TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Chuck Woolery

SWF Did You Know?

So this is a place where you ask me or Z or someone questions about why certain things in the fed are how they are. Example: Who the hell is Nick Soapdish? (Answer: Don't ask me, ask Danny.)

It's also the place where you can throw out random trivia about your character. (Example: The entire Double Jeopardy team spawned from a discussion over how bad my ideas are.)

With that established, I have a few questions to start things off.

1) This one's for ELM. Tom sent me an .mp3 of your old theme music, "Mission Trip to Mexico", and after listening to the lyrics (and with substantial prodding) I realized it was an evangelical pop song. My question is, where did you find it and what prompted you to use it?

2) This one's for Johnny but could be answered by anyone. There's quite a few of us who started out with less-than-stellar gimmicks, myself being no exception. The question for Johnny is, did you plan on making Johnny a full-time character, or was it temporary until you brought Brimstone back? And the question for anyone else is, was your current character always the one you had in mind, and if not, what did you have in mind?

3) This is a general question; who do you think had the most wasted potential in the fed's history?

I'm sure (I hope) that people will ask more questions, and I hope someone gives me some answers... particularly ELM. That's still baffling for me.

With love from Tampa,

El Presidente.

I always planned to bring in a dead wife somewhere down the road. Anything before that was just me biding my time.

For number 3, it's hard to say. There have been a lot of people who only had maybe 3 or 4 matches here, but left shortly after. Any number of them could have been big, as big as an internet wrestling Federation would allow.

No, Johnny was never intended to be a full time character. That’s why when I made him he was rather goofy; wrestling in a tux, on a top secret assignment to the SWF, etc.

At the time, Crusen had no love for Brimstone and said no on me returning so I snuck back in with Johnny Dangerous. I thought someone who was a real James Bond/Mission Impossible agent gimmick would be fun so I ripped off Johnny Barracuda from the Danger Girl comic series and made Johnny ‘The Barracuda’ Dangerous.

I only wanted to get far enough so where I could just switch back to Brimstone, but after Crusen turned it over to Strangler he vetoed that as well. It’s good though because Johnny may be my second character, but he’s the one that I cherish and I would never want to drag Brimstone out and trade Johnny for him.

I just wish it wasn’t so hard for me to get feuds and storylines going so Johnny would be more memorable. I think I’ve had like a feud with Landon, Toxxic, WC, and Fugue and that’s all. Kind of sad that when I’m gone there is nothing I’ve done with Johnny as a solo character to ever be remembered.

I think I’d like to know why people don’t want to feud against Johnny Dangerous? Is he too goofy still that nobody wants to risk losing to a lame character?

Also, my question for Z. You were so good at writing. Why did you not ever push yourself to compete and go to the World Title; you know you could have done it!

I'd give my left arm or a body part of equal or lesser value to feud with Johnny, even if I was jobbed out, made to look like shit, and lost the PPV match that stipulated the loser had to go to Strangler's house decked out in full Yankee apparel.

That being said, what was the deal with "Carless" Mark Jindrak? How did that get started?

Frost ran an EWR wrestlecrap league and gave being carless to Mark Jindrak as a gimmick. It was so absurd that it caught on.

I'd give my left arm or a body part of equal or lesser value to feud with Johnny, even if I was jobbed out, made to look like shit, and lost the PPV match that stipulated the loser had to go to Strangler's house decked out in full Yankee apparel.

That being said, what was the deal with "Carless" Mark Jindrak? How did that get started?

Are you sucking up to Johnny? Please don't.

Crusen would be rolling over in his grave, if he were dead.

I'm contractually obligated to state that Z could have been the next big thing if he hadn't been so lazy. ;)

Useless Trivia: Judge is solely responsible for the creation of the "Rage Unleashed" when I was thinking of possible new finishers in chat and he threw the Steiner Screwdriver at me.

Frost ran an EWR wrestlecrap league and gave being carless to Mark Jindrak as a gimmick. It was so absurd that it caught on.

I remember laughing myself silly to those shows. Any idea where I can find them, to read them again?

After losing to ELM and rotating out of title contention for a period (which was dealt with in a bitchy discussion with King in which I scrupulously avoided screaming that no one else deserved a shot since I could school them all), I briefly considered dropping the Flesher character and coming back as a vanilla black-trunks rookie. The idea was to chronicle the way he developed, giving him a very limited moveset and having him learn new tricks from his losses (and yes, they'd all be losses for a while) to gradually build a style for him.

Part of that stayed in Zed's brain for a while, and that was part of the inspiration for the aborted Bryan Levy experiment.

Are you sucking up to Johnny? Please don't.

Crusen would be rolling over in his grave, if he were dead.

That would teach him. If he were dead.

And I suppose the way I said it, it sounded like sucking up to Johnny, yes. But it was not intended as such.

After losing to ELM and rotating out of title contention for a period (which was dealt with in a bitchy discussion with King in which I scrupulously avoided screaming that no one else deserved a shot since I could school them all), I briefly considered dropping the Flesher character and coming back as a vanilla black-trunks rookie. The idea was to chronicle the way he developed, giving him a very limited moveset and having him learn new tricks from his losses (and yes, they'd all be losses for a while) to gradually build a style for him.

See, that sounds like a neat idea. It's like Carlito, and Chris Masters.

Except the guy would expand his moveset.

EDIT: And lose, also.

This Maddix/Cortez angle was meant for me and Todd Royal, pretty much since I teamed up with him in the SJL. We'd have still been heels (this would have been for Genesis V, actually) and I'd have turned face and played the Cortez role. Unfortunately, Todd's 'net screwed up and whether it's fixed or not, I'm not exactly sure. But, he hasn't been back either way.

Infact, I probably never would have turned face at all had Todd not gone and then Tom propositioned me about Genesis V.

Sort of an answer to Mike's #2 question, I thought about having Drea write a letter to Zutroy saying she'd found this awesome fighter in Thailand, and was sending him Zutroy's way for training/to get into the SWF and have it be an orangutan.

#3: I kind of want to say Fallout, because up until his 'modem melted' or whatever, he kicked at least nine kinds of ass.

1) This one's for ELM. Tom sent me an .mp3 of your old theme music, "Mission Trip to Mexico", and after listening to the lyrics (and with substantial prodding) I realized it was an evangelical pop song. My question is, where did you find it and what prompted you to use it?

I found it by typing the word "Mexico" into Kazaa and seeing what came up. No, I am not joking.

I picked it because it's an energetic, happy song that fit Mag's face character. Also, the second I heard the "UNO! DOS! TRES! CUATRO!" I pictured the pyro that would accompany it. Plus, it had the word Mexico in the title.

Even though I'm about as big an athiest as you'll find, the lyrics don't really bother me too much, since they're fairly incomprehensible for the most part.

Odd fact that I'm sure I've mentioned before: Toxxic was never meant to be a heel at the start. He was meant to be a clean-cut face, but when he lost (as I anticipated doing) he would get more and more bitter and self-destructive until he just wanted to hurt ANYONE and didn't care if it was him... and that way he'd start to win matches, by being too damn crazy to beat.

As it was I lost once in my first 7 matches, we were short of any heels that weren't the Unnamed or Sacred, and Zed convinced me to turn in chat. So Toxxic the Arrogant Heel was born, giving me a thoroughly unoriginal heel character. Ah well, it seemed to work in the end.

Wasted potential - how about Ryan Dustin? He was good, but disappeared after a while. And I was certainly a cult fan of Uncle Filthy.

Here's a fact. It's Pretzler, Toxxic, and Landon's fault my character is the character he is.

In every other e-fed I was in, my character was a loudmouth Canadian technical wrestler extraordinaire, who used the Angel's Wings as a finisher. Well, Scott had loudmouth Canadian technical wrestler extraordinaire wrapped up, and Toxx had the Angel's Wings. So I figured I'd just try something new, and wanted to go with loudmouth ULTIMATE FIGHTER heel.

Well, read some promos, especially Landon's, and realized that he would have made me look like the Giant Gonzales of promoing. So I went with a throat injury that rendered him unable to talk.

So there you go.

Wasted potential - how about Ryan Dustin? He was good, but disappeared after a while. And I was certainly a cult fan of Uncle Filthy.

Oh, his potential was wasted, but not as much as you think.

Oh, it warms my heart to see some actual threads on the community board again. I'm sure I can think of a million of these.

- Ryan Dustin was, in fact, Mak Francis. However, it may be fair to say that he's one of the greatest cases of wasted potential regardless; Mak had a very good career, but he never matched the gold standard he set for himself in the Junior League.

- While I do think of myself as one of the greatest examples of someone who blew countless shots at being a great writer in the fed, I ended up becoming head booker, so I think it balances out. Besides, I can think of a few other good examples...

English Dragon. Outside of Zack, he showed the greatest potential of any OAOAST crossover writer. He was just made out of championship material, but he decided he'd call it a day after he got bumped at Genesis IV.

CIA. He was Mak's better half in one of the best JL feuds ever, and probably the best one that ever took place on TSM. People that remember him know that even on his worst days he could outdo me and just about anyone else in a duel of wits, and his matches were, in a word, bomb-ass. After he got bumped he suffered from huge consistency problems and never even made it deep into the midcard. (I also had the suspicion he was Uncle Filthy, although he's denied it fervently)

K-Os. He was JL champion when I first joined, and was absolutely dominant. When he got bumped, he was immediately awarded a US title match against Jay Dawg (at the time, only the second bumpee to get a title shot in their first match), and JD basically got molested. He absolutely would've won the world title if he hadn't mysteriously disappeared right after.

Crowe. He didn't write wrestling matches, or even wresting drama - he wrote wresting opera. Outrageous flair for the dramatic nearly had him break Thugg's JL title reign, and assured him success in the SWF which unfortunately never came.

- Mike wasn't my first choice to succeed me as head booker. As a matter of fact, everyone who is currently a ranking member of CC I thought of before him, but I felt they either wouldn't have the time (Tom) or desire (Judge, Raynor) to do it. Before I went ahead and handed over the reins, I tentatively decided to let Chris Card take over the fed based on his past experience. I probably made the right in retrospect.

- Johnny failed to mention that I also vetoed a decision to return to Brimstone when I succeeded TBS. At least three different times.

- Kibagami's original plan for the conclusion of the Edwin vs Silent feud wasn't the incredible and dramatic match at Genesis IV. It was actually a promo that was supposed to happen some months after Genesis III, which included Edwin and Nathaniel meeting up in an IHOP and having their final confrontation.

- Janus has seriously considered writing Ebony full time on several different occasions. Hindsight being 20/20, I honestly think this would've gone over better than that promo he wrote a couple PPVs ago where he'd inexplicably become a fag.

- I have a couple other "never were" ideas of my own, but I'm not sure if anyone's actually interested in those, so I'll only post them if somebody asks. I'm sure I can remember more stuff than this, though, but I'll have to think on it.

And Johnny, I think Janus had a pretty apt answer to your question.

-Z

I love this thread.

Uh, there aren't any deep dark secrets about ELM that I can reveal, save for the fact that he initially didn't speak a word of English. When Heat stopped wanting to be Senor Psycho and translate for him, that's when Magnifico miraculously learned English.

I love this thread.

Uh, there aren't any deep dark secrets about ELM that I can reveal, save for the fact that he initially didn't speak a word of English. When Heat stopped wanting to be Senor Psycho and translate for him, that's when Magnifico miraculously learned English.

How about the never having a mask though everyone thought ELM did deal?

I can't explain everyone else's miconceptions. :P

I've never, ever written Mag with a mask. 'Course, I never came right out and said he DIDN'T wear a mask, but I didn't realize I needed to specify.

Well, he's a luchadore, so maybe that's the reason. *never thought ELM wore a mask*.

Anyway:

- I can't remember how long ago this was, but at one point, I was struggling to write matches that had any decent phychology. Not much has changed there, but still. So, remembering my stint as wacky JL Euro Champion, I came up with an idea for Landon to basically adopt an impersonator gimmick. So, every week, I'd PM my opponent with the wrestler I wanted to be or just let them choose. My moveset would consist of my finishers, generic lucha moves and every signture spot and taunt of whoever I was impersonating. Needless to say, it got dropped pretty quickly.

- I also had the idea for Maddix to disappear for a while and for a mysterious, masked wrestler named "Lantasia" to show up. Who'd, obviously, be Landon under a mask. Everybody would pretend they didn't know who he was, except the heels and King. I even thought about turning up as a n00b (like Mak as Dustin, apparantly)...but the name was too obvious and I couldn't be arsed to think of a better name.

In reference to the whole "Biggest waste of talent" question, I'd agree unequivocably with Z's reference to K-Os. He's one of the best writers the IGNWF/SWF had ever seen. He would have been champ within three months of his bump if he had stayed at it. But instead he moved on somewhere else, and that was that for him. 'Tis a right shame indeed, 'tis. One other candidate is in his league, though:

- John Kruger. He debuted the show before I did, and I lost to him 4 times in the first three weeks or so I was in the fed. I almost quit thanks to that bastard. He flew through the JL, got bumped quickly, looked great. Then he did a weird angle with the Clan where a transmitter was implanted into his head, he disappeared, reappeared very briefly to do an angle where one of his arms didn't work (which never made it past the second promo), and was gone for good. Truly a bizarre run for the character, but he was a guy who really, really could have been something huge.

Question for Mike - I heard 'Popular' today for the first time in years, and it struck me as a remarkably melancholy song for the charismatic, cocky Van Siclen to come out to. Why did you choose it?

- Ryan Dustin was, in fact, Mak Francis...
And my self-esteem has been magically restored!

I can't explain everyone else's miconceptions.  :P

I've never, ever written Mag with a mask. 'Course, I never came right out and said he DIDN'T wear a mask, but I didn't realize I needed to specify.

I always figured it was a subliminal thing, due to the fact that you used to have that Ultimo Dragon avatar...

Regarding question #2, like I mentioned in some other thread, WC wasn't my first choice for a character, but I didn't want to come in with my best character in case it turned out that I wasn't any good. WC is actually the first stage in a four-stage evolution that the character I really wanted to use developed from. Basically, the character started out as a WC-esque high-flier, and evolved over the course of his career into a hardcore brawler, into a sadistic shoot-fighter type, and eventually into a character that encompassed the strengths of the three previous styles. Before joining the fed, I completely disassociated WC from my "dream" character, and made up a whole new history/background for him. At some point, I decided that I didn't want to do that anymore, anyway, and after WC started to grow on me, I decided to stick with him.

Now, I have a question for Ejiro and/or Judge: what was the real reason for Justice and Rule breaking up? For that matter, what was the kayfabe reason for them breaking up, as I don't recall that ever being brought up?