TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enigma

Vince McMahon Institutes New Drug Policy

The Steroids issue is an interesting one.

If the actual policy places steroids in "performance enhancing drugs" category and not in other categories (prescription meds, for example), then are steroids still allowed if they are prescribed by a doctor?

Legal steroids do exist, not over the counter though.

Correct. I think we are all talking about muscle building steroids. I have a steroid inhaler for my asthma called Q-Var, however I don't have to worry about an enlarged heart after taking it.

Guest jkt
Correct. I think we are all talking about muscle building steroids. I have a steroid inhaler for my asthma called Q-Var, however I don't have to worry about an enlarged heart after taking it.

We will know if Vince is serious about this policy if the wrestlers start shrinking in the next few months. Masters will come out looking like Guido.

"Did you have occasion to call Dr. Zahorian on March 23 of 1990 and ask him for anabolic steroids?"

"Yes," Piper replied. "I did."

"And what did you ask him for?"

"I asked him for some Winstrol, and I believe some Deca-Durabolin, and I'm not sure, maybe an anti-inflammatory, too."

"Did you receive the anabolic steroids you ordered from Dr. Zahorian in California?"

In a low voice, Piper answered. "Yes, sir."

Just to comment on 1992 being a financial disappointment. I thought 1994 was even worse in terms of finances? I think it had to do with all the PR problems from Superstar and Bruno comments to the sexual escapades that were going on at Titan Towers that turned people off in those years. Not to mention the horrible storylines.

This policy could help, but I think it will go the path of the other policy they put together during the dark days. It will slowly be gone. It's funny how Vince would brag about not needing testing since in pro wrestling it's not cheating to use steroids on a national sports show in Canada during the whole baseball disaster. The same with HHH proclaiming that steroids weren't bad on ESPN. All of this during the government sessions with MLB. I think what also needs to change is the damn schedule. These guys are simply putting their bodies on the line way too much. Of course they won't cut back for monetary reasons.

I just watched the video of Vince telling everybody about the drug policy and I think some guys are now thinking "FUCK". Kurt asked if it would be random drug testing and Vince said yes and I think Angle didn't like that. Also on a side note Maria looked horrible and she was annoying.

I just watched the video of Vince telling everybody about the drug policy and I think some guys are now thinking "FUCK". Kurt asked if it would be random drug testing and Vince said yes and I think Angle didn't like that. Also on a side note Maria looked horrible and she was annoying.

There's a video of this?

Okay, this may seem wrong to say, but suppose this whole thing is a work? WWE.COM having this on their website for people to watch and Eugene all of a sudden collapsing on tour seems kind of right up their alley to exploit a situation they know people are talking about. Just something to think about.

Guest God Junior
92 was a refreshing year because of the strict policy. Perhaps if they toned down on Snitsky types like they did with Warlord types, then we might be getting another wrestling era. And maybe, Angle and Misterio won't have to grow muscles where they shouldn't.

1992 was also the worst financial year in WWF history which shows the fans are a big part of the blame for the steroid abuse.

Surely it was the fault of WWF for constantly reinforcing the idea that only physically big wrestlers can be big names?

-I can't believe that Kurt actually asked that question.

-Maria looked fine. God forbid she actually look somewhat normal when not in character and now fixed up.

-Was that Joey Styles standing with his back to the camera?

EDIT:

Yes, that is Joey Styles.

From PWInsider:

I had heard earlier today that former ECW announcer Joey Styles, who has called the last two Raw shows for WWE, was in the UK and would be calling Raw tonight.  It's been confirmed, probably unintentionally, by WWE.com in footage they have on the site of the meeting that Vince McMahon had with the wrestlers today to announce the new drug policy.  Styles can be seen standing next to the camera, so he's definitely in England to call Raw.

Styles had been at the last two Raw tapings on something of a "tryout" basis (for both sides) using his remaining sick days from his regular jobs.  He had told people close to him that he was out of personal time from his job and would only be at future Raw tapings if he came to terms on a contract with WWE.  It appears that he has.

Also, a quick recap from PWInsider:

In a video posted on WWE.com today, they showed a clip from the the meeting that Vince had earlier today with his wrestlers, telling them about the company's new drug policy.  He said he wanted them to hear it from him first, before it leaked out elsewhere.  He said that the policy would be implemented over the next few weeks.

He said that they will be testing for "drugs of abuse" and abuse of prescription drugs, as well as growth enhancers and steroids.  He said it will be a strict policy that will be handled by a third party agency, not done in-house by WWE.  He added that it will cover all individuals under full time contracts with WWE.

He asked for comments from the wrestlers and no one said a word.  He said that there must be a million things going through their heads and there was laughter.  He then said he doesn't have all the answers yet.  He said that WWE was looking into implementing the program and wanted to tell the talent before word got out and they heard about it elsewhere.  He said he doesn't have the policy with him but will have it in a few weeks.  He asked the wrestlers for their input in it since it will be their policy.

Someone (it sounded like Ric Flair) asked about the prescription drug usage.  Vince said that the doctor would be able to check what prescriptions the wrestler is taking and by testing, would be able to tell if they were being abused.  He said it was easy to see when too much of a drug has been taken.  He added that the first step, if someone is caught abusing prescription drugs, would be to try and get the worker help.  He said if there were not prescriptions involved in a failed test, he thought that would bring on "another set of ramifications".  He added that the policy will be fair and "across the board for everybody".  He added there would be no exceptions to it.

He was asked if the testing would be random and Vince said yes.  He said it would be "relatively frequent".  He talked about the last testing they had (back in the early 90s) and said that the difference this time is that he will be the second person to know.  The first people will be the tester and the performer.  Vince added that people won't be able to say "Yeah Vince but...." if they are caught.  Everything will be spelled out in black and white in the policy as to what will happen if someone tests positive.  Someone then thanked Vince for telling them personally.

As I mentioned today, I think this is a great first step. 

So basically Vince is covering his ass by hanging out the wrestlers he more or less ordered onto the drugs out to dry? This is the same asshole who informed a lot of these guys they better get real big real fast and if they didn't listen, out the door they went.

Sorry Vince doesn't have a heart, Vince just doesn't want to face Congress. That's all this is at the end of the day. He pushes them onto the sword and then he going to say it was suicide.

So basically Vince is covering his ass by hanging out the wrestlers he more or less ordered onto the drugs out to dry? This is the same asshole who informed a lot of these guys they better get real big real fast and if they didn't listen, out the door they went.

Sorry Vince doesn't have a heart, Vince just doesn't want to face Congress. That's all this is at the end of the day. He pushes them onto the sword and then he going to say it was suicide.

I think pushing them off a bridge and then saying it was suicide would be better. If someone wanted to commit suicide, using a sword would probably be pretty far down the list.

I think pushing them off a bridge and then saying it was suicide would be better. If someone wanted to commit suicide, using a sword would probably be pretty far down the list.

Point being he orders them to destroy their bodies each and every week with some highly dangerous matches and orders them to bulk up or else. Then he comes back shocked to discover that they abuse painkillers or roids like he is completely blameless in all of this. He'll just keep working them harder than ever in an environment where they aren't allowed to take time off unless they want their release and then he'll bitch at them when they start getting smaller.

This isn't going to work until Vince's mindset on the design of a wrestler changes and until he adds some kind of rotation so these guys aren't in pain every minute of every day.

This is all they will do, this is it. It's a "protect Vince, fuck you" move.

Here is a quick question for you guys that know anything about drug testing and the such:

the guys have problems, are on steroids, etc... Let's say every single one of them goes clean right here and now.

If, in a few weeks, they start the testing, is it still possible that they could still come up positive because of their use prior to this policy being set in stone? Or will they give everyone enough of time to get clean before they start testing.

Here is a quick question for you guys that know anything about drug testing and the such:

the guys have problems, are on steroids, etc... Let's say every single one of them goes clean right here and now.

If, in a few weeks, they start the testing, is it still possible that they could still come up positive because of their use prior to this policy being set in stone? Or will they give everyone enough of time to get clean before they start testing.

You can get your urine cleaned out and be done with roids in less than a week. It's not like weed and other drugs where the positive will stand for about two weeks.

Wow did anyone catch Kurt Angle's question on that video? He pretty much sounded worried about what the testers consider "a lot" when prescription drugs are concerned.

If Vince is serious he has to stick to his guns, so we might not see Angle wrestle for awhile as he'll either get help or get fired.

Saying that we're going to have a bunch of Corino size guys is assuming that the wrestlers don't know how to get big naturally. Plus it wouldn't hurt to focus on a smaller guy. All the casual fans I talk with lately say they'd rather watch a smaller faster guy than some big lumbering Hoss.

Wow did anyone catch Kurt Angle's question on that video?  He pretty much sounded worried about what the testers consider "a lot" when prescription drugs are concerned.

I thought that was Flair. Kurt asked the question about the tests being random or not I believe.