TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

This Week in Baseball

Anyone see the story of the Marlins bat boy who did the Jackass classic "Milk Challenge" (That is, trying to drink a gallon of milk in an hour) get suspended for 6 days? I heard that on Michael Kay's show today and saw a link at ESPN somewhere.

Was this something with the Dodgers? I remember hearing about that.

The link...

Marlins suspend batboy for milk-drinking dare

Milk does a body good, but it didn't do good for one batboy.

On a dare, a Florida Marlins batboy tried to drink a gallon of milk in under an hour without throwing up. But not only did the batboy not succeed in the challenge, his mere attempt cost him his job for six games, the Miami Herald reported Wednesday.

The Marlins suspended the unidentified batboy for the team's upcoming six-game homestand against the Cardinals and Mets from Aug. 28 through Sept. 4 for accepting the dare Sunday from Dodgers pitcher (and former Marlin) Brad Penny.

Penny offered the batboy $500 if he could drink a gallon of milk in less than an hour before Sunday's game without throwing up. Penny told the paper the boy drank the milk and didn't throw up, but didn't finish the gallon in the allotted time frame to win the dare.

"It's kind of ridiculous that you get a 10-game suspension for steroids and a six-game suspension for milk," Penny told the Herald.

''It's ridiculous that they worry about stuff like that. It shows they [the Marlins organization] don't know anything about the game. That kind of stuff goes on everwhere. It didn't affect the way he worked, the way he did his job".

Do batboys get paid? If so, I'd guess that there's a conflict of interest.

Mike Jacobs (who was in AA Binghamton not a week ago) just hit his third home run in five games. 3-0 Mets in the top of the second.

I know it's way too early to get an accurate read on this guy, but he looks incredibly promising thus far.

Wow, Mussina gave up eight runs in the fifth. How does a starter get left in to give up eight runs in any inning, let alone an inning in the second half of the game? He had given up five runs already, had clearly lost control, yet he gets left in to give up a three-run homer to Vernon Wells. I just shook my head at that one. Not that I'm complaining, as the Jays finally ended a 5-game losing streak.

The Yankees might actually be better served to miss the postseason. At least that way, something might get done about this team, instead of pretending they're close to contending for a World Series.

Anyway, Oakland has a share of the WC lead back, as they beat the Tigers and Cleveland also lost.

Oh my God. With bases loaded and one out, the Mets scored two runs on a double play. Damndest thing I've seen in a long time.

I'm going to hazard a guess...ball hit down to first, 1B steps on first for one out, runner on first smartly gets into a long rundown and allows the runner on second to come all the way around to score?

Close, the ball was hit to second. The funniest part of the whole thing was that the Diamondbacks 3rd baseman was shouting and pointing at Reyes while he was rounding third, but the right side of the infield just kept trying to get the runner out and didn't do so until Reyes had easily scored.

LOL...what a brain fart.

Of course, the first brain fart was probably the 1B not throwing to either home or second instead of stepping on the bag. If they manage to turn the double play with two forceouts, they keep any runs from scoring at all.

EDIT: OK, I'm lost now...why would the 2B make the first out at FIRST??? I'm going to have to check out the highlights on this one...that could be one of the biggest all-around infielding boners ever.

Edited by CanadianChris

ESPN has it as : "C Beltran grounded into double play, second to first to shortstop to pitcher, R Castro and J Reyes scored, K Matsui out at second."

...the fuck?

Only thing I can imagine is the second basemen running away from the bag (basically in shallow right field), so first base is his only play, but it's impossible that Kaz Matsui can't beat that throw to second.

Here's the gist of it; the second baseman got it in his head to tag Matsui and then throw to first, and when he Matsui initially avoided the tag, he threw to first to get Beltran and then Matsui got caught in the extended rundown.

You guys should still watch the highlights, 'cause it was funny as hell. :)

OMG, I just saw it and it was even funnier. Matsui just stopped dead and dared the 2B to come and tag him, but he threw to first instead, setting up the rundown. I can think of about three plays that would have been better, off the top of my head.

The supposed "Best offense in baseball" leaves the bases loaded in THREE INNINGS without scoring a run on the fucking Royals and have to use Arroyo only to lose the game in the 11th. They could have used Remlinger and been done two innings earlier.

With Schilling going tomorrow and the bats asleep (seriously, KEVIN MILLAR was the top offensive player), they've got a good shot at dropping 2 of 3 to KC as well.

Hey, I was predicting a 2-8 road trip, so 4-6 is an improvement.

Seriously, they seem to be back to the old "Mash the ball, crap bullpen, pray for a great home record" Sox teams that plagued the John Harrington Era. If they don't make a serious run at Burnett in the offseason (because Schilling's not an ace anymore), I'll be very disappointed.

A couple of news items. There's more turmoil in the Dodgers' lockerroom, as Milton Bradley is upset that Brad Penny used white milk instead of chocolate milk to bet the Marlins' batboy.

Also, Frank Robinson has come out and said the records of steroid users should be expunged from the record books. Surprisingly, Ryan Franklin has come out in support of Robinson.

Chacon's start really reminded me of one of those gritty starts Clemens used to make all the time on the Yanks. He really had nothing, terrible control, but he battled his way to a decent start.

Aramis is likely heading to the DL, so expect to see Jose Macias getting lots of at-bats in the coming days.  Ugh.

I was like "well at least he's at third and not center," but when he looked so thoroughly clueless trying to field a Jeff Francoeur bunt, I realized it doesn't matter. Yup. Neifi and Macias are half of the infield. Let's get Todd Hollandsworth in left and bring back Tom Goodwin now and wrap up the year with the Dusty Baker All-Stars.