TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

This Week In Baseball

A day earlier, but I wanted to get back on the Monday-Sunday track. Tonight we start a huge four game series between the Astros and Marlins. Florida trails Houston by half a game, so the winner earns the wild card lead (unless the teams split and the Phillies sweep Atlanta). Game one features Dontrelle Willis vs. Brandon Backe. In addition, the Giants and Padres start a series at SBC Park. The Giants can get back into the race with a sweep, and Barry Bonds returns tonight. Adam Eaton vs. Kevin Corriea.

In the American League tonight, we have Oakland at Cleveland. Cleveland is leading the wild card, and actually beginning to put slight pressure on the Chicago White Sox. The Sox' lead is down to 5.5 games, less than any NL division lead. Danny Haren vs. C.C. Sabathia. The A's trail the wild card by 2.5 and the west by 2.

I really think Cleveland has a realistic shot at the division now. After the Oakland series, they get six games against the White Sox, and their other nine games are all against either Kansas City or Tampa Bay. If they can win both series against the Sox, they've got a decent chance at it.

I predict:

Marlins and Astros split series 2-2.

Phillies and Braves split series 2-2, or Phils possibly win 3-1 if they can give the debuting rookie pitcher tonight some run support early.

The Phillies MUST win 3 of 4 from the Braves, IMO. Too many road woes ahead.

The Sox pitching has fallen off, they're getting 1 good, 1 bad from most of the guys, and they miss Podsednik at the top of the lineup, despite the %'s he's a difference maker. Cleveland is obviously the hotter team at the moment, it's just a matter of Chicago's pitching holding them off.

*nevermind, I didn't even realize he was back, fuck Chicago :headbang:

I really think Cleveland has a realistic shot at the division now.  After the Oakland series, they get six games against the White Sox, and their other nine games are all against either Kansas City or Tampa Bay.  If they can win both series against the Sox, they've got a decent chance at it.

They've been terrible against the White Sox all season, though. And they have to play 6 games over the White Sox for the rest of the season and the White Sox have just as easy a schedule. It's almost impossible for the Indians to realistically pull this off.

I just hope they can win enough games to keep the Yankees out of the post season

The Sox pitching has fallen off, they're getting 1 good, 1 bad from most of the guys, and they miss Podsednik at the top of the lineup, despite the %'s he's a difference maker.  Cleveland is obviously the hotter team at the moment, it's just a matter of Chicago's pitching holding them off.

*nevermind, I didn't even realize he was back, fuck Chicago  :headbang:

Scott Podesdnik is the epitome of average.

I wouldn't call six games against Minnesota a real creampuff of a schedule, especially when the Twins went into US Cellular (God that sounds so wrong) and swept the Sox just last month. I still think Cleveland has the schedule advantage coming down the stretch.

Twins are done. They have no hitting, and no their starting pitching is in the toilet right know. The White Sox should have no problem taking 5 out of 6 against the Twins.

Guest Smues

The Spokane Indians (short season single A) just won the North West League championship. Came back from two games down to win the series 3-2. They went 37-39 in the regular season. Huzzah losing record winning the championship.

I'm surprised no one mentioned it yet, but Barry makes his season debut tonight. Should be interesting tomorrow, especially if he jacks one out.

Marlins have an early advantage against the 'Stros and Willis appears to have his A game but could change very easily.

Well time to stop paying attention to all baseball media the rest of the year. Ugh and I was so hoping he'd fail miserably. The Padres better put them away this series.

Question to Red Sox fans, why was Timlin in the 7th?!?

What Treble said and I'm starting to think that the Sox are trying out Papelbon as the closer and see if that will fix things. They've said all year that they don't want to blow out his arm, though.

If they don't want Papelbon to blow out his arm, try having him mix in a curve or change every now and then. If he throws nothing but gas, he's going to end up like Todd Van Poppel.

There's a difference between Jon Papelbon throwing straight gas at 24/25 and Todd Van Poppel doing it right out of high school. Throwing a curve will put more strain on an arm than a fastball generally. And Papelbon is already better than Van Poppel ever was.