TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HandofFate

Bound For Glory OaO thread

Guest *KNK*
Yeah, JJ can use Gail Kim to lure a broken-hearted Raven over to his side.  Rhyno can bring in the chick who broke his heart.  It works well.  Very ECWish.  Is Heyman booking for them now??

Heyman is still in OVW and kicking ass there as well. You are right, Raven has the chops to pull that angle off.

As screwed up as a couple things were... it builds perfectly to the primetime special. Ultimate X rematch... Jarrett/Rhino rematch.

I'm interested to see where this goes and if they bounce the title back to Jarrett or not.

The other big story is the crowd was dying for Samoa Joe to win the gauntlet and kick the crap out of Jarrett. If they build it up slowly enough the guy could be money. I was surprised at how well he stood up to Abyss and how he didn't look small. I was also surprised that everyone in the match took his offense fine except for Kip James who he obviously took it easy on.

Good idea to use your biggest PPV ever to build to a free show.

...sorry, but TNA shouldn't have advertised BFG as its MOST IMPORTANT SHOW TO DATE if they didn't plan on making everything deliver in spades. Yes, I know that Nash having to pull out at the last minute wasn't planned in the least, but still: always have a contingency plan. Even if the contingency plan was rushing right into Raven/Jarrett III, or having Joe go over Jarrett, or having, say, Truth fight Jarrett and succumb to near-insurmountable odds (Team Canada, AMW, Gail Kim, Abyss, Father James Mitchell, guitar shots), it'd be better than having a lower-midcarder like Rhino go over Jarrett, because now it makes everybody that's lost to Jarrett when the match with JJ was their only match on the show, not their THIRD, look like crap.

Quick thought on the Rhino title win, which I didnt see coming at all and thats a good thing........

Building the main event scene around long term two decent programs in Raven/Jarrett (is Gail Kim the chick in question?) for the next main contender to the title after Monte Brown and possibly Rhino/Brown for the NWA title (then from there, building around a Raven/Brown feud for the title)sounds like a solid plan of action potentially TNA should think of here considering how they booked things tonite. Rhino was booked so strong they can't just give the belt back to Jarrett at the Spike special or even the next ppv and I hope they realize that.

Anyway you slice it, just the fact that Jarrett jobbed out the belt tonite is a good thing. And Jeff Hardy is fucking nuts, I havent seen a dive like that in quite some time.

"Rhino was booked so strong they can't just give the belt back to Jarrett at the Spike special or even the next ppv and I hope they realize that. "

They don't.

What kills me here is that both Joe and Monty would have been better choices...but it was too early for them to win it.

Rhino is just there to transition back to Jarrett ASAP so they can go back to the Monty Brown plan down the line.

As for Joe...he can't lose a match until he's losing the X title that he'll be winning sooner than later. Which on one hand sucks since he could have gotten the monster push Rhino did...but on the other hand is best for him and everyone else since Joe/Styles is going to be counted on for a (probably the next) buyrate.

The fall-out from this show is going to be so important. It set so much up that one would have to wonder if it would be better suited for the TV special because the audience would have been greater. Like, this would have been a _awesome_ RAW that everyone would be talking about and wanting to see what happens next. Is the next Impact a show that was taped last week? I hope not.

With a short period of time before their November show, it will be interesting to see what they do in the next few weeks.

My issue with Rhino winning isn't that he's not credible. I mean I can totally believe he could kick Jeff Jarrett's ass, but the problem I had with it is that he's not remotely the guy for that sort of plucky underdog role. The guy during his career has been a vicious heel bastard 90% of the time and on this show alone was shown tormenting Raven (who had already gained sympathy as a guy being screwed over by the system and denied title shots).

Someone else made the comment that I agree with about the crowd. I think they are almost too smarkish for their own good. Christ, I don't even recall in ECW the crowd doing dueling chants during almost EVERY match. Can't they come to a consensus on who to cheer and who to boo? It doesn't help that most of the roster doesn't especially play either a heel or face during a match. There are far too many guys who are just faceless white boy cruiserweights; bland, no persona, no mic work. I enjoy stuff like that opening 4 way but none of the guys in it work a heel or face style so it's really just an exercise in seeing who can do cool stuff. No real vested interest in who actually wins or loses.

It's funny that this promotion is hell bent on moving away from the old style Memphis/Jerry Jarrett booking, yet what they actually need is a bit more of it. AMW tonight impressed me even though it wasn't one of their better matches. They at least showed an aptitude for cheating like mofos, and at least worked a discernable heel style that differed from their previous face work.

Even ECW fans at a core level knew there were certain guys you were supposed to cheer, and certain guys you were supposed to hate. The NWA TNA wrestlers ALL seem to want to be accepted and cheered.

I think what some people are forgetting is that there was a larger then normal amount of people that have watching their FIRST TNA PPV, so for all of them it wasn't simply "business as usual" or "nothing new here folks" You have to get over the fact that TNA isn't going to be your little wrestling fed anymore, and the best way to get a broader and bigger audience is to showcase some of your better attractions. Was some of it repetative for those who have watched TNA from the beginning? Sure.....but tonight was about the new fans, or at least newER fans.

Oh...and I'm sure most people had a problem with Joe/Liger and the shortness of it...

I'm not one of those people.

The problem that I have is that they didn't make a BIG DEAL out of Joe choking him out so fast.

After his dance enterance and all those streamers...seeing Joe kill Liger fast was just what I would have done...

But I would have used it to put over just how unstoppable Joe is.

They didn't.

And then they had Joe get beat on during the Gauntlet. He should have been _killing_ everyone in there leading up to the face-off with Abyss.

"I don't think Joe is the monster in TNA that we want him to be" - Me to LOTC.

So will Hardy and Brown, and Joe and AJ feud do to how they were eliminated during the gauntlet?

Will AJ/Williams take place on the upcoming two hour special more than likely? Then right after that, at the PPV, AJ/Joe?

One thing I really like about TNA so far, is that they have any number of guys who I could see taking on the champ at any given time, unlike in WWE.

I forgot about Williams' title shot.

That probably will be next month.

The thing that I like about TNA is that they've got these two forces of nature in Joe and Monty and they're slowly pushing them towards their spot.

When this promotion started...they just didn't do that.

Going to WWE...when Cena first started out with the rapper style, did anyone ever think he'd become WWE Champion shortly afterwards?

When Batista first came in as a Decon...then later was the "Monster who Jobbed" in Evolution (if you look back, during the Evolution times, he did a lot more jobs than he should have in that role)...did we think he'd become World Champion?

Yeah, Rhino has the ex-WWE stigma to an extent...but if built up right, he could easily be made to look main event.

You're forgetting that both of those guys took over TWO YEARS to become champions in the WWE.

Hardy feuding with Brown is one of the most unbelievable things the company could do.

But...from a new audience perspective (and since their are more people watching the show now than were on FSN...or good lord the weekly ppvs) having Brown beat Hardy is pretty much the best way to establish him atop the pecking order.

To marks, it is. But we know that Hardy's a scrawny piece of shit and that it makes zero sense for Hardy to get ANY offense against Brown.

Going to WWE...when Cena first started out with the rapper style, did anyone ever think he'd become WWE Champion shortly afterwards?

When Batista first came in as a Decon...then later was the "Monster who Jobbed" in Evolution (if you look back, during the Evolution times, he did a lot more jobs than he should have in that role)...did we think he'd become World Champion?

Yeah, Rhino has the ex-WWE stigma to an extent...but if built up right, he could easily be made to look main event.

You're forgetting that both of those guys took over TWO YEARS to become champions in the WWE.

They also came in as completely unknown rookies and had to be built completely from the ground up in order to gain legitimacy and a fanbase, which Rhino already has, even if he had to wash off some of those bad WWE vibes first.

Oh...I'd be all for a squashing.

In fact...they should main event an Impact with that...and then have him get pounced and pinned...

And then run an unscheduled X division match with the time left that they need to fill.

Hardy adds nothing for me unless he trying to kill himself...like he did tonight.

I'd want to see Hardy beaten to a bloody pulp, just fucking massacred. We wouldn't be talking about any of these possible feuds if it weren't for the Nash injury.

I think Nash would have disapeared again quickly. There's nothing really for him to do except pass the torch to Hoyt.

...and I don't want to see that.

I'd guess the plan is to just fill months with Jarrett/Raven/Rhino crap until they feel it's time to pull the trigger on Monty.

Monty will use those months to squash your Hardy's, Sabu's and Abyss's. Well...I guess you can't squash Abyss.

I figure Monty has to beat a bunch of guys before they feel he's at the level they want.

On the other side...Joe will win his next X title opportunity and then keep beating people until they figure out who they want him to give his unbeaten rub to.

I don't know how I would've closed out the show, but it sure wasn't the way that it actually went down.

I don't have a problem with Rhyno; in fact, I actually enjoy the guy. It's just that he only has so much marketability in him. The potential for Rhyno has already been tapped, so you can see his ceiling. Can he talk? No. Can the fans get behind him? No. If he's built as a heel champion, will the crowd boo him? No. Does he have the charisma to get over as a face? No. Will people pay to see him defend the title? No.

He's just going to be the 'lukewarm response' champion. The belt should go back to Jarrett as soon as possible, although I don't know how Jarrett gets his 'credibility' back without pinning Rhyno crisp and clean. I'm just disappointed in the options that TNA didn't go with. Jarrett would've benefitted from a match with anyone from Raven, to Monty, to AJ, to Truth, to Abyss, maybe even Joe, but they went with someone that didn't belong in the picture at all.

I don't have a problem with Rhyno; in fact, I actually enjoy the guy. It's just that he only has so much marketability in him. The potential for Rhyno has already been tapped, so you can see his ceiling. Can he talk? No. Can the fans get behind him? No. If he's built as a heel champion, will the crowd boo him? No. Does he have the charisma to get over as a face? No. Will people pay to see him defend the title? No.

A manager can solve all of those problems....is'nt the Sinister Minisiter the official manager of monsters?

The title is irrelevant. In this case, it is merely a prop device.

I know, it's crazy to say. Especially coming from me because of the way I look at the WWE. But TNA isn't the WWE. What applies to the WWE doesn't necessarily apply to TNA. The WWE has their title established, the legacy is there. In TNA, the title -at least to the newer audience- holds much less volume. Especially since JJ was the holder. For TNA, the belt doesn't make the wrestler, it's not as important. Storylines are. Matches are. And how they are using the title to further storylines and matches by putting the title on Rhyno is going to help the belt by osmosis.

Rhyno isn't going to be the star of the show as a result of this, he's just going to be a player on one team going up against players on another team. Which team has the gold is what's important, not which individual wrestler. Getting the title over with the audience is difficult, however getting over what the title means -in this case power- is a little bit easier.

For me, pretty much a brand new TNA viewer, their title already means more to me than either one of WWE's world titles. Just by watching the Spike TV Impact shows, and this PPV tonight, they just made it look like their world title means a hell of a lot to a lot of different people.

I just don't feel it with Cena or Batista right now. That's one of the biggest problems of WWE right now if you ask me.

WWE thinks viewers are too dumb to care about more than one character at a time.

TNA's always been pretty good at getting accross that the title is the end game for everyone in the company.

It's one of the first things they did right...even if it was weird to see a guy named Monty Brown that no one had ever heard of calling out Ken Shamrock way back in week...like 2.

For me, pretty much a brand new TNA viewer, their title already means more to me than either one of WWE's world titles. Just by watching the Spike TV Impact shows, and this PPV tonight, they just made it look like their world title means a hell of a lot to a lot of different people.

I just don't feel it with Cena or Batista right now. That's one of the biggest problems of WWE right now if you ask me.

Agreed, watching those guys come down to the ring beaten and battered for their shot at the title on the same night in the very next match shows how much that belt means.

And that's what I'm talking about when I say it gains meaning by osmosis. You have, like, 20 guys involved in this whole deal fighting for both the tag and world titles. It doesn't really matter who is *holding* it, it's about who *wants* it, and how far these people are willing to go to get it (and keep it). How compelling the storylines and matches are will dictate the interest level of the fans, so that when they see all these guys fighting for the same issue (in this case power, ie: the title), then they end up caring about that issue.

From here, there's so many ways that this can go that its damn confusing. I'd much rather they kept the fueds more separate instead of having EVERY-FUCKING-BODY brawl together at the end of EVERY-FUCKING-SHOW. Anyway, I think they did well with BFG, although it says a lot about TNA's long-term planning if they'll throw the title around on a whim like this. Here's what I'd like to see in the future:

I'm hoping we'll see a Jarrett/AMW vs. Rhino/Dudleyz fued. I have no problem with Rhino as champ, as I think he's great. But he came out of nowhere and alligning him with the Dudz can help him mix with the ME'ers. Raven should be stuck between the two factions as a lone wolf. He works best alone, plus he'll probably debut a valet soon. Monty and Abyss should be working towards title shots as well, keeping whoever isn't challenging Rhino busy. Monty especially needs building up, and play up his paranoia towards JJ. That, to me, is a great title scene.

Then you have Team Canada vs. 3LK, which just distracts them all until the NAO reform. I'm guessing it'll be Konnan and Truth that turn heel on BG and Kip now, maybe leading to a 3-way tag fued. But if 3LK/Kip run out for a brawl, it should only be to get at Team Canada. I'm tired of them being the first faces on the scene.

I think Hardy and Sabu should have a respect fued over who is more psychotic. No, seriously. They can tag together one minute, then fight the next, almost like Sabu/RVD was.

Joe needs to win the X Title soon. Fucking seriously. That was my first time seeing him, and damn, that guy's gonna carry TNA. I think Jerry Lynn should be his next opponent, then he should go after Styles to win the belt. Daniels and Styles need to separate, so I suggest a Daniels/Lynn fued, and Styles should start having matches with Sabin, Bentley, and Williams to help move them up the ladder (maybe even team with somebody).

Let me say one more thing before I go to bed, something I know I've already said a few times tonight.

One of my favorite things about TNA so far, is that they give you the feel that just about anyone could win the title at any given time. I don't even half way know what the hell is going on, but from what I have seen there are quite a few guys who are serious contenders to the world title.

You don't get that feeling in WWE. At any given time you will have the world champ, and usually just one guy who you could seriously look at as any sort of threat, and at times maybe two or three, but that's not very often.

Having them let everyone know that Raven was the champ, and JJ beat him for it, and then having Rhyno win the title tonight...it just says a hell of a lot, not to mention them showing Monty and Raven all showing their desire to get the strap. Even with guys like The Truth, Abyss, or hell even Jeff Hardy and Sabu, it wouldn't surprise me for any of these guys to win the title.

My point, is that I like their world title scene, where it's not just dominated by the same two or three guys just all the time.