TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SilverPhoenix

The Impact of Eddy's Death on the WWE

I think the only reason why most of you are saying Benoit getting the title is the best for the company, is because most of you are Benoit fans. Fact is Rey Mysterio is more popular then Benoit, and him getting the title would be more in the best interest for the company.

Have Malenko get in ring shape and have him and Benoit wrestle a tribute match for Guerrero(Considering most people think that Eddie had his best work againest these 2)

Guest [censored]

In an effort to get this back on track.

Rey Mysterio will never be a credible world champion and I seriously doubt he ever get that chance. HBK is one of the most popular wrestlers they have on the roster right now and is much better temporary choice than Mysterio, Benoit, Booker T or even Orton. Putting it on HBK allows them to use him to put over on of those last three as the next champ putting them on much stronger ground than be simply winning a hastely put together match or tournament.

Also let's not forget Batista is still the champ and if the reports of him only needing 3-4 weeks, there really isn't a need to take the title off him now.

Guest [censored]
Have Malenko get in ring shape and have him and Benoit wrestle a tribute match for Guerrero(Considering most people think that Eddie had his best work againest these 2)

Can you get in ring shape in a few hours?

Guest *KNK*
I wouldn't put it past them to really get desperate and send Angle back over to Smackdown.

You cant be serious. Hes getting more pops over at RAW than Cena is!

That's one of the main reasons I would see WWE moving Angle back.

I wouldn't put it past them to really get desperate and send Angle back over to Smackdown.

You cant be serious. Hes getting more pops over at RAW than Cena is!

That's one of the main reasons I would see WWE moving Angle back.

There keeping Angle on Raw. Eventually we'll get heel HHH vs. face Angle. Trust me.

They can have it take place at Survivor Series or Armageddon.

But back to the Rey Mysterio. The same people saying that people wont buy Rey as champion, are problay the same people that were saying people won't accept Eddie as champion.

Rey's size doesn't matter as he's already beaten alot of big guys like JBL, Chris Masters, Kevin Nash, and even has beaten Benoit in the past. People already buy Rey as legit.

Art Barr...Louis Spiccolli...Eddy Guerrero...

Konnan's the only member left of one of the greatest wrestling stables of all time.

Eddy's death will either help or destroy the WWE. That's it. There's no middle ground with Eddy's death here.

Tread lightly Vince...

I just watched the Press Conference and was shocked the reporters didn't ask about steroids.

If steroids are found in his system during the autopsy, will that information get released? Does a toxicology report even look for steroids?

I just watched the Press Conference and was shocked the reporters didn't ask about steroids.

If steroids are found in his system during the autopsy, will that information get released? Does a toxology report even look for steroids?

I think in someways its to soon to bring up steroids, especially after the company's trial in the mid 1990s. I'm sure there PR people were cringing when they realized that Vince and Chavo were going to have to go out and give a press conference.

Guest [censored]
,Nov 13 2005, 04:58 PM]

They can have it take place at Survivor Series or Armageddon.

But back to the Rey Mysterio. The same people saying that people wont buy Rey as champion, are problay the same people that were saying people won't accept Eddie as champion.

Rey's size doesn't matter as he's already beaten alot of big guys like JBL, Chris Masters, Kevin Nash, and even has beaten Benoit in the past. People already buy Rey as legit.

I completely bought Eddie as a champion but I've not bought Rey Mysterio as a legitimate heavy weight contender, period. Now I like the him as a wrestler alot and I'm sure he is very popular, especially with hardcore fans. However I simply do not see any evidence nor do I believe that the casual fan which WWE needs and courts will buy a Mysterio championship as anything but a gimmick waiting to end.

He's a top mid card draw but not a main eventer in my eyes and I believe this is how most mainstream fans see him as well.

Guest *KNK*

I wonder if WWE will take any backlash like it did with Owen's death here for "going on with the show" and "exploiting the death of it's star".

The differences are big, as Owen died during the show and Owen died as a result of a stunt...Also, the media was all over WWE in 1999 and I haven't heard so much of a mention anywhere else besides the local minnesota media and the IWC media.

I just hope there's no constroversy about Eddy's death because the constroversy overshadowed the tragic loss of Owen and I dont want that fate for Eddy.

If WWE is going to pull the trigger on giving Rey a World title, today is the only time they're going to have a chance to do it, in my opinion. A heel cannot walk out of Minneapolis tonight as World Heavyweight Champion. Bear in mind, this will be the last match on the card and the culmination of this Eddie tribute show. There are only three people who deserve to get the title tonight:

Rey Misterio

Chris Benoit

Chavo Guerrero

Care to elaborate on that, Sass?

If Vince uses any toilet humor on his shows shortly after this news, I could see the fan backlash being immense just for bad taste now that Eddy, a beloved wrestler, is gone.

It's gut check time for Vince now that's he lost one of the few guys on his roster who fans would pay to see.

Guest *KNK*

Why is everyone so adament that a new champion will be crowned tonight?

Batista is only out for 4-6 weeks since he's rehabbing, not getting the surgery and quite frankly, honoring Eddy is more important then what to do with the title.

I wonder if WWE will take any backlash like it did with Owen's death here for "going on with the show" and "exploiting the death of it's star".

The differences are big, as Owen died during the show and Owen died as a result of a stunt...Also, the media was all over WWE in 1999 and I haven't heard so much of a mention anywhere else besides the local minnesota media and the IWC media.

I just hope there's no constroversy about Eddy's death because the constroversy overshadowed the tragic loss of Owen and I dont want that fate for Eddy.

probably not too much as remember that Brian died the mrning of a ppv and they went on with the show and didnt get too m uch backlash then

probably not too much as remember that Brian died the mrning of a ppv and they went on with the show and didnt get too m uch backlash then

Surprising, especially when you consider he replaced Pillman's match with a midget comedy match.

Guest *KNK*

Surprising, especially when you consider he replaced Pillman's match with a midget comedy match.

There's a bit of a difference (sadly) between the death of a low-carder that wasn't a focal part of the show or the company, the death of a known wrestler with terribly tragic and unneccesary cause and the beloved superstar who was virtually carrying the brand at his death.

Why is everyone so adament that a new champion will be crowned tonight?

Batista is only out for 4-6 weeks since he's rehabbing, not getting the surgery and quite frankly, honoring Eddy is more important then what to do with the title.

1. Because 4-6 weeks means Batista would miss all the remaining WWE PPVs for 2005. Unless you want to draw SD vs. RAW out for another month of storyline, you can't just not have an active world champion in this day and age. Something's gotta headline Armageddon, after all.

2. Having one of Eddie's friends (relatives?) win the title in a tribute to him would be a feel-good moment to end tonight's Supershow and could cement a new main-eventer to take Eddie's place in the main event hierarchy on SD. (Of course, no one can take Eddie's place in terms of influence to this business, but you know what I mean.)

Unless Benoit signs a new contract and gets the title, I don't see much changing.

I fall a sleep watching Raw most weeks and I haven't watched a full SD in a while. I follow the results online for the most part and watch clips on WWE.com.

All I really care about at the moment is how they honor Eddie tonight for the shows this week.

Quite frankly, if they crown a new champion tonight, I'd put the announcement/photos up on WWE.com so if people don't want to watch the Eddie tribute show they can just watch the wrestling content from the show. That way, people can't point fingers and say that the title switch was a cynical attempt to boost ratings.

There are only three people who deserve to get the title tonight:

Rey Misterio

Chris Benoit

Chavo Guerrero

I don't think Chavo "deserves" the title, though I certainly wouldn't mind him winning it.

Besides, I highly doubt he would accept a sympathy reign.

There are only three people who deserve to get the title tonight:

Rey Misterio

Chris Benoit

Chavo Guerrero

I don't think Chavo "deserves" the title, though I certainly wouldn't mind him winning it.

Besides, I highly doubt he would accept a sympathy reign.

Yeah, that's all it would be, pretty much. It would be 'Kerry von Erich, NWA Champion' all over again. I'm not gonna sugarcoat that, I'm just saying it is a viable option.

I hate to even discuss this, but they're really screwed if Benoit leaves (and this tragedy is going to push him hard one way or the other I think).

In terms of Smackdown, the WWE needs to do a few things.

If they're going to take the belt off Batista while he's injured, the better choice is Rey Jr. rather than Benoit. Despite the issues of Benoit's contract status, and as much as I'm a Benoit fan, Rey has been more closely associated with Eddie lately and in terms of a sympathy win, Rey with the belt is better than Benoit. Also factor in that Eddie is one of the maybe two guys on the roster who actually added viewers when they were on TV - Rey is the other one.

Also, they need to try and do whatever they can to resign Benoit, if the contract is up in the air. If that means adding more money to the offered contract, do it. I don't care if Benoit only plans to wrestle for another couple years and then retire, right now, they REALLY need him.

Finally......anyone know what the status is for the return of RVD to the active roster? If he was ready, or will be sometime soon, I'd quietly move him back to Smackdown. He's a familiar, and very popular, face that people can turn to now that Eddie is gone. No one is ever going to fill Eddie's spot, but RVD would be a huge asset to Smackdown. It would help fill the void.

Guest Leelee

Sadly, the loss of Eddie isn't a huge impact at all.

WWE is at the point where new watchers are few, and most who watch do so out of habit.

Let's all remember that they JBL the big star of SD out of nowhere. Vince can throw in whatever roided-up freaks, give 'em a strong push, and the marks will eat it up... and eventually, the smarks will, as well.

From a purely cynical point of view.

Vince knows that Raw and (especially) SD will garner higher than usual ratings, especially from the smart crowd. If he ws to put the belt on someone and put them over, then it would likely by a prime opportunity.

I feel there are going to be several fans watching this week who haven't watched in a while or got bored of the product who tun ein to pay respect. It would be the perfect time to hook them in.

In that sense, these shows could have a major effect on the upcoming months.