TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Slickster

Tombstone: The History of the Undertaker

Even for 16.99 I felt like this DVD set was a ripoff. The Undertaker never speaks about his career or anything, which is just stupid. Most of the matches suck, and the only match worth getting it for (Taker vs. Hart from One Night Only) is going to be on the Bret DVD, anyway.

Save your money. 17 bucks is still 17 bucks.

The Undertaker is one of my favorite wrestlers and it was worth the money.

I know alot of you will hate this but I think they should have shown his Wrestlemania match with Sid because it was historical.

Or, better yet, they could package Xanax with the set...

I haven't seen the KOR99 Rock match prior to this so maybe someone can answer a question about it.

During the match their using 3-4 cameras and everytime they switch to one in particular it looks like they used the kind of camera you use for a documentary.

I'm just curious if it was like this when the PPV originally aired.

Makes the experience a bit odd.

Me--Ok watching Taker/Rock

*Camera Changes*

Me--Wait, no, it's Beyond the Mat

Is there any point particually that this happens. I'd like to check but I don't know if I could sit through this match again.

Guest M. Harry Smilac
I haven't seen the KOR99 Rock match prior to this so maybe someone can answer a question about it.

During the match their using 3-4 cameras and everytime they switch to one in particular it looks like they used the kind of camera you use for a documentary.

*Camera Changes*

Is there any point particually that this happens. I'd like to check but I don't know if I could sit through this match again.

It happens about every 1-2 minutes in the beginning of the match but happens alot less once the match gets about 10 minutes in.

The cameraman is on the entrance side of the ring with his back to the entranceway.

*Camera Changes*

It happens about every 1-2 minutes in the beginning of the match but happens alot less once the match gets about 10 minutes in.

The cameraman is on the entrance side of the ring with his back to the entranceway.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Finally saw the Undertaker-Hart match from One Night Only.

I enjoyed it very much and I know the Undertaker never puts on ***** star matches but the dvd is worth it for nostaglia and a few fun matches mixed in.

$16, you can't go wrong.

I watched the first disc tonight, and the 2nd disc on the Benoit DVD. Totally different wrestlers but if every wrestler was the same, then it might get a little boring.

Guest *KNK*

I think the Ground Zero match was greatly underlooked. Shawn was awesome chicken heel here and took a great beating from Undertaker.

I finally saw the ONO match about an hour ago and it lived up to the hype of being "a really great match". Why couldn't that been the

'Slam match? It's weird to see one match with the two go ****1/4 and the one before it only was ** (being generous).

Guest *KNK*

Another question...

Who is the narrator? I reconigize the voice but i can't place it. I'm sure it's someone obvious...

I just think Michaels stole the spotlight at the Summerslam match

And add to the fact, you had the Hart Foundation & Paul Bearer try to come down PLUS the whole "if i lose, I will never wrestle again in the United States" storyline.

Just too much drama. At ONO, It was just about the match.

I watched all of disc 1 except for the extras the nigth I got the DVD, and I watched the extras (including the One night Only match) as well as a few matches from disc 2 last night.

As I've said, I've never been an Undertaker fan. I love the gimmick but usually hate his matches, and I wanted him to retire a year or two ago. But man... I hadn't seen 2/3 of these matches since I rarely ever get PPVs, but dude turns it on for pay-per-view. With the exception of the Yokozuna and Hogan matches, everything on the discs that I have seen thus far is decent to great. Well worth the $18.31 I paid for the set.

On the subject of the matches with Bret, I thought the SummerSlam match was tons better than One Night Only. But then again, I watched ONO while staving off sleep, so maybe I need to give it another chance. I'll watch it again anyway just because it features my all time favorite wrestler, Bret Hart.

Guest *KNK*

Watching this makes me miss the glory days of 1997-2000.

1999 might have sucked work-rate wise but damn it, they seemed inspired back then. Fully Loaded 99, which was a crummy main event, still felt like a MAIN EVENT. Today, Batista/JBL from GAB felt like a SD match.

WWE might be making a mistake releasing 1997-2000 footage, fans(the ones who stuck around) may start remembering "fuck, this used to kick ass".

Also, the match selection is pretty weird here.

What was the purpose of Austin/UT from FL 1999? The whole match was about McMahon/Austin. UT was just a bully.

If they wanted Austin/UT, they should have just put Summer Slam 1998. That match was about Austin/UT and was a pretty major main event and was a better match anyways.

*Camera Changes*

Haven't watched this DVD yet but I do remember on some other DVDs this occurence. I believe it's them re-editing it like zooming in to avoid showing the WWF logos on the side of the ring and such, which I guess would be an alternative to blurring.

Guest lo0p

*Camera Changes*

Haven't watched this DVD yet but I do remember on some other DVDs this occurence. I believe it's them re-editing it like zooming in to avoid showing the WWF logos on the side of the ring and such, which I guess would be an alternative to blurring.

yup . this happens quite frequently. it happens in other matches as well, and other dvds.

Guest Jim Ross

Hmm... how come at exactly 31min 33sec into disc 2, we see Eric Bischoff?

Strange considering its supposed to be WWF 1997

I was really inclined not to buy this set because I'd seen pretty much everything that was on it, but the DVD picture-quality for some of the matches had me on the fence. Then I saw it on Best Buy the day of release and saw both the ONO match and the SD! match vs. Kurt included, and I saw the price tag ($16.99) and bought it right there. Funny what a difference a couple of matches can make on a comp. The one I wanted to have the most on DVD quality was the Ground Zero match, other than the two previously mentioned. I think it is safe to say that it's pretty much the best matches of Taker's career all included on this release. It won't have the same re-watchable quality for me as other sets like HBK's or Benoit's but still pretty good, specially since I'm not a Taker fan at all.

Haha, I really am not an Undertaker fan.. but this set is a must buy. Great quality, Good Matches (well really good for the guys involved).. and a fun time. Bret v. Taker is a legitimate **** match, give it a look!

I didn't buy the set, I'll either just spend the extra 7 bucks or put it on the Christmas list.

I don't love the Undertaker, but I do like the fact the set has matches against Hulk Hogan, Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, HHH & Kurt Angle. It's just too bad the Ric Flair WM X8 match is not on there.

Since my checking account is at 23 dollars, I guess I made the right move.

And off topic, is the Jake DVD supposed to be a 2 disc set?

I went to FYE last night, and saw ONE COPY (and it was up dropped into the best seller section, like somebody picked it up and then set it back down) and it was the only one I could find. It was 21.77...but I think they had a bunch, cause I saw about 10 Road Warrior DVDs in the wrestling section. So I guess it was selling pretty good.

Guest M. Harry Smilac
But man... I hadn't seen 2/3 of these matches since I rarely ever get PPVs, but dude turns it on for pay-per-view.  With the exception of the Yokozuna and Hogan matches, everything on the discs that I have seen thus far is decent to great.

Pretty much completey agree.Even the Diesel match was pretty watchable and I haven't ever made it through a full Diesel match in my life prior to this.

If they wanted Austin/UT, they should have just put Summer Slam 1998. That match was about Austin/UT and was a pretty major main event and was a better match anyways.

I was also VERY disappointed by the lack of that match on this set.

That's 2 discs too many IMO. Is there really that much great Jake The Snake material to fill up 3 discs?? This is a definitive skip on my part.

Include his run in the territories and ill get it.

Jake vs. Sting, Havoc 92 = GOLD

Guest *KNK*

The first disc is a documentry, You have expect Jake to have ALOT to say. Jim Ross said it was very dark and jake was very candid. That alone sells the DVD for me.

Jake was never a work-rate machine, but the man is REQUIRED viewing for those youngsters looking learn how to use crowd control, psychology and the art of under-stated and effective promo.

Fill the DVD up with his entire WWF '91-92 heel run.

Yeah I know that was a crappy way to package.

Anyway, the early UT stuff was pretty crappy but once the first DVD kicks it into high gear for the Mankind feud it really hums. The Revenge of the Taker match is a total forgotten classic, I liked that one even more than the Bret ONO match.

You still have that stuff, the first two HIAC matches (which are both awesome), some other good stuff. That said some of it makes no sense in context, like it goes from the Hogan feud to early 1994 vs. Yokozuna....would a package with clips saying "Taker worked his way up the ladder through 1992 and 93 by beating Berserker, Kamala, and Giant Gonzalez before getting his shot at Yokozona." It also skipped over the Corporation feud, which isn't a bad thing but a short highlight reel of it would be nice to give some perspective on what he was doing if nothing else. Also, why the RR 94 match and not the Series 94 rematch? I'd have had clips from the Rumble match and put the rematch where UT prevails.

One thing I found funny is they didn't mention or show a clip of Paul Bearer turning on him. Considering the little review segments in between the matches are presumebly for newer fans to catch them up, I'm sure they'd be a bit confused that one match Paul Bearer is Taker's loyal manager and then the next match is managing his enemy. A short clip of Bearer turning on him to help Mankind at Summerslam 96 before the Buried Alive match would have been warranted.

I noticed that too, I was like WTF? The Boiler Room Brawl is way too long and I can see why it wasn't on here, but a highlight package of it and the Bearer heel turn was 100% needed.

Also, the 3rd disc here is really boring. It's nothing but the BikerTaker stuff with dreary crap against Hogan in 2002, Cena when he was little more than a rookie, Vince, etc.