TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TNABaddboi

OAO 10/1 Impact Thread

Guest xSarahx

Instead of wasting space and picking apart the show, I just want to say I enjoyed the debut and think they did a good job for the time they had. I've followed TNA since the beginning and am pretty proud of how far they've made it. It wasn't perfect but I was a hell of a lot more excited and interested in watching TNA tonight then watching the stale and boring WWE product. I can't wait for Daniels and Joe to show what they've got. I'll definately be watching next week.

Wow, a really great show tonight. I had a couple of non-wrestling fans over while they were watching, and they seemed really impressed with what they saw. One friend is a wrestling fan, and seeing the X match and Petey Williams doing the Canadian Destroyer made him mark out. He marked out again when he saw "team 3D", and he really liked watching AJ Styles. He marked huge when he saw the Pele Kick. All in all, a great show that featured a lot of wrestlers that will keep newer fans interested.

I have to say that overall I was impressed with this show. It won't go down as one of the best, can't miss Wrestling TV Shows ever. But for a debut show, I haven't had this much fun with one since the WCW "Saturday Night" debut show back in '92 (when they started calling it WCW Saturday Night, IIRC). For the time given, they did all they had to. Show us that this leauge is major leauge (production values rock now), give us hot action (The matches weren't classics, but they got the job done...They entertained me. Something that hasn't been done in the WWE in a long time.

Positvies

- AJ Styles showing off what he is about. Pele Kick and Styles Clash own all.

- The 3 Way X-Division Match was a chain wrestling/spotfest fan's dream, and it all moved very well. Great way to show the new fans how hectic these things can get. Bound For Glory is going to blow the uniniated away. You can almost book it.

- The Promo Packages from start to finish were amazing.

- Canadian Explosion looks even better with better production values.

- For as much as I hate Jarret, the new alliance with AMW and Team Canada has a lot of potential storyline wise. And Jarret got owned for free by Team 3D and Nash

- Jeff Hardy got booed like a little bitch.

- The focus remained on Wrestling, and not lame ass skits.

Negatives

- Jarret shick was the final part of the show, but the Debut of Team 3D was a good payoff

- The show was only an Hour Long. This show would rock even more if it had an extra 30 - 60 minutes.

- Not enough Chris Daniels

- Not enough Raven

- Monty Brown is better than that, the match didn't show it.

- After 3 way X, Rhino and Jeff was a bit too much of a cool down, though I understood why it went down like that

The negatives seem numerous, but the only red flag was Jarret (and even that could be turned into a positive, storyline wise), and even with that the Positives outweighed the negatives by far, escpecially on a debut show. I always like the Wrestling on TNA whenever I caught it, but now I can sit down with it every week, and really get to know the product. The future is bright right now. I can't wait for next week's show.

Overall Grade: B/B+

Guest Biggles

The show was good, but it still felt like an over hyped independent show instead of a show by what is suppose to be the number two promotion in the united states.

Guest Coffey

Now that the action in this folder is most likely to increase, perhaps I should attempt to get in the good graces with a few people again. I'm sure my activity will increase around these parts again, like it was back when TNA were still doing the weekly Wednesday night PPV's.

If for no other reason, maybe so I can clamor to get a moderator posistion or something. Afterall, back when my friend Jeremy had a website, I reviewed TNA for the first eight weeks or so that they were on FSN. I'm a pretty big TNA fan, I just fell off for awhile when they didn't have TV.

The general consensus of the show amongst marks I've been around was that it had too many commercials and the matched didn't last long. The commercials thing can be blamed on Spike TV. They did the same shit when they were TNN to ECW. The match length, well, that can be blamed on the fact that TNA had to cram so much into a one-hour show. I think they did a stellar job with what they had.

The general consensus amongst non-smark internet fans is "why are Road Dogg, Jeff Jarrett and Kevin Nash in the main event?" To that, I respond, the show isn't all about them, 3LK are hardly ever that high up the card, and the last Jarrett/Nash match wasn't that bad. Why Jarrett won the title again, I can't answer that. I assume his winning the belt again and aligning with AMW was so that TNA could have Nash and Team 3D come out to end the first Spike show.

Guest slmon

I've watched TNA on and off for a few years. I really liked the show, and was wishing that they had two hours to showcase their wrestlers. Some kick-ass peformances, if brief, ones by Styles and others. Rhino/Hardy was just ok; I'm all right with that for one match, as they are there for name value. Rhino can do better against somebody not so banged-up. The use of old personalities was sparing and made an impact where it had to, such as Nash. The arrival of the Dudleyz was great; not only are they names, they can still go against the best anywhere. Staleness in WWE doesn't mean staleness everywhere. In short, good show and I think that most newbie viewers would watch again.

Just stop totally scoring this entire show for a second, especially comparing it to other TNA shows. What I think matters is how the show looked compared to WWE right now, and if you ask me, this show looked leaps and bounds better than most WWE shows of the past good while. Even the three way, while not great, it had action in it that casual fans have just never seen before.

I think this is going to hook people in, just because they aren't used to such different action, even if it wasn't "great" compared to other TNA matches.

Get what I'm saying?

Alot of thsi stuff tonight looked like a rip off of 1999 ECW. The WWE is still way better than this.

:lol:

it was all good except rhyno.hardy. stay away from having these former wwe guys fight each other. its the boredom of wwe that the viewer is trying to exploit. don't feed the boredom. hardy is as awful as usual to boot.

I wouldn't say Rhino was at fault, because he's had some good exciting matches before working for the WWF/WWE, and had some afterwards too (vs. Sabu at ONS comes to mind right away). Blame Hardy.

I think I may order BFG just to see Rhino GORE GORE GORE the fuck out of Hardy and see Abyss eat Triple Jump Moonsault and an Arabian Facebuster.

Overall, I'd say the debut Impact did exactly what was needed. It gave the new fans a taste, a mere sample if you will, of what TNA offers. It had two X-Division matches, it had a "monster" squashing a little guy, and it had names from the WWF/WWE facing each other. It showcased the top angle right now, and it hyped up the wrestlers that weren't in matches a decent amount.

I can't wait for next week's to see how well that all came off. Not necessarily enthusiastic about Team 3D vs. AMW, but I'm interested in seeing AMW work as heels since they just LOOKED better Saturday night in the suits and by Jarrett's side. I think they can pull off the heel tag work perfectly, especially against such an over team as Team 3D.

as much as I hate Hardy (and Rhino for that matter).. I thought the match they had wasnt really all that bad. It was better than most WWE matches of that length and the crowd was into it. It entertained me, and Jeff didn't blow anything.

I think Jeff may be getting motivated again, and I think the whole show was phenomenal. I expect a better timeslot and a 2 hour timeslot within 4 months if they keep this up.

But that's surely better than ending the first show with AJ, Joe and Aries, say, because casual WWE fans will actually know who they are. If it's Nash, Jarrett et al at the end of shows in six months, then we've got problems.

As for the show I thought it was great. Not the greatest thing of all time, but miles more fun and exciting than any Raw's I've seen in a long, long time, which is what they need to be doing. I watched it with a mate today who'd never watched and TNA before, and after seeing the AJ match and the three way wanted to see more of those guys, and in longer matches. And would've been willing to pay for them. Which is the exact sort of reaction they need to be getting, isn't it? But the only reason I got him to agree to sit down and watch the show was because of Hardy, Rhino, Sabu, Nash and even Jeff Jarrett, although in Jeff's case to a lesser extent. That I would say would be a pretty average 'mark' fan perception.

Just saw the show and I thought it was very good. Even with Nash at the end, I was a bit excited. For the casual viewers, I thought TNA did the ending well...kept bringing out surprises and old faces, but with the whole fast paced and chaotic atmosphere, it was really exciting.

I can understand the hostility towards pushing the old WWF and WCW retreads. I think it's a bad idea quite honestly since those guys all in some way have a negative buzz (aside from someone like Raven, who most people probably still kinda like....and of course they jobbed him to Jarrett to set up this current scene).

OOhhh...Ohhh...I know, I know!

He was never WWE World Champ.  \

1000 points to me!

But technically, what does "Intercontinental Champ" means?  Are you the champion of whats between the continents (which is the Ocean) or whats IN the continents...cuz that would technically make you a "World Champ", know what I'm saying?'

Dames

Easy explaination.

The Intercontinental Championship was a unification of the North American and South American championships, held by Pat Patterson (Legit) and I think Bobo Brazil (Probably kafabed). Hence, it's the championship of North and South America.

I loved how on the intro video package they mentioned that Jeff Jarrett has been a world champion everywhere he's been.  1,000 meaningless points to whoever tells me what's wrong with that statement.

He was a WWF World Tag Team Champion though, so it's not a lie to say he was a World champ there.

He didn't really get booed that bad. He still got face heat from the Hardy fangirls.

Jeff could come out wrapped in a nazi flag with a pair of pants reading "DEATH TO ALL AMERICANS" while using John Tesh music for his intro and the Hardy Fangirls will still cheer him.

As long as they can see him unwashed hair and skinny crack-created chest then they will love him forever.

Guest JMA

He didn't really get booed that bad. He still got face heat from the Hardy fangirls.

Jeff could come out wrapped in a nazi flag with a pair of pants reading "DEATH TO ALL AMERICANS" while using John Tesh music for his intro and the Hardy Fangirls will still cheer him.

As long as they can see him unwashed hair and skinny crack-created chest then they will love him forever.

I can't argue with that. He didn't really perform badly, though. He can be an asset to the company if used correctly.

The end of impact was horrible, with washed-up ex WWF, ex WCW employee after another being paraded out to terrible music.

Other than that, it was decent.

Kind of agree, although I understand why they did it. I haven't seen TNA in awhile, but its nice to see that Jarrett still dresses like a homosexual version of Ric Flair.

OOhhh...Ohhh...I know, I know!

He was never WWE World Champ.  \

1000 points to me!

But technically, what does "Intercontinental Champ" means?  Are you the champion of whats between the continents (which is the Ocean) or whats IN the continents...cuz that would technically make you a "World Champ", know what I'm saying?'

Then again, that means Chyna was a "world champ" at one point and I don't have enough lunch on lose in my stomach right not to accept that statement. 

OR, we'll have JJ vs. Aquaman for the undisputed IC championship. 

Dames

The problem would be that JJ would no sell the ENTIRE OCEAN since that's what Aquaman would throw at him, then JJ would hit THE STROKE! and get the pin :throwup:

I'd pay to see someone no sell the Entire Ocean. But it would have to be believable.

JJ vs. ALL Ocean Animals in SIX SIDES OF STEEL!

JJ with THE STROKE ON JAWS~!

ONE...TWO...NO!!!

JAWS KICKED OUT!!! JAWS KICKED OUT!!!!!

ORCA WITH A STEEL CHAIR!!!!

ITS OVER~!

Dames

That is the funniest thing I have read since the Bloom County strip on pro wrestling.

Thank you Dames, I really needed that.

My next question is, who is going to do the weekly Impact review?

Seeing how we have at least three people here with good wrestling knowledge and a solid background in TNA, the choice should be interesting.

No way does the Orca not do a heel turn on JAWS.

Plus when the Piranha hit the ring, it's all over for Flipper.

Double J would totally escape with the win.