TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EdwardKnoxII

Segments that made you go WTF??

Guest Duke_The_Dog

Wrestlemania 2 had a obese man dressed as a Hayseed wrestle aganist a fat man dressed as a woman. Outstanding, and proof of how my childhood corrupted me.

Looks like the link I provided goes to the main page of that website now, but anyone who's seen the promo knows what I'm talking about. If you haven't here's a transcript:

(Luger comes out of a room looking upset. A fat little man who looks like Oliver Humperdink's cousin walks up)

Interviewer: Mr. Luger, Mr. Luger I saw what just happened out there with Ron Killings. I just want to ask you...I mean...what are your plans for the next show Superbrawl Saturday. Are you gonna take care of Ron Killings?

Luger: What kind of disgusting dispic...dispicable *sighs* lack of respect does that Billy Whats-his-name show booking a match for the Total Package Lex Luger on Superbrawl.........Super Saturday.....WHAT IS IT, I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT IT'S CALLED!!!!

Interviewer: Superbrawl Saturday.

Luger: Superbrawl Saturday!? Can he afford to pay me to wrestle Ron? I DON'T KNOOOOOOOOOW!!!!!! I'm one of the biggest legends and stars in this....GOD!!! (At this point Luger gets mad at his t-shirt and pulls it off over his head) AND YOUR T-SHIRTS ARE TOO TIGHT TOO BILLY!!!! AND YOU BOOK A MATCH WITH ME AGAINST RON KILLINGS!? LOOK AT ME! I'M A TOTAL PACKAGE. I'LL RIP HIM APART. I'M PISSED NOW!!

(Luger walks off as the interviewer looks totally baffled.)

Interviewer: I don't think I....(in the background Luger fiddles with the door and yells "AND THE DOOR'S LOCKED TOO!")

(The interviewer burst into laughter.)

---------

Really it's even funnier with Luger's facial expressions.

idontknow3tc.jpg

See.

I remember that.  What was the point of that?  To show that smoking is bad by having The Giant smoke on his way to the ring?

I remember Sting like said something about him being unhealthy and told him he needed to quit smoking.

The night after No Mercy 99, the Hardys and E&C were in the ring to put over the ladder match from the PPV, when suddenly Gangrel comes out with Terri Runnels and says something like, "I'm the only one of us who scored last night." Then both teams just beat the hell outta him and Terri ends up leaving with them. I don't think the connection between Terri and Gangrel was ever touched on again.

Just an odd, odd segment.

-Austin "pissing" on Arn Anderson with the worst fake piss I've ever seen.

You must have missed the time William Regal peed on The Big Show. It was green, for god sake.

Another WTF angle/segment was in WCW (surprise) when The Giant just started smoking for no reason.

So Heenan could crack "It's gonna stunt his growth!" jokes.

I also think it was some sort of jab at The Giant, as he was out of shape and since he was/is a smoker, they blamed his lack of cardio on the smoking.

The night after No Mercy 99, the Hardys and E&C were in the ring to put over the ladder match from the PPV, when suddenly Gangrel comes out with Terri Runnels and says something like, "I'm the only one of us who scored last night."  Then both teams just beat the hell outta him and Terri ends up leaving with them.  I don't think the connection between Terri and Gangrel was ever touched on again.

Just an odd, odd segment.

Another E&C v Hardys wtf moment. Back when E&C and the hardys were "battling" for the services of Terri, before the match to decide who "gets" her, the announcers didn't bother to say anything about the stip before Terri came to the ring, and when she did (during E, C and Gangrel's entrance antics), the three just looked confused and annoyed. I guess somebody missed that memo.

Hey La Parka marks, I got trivia for you.

My WTF segment was this. Liger was granted a rematch for the IWGP Jr. Title during one of Russo's Nitros. But Juventud was injured. Russo told La Parka and Psychosis, "first one out of the office can defend the title". Psychosis escaped. But after Psychosis lost the title back to Liger, La Parka chaired him.

TRIVIA: Russo hired La Parka into his "Powers That Be" stable. What SPECIFIC instructions were given to La Parka, that explained what his job was?

Guest Edgehead

When Vince would clicked his hands together, La Parka had to hit the guy talking to Russo with a chair.

Only those in Vince's innercircle knew anything about Bischoff signing and they had him waiting right outside the arena in a limo then when Booker T was having his interview in walks Bischoff.  Of course, Booker T knew nothing about this and that made his shocked face all the more funny and real.

Booker knew Eric was going to show up. He had to know to ensure the right reaction.

Exactly because Booker's inital reaction wouldn't fly with the censors. Also, dont miss on the intentional irony of Booker T being the first to "see" Eric.

I never watched WCW... what irony? Sounds interesting.

In fairness though much of WCW in 1999 was god awful bad...during the Nash era most of the midcard guys were ignored or just jobbed out. It was only during the Russo "Powers That Be" angle that everyone was doing SOMETHING, even if it was stupid.

That's the one quality of Russo I enjoyed. No matter how low on the card, everyone had a distinctable role and at least had an opportunity to get over w/ the crowd. To a degree, it evened up the playing field.

That is the one area I'll give Russo some credit for in WCW. Some of the characters were stupid, and most of the storylines and booking didn't make any sense, but at least every wrestler had a character or storyline going. Everyone from Hogan, to Jarrett, to Misterio, to La Parka, had some kind of angle going. That is something WWE really needs to improve on, and have needed to do so for the last three years.

giving everyone something to do is what Russo really excelled at, especially in WCW but even in his WWF tenure. I mean, he got us to care about D'lo Brown for God's sake. And i think he also came up with Hardcore "Superheavyweight Big Shot" Holly, which is the best thing Bob's ever been apart of.

-Cheex

I don't think it takes away from the focus of anyone. Unless all the fans have ADD. It's good to have something for all your roster so that they aren't sitting around doing nothing, plus it makes for a lot better undercard.

If you're giving every segment something that you want the people to remember, there is no way that the people are going to remember everything. Even if it's just putting on a good match between two random wrestlers, you need something that can give people a rest, or you will burn them out.

Looks like the link I provided goes to the main page of that website now, but anyone who's seen the promo knows what I'm talking about.  If you haven't here's a transcript:

(Luger comes out of a room looking upset.  A fat little man who looks like Oliver Humperdink's cousin walks up)

Interviewer: Mr. Luger, Mr. Luger I saw what just happened out there with Ron Killings.  I just want to ask you...I mean...what are your plans for the next show Superbrawl Saturday.  Are you gonna take care of Ron Killings?

Luger: What kind of disgusting dispic...dispicable *sighs* lack of respect does that Billy Whats-his-name show booking a match for the Total Package Lex Luger on Superbrawl.........Super Saturday.....WHAT IS IT, I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT IT'S CALLED!!!!

Interviewer: Superbrawl Saturday.

Luger: Superbrawl Saturday!?  Can he afford to pay me to wrestle Ron?  I DON'T KNOOOOOOOOOW!!!!!!  I'm one of the biggest legends and stars in this....GOD!!! (At this point Luger gets mad at his t-shirt and pulls it off over his head) AND YOUR T-SHIRTS ARE TOO TIGHT TOO BILLY!!!!  AND YOU BOOK A MATCH WITH ME AGAINST RON KILLINGS!? LOOK AT ME! I'M A TOTAL PACKAGE.  I'LL RIP HIM APART.  I'M PISSED NOW!!

(Luger walks off as the interviewer looks totally baffled.)

Interviewer: I don't think I....(in the background Luger fiddles with the door and yells "AND THE DOOR'S LOCKED TOO!")

(The interviewer burst into laughter.)

---------

Really it's even funnier with Luger's facial expressions.

idontknow3tc.jpg

See.

This link should work if anyone else wants to see the video. I highly recommend that you watch it.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=85...876&q=lex+luger

Guest The Mandingo Warrior

I am surprised no one mentioned the infamous Vader-Hogan strap match from Uncensored 95 (if I recall). This is the one where Hogan drags RIC FLAIR around to all four corners and wins the match that way.

The explanation given by the announcers?

IT'S UNCENSORED!!

WTF??

I disagree about it burning out an audience having everyone with a storyline. When I think of 1998 I think mainly about the central guys like Austin, Vince, Rock, Foley, DX, etc. But even stuff like Sable and Marc Mero was an interesting angle that gave them something to do.

If you're giving every segment something that you want the people to remember, there is no way that the people are going to remember everything. Even if it's just putting on a good match between two random wrestlers, you need something that can give people a rest, or you will burn them out.

I want to remember that a show was entertaining from top to bottom not that it had a few decent moments.

Anybody remember the Nitro where they had Shawn Stasiak on a basketball court shooting freethrows and they kept checking in on him throughout the show? I think he was going for a Perfect rip-off, or something.

Guest The Z Man Tom Zenk
Hogan beating Sting clean at Starrcade and then the match being restarted due to "fast" counting. It made all the babyfaces look delusional afterwards.

That's one of the more underrated dickhead, bullshit, double crosses of all time. How Hogan didn't receive more heat over that (if the accusations are true) is beyond me.

accusations? did he sabotage the match?

Hogan beating Sting clean at Starrcade and then the match being restarted due to "fast" counting. It made all the babyfaces look delusional afterwards.

That's one of the more underrated dickhead, bullshit, double crosses of all time. How Hogan didn't receive more heat over that (if the accusations are true) is beyond me.

did he sabotage the match?

Yes.

Guest The Z Man Tom Zenk

Yes.

...meaning like did he pay off nick patrick? ive heard about the whole thing, but i never heard that hogan tried to sabotage the match.

Yes.

...meaning like did he pay off nick patrick? ive heard about the whole thing, but i never heard that hogan tried to sabotage the match.

Meaning he convinced Patrick to make a regular count, instead of the fast count he was supposed to make. Everyone knew what happened but nobody was going to say anything because it was Hogan who did it. Sting didn't want to believe it for a long time, but eventually he accepted it, albeit reluctantly.

If you buy the PPV on home video, they actually speed up the count so it looks like it was fast.