TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

TO: Eagles would be 7-0 with Favre as QB

Source

Eagles suspend T.O. indefinitely for comments

The Philadelphia Eagles on Saturday suspended Terrell Owens for an indefinite period for conduct detrimental to the team, a catch-all sanction that club officials decided to impose after deliberating much of Friday over how to address the latest flap with the loquacious wide receiver.

Owens will miss the Eagles' key Sunday night game against the Washington Redskins and it is uncertain when, or if, he will return to the team. Under terms of the league's collective bargaining agreement, a player can be suspended for a maximum of four contests for conduct detrimental to the team.

The suspension will cost Owens $205,882 for every game he misses, based on his salary of $3.5 million for this season.

It is not certain if Owens, who was suspended for a week in training camp, will appeal the latest sanction by Eagles officials. Agent Drew Rosenhaus did not immediately return messages on Saturday afternoon.

Rookie Reggie Brown, a second-round draft choice, is expected to replace Owens in the starting lineup.

Critical of quarterback Donovan McNabb and the Eagles' organization during a Thursday appearance on ESPN, Owens issued a private apology to teammates on Friday, followed by a public apology in which he read a terse statement. One team source said Saturday, though, that Owens' apologies failed to fully comply with all of the conditions that club officials, including coach Andy Reid, had stipulated.

Even after the apology, team officials told ESPN.com on Friday afternoon and reiterated later in the evening that the situation with Owens was still under review, and hinted that a suspension remained a possibility. Said one team official at the time: "All options remain on the table."

The suspension culminated another week of unrest with Owens. Early in the week, he apprised Philadelphia officials that he had sprained his ankle in last Sunday's loss to the Denver Broncos, and might require some time off. One day later, he was back at practice and seemingly prepared to play against the Redskins on Sunday night, at least before the latest incendiary incident.

In seven games this season, Owens has 47 catches for 763 yards and six touchdowns.

Yeah, they need him, probably more than they'd like to admit. I can see this going two games, but after the inevitable lack of production, he'll apologize and they'll bring him back.

Sad thing is, if they RAN THE BALL this would be a non-issue.

If the reports are true, he read an apology off of a cue card and omitted part about McNabb. He'll likely have to make a "sincere" apology (or at least one appearing so) before he gets back in Reid's good graces.

If rookie Reggie Brown ends up with an explosive game for the Eagles that ends with him having a pair of touchdowns for 145 yards then MAYBE Owens is done. Course Brown would have to do it every game that Owens is gone.

He'll be back though. He's not going to be Keyshawned.

Guest Vitamin X

And silly me, I just cut Greg Lewis from my fantasy team.

*scrambles to get him back from the waiver wire*

There is no bigger dickhead in Pro sports then this asshole. The only guy who rivals him ias Ron Artest. They should go skydiving together....in the middle of a tornado.

Okay, but the guy has massive talent and a great on-field work ethic. Why bench him at a critical point in the season? I can see one game, to send a message, but the Eagles are fools to keep him off longer than that. Benchimg him won't make him go away -- you can't keep him away from the media. The Eagles would be wiser to get what they can from him and then trade him in the offseason.

If this behaviour affected the way he played on the field it would make more sense. As it is, I think the Eagles just have to suck it up for awhile. Maybe McNabb should go on TV and bitch about him if he's worried about losing support of the team, but that's about it. Philly still has a shot at the playoffs, so I can't see this being a good move for them.

If this behaviour affected the way he played on the field it would make more sense.  As it is, I think the Eagles just have to suck it up for awhile.  Maybe McNabb should go on TV and bitch about him if he's worried about losing support of the team, but that's about it.  Philly still has a shot at the playoffs, so I can't see this being a good move for them.

McNabb does need to tell people how he really feels about Owens. The move wasn't made because Reid thought the Eagles would be better off. This is why I like the move.

Teams WILL be afraid to touch him, though. Unless you're hard up for receivers and already in the shitter in terms of team morale, it's a tough decision.

You might be able to get one season were T.O. isn't a pain in the ass.

Atlanta will be everyone's pick but if Vick can't get him the ball, he's gonna be a real pain in the ass.

You might be able to get one season were T.O. isn't a pain in the ass.

Atlanta will be everyone's pick but if Vick can't get him the ball, he's gonna be a real pain in the ass.

I think Terrell Owens could make Michael Vick look like a halfway decent passer. ESPN always says that Atlanta Falcons' wide receivers need to be able to "go up and get the ball", so T.O. would be perfect for them. I don't know how DeAngelo Hall and Terrell Owens will be able to stand each other with their two huge egos.

Teams WILL be afraid to touch him, though. Unless you're hard up for receivers and already in the shitter in terms of team morale, it's a tough decision.

Or the owners can all blacklist the asshole and he can be exiled to the Canadian Football/European NFL leagues for the rest of his career. That'll be the best way to deal with the fucker......

He might, I just don't think Vick is ever going to have a completion%.

I'm thinking Kansas City. Different environment than Philly. A good team in need of a number one receiver.

Guest Leelee

I still don't see the problem with TO...

He's an asshole. Everyone should know not to give a damn what he says.

Bottom line is that the guy always plays well.

I hope the Cards sign him, even though they already have 10 talented receivers.

They do?

Boldin's always hurt, and they have Fitzgerald

I just want to see Vermeil and TO crying at the press conference.

Vermeil because he's Vermeil, and TO telling us how he was misunderstood.

For what it's worth, he had been upgraded to probable and all signs pointed to him playing this week. And, coincidentally or not, TO has kind of a good track record playing with injury.

Guest Leelee

Why must ESPN go on forever about TO "apologizing"?

I like how the dopes there say TO has no sense of reality... yet, they're just baiting him in with the constant attention they give him.

Meh. Whatever. It's just annoying. Just tell me he's not playing. The end.