TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Campaign 2008

Guest דניא&#15

I once precipitated some tension between the band geeks and the agriculture kids because one of them said our school didn't deserve a new music wing, especially when the farmers would have to finance it with their property taxes. I yelled at him in the middle of American Studies, calling him a "backwater mope," and claimed that the music department was the only good thing this dump had going for it. To be honest, both of us should've been shot.

Everyone's doing the Palin replay now....Newt Gingrich was on Hannity and Colmes prior to the speech from the "governor of our largest state."

Now, just to prove that Republicans will sell out at the drop of a hat, Gingrich stated that Mrs. Palin had more executive expereince than he did.

Okay...this shit has gone too far. Newt Gingrich, despite the fact he's a slimey toad and I hate almost everything about him, was Speaker of the House of Representatives. He RAN an important part of our national government for 4 years. He didn't do it WELL, but he did do it. Is he so totally without intellectual honesty, pride, or respect for his own career that he's trying to make the woman who has ran one of our 4 least populated states only since the end of 2006 sound more qualified to be president than he is?

This is fucking SURREAL.

Guest דניא&#15

So when Ben Stein provides an honest and accurate skewering of Palin's credentials, it's "cracks in the Republican base," but when Democrats disagree, it's just the pure-minded differences of opinion that ultimately dooms them to fall to the sinister lockstep Right?

So when Ben Stein provides an honest and accurate skewering of Palin's credentials, it's "cracks in the Republican base," but when Democrats disagree, it's just the pure-minded differences of opinion that ultimately dooms them to fall to the sinister lockstep Right?

Nah, it's still the Democrats "failing to show a united front."

Peggy Noonan and others GOPers completely trash the Palin decision on air without realizing the mic is on.

transcript

Murphy: ...because I come out of a blue swing-state governor world. Engler. Whitman. Tommy Thompson. Mitt Romney. Jeb Bush. And I mean, and these guys, this is all like how you win a Texas race, just run it up. And, IT'S NOT GOING TO WORK.

Noonan: IT'S OVER.

Murphy: Still, McCain can give a version of the Lieberman speech and do himself some good

Chuck Todd. [unintelligible]... think the Palin pick is insulting to Kay Bailey Hutchinson?

Noonan: ...saw Kay this morning.

Todd: [sounds like 'she's not comfortable talking about it????]

Murphy: They're ALL bummed out

Todd: Is she really the most qualified woman?

Noonan: Most qualified? NO. I think they went for this, excuse me, political bullshit about narratives.

Todd: yeah, they went to narratives.

Murphy: I totally agree.

Noonan: Every time Republicans do this, because that's not where they live, and that's not what they're good at, they blow it.

Murphy: You know what's really the worst thing about it? The greatness of McCain is "no cynicism" and this is cynical.

Todd: And as you called it, "gimmicky"

It's pretty neat to see the nasty, curdled id of the conservative movement reveal itself on a national stage. It's like they just decided to abandon any pretense of appearing moderate and civil and have instead chosen to appeal solely to their ever-shrinking base. That was some grotesque shit and the fact that those people theoretically represent a fair chunk of this country is honestly making me a feel a little sick to my stomach. Obama may be full of shit, but if nothing else electing him would (hopefully) serve as a rebuke to the kind of small minded, vindictive, completely dishonest bullshit on display last night.

It's pretty neat to see the nasty, curdled id of the conservative movement reveal itself on a national stage. It's like they just decided to abandon any pretense of appearing moderate and civil and have instead chosen to appeal solely to their ever-shrinking base. That was some grotesque shit and the fact that those people theoretically represent a fair chunk of this country is honestly making me a feel a little sick to my stomach. Obama may be full of shit, but if nothing else electing him would (hopefully) serve as a rebuke to the kind of small minded, vindictive, completely dishonest bullshit on display last night.

Yeah I think that is my main gripe with the speeches at the Republican convention. I mean, I understand they are supposed to be red meat for to rally the base and that is fine. State your position, criticize your opponents opinion, explain why your position is better, throw a little humor in there, wash-rinse-repeat.

However between Palin's outright lying and Romeny's "I guess I've been asleep for the last 30 years because I am here to rescue washington from the liberals" speech, it just comes off odd that conservatives seem to just have to make things up in order to get people to rally behind them, but I guess at the same time, if the people aren't willing to look beyond the speeches and do their own research, that is what they deserve to get stuck with.

And she won't be winning Ben Stein's money anytime soon, either.

Win Ben Stein's doubt.

Guest דניא&#15

"Shelton Benjamin outta f'in nowhere!" is always reading this thread, but has he spoken yet? This name is my new obsession, like BOOT, or R2DFoosterMcSockman.

One of the many reasons I hate the HuffPo. Who do they get to write this crap?

As is to be expected, the mainstream media is falling all over themselves to congratulate Sarah Palin on her speech and to get first in line for the next barbecue at the McCain compound(s). The consensus -- and we know just how wrong the consensus usually is -- is that Palin's speech has consolidated and galvanized the conservative base. The first problem with this is that the conservative base has been mostly galvanized already. They are already spooked to the point of wetting their pants over the made up fantasy of the secret Muslim black man and his black militant wife turning the White House into a flophouse for the Black Panther Party. They are already there. What the pick did for McCain is get the last dregs of a dying voting bloc lined up for him.

In one night, Sarah Palin has gone from being the female version of George W. Bush to the female version of Spiro Agnew.

I don't think Joe Biden is the right person to send after Palin, but I know who is.

ap_hillary_chelsea_080226_ssh.jpg

I don't really see anything wrong with that?? Maybe the conservative's-view-of-Obama caricature is a little over the top, but I think in terms of pure analysis it's pretty dead-on.

EDIT: This is obv. in response to pbone's post and not SuperJerk's stupid white noise.

SuperJerk's stupid white noise.

Do you have a problem with my idea, or are you just coming after me because all the cool kids are doing it?

Chelsea Clinton was the BUTT of Republican jokes for years. I think the American people need to be reminded of that.

Hillary Clinton can credibly refute Palin's complaining about sexism, Chelsea Clinton can refute Republican whining about coming after daughters. Am I wrong?

I don't really see anything wrong with that?? Maybe the conservative's-view-of-Obama caricature is a little over the top, but I think in terms of pure analysis it's pretty dead-on.

EDIT: This is obv. in response to pbone's post and not SuperJerk's stupid white noise.

It quite literally assumes that the "conservative base" is galvanized against Obama for fear that he is a Muslim extremists. These people aren't stupid; it's trying to disbar any legitimate political disagreements with Obama. Or, I'm sorry, he's the black knight leading us to Africamelot®.

SuperJerk's stupid white noise.

Do you have a problem with my idea, or are you just coming after me because all the cool kids are doing it?

Chelsea Clinton was the BUTT of Republican jokes for years. I think the American people need to be reminded of that.

Hillary Clinton can credibly refute Palin's complaining about sexism, Chelsea Clinton can refute Republican whining about coming after daughters. Am I wrong?

Refute? Clint-dawg can REFUTE so-called media sexism, as the woman who single-handedly made almost every talking head put their tail between their legs and apologize for attacking her in virtually any way?

Now, just to prove that Republicans will sell out at the drop of a hat, Gingrich stated that Mrs. Palin had more executive expereince than he did.

They're treating executive experience like it's some sort of trump suit, and the tiniest amount of it is more important than any other type of experience. Who cares about acres of foreign policy experience? I have an inch and a half of executive experience, and that's what matters!

I wrote this on the other board, but since you don't go there, I'll paste it here which is something I don't do often, but oh well. And I was going to do it anyway because I wanted to bounce it off this crowd and see what you think. They don't have many eyeballs right now anyway:

The phrase 'executive experience' basically is the code-word among the GOP for people who feel Governors are better Presidential candidates to Congresspeople. The problem is, that's just wrong and this shows why. Few people know any Governors other than their own. I think the only Governor EVERYBODY knows is Schwarzenegger, and that's not because of his political deeds.

I mean, I only found out Charlie Crist was Governor of Florida after I went to Disney World and saw news reports talking about Governor Crist, and I thought "oh, Jeb finally left?"

The people who believe the old logic that Governors are superior simply blew their stack that until now there wasn't a single Governor in the race, and now that there is one they're sure it's a clinch to win. Because they're stuck to the old methods, and they won't understand that this election has proved the old methods wrong again and again.

Democrats or PUMAs? Because there's a difference. The primary left a lot of Republicans registered as Democrats thanks to Rush's OpChaos and similar thinking, and some of those "Clinton supporters" are really Republicans trying to kick the Dems in the shins and weaken their position.

Nobody on the HillaryIs44.com site is an being intellectually honest.

..And sorry for posting twice in a row.

Sign in to follow this