TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Slickster

Tombstone: The History of the Undertaker

Im still waiting on other reviews. I was at Best Buy today and saw it for 23.99 although I think it is on sale I will order it from there and pick it up.

It IS on sale. I picked it up yesterday for $16.99. I was going to skip this one, but 16.99 is a GREAT deal for a 3 disc set, considering I paid $28.99 for the Flair and 80's sets. The regular price seems to be $23.99.

Call me crazy, but I kind of like the way the discs are stacked on top of one another. People are complaining about possible scratching--and that's definitely possible, but each disc clicks into place, so they aren't rubbing against each other. It definitely saves space, as everything fits in a single disc case.

I didn't like the artwork when I first saw it, but it definitely jumps out at you when you look at the actual DVD. It's a little overdone, but still cool.

I've only watched the first disc, but I've noticed how many of the matches aren't really about the Undertaker. Sure, he's in all of them, but I mean, Bret/Taker at SS 97 was more about Bret and Shawn, HITC vs. Mankind was more famous for Foley, etc.

1992-1996 is all but ignored, with the exception of the RR 94 Casket Match vs. Yokozuna. It's no surprise that they skipped over the Giant Gonzales feud. I think the narrative goes from his victory over Hogan at SS 91, to WM 8 vs. Jake (small clip), to the casket match. I laughed out loud when they showed a 15 second clip of the UT vs. UT match, talking about his "re-emergence", and didn't even touch on that angle at all. I really would have liked to have seen the feud with the Warrior, especially that Funeral Parlor segment where he locked him in the casket. Oh well.

Also, there are WAY too many Kane and Foley matches. The Foley match from Revenge of the Taker was not necessary (and was actually quite embarrassing with Foley fucking up burning Paul Bearer), especially after sitting through the debacle of the "Buried Alive" match, where it took all the heels 5 minutes to "bury" Undertaker alive.

I know they wanted to cram every match possible on here, but it really pisses me off that HITC vs. Shawn, The Inferno Match, and WM X-7 vs. HHH are on here, when all 3 were on the "This is My Yard" DVD, which I also own. How long before the "Best of Kane: This Fire Still Burns" set comes out, with each UT/Kane match from this set repeated AGAIN?

All bitching aside, it's a good set for the price you pay for it. It's a good overall retrospective of his career, and even the terrible RR 94 casket match somehow fits on this set, due to all the crap that happened after the match was over.

Also, I find it hilarious how the "reviews" for this and other WWE/F DVD's are over at Amazon.com. Most of the reviews are either 2 sentence "TAKer RUlezzz!" crap or a long rant that isn't really a review, but a list of what that person would have rather had on the DVD, like the WWE is going to pull this from the shelves and re-issue it, based on that one review. There are already "reviews" for Bret's DVD, which makes no sense, of course. One guy seems to be the biggest Taker fan ever, as he goes off on this DVD, and lists his version, which is literally EVERY SINGLE Taker PPV match, ever--including all the casket matches, the Bossman HITC, even the title win over Austin from OTE 99. Crazy stuff I tells ya.

Guest lo0p

Overall, its a quality dvd. 21 complete matches and 10 hours of material for only 23$ canadian is a great deal. Im not sure exactly what the american version is regarding the dvd stacking, but the canadian version has a 2 sided flipper inside for 2 disks and the 3rd disk is on the regular inside of the back, so there is no stacking or scratching.

IM not sure what all the fuss is about the one night only match against bret hart. it was very similar to the summerslam match, except the ending where summerslam was much better and historic. However, i did enjoy the mixed crowd reaction and it was a little faster pace. Im not saying that it shouldnt have been included, but many of you who had previosly seen it made it sound like at was a 5 star match.

Guest LatinoHeat

Where did you snag the dvd for $23 canadian??

I haven't seen it in any stores around here.

Guest LatinoHeat

I was checking prices online and HMV has it for damn near $40 after taxes.

I got it last night and just skipped around in the first disc, so far. One nitpick: When they show a clip of WM 13, in the corner, the graphic says "WM VIII, 4/5/92, Indianapolis". Obviously a mistake, but I'm just saying. So far, I'm glad I bought it.

So is there any word on whether the $16.99 rpice at Best Buy was a one day thing or if it alsts all week? I'm not a huge Taker fan and I really need to be saving my money, but for that price, I couldn't pass it up. No way.

Guest Edgehead

I think it will be a good dvd. Especially if the one night only match is included. Much better than the SummerSlam 97 match between the two.

Guest Gary Busey
So is there any word on whether the $16.99 rpice at Best Buy was a one day thing or if it alsts all week?  I'm not a huge Taker fan and I really need to be saving my money, but for that price, I couldn't pass it up.  No way.

It's still $16.99 at Bestbuy.com so at the very least you could order it online and pick it up at a store location near you. Just give them a call and ask if it's on sale at the store.

It's 16.99 at Best Buy all week long, because it was listed at that price in the ad. The ad says "Week of....(whatever week it's for)" each week so it will be 16.99 through this Saturday. It will then go up to 23.99, which is the usual sticker price.

Best Buy doesn't keep DVD's on sale past the first week unless it's something major, like Sin City or the Incredibles or something. Can you tell I shop there a lot?

I can't believe they put the RR 94 match on there in its entirety. I think the SSeries 94 rematch was much better along with the markout value fact of the involvement of CHUCK NORRIS! :headbang:

Eh I got the DVD for 14 bucks. It is okay. I like that I can watch matches that are acclaimed like ONO and Brock HIAC, but there are some stinkers on the DVD... and the transition between each match is weird. I was watching Taker/Hogan, and after the match ended I expected it to go back to the menu but it went on to show a small bit of Jake/Taker's storyline, and that threw me off. Ditto with Taker/Taker between the Rumble Casket match and Diesel's Mania match...

Guest M. Harry Smilac

I haven't seen the KOR99 Rock match prior to this so maybe someone can answer a question about it.

During the match their using 3-4 cameras and everytime they switch to one in particular it looks like they used the kind of camera you use for a documentary.

I'm just curious if it was like this when the PPV originally aired.

Makes the experience a bit odd.

Me--Ok watching Taker/Rock

*Camera Changes*

Me--Wait, no, it's Beyond the Mat

I haven't seen the KOR99 Rock match prior to this so maybe someone can answer a question about it.

During the match their using 3-4 cameras and everytime they switch to one in particular it looks like they used the kind of camera you use for a documentary.

I'm just curious if it was like this when the PPV originally aired.

Makes the experience a bit odd.

Me--Ok watching Taker/Rock

*Camera Changes*

Me--Wait, no, it's Beyond the Mat

I might have it on tape somewhere but I agree with you. Something looks out of place.

I went to BestBuy today to pick up Tbe Undertaker DVD but fat ass Paul Bearer got the last copy. Can you believe that shit? BTW, I live in Mobile, AL.

Now THAT's some funny stuff right there.

I also don't know why they chose the ridiculous 1994 Royal Rumble casket match over the 1994 Survivor Series match. After all, why wouldn't the WWE want to embarass Jeff Jarrett more by allowing all the buyers to see Chuck Norris knock him on his ass?

I went to BestBuy today to pick up Tbe Undertaker DVD but fat ass Paul Bearer got the last copy. Can you believe that shit? BTW, I live in Mobile, AL.

Now THAT's some funny stuff right there.

I also don't know why they chose the ridiculous 1994 Royal Rumble casket match over the 1994 Survivor Series match. After all, why wouldn't the WWE want to embarass Jeff Jarrett more by allowing all the buyers to see Chuck Norris knock him on his ass?

I assume they chose the rumble one cuz of the post match crap, that served to transition Taker to the "purple and black" taker with newly redone music. However I agree that the SS rematch would have been appreciated by all but I remember it being a terrible match (though I only saw it once when I rented the video back in 94) . The rumble actual match per say lasted like 5 mins before the massive amounts of heels came out to interfere.

and if I saw Paul trying to get the last dvd, I'd be all like "Yoink" and grab it while he is surprised by the yelling. Imagine him chasing you going "oooooo no" (in that trademark voice)

I got to get to BB bu tmy luck itll be sold out as they dont seem to get in many copies of wwe dvds when they first come out (hell they didnt even get wm 21 in on the RELEASE DAY here)

I remember something abpot the DVD set. I think it's 20 minutes on the main program of the 2nd disc I heard WWF Title. I had earphones on and I could hear it.

oops, the same thing happened on the foley set during the Cactus-HH streetfight from Rumble 2000. Two utterances of wwf are left unedited but the rest are edited oddly.

Damn I'm really torn on this one. I really, REALLY shouldn't spend money on DVD's right now, but 16.99 is almost too hard to pass up.

Let me ask those who have seen these matches, how are:

UT v. HBK - Ground Zero

UT v. Bret Hart - One Night Only (Is it as good as advertised?)

UT v. Mankind - Revenge of Taker

UT v. Kurt Angle - Smackdown Match

Thanks.

Guest rawmvp

Even for 16.99 I felt like this DVD set was a ripoff. The Undertaker never speaks about his career or anything, which is just stupid. Most of the matches suck, and the only match worth getting it for (Taker vs. Hart from One Night Only) is going to be on the Bret DVD, anyway.

Save your money. 17 bucks is still 17 bucks.

Guest *KNK*
Even for 16.99 I felt like this DVD set was a ripoff. The Undertaker never speaks about his career or anything, which is just stupid. Most of the matches suck, and the only match worth getting it for (Taker vs. Hart from One Night Only) is going to be on the Bret DVD, anyway.

ONO isn't confirmed for the Hart dvd. Nothing has been except for the very obvious.

Guest *KNK*

Know what's a fun game? Counting how many tombstones Undertaker didn't actually hit.

The Undertaker is one of my favorite wrestlers and it was worth the money.

I know alot of you will hate this but I think they should have shown his Wrestlemania match with Sid because it was historical.