TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Epic Reine

Unexpected title changes

Guest Chea!

Ric Flair beating Macho Man for his second WWF Title reign came out of nowhere to me. And they followed that up with Bret Hart beating Flair.

Diesel beating Bob Backlund also surprised me because Backlund just won the belt.

Yeah, I flipped on Nirto and in the ring with title drapped across his shoulder was Booker T. Huge mark-out moment and I'm not a big Booker T fan.

Carlito winning the IC title.

I thought they'd have a DQ win that night, as I thought they were pushing Shelton.

Let's see...what else...

Harvey Whippleman: Women's Champion

Vince Russo: WCW Champion...

I'm sure I'll think of more.

1 - Bunkhouse Buck & Dick Slater went from "are they fired yet?" to tag team champions.

2 - Public Enemy went from "can't buy a win" to WCW tag team champions.

3 - Two words: AMERICAN MALES

4 - Windham & Rhodes in 1992 had been booked pretty jobber-ish-ly towards late '92 (loss to Barbarian and Reed CONVINCINGLY at a Clash in Sept.), then all of a sudden then beat the UNBEATABLE Miracle Violence Connection for the WCW Tag Team Titles.

5 - Bagwell & Scorpio over Nasty Boys for WCW Tag Titles was a shocker, and a stupid thing.

Eddie Guerrero's 2nd cruiser title win on Nitro was strange, considering Rey chased it for so long and just FINALLY won it from Eddie at Havoc in their classic. So they book a rematch which Eddie easily wins in 5 minutes.

The thing with Jericho winning the undisputed title was that people should've suspected somethign was up as soon as they booked the card.  Austin was the WWF champ and Rock was the World champ.  If they were planning to unify the titles, why not just have a champion vs. champion match.  Considering it would be Austin-Rock, title-for-title, they could've hyped the shit out of that and drawn a huge buyrate off those two.

The only reason they didn't do that because there was no plan to actually have that match (i.e.- the title was going to somebody else- Jericho).

In fact, Flair originally made it Austin-Rock, but Vince didnt like either of the them at the time. He thus came and out to say to that if he were Austin hed want his hands on Angle and the same for Rock and Jericho.

Honky Tonk Man beating Steamboat so soon after WMIII was pretty surprising as well.

Thats the thing with the Internet, we would have known that Steamboat was taking a break.

that booking almost felt like it was on the spot, didn't it?

And was crap IMHO.

Diesel beating Bob Backlund also surprised me because Backlund just won the belt.

How old was Backlund at the time?

Guest Ransome
The thing with Jericho winning the undisputed title was that people should've suspected somethign was up as soon as they booked the card.  Austin was the WWF champ and Rock was the World champ.  If they were planning to unify the titles, why not just have a champion vs. champion match.  Considering it would be Austin-Rock, title-for-title, they could've hyped the shit out of that and drawn a huge buyrate off those two.

The only reason they didn't do that because there was no plan to actually have that match (i.e.- the title was going to somebody else- Jericho).

Hindsight is, of course, 20/20. As I recall, the word on the internet prior to Vengeance 2001 was that Jericho was the surefire bet to win, particularly given that Jericho had been pinned by Austin on Raw (which is usually an indicator of the reverse being the PPV main event finish). The group of non-internet wrestling fans I was watching the PPV with were shocked that I guessed the correct outcome, while that they felt Austin-Rock was the guaranteed main event.

The topic really needs to be divided in two, since there's a distinction between title changes unexpected by fans 'in the know' on the Internet and title changes unexpected by those who watch WWE television only. Big Show winning the title from Brock at SurSer 02, for example, would certainly qualify as the latter, since the Internet fans knowing of Brock's injury wouldn't have been quite as shocked as they ought have been.

The Varsity Club beating the Road Warriors for the NWA straps surprised me. They'd set the RW to look so unbeatable, and then had them lose to a thrown together tag team. (Yes, I know it was because Teddy Long fastcounted, but it just seemed like such a piss-poor decision).

Another Road Warriors one: Garvin & Regal beating them for the AWA belts. Again, it was due to outside interference but I can't see why the AWA would go from a pair of monsters to a mix-match tag team of a CW and a JTTS as their new champs.

Jannetty beating Michaels for the I-C belt back in 93. Likewise, he and the Kid beating the Quebeccers for the Tag belts before Rumble 94.

Now that I think about it, I didn't see the Quebeccers' tag title win over the Steiners coming.

Sid beating Bret the day after Final Four.

D'Lo beating HHH for the Euro Title. X-Pac going over D'Lo for the belt a few months later was a bit surprising as well.

Chyna beating Trish to win the I-C Title came out of left field too.

Mike Awesome running in and winning the Hardcore title.

Lance Storm winning the IC title from Albert (?)

Kane winning the WWF Title for a day.

Mankind winning the WWF Title each time was a surprize to me.

On the reverse, I was surprized at the time that Foley didn't win the Cell match with HHH back in 2000.

42 or somewhere around there.

D'Lo beating HHH for the Euro Title. X-Pac going over D'Lo for the belt a few months later was a bit surprising as well.

That was freakin fantastic on Raw. D-Lo's reaction was absolutely brilliant when he won.

42 or somewhere around there.

Not that old then to be seen as a fluke.

Well, age has nothing to do with it.

1) He had the title for less than a week

2) and jobbed it in ten seconds

3) on a non-televised house show

4) to a guy who hadn't even been in the title picture for quite some time.

Guest Greg Valentine

I would definitely say Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit's wins last year were unexpected just because I could not believe either of those would actually happen until I saw them. Heidenreich and Animal winning at GAB caught me off guard, I thought the obvious booking was MNM going over Heidenreich, then let Animal do the Doomsday Device after the match so the fans would be happy. I also did not expect Randy Orton to beat Benoit at Summerslam, I didn't think Orton was ready for that spot at all. Same goes for Brock beating Rock at Summerslam, I just did not buy him as WWE Champion at first and as soon as I really get into him as champ, they go and book Big Show to beat him! That was pretty unexpected too for me at least, now that I think about it.

Here's one that completely slipped under the radar. Sometime in either 98 or 99, WWE had a house show at Skydome (I think) on a Saturday night. Edge defeated Jeff Jarrett for his first I.C title. The next night, Jarrett won the belt back at whatever ppv it was.

I would also say that all the Jarrett/Ramon I.C title switches on that tour of Quebec were pretty shocking as well. I remember watching Raw and they would go over to Live Event news and I was so suprised to see that Jarrett and Ramon had switched the title twice in the span of a week.

In 2001 me and my father was in the United Stated (I'm from Sweden) over my 18th birthday. It was a gift I got and we attended No Mercy 2001 (I was ringside of course). At this point in time I hadn't seen a single RAW och SmackDown since WWF hadn't been on swedish television since 1994 (they switched to WCW and then stopped showing any wrestling in late 1995 - one small exception of one hour RAW/SD which aired for six months last year. Shortly after No Mercy I found out about releases on the Internet and have seen all RAW's and SD since). Anyway I loved the PPV and the next day I was watching RAW on tv. I remember being shocked that a shitload of titles changed hands on that show. I remember predicting the matches with my father and I said that I didnt think any of the belts wuld change hands because it was on free tv but all belts that were on the line that night did indeed change hands with the exception of the hardcore title (ironic isnt it?). That was October 22nd 2001.

RAW October 22nd 2001 recap:

http://rajah.com/wwf/raw/52.php

That was very shocking to me.

Guest jm29195

Was there any reasoning behind the AFKAPI/Kidman/AFKAPI cruiser title switches on WCW house shows in Feb 2000?

Mankind's 3rd WWF Championship SummerSlam

The Rock's 1st WWF Championship Survivor Series

Booker T's 1st WCW Championship Bash at the Beach

Chris Jericho Undisputed Championship

Hogan finger poke of doom

DDP dropping the belt to Sting on a Nitro then winning it back in the ME

Carlito's US and IC title wins

Eddie Guerrero WWE Championship

AJ Styles 2nd and 3rd NWA Championship

Raven NWA Championship

Here's an obscure one I found out about a year or two back. Terry Funk won the U.S. title at a house show in the late summer/early fall of 2000 against Lance Storm in his hometown of Amarillo, Texas and ya know, I'm not even sure if WCW even bothered job the title off of Funk on a later house show.

Like the say, if it didn't happen on TV, it didn't happen.

Here's an obscure one I found out about a year or two back. Terry Funk won the U.S. title at a house show in the late summer/early fall of 2000 against Lance Storm in his hometown of Amarillo, Texas and ya know, I'm not even sure if WCW even bothered job the title off of Funk on a later house show.

Like the say, if it didn't happen on TV, it didn't happen.

I know they mentioned it on their website, but I don't remember if they mentioned it on TV or not.

not sure about the mention on TV or not, but Funk did drop it to storm on the next house show.

Kane also had to win at KotR '98 because of the 'edgy' booking of him burning himself alive if he lost.

I dont think Ill ever be more shocked by a title change than actually seeing HHH tap out for Benoit at WMXX.

yea I forgot to add that. Talk about booking yourself into a corner. But I guess it turned out alright cuz IIRC they got a huge Rating for the RAW rematch the night after.

Ron Simmons winning the belt

Vader beating Sting at GAB 1992

Michael P.S. Hayes beating Lex Luger for the US Title

Kevin Nash beating Goldberg. I should've known.

The Giant beating Ric Flair for the title on Nitro in 1996

-----------

The Quebeccers beating the Steiner Brothers (Regardless of the way it happened)

Shawn Michaels beating the British Bulldog for the IC title on SNME 1992

Bret Hart winning the title at WM X. I definitely thought Luger was winning going in.

Eddie Guerrero beating Brock Lesner

Marty Janetty beating Shawn Michaels for the IC Title

1-2-3 Kid and Bob Holly winning the titles in the Tournament. I was like WTF?