TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Campaign 2008

ANCHORAGE, Alaska – Gov. Sarah Palin charged the state for her children to travel with her, including to events where they were not invited, and later amended expense reports to specify that they were on official business.

The charges included costs for hotel and commercial flights for three daughters to join Palin to watch their father in a snowmobile race, and a trip to New York, where the governor attended a five-hour conference and stayed with 17-year-old Bristol for five days and four nights in a luxury hotel.

In all, Palin has charged the state $21,012 for her three daughters' 64 one-way and 12 round-trip commercial flights since she took office in December 2006. In some other cases, she has charged the state for hotel rooms for the girls.

Alaska law does not specifically address expenses for a governor's children. The law allows for payment of expenses for anyone conducting official state business.

As governor, Palin justified having the state pay for the travel of her daughters — Bristol, 17; Willow, 14; and Piper, 7 — by noting on travel forms that the girls had been invited to attend or participate in events on the governor's schedule.

But some organizers of these events said they were surprised when the Palin children showed up uninvited, or said they agreed to a request by the governor to allow the children to attend.

Several other organizers said the children merely accompanied their mother and did not participate. The trips enabled Palin, whose main state office is in the capital of Juneau, to spend more time with her children.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081021/ap_on_...n_family_travel

This will be quickly forgotten, along with the Bridge to Nowhere, charging the taxpayers so she could stay at her own house, and the fact she can't put two coherent sentences together without a teleprompter in front of her.

The Daily Show visits Wasilla, Alaska.

I'm sure the right will counter that Obama has likely spent that much on crack rock. He is black, after all.

Now now...as the great philosopher 2Pac stated...both black and white are smoking crack tonight.

Although he also said that we ain't ready to see a black president...he probably hated Muslims...

Palin sat for an interview with KUSA, an NBC affiliate in Colorado. In response to a question sent to the network by a third grader at a local elementary school about what the Vice President does, Palin erroneously argued that the Vice President is "in charge of the United States Senate."

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/10/21/palin-vp-senate/

--

See there is no need to make fun of Palin when she is perfectly capible of embarassing herself. I mean is she actually aware of the position she's running for? Interesting....

I really hope that was just her quaint, cutesy way of explaining what a ceremonial presiding officer does to a 9 year-old...except its virtually the same thing she said during in the debates.

I really hope that was just her quaint, cutesy way of explaining what a ceremonial presiding officer does to a 9 year-old...except its virtually the same thing she said during in the debates.

Olberman had about 4 different videos of her trying to differ from the constitution's job description

Has anyone been here yet? It's one of my favorites:

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/

It's the single best site on the internet dealing with the election in general and polls in particular. Nate Silver's beatdowns of Matt Drudge (cherry-picking poll numbers), RealClearPolitics (choosing which polls to include and exclude without giving any justification to their methodology, and frequently doing it in a way that is obviously biased in McCain's favor), idiots that believe in the Bradley effect, and pundits who think Obama's ground game amounts to college kids organizing college kids (Michael Barone, and others) keeps me visiting constantly. I am very interested to see how well their model does in terms of predicting the actual outcome in the election. If it nails it or at least comes really close, I think 538.com might become the new standard for polling analysis (as opposed to lazy sites like electoral-vote.com and the aforementioned RCP).

Has anyone been here yet? It's one of my favorites:

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/

It's the single best site on the internet dealing with the election in general and polls in particular. Nate Silver's beatdowns of Matt Drudge (cherry-picking poll numbers), RealClearPolitics (choosing which polls to include and exclude without giving any justification to their methodology, and frequently doing it in a way that is obviously biased in McCain's favor), idiots that believe in the Bradley effect, and pundits who think Obama's ground game amounts to college kids organizing college kids (Michael Barone, and others) keeps me visiting constantly. I am very interested to see how well their model does in terms of predicting the actual outcome in the election. If it nails it or at least comes really close, I think 538.com might become the new standard for polling analysis (as opposed to lazy sites like electoral-vote.com and the aforementioned RCP).

Agreed. This is the most interesting chart they have:

1021_scenario.png

Olberman had about 4 different videos of her trying to differ from the constitution's job description

Usually Olbermann tries to change the Constitution himself. He rarely needs the help of others.

It's funny when anyone tries to quantify Olbermann as anything more than the liberal equivalent of Limbaugh, Hannity or O'Reilly.

RealClearPolitics (choosing which polls to include and exclude without giving any justification to their methodology, and frequently doing it in a way that is obviously biased in McCain's favor),

Except almost every poll they've posted recently has been in Obama's favour.

I read Cracked today, and came across this about Daddy Yankee endorsing McCain:

How He Handled It:

By introducing (Yankee) at a High School and then stomping and clapping arrhythmically to "La Gasolina," a song about how this one girl can't get enough cum. Really, she just loves the stuff

1.) I want video evidence of this

2.) I officially love this election.

HAHA I got a call from Hillary Clinton today for support for Obama. Can't wait to get one from Palin. I've never got this many Robocalls.

Anyone else going to be a Poll worker on the 4th? I got my training on Saturday 3 hrs long.

Your mom works the poll...

Alright, anyways...

I live in New York so they don't robocall us. We don't exist in political season. It's actually quite nice.

I've got a lot of friends around here who don't really follow the election at all...but they're pretty much voting McCain accross the board because they either won't vote for a black guy or they think Palin is hot.

I think that sums up almost every independent McCain voter.

pollster.com and 538 are both very good, I go to them regularly. realclearpolitics is pretty decent too though their poll display choices are sometimes odd, i like how easy it is to see the dynamics of the polls (RV vs LV, how many, etc etc).

All 3 of those sites have pretty much made Drudge obsolete for me, as visiting them regularly really made it clear exactly how, shall we say, ideologically selective Drudge is when he tries to push a certain angle.

Usually Olbermann tries to change the Constitution himself. He rarely needs the help of others.

It's funny when anyone tries to quantify Olbermann as anything more than the liberal equivalent of Limbaugh, Hannity or O'Reilly.

Oh I fully realize he's just the Democratic version of those guys...

Oh I fully realize he's just the Democratic version of those guys...

I object on the grounds that Hannity, O'Reilly, and Limbaugh are all completely different types of partisans.

Hannity: ignore the facts and tow the party line; only have guest on that agree with you.

Limbaugh: stick to your principles, no matter who or what facts say others wise; guest are irrelevant because no one can tell him anything he can't say himself in a more entertaining way.

O'Reilly: on a mission to argue with the other side; have on guests that you can confront.

Of these three, I'd say Olbermann is 65% Hannity (guest philosophy) and 35% Limbaugh (especially his "special comment" rants and value of being entertaining).

To me, Hannity is the worst of the bunch because we will literally tow WHATEVER the Republican Party line of the moment is, with no thought or analysis. Olbermann can be pretty grating because while I appreciate he's calling attention to a lot of things that might get ignored, the one-sidedness of it is disconnected from reality or use of irrational arguments to draw attention away from the faults of Democrats.

The most memorable thing I recall from watching Olbermann was him ripping the shit out of Hillary when she made the assasination comment in the primaries.

When Hannity spends 7 minutes blasting Palin for saying something stupid...then they can be even.

RealClearPolitics (choosing which polls to include and exclude without giving any justification to their methodology, and frequently doing it in a way that is obviously biased in McCain's favor),

Except almost every poll they've posted recently has been in Obama's favour.

That's because almost every poll has been in Obama's favor. But for a specific example, RCP does not include R2K's tracking poll, ostensibly because there were "already too many tracking polls" when it started publishing (quite a while ago). Now, at the time it was the poll showing the largest margin for Obama. Now, not more than a few weeks ago IBD/PPPT starts publishing a tracking poll, whose debut boasts relatively good numbers for McCain given what all the others are showing. RCP immediately added this tracking poll to their site, blatantly contradicting their claimed reason for not including R2K's.

Your mom works the poll...

I live in New York so they don't robocall us. We don't exist in political season. It's actually quite nice.

I've gotten robo-calls for the 26th Congressional District race. In 2006, Jim Kelly called telling me to support Tom Reyonlds. In the Democratic Primary, John Kerry called me to support Ron Powers. I've been robo-called by Dem canidate Alice Kryzan a few times.

I like being pandered to like I was when I was attending Kent State in 2004 as oppossed to being totally ignored. It was cool that Steve Buscemi showed up on campus to register voters.

When I lived in Ohio during the 2000 election I got so many fucking phone calls. Now...in Buffalo I honestly haven't gotten one. I did get someone stopping by with a thing for me to sign in support of his candidate...I don't remember why... but I signed it.

I prefer a more conservative estimate...pessimism pays off if you're pleasantly surprised at the end of the race...though not as pessimistic as snuffbox.

That robocall Guiliani did is stupid, since most of the crimes he talks about have laws at the state level. In those calls, he's acting like Obama's running for governor.

I don't know if anyone saw the first part of the McCain/Palin interview on NBC tonight. They didn't say anything that was too over the top but to me there is no chemistry between the two of the. I know Obama and Biden aren't team charisma either but I could see them kickin back and havin a drink together. With Palin and McCain there is just nothin there for me that engages the general public.

Rates were cunt indeed

Were they dressed like a trollop?

O Reily just said "a social uprising" or some such would have occured if pallin had said "Life from NY" instead of "Live from NY" last Saturday.... I was only half paying attention, but what the blue hell?

Sign in to follow this