TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dubq

TNA Comments which don't warrant a thread

I believe that was the NWA rulling rather than TNA.

Nope, TNA. Titles still stay with the champion on a DQ in NWA affiliates, IIRC. It was a TNA-exclusive rule, and a good one at that to keep it differentiated from other companies. Dropping it without mention is bullshit booking on TNA's part, so why does that not come as a surprise? Then again, there were rumors that they'd be doing a pseudo-screwjob in Montreal, so hey...maybe that's it.

From the latest Observer, a few rough estimates on TNA buy rates this year. The reason they're estimates is that the numbers are so small that they're not tracked closely:

36,000 for Destination X (Joe vs. Sting) and Bound For Glory (Sting vs. Angle)

35,000 for Turning Point (Joe vs. Angle) and Lockdown (Team Angle vs. Team Cage)

34,000 for Final Resolution (Joe vs. Angle)

27,000 for Genesis (Sting and Booker T vs. Angle and Nash)

26,000 for Hard Justice (Joe vs. Angle)

23,000 for Against All Odds (Angle vs. Cage)

22,000 for Slammiversary (King of the Mountain)

21,000 for Sacrifice (Angle vs. Sting vs. Cage)

17,000 for No Surrender (Angle vs. Abyss)

15,000 for Victory Road (Joe and Angle vs. Team 3D)

From the Montreal house show last night (courtesy wrestlingobserver.com):

Christian Cage beat Kurt Angle by DQ after referee Earl Hebner DQ’d Angle for using the title belt. Angle retained the title.

When did TNA drop the "titles can change hands on a DQ" rule?

The rule is, they can lose the title if they get dq'ed in their 1st defense after winning the belt.

The fact that Sacrifice is the one I ordered (for it being the last under the NWA banner) and it drew that low is surprising. The original ECW did better numbers than half of these.

Yeah, Lance Storm talked about that in one of his rants, the worst-drawing WWE PPV ever did better than the best-drawing TNA PPV.

Personally, I think TNA is not well equipped to run a big show every month. They've only got two hours of TV per week to do it. WWE had five hours of television per week, and still couldn't support 16 paid shows per year. With TNA, I've completely forgotten about some of their shows, since they often tend to look alike and run together in memory. With a few of those shows, I can't remember a single thing that happened on them. I mean, c'mon, they had Angle vs. Joe four times on PPV within, what, six months?

To think ROH and TNA pretty much started at the same time, and in the 5 years, self hype and shouting till people can't take it anymore not included, it would seem ROH are the most successful out of the two. They make money, they've made a name for themselves across the wrestling world, are probably the most prestiges of the two companies. If ROH had a 'national' TV deal and regular monthly PPVs ala TNA, would ROH be the #2 company in North America?

ROH have created their own stars, have forged a name and reputation for themselves, just the company but the titles they hold within the promotion. They've even set up a sister promotion and a wrestling school.

TNA are regarded as a second rate washed up WCW/WWF wannabe promotion, they've created very little - if any stars. In truth, do you mark out for AJ and Joe for the work they've done in TNA, or from what you saw and remember them doing in ROH?

TNA doesn't seem much more then an over glamorous regional wrestling promotion at times, at the most it looks like 1994 WCW, with it being stuck in the 'iMPACT Zone' every week and almost every PPV. However, this is the only thing that TNA seems to have over ROH at the moment - production values.

ROH often annoys me with its unmixed sound, crowds droning over Mics when wrestlers are cutting in ring promos annoy the hell out of me. However, if you were to put ROH on a similar stage as TNA, I'm sure they'd even do that in more professional way.

You'd think TNA would feel a little ashamed that ROH have been able to form by themselves, without having to shout and fight with TV companies, without having to leech money from a huge power company to offset the loses.

And I'm not even a huge ROH mark - seen about 3 full shows and a handful of matches.

I think ROH has done more with the little they had over the five or six years. But TNA has more going for it only in terms of two hours of national tv, monthly ppvs, pretty big checkbook, production values, and if you want to count the big names. I do think that the big names they have are pretty good for the most part. I like Angle, Cage, Sting, Rhino, Raven, and even some of Team 3d's work(LAX Feud). Not to mention I think Nash and Steiner have looked pretty good compared to their last WWE runs.

To be honest thought other than the audio issues you pointed out, I kind of like ROH's gritty look. It reminds me of the old school wrestling. If ROH could ever secure a TV deal, and a financial backer with a nice sized checkbook I think they could have the opportunity to steamroll over TNA.

I think ROH has succeded b/c it's found a niche audience that is very loyal. They set out to be the elite Indy and they did. They wouldn't have succeded if they tried to be the #2 company and have TV and live PPVs.

Don't know if this has been posted but apparently 4,300 people attended a TNA house show this weekend in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada- breaking TNA's all time attendance record.

Take it for what it's worth (Not much, I assume)

3rd or 4th PPV show, he had a 'boxing' match with Tiny the Timekeeper.

And that incident was inducted into WrestleCrap.

And this doesn't directly have to do to TNA but has WrestleCrap gotten less funny or was it not that funny to begin with and I only liked it because I was a 14 year old new smark? I ask myself this question often.

3rd or 4th PPV show, he had a 'boxing' match with Tiny the Timekeeper.

And that incident was inducted into WrestleCrap.

And this doesn't directly have to do to TNA but has WrestleCrap gotten less funny or was it not that funny to begin with and I only liked it because I was a 14 year old new smark? I ask myself this question often.

It's funny, I've thought that myself recently. I used to think it was the greatest thing ever, now I occasionally skim it. Glad to know I am not the only one.

Also, in regards to Screech, they show tiny clips of his appearance on the TNA Year One DVD (which I don't know if anyone else said it here, but was kind of a disappointment).

I picked up the year one DVD. The main feature was somewhat interesting, but they spent way too much time on how TNA came together rather than review actual storylines/feuds of the first year. I did love that Cheex was an integral part of the feature though.

if anyone caught Impact tonight seriously what the frick I get that the gauntlets were to determine rankings for 2008, but I just know TNA wont stick with it and whats the point of Christian winning the Heavyweight gauntlet if he wins Sunday, or does this mean he uses it to get his rematch at the February PPV, and Kaz is getting the Chris Harris treatment getting a good push then dropping down the card to feud with Black Reign, and we know what happened with Harris after his feud with Black Reign

I like TNA (or at least try to) but some of the things they do just makes me want to take my head and slam it into the nearest brick wall

Guest LuckyLopez

I definitely would have liked for TNA to explain to us how these rankings work. The title shots Christian, Kong, and Nash/Joe are getting on Sunday don't strike me as confusing as the brief cases do. I presume that the rankings just fall into like after Sunday. If Kong loses she falls back to 4th. If Christian loses he remains #1 contender. But how does that fly with Petey holding a World Title shot? Is Petey technically the #1 Contender or is that basically just a Money in the Bank type shot that he can pull out whenever he wants, and otherwise the rankings go on until he moves to get his shot?

That's my best guess but I would have liked TNA to explain it. But I'm not going to worry about it too much until after Final Resolution. The show kind of felt like the sort of show you hold AFTER a PPV in regard to the rankings. And I'm not going to fret too much that Rellik is apparently the 5th Contender to the World Heavyweight Title while Kaz is something like 8 and AMW are 13 and 14. I doubt this idea lives nearly long enough for that to matter. I mean, Senshi is apparently the #2 Contender for the X Title and he's supposedly gone. So until they actually put up a rankings page on the website and refer to it as a real thing I'll just presume its the winners that matter and maybe certain stories like Abyss sacrificing himself to get Judas or Christian screwing Joe after Nash sacrificed himself to get Joe the #1 spot. Or the possibly interesting developments that MCMG are the #1 Contenders for the Tag Belts and that Petey is the #1 Contender for the X belt while he holds a World Title shot.

But its TNA so I'll wait to see how things play out and not try and read too much into this stuff.

Anyway, the Tokyo Dome show, Angle easily had the best match of the night with Yuji Nagata. Angle retained his title, then confronted the new champion after the main event. Yeah

Really? I was hoping Tanahashi/Nakamura was going to be awesome. Then again, Angle is very competent and Nagata is godly so it should be no surprise. I guess the unification of the IWGP titles is going to happen now with Nakamura. I can't imagine Angle would be the one to unify them......god I hope not. Either way, another Japan trips for Kurt.

On another note, why hasn't TNA brought in Giant Bernard yet? He and Tomko are the v5 IWGP tag champs and a pretty imposing tag team. Perhaps it's something they will do in this new Tomko is alone angle. As long as they don't bring him as another Mitchell flunkie to fall on broken glass or whatever. If WWE was smart, they'd go for him again. He has a unique look, is very big, and has turned into a solid enough wrestler.

Oh, it was, I just prefered Angle/Nagata, mostly for the great ending sequence when they kept reversing each other's holds. For some reason a lot of people left after that match...

Not every match was great, though. Abyss had a very mini brawl, with a mini thumbtack spot in which he basically just slammed his hand on them. Then he lost to a back suplex. Also, Bubba tried to ham it up by yelling random crap in Japanese, which the crowd actually did like.

If WWE signed Giant Bernard again it's just a matter of time before he's just the A-Train again and nobody would care. So why bother? Let the guy make his money in Japan.

I too don't get these rankings in TNA. Considering that a variety of guys won the briefcases doesn't that already give TNA de facto #1 contenders in all the divisions? I think they should wait until that plays out before determining new contenders and rankings.

Bernard is a "solid enough" worker because he is given more freedom to do what he wants in Japan. In WWE he would just go back to being the same type wrestler he was as A-Train.

Oh I agree, it's obvious the WWE didn't know what to do with him. I don't get it b/c he was big, dominating, and fairly agile for his size. They love the big man, they could do plenty but.....we got A-Train instead. I don't have any faith that TNA would do him any better to be honest. I'm glad he's getting success in New Japan though, I always thought he was solid and stood out from the generic big men.