TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cawthon777

Just Watched the Bret Hart DVD

Man watching Rockers-Harts again makes me wish the WWF was smart enough back then to do a triple threat tag match with them and Demos. Could of been real fun. Was that the original plan at Slam or something?

I mean the Rockers were sort of just..phased out.

Guest *KNK*
Has anyone else met Bret?

I met Bret on two seperate occasions. One was an autograph session and the second time was at the airport. I simply said hello to him and he nodded his head at me and we stood in line for coffee.

Not so glamorous. I had better meetings with Owen, Brian and Davey.

Got the set, watching the second disc now, and something you guys should know:

It's funny the things that happen when you have a rushed production deadline. At the end of the Bret Hart vs. Mr. Perfect SummerSlam 91 match, they forgot to edit the graphic that says "New WWF Intercontinental Champion" like they normally would with these releases. Oops!

Anyways, my recommendation, for those who want the DVD, is to get the set as soon as possible. This set will be off the shelves once the wrong people notice that botch.

Is there anyone that DOESN'T have the audio problem on the Bret/Austin match?

FWIW, I sent an email to WWE about this and here's their response:

We appreciate you writing in about this item. We will talk with our video team

about this. If you are unhappy with the product, we suggest you return it to the

place where you purchased it.

Because stores take open DVDs back. :huh:

Guest TootyFruity

It's funny the things that happen when you have a rushed production deadline. At the end of the Bret Hart vs. Mr. Perfect SummerSlam 91 match, they forgot to edit the graphic that says "New WWF Intercontinental Champion" like they normally would with these releases. Oops!

Anyways, my recommendation, for those who want the DVD, is to get the set as soon as possible. This set will be off the shelves once the wrong people notice that botch.

This whole set was ridiculously rushed. For more of the same, check out the intro's to the 9/29/94 match with Owen.

Guest TootyFruity
Because stores take open DVDs back.  :huh:

I hope they anounce a recall of this set soon and release it with the propper audio. I'd hate to have to purchase Volume 3 of the Wrestlemania set just for one match.

Haha this is great I have the Killer Bees match on a comp tape and I've managed to synch it up with the match on the DVD

What do you mean I've got too much free time on my hands

Guest *KNK*

This whole set was ridiculously rushed. For more of the same, check out the intro's to the 9/29/94 match with Owen.

I would've rather they waited another month to fix it up and released it after the holidays but I know WWE saw $ for the dvd before the holidays.

I thought the Bulldogs/Hart Foundation tag match on disc one was a terrible one to include. A time limit draw because of a "curfew"? I had never heard of that before.

The Main feature left me wanting more, but not another hour or anything--more insight from Bret. I mean, it's been 8 years, and the most he can say about Montreal was "I stand by my actions, I stand by what I did"? The same with Owen's death. I hope I'm not the only one, but Bret seems to be a pretty big fan of himself. He constantly talks about how great his matches were and how he was better than anyone. Not very humble if you ask me.

No Stampede matches in their entiriety? I would have loved to see more than 30 seconds Bret/Dynamite.

With the video Tribute to the wrestlers who have passed away: Why did he get so emotional when talking about Rick Rude? What did he do for him that made him a hero to Bret? Confusing.

The Steamboat match was awesome, as was the tag match vs. The Rockers. The ending sucked, though, like all most of the tag matches in this set. I really wish they would have included the SS 96 match with Austin in addition to the WM 13 one. It would have really captured that feud if BOTH matches were included.

The Action Zone match with Owen wasn't as good as WM 10 or the SS 94 cage match, but I can see why Bret likes it so much. I really liked having the IYH match vs. Bulldog. You can really hear Vince's anger when it's revealed that Bret is bleeding. Of course, it didn't last long as that match was shown on RAW a few weeks later.

Overall, if I was to give it a letter grade, I'd give it a B-. Why? Well, the feature was informative, but could have had so much more. Plus, some of the match selections (like the Bulldogs match) weren't very good. Finally, (and what pisses me off about WWE releases), a good chunk of the matches are available on other releases. One or two is ok, but this release has SIX matches that are available on other releases. Of course, 3 of those are Wrestlemania matches, but you get the idea.

But, considering how much time they had and how quickly it all came together, it's a fantastic set. I bought it at Best Buy for 19.99, and it's definitely worth it. But if it goes up to $30+ (which it probably won't), then I'd think twice.

With the video Tribute to the wrestlers who have passed away:  Why did he get so emotional when talking about Rick Rude?  What did he do for him that made him a hero to Bret?  Confusing.

Bret and Rude were very good friends. When Rude passed away, Bret had a lot of good things to say about Rude, saying that Rude was somebody who would have his back in a fight.

Perhaps this is it....from Bret's webpage, from Bret himself:

"When McMahon and his sidemen barged into my dressing room in Montreal, Rick was there. He was one of the guys who refused to budge. Refused to allow me to be put in a compromising position. Rick Rude stayed there to make sure my back was watched.

There were -- and are -- some people who think the whole thing that happened between McMahon and I was a hoax. Rick was the one who called Eric Bischoff and said 'I was there. I was in the room and this is what happened.'

When I was forming new business relationships in WCW, Rude's call protected me and saved me from a lot of doubt because even Eric Bischoff had to question whether this was a set-up or not. I was always grateful to Rick for making that call and for being with me in the room that day."

http://www.brethart.com/column/april24.asp

With the video Tribute to the wrestlers who have passed away:  Why did he get so emotional when talking about Rick Rude?  What did he do for him that made him a hero to Bret?  Confusing.

Bret and Rude were very good friends. When Rude passed away, Bret had a lot of good things to say about Rude, saying that Rude was somebody who would have his back in a fight.

Rude jumped off of the WWF after SurSer '97, and wasnt on HBK's *HERO* speech. Probably that was another high point on Bret's book. In mine iy is :)

Guest Brian

I doubt any of the Stampede matches exist in full. Most of the TV is clipped. I doubt much of the raw footage still exists, and if it did, I think Bret would have used it.

Guest Brian

I think all his stuff is from TV, which means it's either joined in progress or clipped. Not everything is liked that, but the vast majority of stuff that aired is that way.

Bought the DVD last night at FYE in NJ, and Bret signed it for me. I was toward the back of the line, and when I got to him, he looked really tired (he must have signed about 400 DVDs), but he was really nice, and he perked up when I mentioned the word "hero". Apart from Benoit, Bret's probably the only wrestler I would have wanted to meet, and I'm glad I did.

What pissed me off, though, was that in order to get the $5 rebate, you have to cut out the UPC code on the DVD case and send it in. Most DVDs have little tear-away Proofs of Purchase inside the case, but this DVD didn't. I think they did that on purpose so people would shy away from claiming the rebate. Damn.

Anyhow, the main feature was great. Lots of older footage, really touching moments whenever he mentioned Owen and the rest of the family. And I could see how much he was biting his tongue when he called Shawn Michaels a "little bastard". Can't wait to sit down tonight and watch the rest of the DVDs.

Guest Askewniverse

You don't have to send in the UPC on the DVD case to get the rebate. You can send in the yellow and white price tag (on the shrinkwrap) instead.

I hope I'm not the only one, but Bret seems to be a pretty big fan of himself. He constantly talks about how great his matches were and how he was better than anyone. Not very humble if you ask me.

Most long term main eventers are marks for themselves, especially coming from WWF/E. You almost have to be in order to maintain your spot. It's a dog eat dog environment and the only person who is going to look after you is you. If you aren't to some degree full of yourself, than you probrably didn't have a long reign on top. Let's take a look at some past WWF/E champs.

Chris Benoit- Selfless. Run didn't last as long as it should've.

Chris Jericho- Fairly selfless. Willing to go with whatever. Run didn't last as long as it should've.

Eddie Guerrero- Pretty much the same deal as Jericho, although to be fair he asked to be taken down a spot because of the pressures.

Now, how about some other guys...

Hulk Hogan- Mark for himself.

Ultimate Warrior- Mark for himself

Shawn Michaels- Mark for himself

HHH-Mark for himself

Steve Austin- Mark for himself

Rock- I'd say Rock is smack dab in the middle where he was selfless and didn't mind jobbing and such, but he still was high on himself.

Wasn't sure where to post this. Here you can find a very nice interview with Bret Hart. Boy, does he love telling about that little kid that only knows him from the videogames. I've read that aneqdote in about every interview he's done lately. Anyway, a very good read IMO.

Most long term main eventers are marks for themselves, especially coming from WWF/E. You almost have to be in order to maintain your spot. It's a dog eat dog environment and the only person who is going to look after you is you. If you aren't to some degree full of yourself, than you probrably didn't have a long reign on top. Let's take a look at some past WWF/E champs.

Oh that's more than true, but when it comes to Bret he seems to be at the top of the list. It's almost, almost, to the point where it's enough to make someone sick. I don't blame him though, as he has every right in the world to be like that, especially with all of the bad things that have happened to him over the years.

Man watching Rockers-Harts again makes me wish the WWF was smart enough back then to do a triple threat tag match with them and Demos. Could of been real fun. Was that the original plan at Slam or something?

I mean the Rockers were sort of just..phased out.

Up until 1991, The Rockers were just seen as jobbers. It'd be the same if Benjamin was wrestling Cena and Angle interfered. Benjamin would be quietly fazed out so the heat would remain on Cena and Angle.

I hope I'm not the only one, but Bret seems to be a pretty big fan of himself. He constantly talks about how great his matches were and how he was better than anyone. Not very humble if you ask me.

Yeah, just look at Bret's WCW run. He was fairly selfless and was stuck as a mid-carder for almost 2 years. Then again, with Hogan not being around, i think its safe to say that was a huge factor in Bret finally becoming the WCW Champion.

Guest Duke_The_Dog

I know the emotion had a huge role in it, but the Bret/bulldog match from 92 came across very flat to me. Bret was using alot of headlocks to compensate for Bulldog's blowing up. Match was a disappointment to me. :(

Guest *KNK*

Yeah, just look at Bret's WCW run. He was fairly selfless and was stuck as a mid-carder for almost 2 years. Then again, with Hogan not being around, i think its safe to say that was a huge factor in Bret finally becoming the WCW Champion.

No, Bret's brother dying was basically the only reason WCW even remembered Bret was employed.

Couple random comments. Bret is a bit but he knows it ias well. So it doesn't both me.

Second, I love the fact that he emphasizes realistic matches. That IGN interview has some good stuff about that. We all know wrestling is "fake" but it bugs me when the suspension of disbelief is impossible to maintain. Like in women's matches with Trish when people sit on the turnbuckly then she does her stupid head scissors thing - rule number 1, against Trish don't sit on the turnbuckle! I know that and I'm not the one who has already gotten his ass kicked by that move 3 times.

Guest *KNK*

Odd question, but Bret has had alot of different color and design differences in his outfits...

Which is your favorite? I'm most partial to the all pink look from WM8