TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tony manero

I'm Not Feeling Survivor Series

Guest tony manero

I don't think I'll order it or even bother to go to Hooters to watch it for free.

Let's break down the card, shall we...

- Undertaker/Orton/Mysterio/JBL/Lashley vs. HBK/CCC/Masters/Show/Kane -- If the JBL vs. HBK match is any indication, this match will blow chunks and like it. I also wouldn't be surprised if the match garners little heat.

- HHH vs. Flair in a Last Man Standing Match -- So, we get to see HHH and Flair lay down on the mat for up to 9 seconds at a time? There has only been one good last-man standing match and that was between Jericho and HHH. Given Flair's NWA history, this should've been an I QUIT match with both guys cussing into a microphone.

- Trish vs. Melina for the Women's Title -- Eh, don't really care for this one at all. It'll be a cookie cutter RAW women's match.

- Bischoff vs. Long. WTF? Next.

- Benoit vs. Booker T. Should be Ok, but it's been seven years since they're famous (and also overrated) series, and I don't see them even topping three stars, here. More like ** 1/2.

- Angle vs. Cena for the WWE Title with Daivari as ref. We've all seen this match way too many times. I still can't believe that Vince is doing everything and anything he can to prevent Angle from getting cheered and Cena booed. I'm hoping Detroit shits all over Cena and Angle wins the title, but that still won't be enough for me to order this card.

The reason they're on both shows at the moment is to promote the inter-brand PPV. After Survivor Series it should be back to usual.

I think Benoit/Booker will be better than **1/2. But yeah after Eddie's death this PPV isn't terribly important.

Maybe they are hoping Cena won't get booed in front of the Eminem loving Detroit crowd?

I refuse to pay for WWE programming at this point.

This show looks like an average RAW.

$34.99?

Please.

I stand by my policy that there's really no reason to buy any WWE PPV at this point. I'm not even just talking from a quality standpoint, the cost alone is a deterrent. Why spend 35 bucks on a PPV you don't know will be any good, when you can just wait a couple months and buy it at Best Buy or Wal-Mart for 15, 20 bucks after the fact if it does, in fact, turn out to be decent?

That said, I think this year's show has potential. The elimination tag could be decent, if Rey and Shawn have their working boots on to carry their respective teams. It's really going to be about those two; they'll make or break the match. It'll be all about the drama of whether the opposing side can eliminate them.

Angle & Cena I feel could be pretty decent too. Cena seems capable of putting in a fine, occasionally good, performance at PPVs. This should be alright if it's booked right. Isn't Patterson back with the company now? I may be crazy but I think there's a better than average chance they put the belt on Angle here.

HHH v. Flair should also be pretty good if they make it another brutal bloodbath like at Taboo Tuesday.

I think Benoit/Booker will be better than **1/2.  But yeah after Eddie's death this PPV isn't terribly important.

Maybe they are hoping Cena won't get booed in front of the Eminem loving Detroit crowd?

Benoit and Booker have never 'clicked.' As a result, WCW naturally put them in the ring for seven matches together in the span of three weeks, none of which topped *** at the most.

I won't pay $35 for this, but I think it'll be a very fun card. The SS match should have a hot crowd and it will play to the strenghts of all the guys involved (I.E Masters not having to do anything but put on the Masterlock, Kane and Show and Lashley can be monsters, Carlito can do comedy, etc.). HHH/Flair should be solid. Trish/Melina will be a good women's match. Angle/Cena should be good as they'll pull out everything if it's their blowoff. Booker/Benoit will be nothing but solid, possibly very good and will likely open so the crowd should be hot for it. Nothing bad on this card except Teddy/Eric which should be short and hopefully advance some angle or something.

Toss in MNM/Mexicools if they have time and that's a damn good card, one I'll happily download for free. ;)

As someone who used to never get a PPV and used to just rent the tapes a month or two later I can tell you it isn't quite the same as seeing the show live. On the tape or DVD they always change a few things around (maybe muffle crowd reactions they deem inappropriate).

Placebo, hell the Benoit/Booker US title change on Smackdown recently was a nice ***1/2 type match. I do agree that the Best of 7 is kinda overrated but they can certainly get to *** most of the time.

As far as Angle/Cena goes, they have to do the title change here. Cena's getting booed, Angle's got a big following right now, Daivari is the corrupt ref....they have to have Angle win here. Look, if Angle jobs here even with his own handpicked crooked ref then he's done.

Did I miss something? Why is everybody talking about a Benoit-Booker T US title match on the PPV? WWE.com only lists 5 matches, and Benoit-Booker isn't one of them. Those two have a title match scheduled for Smackdown this week, tho.

Guest Leelee
I stand by my policy that there's really no reason to buy any WWE PPV at this point. I'm not even just talking from a quality standpoint, the cost alone is a deterrent. Why spend 35 bucks on a PPV you don't know will be any good, when you can just wait a couple months and buy it at Best Buy or Wal-Mart for 15, 20 bucks after the fact if it does, in fact, turn out to be decent?

The live feeling of watching can't be duplicated.

But, you can't fast forward through live TV.

#2 wins.

Did I miss something? Why is everybody talking about a Benoit-Booker T US title match on the PPV? WWE.com only lists 5 matches, and Benoit-Booker isn't one of them. Those two have a title match scheduled for Smackdown this week, tho.

I think most are expecting a last minute screwjob so the match goes on the PPV.

The live feeling of watching can't be duplicated.

But, you can't fast forward through live TV.

#2 wins.

DVR it then record it later...

I think most are expecting a last minute screwjob so the match goes on the PPV.

Besides, there has to be some reason why Benoit isn't in the main event. They should add some kind of gimmick, though. 2/3 Falls would be fine, I think.

So, is Batista going to drop the title tonight and then be off for surgery/rehab? Am I missing something with UT being in this match in the first post?

I think Flair/HHH and the Survivors match will deliver plenty. You know Flair and HHH will pull out all the stops together. And I think Rey Misterio's time to shine will be Survivor Series. SD is going over, but JBL is a heel. Rey's gotta win it for them.

It's just the same matches over and over again. Angle vs Cena is happening for what? The fifth time in the last three months? Maybe more than five. I don't know why you'd pay to see it again.

The SS match has maybe two good workers and then a buncha loads. Plus who knows who jumps into the SS match with Big Dave out. Be funny if it was Boogeyman. He seems like a great rep for Smackdown!

Flair vs HHH would be good if Flair wasn't down for a nine count whenever someone punches him. Watch the Murdock match, Flair about goes unconscious whenever he's touched. That really ruined the last man standing match hype for me.

Melina vs Trish? Only if the pre-match is if Melina loses she must wear a bag on her head forever. Damn Juvi face.

Overall, I'd maybe spend 15 dollars on it. Maybe. But 35? Hell no.

This would have been my Survivor Series card:

Shawn Michaels, Big Show & Kane, Carlito vs. Batista, Matt Hardy, Rey Mysterio, JBL

Why?: This is a match I would like to see. All 8 wrestlers are well known and established superstars. Lashley is only known by a small piece of the WWE fans and he doesn't deserve to be in this match. Masters sucks. Orton shouldn't be in this match, he has another match at SS.

John Cena vs. Kurt Angle

Ric Flair vs. Triple H

Randy Orton vs. The Undertaker

Why?: Taker really IS returning at SS and if Orton is in the SS's match he has nothing to do. Might as well have him beat the shit out of Orton or if they decide to put the belt on Orton before SS this can be a World Title match, I'd watch it.

Booker T vs. Chris Benoit vs. Ken Kennedy

Why?: Hold out on the singles match till the next real Smackdown! PPV. Also KK needs to get a good PPV appearance. Have KK become the no.1 contender and Benoit uses his rematch clause or something. Nice little match.

Trish vs. Melina

MNM vs. The Mexicools

Why?: Good opener. Screw Long/Bischoff

I'd be really surprised if the Raw team doesn't win the ME. I also see Teddy winning the GM battle due to interferrence. The best part is Rey finally gets to ME a ppv, although since it's basicallly all the upper midcarders from both shows, it really lacks the ppv ME feel. And almost any way you slice it, one brand is going to come out looking bad.

All the other stuff isn't very interesting. They really aren't playing up Cena/Angle like they should (use their 3 year history instead of the old "heel cheats and has a screwy ref" angle). Melina/Trish has decent build for a women's match, but does anyone really care? HHH/Flair should be a decent brawl, but my concern is how predictable the outcome will be as soon as they announce whether or not it's for the IC title. Everything else will be last minute, thrown together matches that don't matter.

last man standing match = count out match. That pretty much ruins it for me.

HHH v. Flair in the cage wasn't all that exciting, what makes me think that this one will be?

Oh and take that damn IC title away from Flair and give it to a face who needs a push!

is it just me or does it seem, at least on paper, that the Smackdown team really should be the favorites in this thing (if Batista was still on the team)? Sure Raw has Kane and Show, but if you were going off of records and how each individual man has been booked the past 5 or 6 months, Smackdown's gotta have those guys beat...

- HHH vs. Flair in a Last Man Standing Match -- So, we get to see HHH and Flair lay down on the mat for up to 9 seconds at a time? There has only been one good last-man standing match and that was between Jericho and HHH.

Last Man Standing between The Rock and Foley in early 1999 was good.

Guest tony manero
- HHH vs. Flair in a Last Man Standing Match -- So, we get to see HHH and Flair lay down on the mat for up to 9 seconds at a time? There has only been one good last-man standing match and that was between Jericho and HHH.

Last Man Standing between The Rock and Foley in early 1999 was good.

The one from St. Valentine's Day Massacre '99? In a way, that felt like an I Quit match because of the constant use of the microphone. It didn't hurt that Rock sang Smackdown Hotel on it in the middle of the match.