TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
haVoc

Spoilers for Raw & SD! Tapings

Be sure to check back throughout the night, as PWTorch.com will be providing the results of the joint Raw and Smackdown television tapings from the Target Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Torch Editor Wade Keller will be corresponding with me throughout the night to let me know what is happening, and it will get posted right here.

The show started up with the crowd chanting "Eddie, Eddie." Many fans in the building have signs dedicated to Eddie Guerrero. On the stage, as a tribute to Eddie, they have his car set up. Lilian Garcia opened the show by saying this would be a special tribute show for Eddie Guerrero. There was no pyro, and no special introduction of any of the announcers.

(1) Mr. Ken Kennedy defeated Val Venis in about five minutes. Kennedy got major heel heat for being from Green Bay and playing that up quite a bit while in the midst of Viking Country.

Credit:PWTorch.com

I know this is usually looked down on, but tonight should be different.

They start off with Ken Kennedy vs. Val Venis?

I was expecting something like all the wrestlers at the entrance like they did for the Owen one.

Keep in mind that they're taping Smackdown first, then Raw.

It'll play right on TV. Just seems odd with the tapings though.

Afterwards, all the wrestlers came out. Chris Benoit was crying from the moment he came out of the curtain, and was perhaps more emotional than anyone. Vince McMahon then said some words about Eddie: "Eddie Guerrero has passed away. Eddie was in the prime of his life, in the prime of his career. Tonight we celebrate the life of Eddie Guerrero. He loved the business. He had a passion like no one else. Whether cheered or booed, he loved to perform for the fans. Eddie Guerrero's goal every night was to steal the show. He would want the show to go on. And so we shall."

They had a 10-bell salute for Eddie, and the crowd was silent for it. After this, they aired a tribute video set to Johnny Cash's rendition of the Nine Inch Nails song "Hurt." When the video was done, Vince said, "Viva La Raza!" Pretty much everyone was out for this, including Shane McMahon, who was crying as well. The fans chanted "Thank you, Eddie!"

John Cena then had some words about Eddie: "Eddie was a father figure. Eddie was a man of faith, but selfishly, we'll all miss him."

(2) Big Show & Kane defeated MNM. This wasn't technically a squash match, but it was pretty close to it. The finish came on a chokeslam. Before the match, they showed the angle where Eddie sprayed Big Show with raw sewage from a past Smackdown show.

After this, they aired a tribute video set to Johnny Cash's rendition of the Nine Inch Nails song "Hurt."

Damn, that song is sad. Especially Cash's version.

(3) Kurt Angle defeated Shelton Benjamin. Benjamin got a near fall with a wicked looking back suplex off the top rope. Angle was able to kick out of that and apply the anklelock for the submission victory.

After that, they showed a bunch of old Eddie and Chavo comedy skits from over the years. Chavo on the big screen then gave an emotional speech about how Eddie was like a big brother to him. He talked about how much he looked up to Eddie and how much teaming with Eddie meant to him.

It was confirmed that Joey Styles, Jerry Lawler and Jonathan Coachman are doing the commentary for the Raw show. The show is being presented in such a way that there are no angles whatsoever. It's simply matches and video segments.

After this, they aired a tribute video set to Johnny Cash's rendition of the Nine Inch Nails song "Hurt."

Oh yeah, I'm definitely going to cry right there.

Seconded.

(4) Rey Mysterio defeated Shawn Michaels in about 10 minutes. Michaels went for the sweet chin music, but Mysterio was able to avoid it. Mysterio then hit the 6-1-9 and dropped the dime to get the pinfall victory. During the pin, Michaels' legs sort of flailed about, but they still counted the pin. After the match, Mysterio and Michaels hugged. It should be noted also that during the course of the match, Mysterio paid tribute to Eddie by doing his little celebratory dance, which was a nice touch.

(4) Rey Mysterio defeated Shawn Michaels in about 10 minutes. Michaels went for the sweet chin music, but Mysterio was able to avoid it. Mysterio then hit the 6-1-9 and dropped the dime to get the pinfall victory. During the pin, Michaels' legs sort of flailed about, but they still counted the pin. After the match, Mysterio and Michaels hugged. It should be noted also that during the course of the match, Mysterio paid tribute to Eddie by doing his little celebratory dance, which was a nice touch.

...I will LOVE seeing this match.

Holy shit... Angle-Benjamin, AND Mysterio-HBK!? And I was only looking forward to seeing HBK and Mysterio interaction at Survivor Series.

Its bittersweet though, we get two great matches in a row, but the surrounding circumstances are just terrible. I'm going to enjoy watching the show, and celebrating Eddie's career, and life.