TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

This Week In Baseball

Ryan Howard is a STUD! You know Thome is getting traded, and the Phillies will probably eat most of the contract to do it too.

Any early predictions on where Howard gets drafted in Fantasy ball next year? I'm thinking he sneaks into the 4th or 5th rd.

Another great, dramatic game at Shea tonight. Too bad the Mets are playing well about two weeks too late.

However, I'm kinda disappointed that these wins are putting the Marlins out of it, as I wanted Florida to win the Wild Card if the Mets weren't going to.

Edit: Oh man, Cleveland's just beating the shit out of the White Sox at this point. The Sox have gotta be feeling at least a touch nervous about winning their division at this point.

Man, looked like Timlin was going to punch the NY reporters in the face- good stuff.

Cleveland, Chicago, Boston, New York, LA, Oakland- god, the AL is way too fucking close.

Another great, dramatic game at Shea tonight. Too bad the Mets are playing well about two weeks too late.

However, I'm kinda disappointed that these wins are putting the Marlins out of it, as I wanted Florida to win the Wild Card if the Mets weren't going to.

Edit: Oh man, Cleveland's just beating the shit out of the White Sox at this point. The Sox have gotta be feeling at least a touch nervous about winning their division at this point.

Don't be disappointed. The Marlins don't deserve to win the wild card.

I am going to have a smile on my face the entire day that Jack McKeon gets fired. I didn't like him when we won in 2003, and I absolutely hate him now. He makes the worst personnel decisions; he refuses to play rookies; and his old school approach is exactly what a team configured like the Marlins DOESN'T need.

I'm just hoping the Marlins find a way to hire Joe Girardi.

Cubs lose! Cubs lose!

Brady Clark had four hits tonight. Jeff Cirillo gets the game winning base hit in the bottom of the 9th with 2 outs. Brewers take the series against the Cubs and go for the sweep tomorrow.

Cubs impressed me with the comeback against Turnbow, but how can you think Dusty's NOT trying to lose when he brings in the erradic Van Buren in a tied game in the bottom of the ninth? As soon as I saw him in, I knew it was over.

PS- the Phillies would be nuts not to rob a team blind by trading Howard.

The White Sox extra innings win last night may have saved them for the time being, but man the Indians are just crushing people right now. The White Sox can at least feel somewhat safe knowing that they won't have to face these guys in the 1st round.

Guest Brian
The White Sox extra innings win last night may have saved them for the time being, but man the Indians are just crushing people right now.  The White Sox can at least feel somewhat safe knowing that they won't have to face these guys in the 1st round.

Man, Cleveland is gonna come out guns a blazin' next series. The sox, if they lose the division, are probably gonna drop out of the race. I knew this shit was gonna happen.

To answer a question from a week or two ago, here's how the tiebreaker works in a three-team tie with two from the same division:

If three clubs finish the season with the same winning percentage and one team will be a division winner and another will be the wild card, the games will be played as follows: The two teams tied for the division lead will play the one-game tie-breaker, with the winner being declared the division champion. The losing team will then play the club from the other division for the wild card.

I don't hate it, but it still bugs. This ends the well-established practice of one-game playoffs counting in the standings.

Guest TheDon

Why should the team that ties for first place be punished if they loss while the other team the 2nd place team from another division gets a free pass into the playoffs?

Dear Pittsburgh,

Please try today.

________

Question: If Astros and Phils finish tied, they would play a one-game playoff even though the 'Stros have dominated Philly and swept them twice this year?

(If so, that's BS, takes away from the already too long reg. season matchup importance)

But hey, the Astros are boring.

Question: If Astros and Phils finish tied, they would play a one-game playoff even though the 'Stros have dominated Philly and swept them twice this year?

(If so, that's BS, takes away from the already too long reg. season matchup importance)

But hey, the Astros are boring.

The Astros and Phillies would indeed play a one-game playoff, and because of a coin flip, that game would take place at Citizens Bank Park.

I believe the head-to-head matchups only take effect when there are two teams tied for the division and both will make the playoffs regardless.

Michael Tucker comes through with a pinch hit single and the Phils lead 1-0

And Hudson is imploding as Shane Victorino hits a 3 run HR and the Phillies win 4-0.

Atlanta better hope that the Phillies win the wild card because if Cox has that little confidence in his bullpen, they're going to get sent home by Houston in the first round again this year.

Maddux was brilliant today, throwing 78 through eight scoreless innings. But for some reason, Dempster's in there for the ninth with the Cubs up 3-0. Maddux hadn't thrown more than 11 pitches in an inning, so I don't see why he's not out there to complete it.

And Hudson is imploding as Shane Victorino hits a 3 run HR and the Phillies win 4-0.

Atlanta better hope that the Phillies win the wild card because if Cox has that little confidence in his bullpen, they're going to get sent home by Houston in the first round again this year.

If we make the playoffs, Houston is going to rape us

Guest Smues

If we make the playoffs, Houston is going to rape us

Yep. I'm thinking 3 game sweep. That's of course if we don't blow the division lead. But that's all I'm hoping for is to win the division again. I won't be nearly upset this year if Houstin owns us as I was last year.

Well last year was bad luck (Chipper's injury) and Reitsma's complete ineptness.

If they win the division, Smoltz/Hudson/Sosa isn't bad, but the offence is so listless and uninspired.

Maddux was brilliant today, throwing 78 through eight scoreless innings.  But for some reason, Dempster's in there for the ninth with the Cubs up 3-0.  Maddux hadn't thrown more than 11 pitches in an inning, so I don't see why he's not out there to complete it.

C'mon, dude. You gotta get those saves converted, man. We gotta get Dempster's value up so that he's more expensive to re-sign, dude.

I'm not sure what the Braves are doing but they act like they have already clinched when in fact it's very much still a race in the NL East. What are they, up 4 with 9 to play? It'd take a major choke but they should at least try to win a few.

Yankees should tell Mussina hes on an 80 pitch count limit every start. Watching him throw strike after strike is a lot more fun than watching him nibble all the time.

Also, boy has A-Rod struck out a lot lately.

Guest TheDon

HIP HIP JORGE HIP HIP JORGE. Jorge Posada with 2 homeruns and 4 rbi's to make it 5-1 Yankees.