TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HollywoodSpikeJenkins

Ashes 2 Ashes Comments

Well, I shot through the matches that interest me, since I suppose I owe it to myself to get reqauainted for at least a little while, and I've got a couple commnets.

First up, I love the Wes Davenport storyline. It's showing off a completely different side of Muzz's writing ability that we've only seen in glimpses since Sacred was EEEEVIL. The match was appropriately short and pretty entertaining; I particularly enjoyed Matt Myers' delusional entrance and the wordplay in the writing. However, it still felt a little generic, and that what's been established about the character so far is going to have to be played around with (both subtly and to the extreme, just to see what works best) to get the most out of him in matches.

The Dust to Dust match was good, although the pacing was... strange. Janus still has it, and I think he should consider a comeback stint, but that's just me. I was supremely disappointed both in the lack of the living dead and the lack of weedwhackers, however. I know everyone who was reading wanted to see Father Ted jump out in front of some zombies shouting, "I kick ass for the LORD!"

The main event was tremendous. ELM probably writes the most convincing commentary I've read since Edwin; his Suicide King is simply marvelous. Practically every line written for him is beautiful, I'd recommend reading the match just for that alone. I will say, however, that even after taking a year off from seriously doing anything in the SWF, I'm disappointed to see that pedestrian limb psychology still rules the day. It's in like every second fucking match, it's ridiculous. I really want to see some big matches where the characters just play off of each other and there isn't some boring arm/neck/knee "injury" hanging over everything like a black cloud. Just the same, Magnifico is so much better than everyone else it isn't even funny. The truth hurts, deal with it. But it's like he's in full 2001 mode, writing matches so good they could almost lose to Thugg!

-Z

Edited by realitycheck

I'm disappointed to see that pedestrian limb psychology still rules the day. It's in like every second fucking match, it's ridiculous. I really want to see some big matches where the characters just play off of each other and there isn't some boring arm/neck/knee "injury" hanging over everything like a black cloud.

I've fallen into that before, where I figured every match should have that element, because I figured if it didn't, it would severely hurt the match in the markers eyes.

But it's like he's in full 2001 mode, writing matches so good they could almost lose to Thugg!

Grrrrrr.

Thanks for the rest, though. :)

Full comments in a little bit.

Just want to take a quick second to apologize for no-showing so many matches in a row, especially to JD for noshowing at A2A. I just lost the desire to write for this character, every time I sat down to write I just couldn't do it. I should have put something out, but what can ya do. Prolly won't be seeing me writing anytime soon (and i'm sureI pissed a lot of people off) but I'll definitely be keeping up with the SWF :)

Comments on A2A:

The first two matches I don't have much to say...it's hard to really analyze a 4-way as there's so much going on and they're obviously very difficult to even attempt to write properly, so I can only say a good job was done of keeping the reader aware of the whole ring.

The gimmick Dust to Dust match was excellent. Tremendous violence, I greatly enjoyed the emotional/dramatic style of writing used it really managed to bring out the tension and combative nature of the match. I was still pulling for Blank, but I would love to see a rematch or two ;)

WC/Cortez wrote a tremendous match. Felt like they put Ward over way more than he probably deserved, but it was nice. I kinda wish I was still gonna write as I really enjoyed writing my Ward v. Cortez matches. :)

JJ Johnson is one of my favorite wrestlers in the SWF, and his match with Stryke was imho the best match of the show. It had amazing psychology and told a story without having to be lengthy word wise. I was really into this match and several times really felt Johnson wasn't the winner at the end. Nice hot finish as well :)

No comments on the tag match. I just honestly don't enjoy TORU's writing style at all. No slight on him though, he's a cool dude :)

ELM is the man (I did like JJ's match a little more, but I have a soft spot for short matches that tell a great story) Another amazing defense, I just wish I'd had a chance to wrestle him so he could have made me look that good :)

Great show though, I think it was better than Genesis actually :)

Well, I somehow managed to unintentionally delete my detailed comments, so here, with great frustration, are my abridged thoughts.

Wes Davenport vs. Matt Myers

Yeah, so, I didn't know Muzz was Wes until Raynor said something about it in that thread I made it community. Anyway, the pre-match is terrifically entertaining, particularly Myers' thinking of how his entrance should have gone. Cool to see Wes slowly get into what he's doing; not just reacting instinictually, but also soaking in the response of the crowd. I'm really looking forward to see what Davenport's going to be doing from now on.

Four-Way Elimination Match

The eliminations were very well done, in particular the Flying Clothesline/Rollup Combo from Akira and Candace. Candace wins after squirming out of a Backslide from Akira, and ends up winning the match basically by outsmarting everyone else. Promising start for Candace in a good if short match.

Bruce Blank vs. Janus

Honestly, this is pretty much exactly what I expected; tons of (sometimes unrealistic) violence with a minimum of wrestling and an emphasis on the depiction of pain and suffering. Not that that's a bad thing. I must say, the church was used very well. I have a bit of a problem with Blank getting the shit beat out of him and still being Hardcore Champion (since it does at least a little damage to his Ultraviolent reputation), but that's a minor quibble. This match makes me wish Janus were still around.

Marcus Ward and Johnny Dangerous vs. Wildchild and Todd Cortez

Really fun back-and-forth match with a visible emphasis on double-teaming from both sides. There were a few terrific spots here, including the Military Press/Top Rope Diamond Cutter Combo from Ward and Dangerous. Inventive and beautifully described. The obligatory clusterfuck at the end flowed a lot better than I expected it to, though the ending did kinda come out of nowhere, as WC and Johnny might as well have been brawling on the outside the entire time while Ward and Cortez duked it out. Otherwise, a very good, very entertaining contest.

Stryke vs. JJ Johnson

Nice bit with Funyon being translated by a Japanese announcer. I considered doing that too, but then I remembered that I know like twenty words of Japanese. In any case, I thought this match might not have turned out very well, since both Stryke and JJJ seemed to have trouble writing. This match is kinda short, but like Ward said, told a very good story. Even I'm kinda pissed at JJJ eeking out a win despite Stryke beating from pillar-to-post during the rest of the contest. Again, this match could have been a lot more, but as it is, it's still really good.

Ladyhawke vs. TKO

Man, what the hell did TKO do the become Japan's most hated wrestlers? Yeesh. As expected, this match was a glorious spotfest, about as beautifully ridiculous as one would expect. There wasn't one big spot in particular that blew everything else out of the water (which was actually kinda refreshing) but rather, a non-stop array of violence from both sides. I was really surprised to see Blazenwing make an appearance; I don't think anyone's used him as more than a one-off character in long time.

Terrific show, but as far as I can tell, not a single promo. That's partially my fault too, but oh well. Shoulda thought about that beforehand.

I'll tell you exactly why ELM is going to hold that title for a long time.

That match with Spike...the match we all assumed ELM was going to win because, despite the angle Spike was running, it felt like he had no momentum whatsoever coming in...was one of the most dramatic pieces of writing I've ever seen. Better than his match with Danny Williams by far. I forgot for a minute that Spike's match, by his own admission, wasn't nearly long enough to be the one I was reading, and I actually thought the title was about to change hands. An early candidate for 2005-6 Match of the Year there.

I have a bit of a problem with Blank getting the shit beat out of him and still being Hardcore Champion (since it does at least a little damage to his Ultraviolent reputation), but that's a minor quibble.
Well we kinda took that stip off because it's a one match deal

Janus wins the title - then what? vacate it? give it back? so we decided to keep it out of the equation

and yeah it does damage - not just a little either, but that'll just have to be addressed

as for those wishing for a rematch - we had one in the "loser" thread, check it out, I'd love some feedback on what I consider my best and certainly most violent match ;)

I have to completely agree with Z on the limb/neck work. My fear is that if I don't include it and my opponent does, markers may count it against me...because, to be fair, you rarely get to hear what the markers are actually looking for.

--insert apparantly customary smilie here--

I used to write without psychology and got a verbal shitkicking from Dace, among others. Maybe I should try losing it sometime... I will have to read the show in more detail but it looks like as strong showing in general, I kinda feel bad for Spike but then again at least he's been in the main event now and can go back there, and ELM does really rather rule.

Whee! Tag Team Champions! I aplogise to CI about the finish, but as I put to Raynor, if TKO can't win like Rudos then they really don't deserve to win at all. And for ELM's edification, they became Japan's most hated wrestlers simply by beating everyone else for about three years by cheating and showing complete and utter disrespect to everyone.

Bring on the Cold Front Classic!

Nobody has commented on my losing match, though.
I hear you on that one Spike, I got the same problem *grumbles*

and Cold Front Classic eh? do tell, do tell

So is the Cold Front whatever Tournament definately happening again this year, or is this just speculation? All i know is i'm winning it if it does happen.

As for comments i'll try and comment on everything when i get a chance on the weekend, including the losing matches. I have to make up for doing jack-shit for the PPV anyway.

Sign in to follow this