TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vampiro69

Comics books you liked that are no longer printed

Recently with the resurgence of Deathstroke, I picked up a whole bunch of Deathstroke The Terminator comic books from a local store. All I have to say is that Marv Wolfman was an awesome writer for the series.

What out of print books did you really enjoy?

Guest JMA
Peter David's Supergirl.

It sucks that it was replaced by a shitty silver age retread.

You do know that PAD really liked Kara, right? Why do you think he did the very popular "Many Happy Returns" storyline in the first place? He wanted to keep Kara around after issue 80 and have her be Supergirl (with Linda graduating to Superwoman). He would also have added Power Girl to the team, in a new book called Blonde Justice. He was told that he could only use Kara for six issues, but he was hoping to change the minds of the higher ups with good sales. Unfortunately, he got more support from fans with issue 80 than with 75. DC actually wanted to replace Linda when Cir-El, and when that bombed they decided to go with a new version of Kara (seeing as how she helped boost the numbers for the PAD series).

Regardless, if PAD got what he wanted, Kara still would've been around--and she still would've been Supergirl.

Now, as for titles that I liked that are no longer published...

The Maxx

Friends of Maxx

Miracleman

Guest Prodigy

Young Justice by Peter David and Todd Nauck. Yeah, it's been replaced by Teen Titans which is good too, but it doesn't have the same feel as YJ.

I was going to say The Maxx as well. Really intriguing and funny and sad. Always liked Keith's artwork too.

Also after picking up some of the old Giffen League, and the later Can't believe it's not the Justice League, I wish those had been given a longer run. Though that wouldn't really work since

DC seems to love the notion of raping and killing every member of it systematically.

I didn't read the Peter David Supergirl series, so someone clue me in - did it have any connection with David's "Fallen Angel" series? And if so, was it ever explained why the Fallen Angel was such a fucking cunt?

My pick is obscure, but I'd go with The Creeper. I've always liked the character and I thought that a lot could have been done with him. A new series - preferably under the Vertigo imprint - would be sweet.

^ I was just about to post it. Too bad Neil Gaiman decided to call it quits.

I've tried dabbling in some of the spinoffs, but man, it just makes me realize that nobody but Gaiman should touch those characters.

Valiant Comics:

Eternal Warrior: A Highlander-like tale of an immortal warrior who fights evil and protects the Geomancer, an individual chosen to listen to the Earth and do its bidding.

Harbinger: X-Men knockoff that had better writing

HARD Corps: Paramilitary organization whose members had implants that allowed them to use Harbinger powers one at a time

I didn't read the Peter David Supergirl series, so someone clue me in - did it have any connection with David's "Fallen Angel" series?  And if so, was it ever explained why the Fallen Angel was such a fucking cunt?

It was rumored that Fallen Angel was really Linda Danvers (Supergirl's human half), but David will never admit it because that'd mean DC owns the character and not him. At the end of the Supergirl series, Linda left Leesburg for good and quit being Supergirl. Both Lee from Fallen Angel and Linda Danvers had the same occupation in their "true" identities.

I really liked X-Statix and Moon Knight.

I really liked the Mark Bagley-era New Warriors, and the original Marvel Team-Up with Spidey and friends. Also kinda followed Rom Spaceknight but didn't read the whole series.

The Vigilante.

I wanted Marvel and DC to do a cross-over with Vigilante and the Punisher so badly when I was buying both books. They could have fought Bullseye and Deadshot with bullets flying everywhere. It could have been cool.

I remember reading the Vigilante stories in the old west, you know, in those really old comics. I even remember this one story he had to do some stuff blindfolded, then other stuff without using his voice, and then without hearing. God, I'm feeling old remembering this stuff.

Is the current Vigilante some kind of descendant from this one, or was the original Vigilante erased from continuity?

West Coast AVengers was one of my favorite books for the first 70 or so issues. John Byrne's run in particular was excellent.