place. Lenny lets it slip that they are the Stonecutters and Homer wants to be a member. He discovers that Abe is a member, which means that he can easily become a member. They initiate him with painful rituals and he is member #908. As a Stonecutter, the plumber quickly fixes the leak in his basement and he gets a new parking space at work. When they celebrate a big occasion Homer desecrates a sacred parchment. As his punishment Homer is kicked out of the club and they take his clothes. Upon stripping him, they discover a birthmark. It is shaped like their logo, which means he must be the chosen one. They begin to worship him. They let him win at card games. Soon his life becomes meaningless and too easy. Lisa recommends that he begin helping people in the community using his new authority. The Stonecutters don't like helping people, so they form a new secret society, the "No Homers". As the only Stonecutter left, he begins feeling lonely. Marge makes him realize that he is part of a more exclusive club... the Simpson family.

I love this episode, but it follows the previous format. Ah well, Let's have Ribs.

116. And Maggie Makes Three (edit)

First aired: 1/22/1995

Writer: Jennifer Crittenden

Director: Swinton O. Scott III

Guest star:

Family time together has Homer telling the story of why there are no pictures of Maggie in the house.

Awful attempt at sentimentality.

117. Bart's Comet (edit)

First aired: 2/5/1995

Guest star: Pamela Hayden (Ham)

Principal Skinner releases a weather balloon, but Bart turns it into an anti-Skinner prank. Principal Skinner is upset, so Bart's punishment is to help him log amateur astronomy sky coordinates. Bart gets up at 4:30 AM to assist Skinner. When Skinner steps away, Bart discovers a comet. The nerds of the school, super friends, soon embrace him. When they figure out that his comet is approaching Springfield and will annihilate the town, Professor Frink comes up with a plan to intercept the comet with a missile. Unfortunately the missile misses and destroys the only bridge out of town; the people of Springfield are doomed! The Flanders family let the Simpsons in their bomb shelter. The rest of the town asks Ned if they can come in as well. When the shelter is too full, one person has to leave, so they kick Ned Flanders out. Soon they feel guilty about it, so they all leave to die with him. The comet comes through the atmosphere and breaks apart due to all of Springfield's polluted clouds.

Let's just sit here and twiddle our thumbs... dooo dodododo... The animal guessing game, the superfriends, awesome stuff.

118. Homie The Clown (edit)

First aired: 2/12/1995

Director: David Silverman

Guest star: Dick Cavett (Himself), Johnny Unitas (Himself)

Onstage, Krusty entertains children with his antics on television; offstage, he spends money like a madman. Fat Tony shows up to his office and demands the money he is owed. Krusty has been gambling and his various products have been highly unsuccessful. At his accountant's advice him to regionalize, Krusty establishes a Clown College. Homer sees the billboard advertising the school and cannot get it out of his head. He starts seeing clowns everywhere. He even shapes his mashed potatoes into a clown tent. He enrolls in the classes. Krusty is his teacher, who gives absurd lectures, but Homer actually pays attention; although he can't seem to get the hang of Krusty's trademark trick with a small bicycle. Graduation day arrives. Graduates will serve as Krusty's doubles in regional promotions. Homer gets to do Springfield. He opens new fast food restaurants, performs at birthday parties, and co-hosts the "Ace" cable awards. Homer begins to dislike his new career and decides to quit, but then he realizes that looking like Krusty may have his advantages. He can get out of speeding tickets, get discounts from Apu, and get good deals at restaurants. Meanwhile, Krusty is making more foolish bets, such as betting everything against the Harlem Globetrotters. The mob takes over at the clown college. Fat Tony threatens to kill Krusty, but Krusty escapes. He goes with his capos to find Krusty. Meanwhile Homer, dressed as Krusty, is trying to get a good deal on a car. They keep trying to shoot him, but luckily for him, they miss. The real Krusty has plastic surgery, but he looks the same (except for his breasts). The mob kidnaps Homer and takes him to Don Vittorio, where they plan to kill him. They say they won't if he can do the bicycle trick. Krusty comes just in the nick of time and Homer and Krusty both do the trick together to avoid their execution. Don Vittorio and Krusty settle the outstanding debt.

I used to love this episode - and it does have its moments (Homer mugging the Hamburgerler, the Close Encounters parody) but its another case of "homer does something whacky" and hasn't really aged all that well.

119. Bart vs. Australia (edit)

First aired: 2/19/1995

Guest star: Phil Hartman (Evan Conover)

Lisa explains the Coriolis Effect to Bart, but he does not believe it, so he makes a collect call to Australia to ask them about which way their water drains. When Bart doesn't hang up, Australia owes $900. They want Bart to pay, but he insults them. Bart soon gets dozens of letters in the mail. Then Australia indicts him for fraud. America wants to send him to Australia to make an apology. The family is sent to Australia, where they start exploring the culture. Bart makes his apology, but they want to give the additional punishment of a boot to his ass. Bart and Homer escape the booting and they try to run back to the embassy. Bart agrees to have them do the booting anyway, but instead he moons Australia. The Simpson family leaves the outraged country in a helicopter.

Great at the time, has some good scenes (Knifey Spoony), but "Simpsons in..." has been done to death since. The end was great though.

120. Homer vs. Patty And Selma (edit)

First aired: 2/26/1995

Writer: Brent Forrester

Guest star: Mel Brooks (Himself), Susan Sarandon (Ballet Instructor)

Homer invests in pumpkins and loses all his money. Bart is late for school, so he isn't able to sign up for the physical education class that he wants, the only class left is ballet. Homer struggles to pay his debts. Patty and Selma recently got promotions and raises at work and despite his blinding hatred for them; Homer asks Patty and Selma to lend him money. He can't let Marge know, so they blackmail and torture him. Bart finds that he has a knack for ballet and he learns to love it. Marge's sisters really push Homer's buttons but when Marge finds out, Homer feels ashamed. Bart feels a little ashamed, too, about his new talent. Homer decides to become a chauffeur to earn money and pay back his debt and one of his fares is Mel Brooks. When he gets pulled over, Chief Wiggum discovers that Homer has no chauffeur's license. Homer has to go to the DMV where Patty and Selma work. Bart performs in front of his school and bullies beat him up afterward. Homer has to take a driving test with Marge's sisters and they flunk him. After failing him, they light up cigarettes in the afterglow. While this would cost them their promotions, since they work in a government building, Homer saves them by saying they are his cigarettes. He tells them that he did it for Marge, because fighting with them is so hard on her. In appreciation for saving their jobs, they call off the debt.

Oh good lord, awful, awful, awful. Bart in Ballet is such a horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible thing. The only purpose was to make Bart more of a pussy. Mel Brooks was a nice appearance.

121. A Star Is Burns (edit)

First aired: 3/5/1995

Writer: Ken Keeler

Director: Susie Dietter

Guest star: Maurice LaMarche (George C. Scott), Jon Lovitz (Jay Sherman), Phil Hartman (Charlton Heston, Judas Ben-Hur)

Springfield is the least popular town in America. They have a town meeting on how to attract tourists and Marge pitches the idea for a film festival. After they accept her idea, she searches for a film critic to be the judge and Jay Sherman is her choice. He comes to Springfield and stays with the Simpson family. Mr. Burns decides to enter the festival to boost his reputation, and makes a horribly self-indulgent film. Jay Sherman fits right in with the Simpson family, but he and Homer quickly form a rivalry. After the screenings, Homer has already made up his mind he is going to vote for the dumbest video, the one by Hans Moleman. This is an injustice to Barney's film about alcoholism, which is the best of the bunch. The jury includes Jay, Homer, Krusty, Marge, and Mayor Quimby. Mr. Burns bribes Krusty and Quimby to vote for him. Homer decides to change his vote to Barney's film, so Mr. Burns loses. What does Barney win? Why beer, of course! Mr. Burns later tries (unsuccessfully) to bribe the Academy Awards.

Man gets hit by football. Great episode.

122. Lisa's Wedding (edit)

First aired: 3/19/1995

Writer: Greg Daniels

Guest star: Mandy Patinkin (Hugh Parkfield), Maggie Roswell (Miss Hoover, Librarian)

The family visits a Renaissance Faire. When Lisa runs off while chasing a bunny she meets a mysterious fortune teller offers to tell her about her future by reading her cards. We flash forward to 2010 at an Eastern university where she meets an arrogant proper young English gentleman named Hugh. They manage to fall in love and he asks her to marry him. He lets her meet his family and soon she brings him to meet hers. She is very uneasy about this meeting, since her family is so rude and obnoxious. As they all prepare for the wedding, Hugh reveals that he thinks Homer is too brutish. He and Lisa have a fight and break off the engagement. The fortune teller then vanishes in a puff of smoke and Lisa meets back up with Homer, appreciating him a little more than usual.

Another fucking Lisa episode.

123. Two Dozen And One Greyhounds (edit)

First aired: 4/9/1995

Guest star: Frank Welker (SLH, Various), Tress MacNeille (Mrs. Potts)

The family notices that Santa's Little Helper has been destroying the house. He soon runs away and goes back to the dog track from which he came. He finds another greyhound there and humps her in front of everyone. The family decides to bring her home. The two dogs quickly fall in love. Santa's Little Helper's bitch has 25 puppies, but 25 puppies are too much for the Simpson family. They spoil an important dinner party. The family decides to give them away, but Mr. Burns dognaps them. They wonder what he could possibly want with them. Bart and Lisa go to spy on him and see what he is doing. He plans to kill them and make them into a greyhound skin tuxedo. They try to save the puppies, but Mr. Burns catches them before they escape. Mr. Burns has one of his characteristic changes of heart and decides not to kill them. He keeps all the puppies which grow to become successful racing dogs, making him even richer.

All time classic.

124. The PTA Disbands (edit)

First aired: 4/16/1995

Writer: Jennifer Crittenden

Director: Swinton O. Scott III

Guest star: Russi Taylor (Uter, Martin Prince), Maggie Roswell (Miss Hoover, Luann Van Houten)

Skinner's elementary school is dilapidated, the bus is in terrible shape, the food is unsatisfactory, et cetera. Bart sees Krabappel and Skinner arguing about this, so he pushes both their buttons to try to bring about a teacher's strike. Bart is ecstatic, but Lisa is horrified. During the strike, kids have to stay at home with their parents. Bart unleashes his unique brand of mischief on the town. Lisa is worried about becoming stupid and not getting graded, and starts to go insane. Bart's plan backfires when substitutes take over the teachers' jobs, including Marge as Bart's teacher. Bart gets Skinner and Krabappel to start negotiating again, and they finally come to an agreement. To raise funds for the school, they rent out the school's coat rooms to Springfield's overcrowded prisons.

Bart standing outside with the kite was great, the rest wasn't anything notable. Cept for Purple Monkey Dishwasher.

125. Round Springfield (edit)

First aired: 4/30/1995

Writer: Jeffrey Ventimilia, Joshua Sternin

Director: Steven Dean Moore

Story: Al Jean, Mike Reiss

Guest star: Ron Taylor ("Bleeding Gums" Murphy), Steve Allen (Himself)

Bart eats the jagged metal prize in his box of cereal and he has to have it and his appendix removed after he collapses at school. At the hospital Lisa happens to see "Bleeding Gums" Murphy and he gives her his saxophone. When "Bleeding Gums" Murphy dies it makes Lisa very distraught. When his funeral does not properly honor him, she vows to make Springfield remember him. She wants to buy a copy of his rare record, but it costs $500. Bart's case against Krusty's cereal gets him that exact amount, so he buys it for her. She plays it for a tribute to "Bleeding Gums" Murphy and he appears to her as a cloud. Together they jam as the episode draws to a close.

Hey, guess what? ANOTHER LISA EPISODE! JEEESUS.

126. Springfield Connection (edit)

First aired: 5/7/1995

Writer: Jonathan Collier

Guest star:

Homer and Marge listen to some classical music at an outdoor concert. On their way home, Marge stops a thief (Snake) when she gets a surge of adrenaline. She soon finds that her life isn't thrilling enough. She looks for ways to fill the void and decides to join the police department. Homer is a little insecure about this. When she trains, she finds that Chief Wiggum does not take her seriously. She passes training and starts her new career. It stresses her out, especially with all the corruption. She wants to clean up the town, but it is so difficult. Her first major stand comes against Homer after he disrespects her in public and to his horror, she sticks him in jail. Homer has his poker buddies over after his release and one of them, Herman, uses Homer's car hole (garage) for storing counterfeit jeans. When Homer figures this out, Herman takes him hostage. Marge saves him and wants to arrest Herman. When her backup shows up, the other cops take the jeans and refuse to harm Herman. This last bit of corruption is enough to make Marge quit. The episode closes with a musical homage to Hill Street Blues.

Blah, clearly they had nothing else to write about.

127. Lemon Of Troy (edit)

First aired: 5/14/1995

Writer: Brent Forrester

Guest star:

Bart gets a big lecture from Marge after vandalizing a sidewalk, she tells him to have pride in his town. When the kids run out of lemons for lemonade, they head to the town's lemon tree and get in a confrontation with the kids of Shelbyville. When the tree is gone, Bart and five other kids go to wage war with Shelbyville. Homer finds out about this and goes with their fathers to find the kids, courtesy of Ned's RV, which Homer totally abuses. Bart pretends to be from Shelbyville, but the kids from Shelbyville chase him anyway. Bart finds the tree, and with his gang of kids and Homer with his gang of fathers team up to get the tree back.

Good episode for the most part. "Shake harder, boy", Martin and Nelson together.

128. Who Shot Mr. Burns? (1) (edit)

First aired: 5/21/1995

Director: Jeffrey Lynch

Guest star: Tito Puentes (Himself)

When Willie tries to bury a class's dead hamster, he strikes oil. This means that the school is rich. The fact that Mr. Burns can never remember Homer's name is really starting to get under Homer's skin. Principal Skinner looks into spending the money from the oil well. He approves every silly request from people at the school. Mr. Burns makes it known that he wants the oil well to complete his monopoly. Principal Skinner rejects this idea. When they switch on the oil well for the first time, they find that someone else tapped the well with a slanted oil well. It is Mr. Burns. His new well shoots oil towards the Simpsons home, where it injures Bart's dog. Bart is very angry at Burns for this. Lisa is very angry because her idea to get Tito Puente as the school's band teacher cannot happen now. Homer is very angry because Mr. Burns still cannot remember his name. Moe's has to close down due to toxic fumes at the oil well, so Moe and Barney are very angry. They grab their guns and leave Moe's for the last time. The retirement home collapses due to the oil well, so Abe and the old folks are very angry. Mr. Burns is happy with all of these developments, but he has just one more plan. He wants to block out the sun. Smithers, refuses to help him and Mr. Burns fires him, so he goes on a drunken binge. Abe moves in with the Simpson family and with him, he brings a gun. Marge buries it in the yard. Homer spray paints his name on Mr. Burns' wall. When Mr. Burns still cannot remember his name, Homer threatens him. At a town meeting, Mr. Burns reveals his plan to block out the sun. He makes it night forever and walks home in twilight. He struggles with someone and a shot is fired, and he lay bleeding on the town's sun dial. Everyone is Springfield is a suspect, so it is up to Chief Wiggum to find out "Who Shot Mr. Burns."

Good-great episode, everyone petting their guns.

Nice. I better buy Season Five soon before Six comes out.

As for Matt Young's complaint about buying stuff new and perfect, I've run into many DVDs from Be(a)st Buy that were damaged, usually because of damage to the packaging. When I bought the Ultimate Matrix Collection, Reloaded had a scratch from one of the disc holders shattering. Shards of plastic spilled out of the case. Needless to say, I exchanged it for a new one.

However, I still don't trust eBay enough to purchase stuff from it.

Im also crazy obssesed with my dvds/cds games being in perfect condition (COVERS TOO) . I bought wm 19 dvd at best buy last december and when I opened it, found that Disc 1 had fallen out of the holder and thus was free floating in the case. But it only got 2 small minor smudge scratches, it still worked but it bothered me. I never bothered to return it, cuz I figured the store would not have another copy in stock considering I had seen just this one copy in the store for months.

Anyhow, I havent bought any simpsons dvds yet despite being a huge lifelong fan. But I may pick up this one first considering it has a lot of my personal favs in it.

The critic one is great, if only for "Man Getting Hit By Football"

Season 6 marks the begin of the decline of the show for several reasons. First off, in relation to season 3, 4, and 5, it didn't have the same quantity of quality episodes. A lot of the episodes were duds, with only a couple stand outs. Having said that, Itchy and Scratchy Land, and the Greyhound episode are high quality episodes, possiblie top teners. Secondly, the beginning of some harmful trends happened in this season - lots of focus on Lisa, Homer getting whackier and zanier without a lot of conscience for his actions, Bart becoming a pussy, and random, almost gimmick, episodes that serve no purpose other than filling time and providing some sight gags. Thirdly, the animation -for the most part- sucks. It doesn't have the charm of the previous seasons.

RE: Rudo's review.

Although I'll be the first one to say that I loved Season 4 & 5 more on a whole, you didn't like 105 (Lisa's Rival) and 111 (Lisa On Ice)? Now that I think about it, they're the only Lisa-centric episodes that I ever liked or appreciated.

You're right about seeing the decline of the series starting with Season 6 - they had three amazing episodes in the season (107, 112 and 123), but the end of the season basically dragged to the finish line.

Just to let you know, Seasons 6 through 10 will all feature the "Head" case.  There was a listing of what characters will be in 7-10 out there, I think.

A Marge one couldn't even fit on most shelves. :P

Just to let you know, Seasons 6 through 10 will all feature the "Head" case.  There was a listing of what characters will be in 7-10 out there, I think.

A Marge one couldn't even fit on most shelves. :P

The Simpson Family members (Homer, Bart, Lisa, Marge, Maggie) are the only ones getting head shaped packaging.