TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Campaign 2008

Ah, global warming. Behind abortion and the War, the next most likely subject to hijack any thread it gets mentioned in and run rampant over the next several pages. How 'bout we just ignore that we stepped on that landmine and move on?

Who gives a shit what Bill O'Reilly says? His star has fallen so far in the last eight years.

I've got a book I checked out from the library just for the amusing title: Sweet Jesus, I HATE Bill O'Reilly! I figure anything named that must have at least a couple of laughs in it, one way or another.

"Everybody Some people knowsthink that global warming is real,"

Yeah I'm gonna trust a guy who gets his opinions on science from Glen Beck.

And I gotta agree, I think McCain has separated himself from W enough in the eyes of the people (whether it's true or not) that, with some decent campaigning, W's trainwreck of a presidency isn't going to hurt him too much.

I was antil global warming even before I began listening to Glenn Beck again so dont give me that. All it takes is for someone who wants to use their own damn brain to look for some opposing viewpoints, which all trump any crap Al Gore and the rest of the environmentalists say in support of Global Warming. For starters, you dont even have to go back but 33 years to a time when scientists were swearing up and down that we were going through Global Cooling in the 1970s because temperatures were dropping since the the 1940's. By 1975, Newsweek ran the article "the Cooling World" and pointed to a half a degree temperature drop in the northern hemisphere since 1945 as a basis for "Global Cooling" being iminient, going as far to say

"The evidence in support of these predictions [of global cooling] has now begun to accumulate so massively that meteorologists are hard-pressed to keep up with it." "But the scientists see few signs that government leaders anywhere are even prepared to take the simple measures of stockpiling food. "The longer the planners (politicians) delay, the more difficult will they find it to cope with climatic change once the results become grim reality." "resulting famines could be catastrophic", "drought and desolation," "the most devastating outbreak of tornadoes ever recorded", "droughts, floods, extended dry spells, long freezes, delayed monsoons," "impossible for starving peoples to migrate," "the present decline has taken the planet about a sixth of the way toward the Ice Age."

Sounds pretty damn familiar doesn't it? All the basis of this "OMG WERE GOING INTO AN ICE AGE!!" was put in a 1/2 degree temeperature change in the northern hemisphere in a 30 year period. It all sounds pretty familiar to me now when you hear the global warming scientists spewing the same garbage right back in the opposite direction with the same damn disaster scenario fearmongering tactics that were used in the Newsweek article. I could swap out a few things and those disaster scenarios sound almost exactly like the ones peddled by Al Gore in "An Inconvenient Truth".

Theres plenty of information available on global temperature cycles which indicates these warming/cooling trends are natural and not affected in anyway by humans, which is why there are many scientists predicting not only that 2008 will be the coolest year in a decade, but also that the earth is on the verge of entering another cooling cycle which could last into the year 2050 or so.

I never knew Glenn Beck was so well followed until reading this very thread.

As far as global warming, I have absolutely no idea what to believe, as I am not a scientist, and each side vehemently claims that the other is just completely wrong. I guess that's what happens when you have corporations and special interests dictating the environmental debate.

As far as the election, I'm getting the feeling that by the time I get to vote here in Wisconsin, the nominations are going to be all but finished.

God damn it, shut up Marvin! I can already hear EricMM and the rest of Ann Arbor running towards this fucking board! This shouldn't even be disputable at this point in time that we are doing something to affect the Earth. Why not play on the safe side?

Ron Paul will have a new book out soon. People will ignore it entirely so they can focus on Mitt Romney's guide to selling used cars.

Guest Vitamin X

I'm a bit more concerned about peak oil occurring sooner than we can handle it, to be honest.

Guest Blue Man Czech
Ron Paul will have a new book out soon. People will ignore it entirely so they can focus on Mitt Romney's guide to selling used cars.

The Mike Huckabee Guide To Selling Used Cars is being delayed so it can be rewritten to fit God's standards.

Marvin, you took the Clinton quote out of context and you're dumb.

this is directly from the bastion of liberal truth, Media Matters (who are arguing the same point you are, that taken out of context he didn't really say what he said..huh?)

CLINTON: And maybe America, and Europe, and Japan, and Canada -- the rich counties [sic] -- would say, "OK, we just have to slow down our economy and cut back our greenhouse gas emissions 'cause we have to save the planet for our grandchildren." We could do that. But if we did that, you know as well as I do, China and India and Indonesia and Vietnam and Mexico and Brazil and the Ukraine, and all the other countries will never agree to stay poor to save the planet for our grandchildren. The only way we can do this is if we get back in the world's fight against global warming and prove it is good economics that we will create more jobs to build a sustainable economy that saves the planet for our children and grandchildren. It is the only way it will work.

And guess what? The only places in the world today in rich countries where you have rising wages and declining inequality are places that have generated more jobs than rich countries because they made a commitment we didn't. They got serious about a clean, efficient, green, independent energy future... If you want that in America, if you want the millions of jobs that will come from it, if you would like to see a new energy trust fund to finance solar energy and wind energy and biomass and responsible bio-fuels and electric hybrid plug-in vehicles that will soon get 100 miles a gallon, if you want every facility in this country to be made maximally energy efficient that will create millions and millions and millions of jobs, vote for her. She'll give it to you. She's got the right energy plan.

Basically hes saying in order to do something about Global Warming, all of the "rich countries" have to cut slow their economies and yet he realizes that some countries wont do a thing. If some of the leading polluters of CO2 in China and India are going to do absolutely nothing, why the hell are we going to sit over here and put the economy in decline so that they can continue to pollute the planet just the same? Maybe so we can feel good about ourselves? I dont know..if Global Warming is real, then no ammount of action we take as Americans or in Europe will matter to a hill of beans in the overall global consequences and we'll all still suffer because the China's and Indias of the world. So until you get all the major players on board, it makes absolutely no sense to spend billions (and even trillions of dollars in John McCains plans) a year to try and do something about Global Warming that just about all the global warming scientists agree will have no real value result for the money spent. Like was said in the debate..its GLOBAL WARMING...not AMERICA WARMING.

I've noticed a huge increase in quality at TSM since I added Marvin to my ignore list. Sadly, other people keep quoting him, so he sneaks through my defenses.

As far as global warming, I have absolutely no idea what to believe, as I am not a scientist, and each side vehemently claims that the other is just completely wrong.

"Both sides"?

If you consider the two sides to be:

1. scientists

2. oil companies & right wing radio hosts

Guest Blue Man Czech

I want to be a mod again so I can ban Marvin. DID YOU KNOW there is an option to pretty much neutron-bomb an entire poster's history? Imagine wiping it all out.

Also, "cut back" + "slow down" = "cut slow," I guess.

As far as global warming, I have absolutely no idea what to believe, as I am not a scientist, and each side vehemently claims that the other is just completely wrong.

"Both sides"?

If you consider the two sides to be:

1. scientists

2. oil companies & right wing radio hosts

Yeah, and one side is supported by scientific research and the other side just likes to disagree with any and all "liberal" concepts.

Can Marvin just go ahead and succumb to his terminal illness? Guy's killing me with his Glenn Beck horseshit up in CE.

Marvin is like CronoT or WP in that his mere existence makes you feel better about yourself.

Guest Blue Man Czech
we'll all still suffer because the China's and Indias of the world.

How many Chinas and Indias are there in the world?

Pretty sure he's saying that slowing down the economy won't work. And you're dumb.

Two seperate issues here and I think I got them mixed just a wee bit.

Issue A) Slowing down the economy to fix global warming

Issue B) We're still going to spend money to fix global warming

On A: Just the simple idea that we should slow the economy down if everyone else slows theirs down is rediculous, even though as was agreed, that wont happen so its a bad idea to do it, but he idea was still laid out that if everyone else did, we would go along with slowing our economy. Do the vast majority of americans want a slow economy (slower than what we have right now) in order to possibly change the whole global warming thing a 100 years from now? I doubt it.

On B: (and of little relevance to the article but I got on a rant) Politicians across the board still want to the US to foot the bill to fix Global Warming even though major polluting countries like China and India aren't doing anything. Thats not exactly slowing our economy but its also not being very smart in my opinion. Its still going to have a negative impact on the economy through excessive regulation and more lost jobs, and its going to cost in upwards of a trillion dollars a year for no real tangible positive results as long as other countries continue to do nothing.

Hopefully Marvin will be driven from this folder by sheer embarrassment after this most recent failure. If only we were so lucky.

I stand behind what I posted, I just needed to make myself clearer.

Until other countries that contribute to the so called problem start agreeing to be a part of the solution, I dont think the United States should be monetarily responsible for doing anything more than taking measures to get energy independence and domestic sources tapped as well as other alternative fuels and even cleaner air standards, things that would definitely benefit our country as a whole and would not be affected at all by the fact that China and India will continue to pollute out tons of CO2 at a higher rate than the United States...but we should do absolutely nothing for the sole purpose of fixing global warming because it is not just our problem and the United States shouldn't be the Worlds doctor as well as police officer and charity fund.

Sign in to follow this