TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

Vince saying "Nigga"

Here is the point, that unless you are retarded you have to at least understand the principle.

If there are women in a breast cancer support group where all of the women have lost a breast to the cancer, one of them can make a one tit joke and they would probably laugh. If I walked in and made a one tit joke, they would very likely be offended and should be. THEY are allowed to make the comment because in essence anything they say they are talking about themselves.

OR you have a group of females that playfully call each other "bitch" from time to time. If one of you ladies here randomly call one of the girls bitch, you shouldn't be suprised if she beats your ass. Yes, they called each other bitch, but that doesn't give you the right to.

I can make examples all day about instances that people can say something and it not be offensive and the same thing comes from someone else and it isn't interpreted the same way.

Yes, black people call each other nigga/nigger/nig/nicca whatever. In no way does that open the doors for people of a race whose entire history of saying the word has been stemmed from hate to go all willy-nilly using it too. Noone is being overly sensitive or being whiney if they have a problem with white people freely using the N-word.

All this "rappers say it all the time" crap....SO THE FUCK WHAT. Are YOU a fucking rapper? How's about listing the white rappers that say it? The precident of white people saying nigga isn't set in rap so stop using it as an example because it doesn't make any sense.

Did I find what Vince said offensive? Not really, but the fact that a room full of rich white guys sat around and said "You know what would be funny? If Vince said NIGGA and then Booker was there." could understandably bother some people. Probably the same group that thought it would be cool and funny to have King call Booker a criminal with no daddy all the time, and cool and funny to have Booker steal a truck and say "Just like riding a bike" because...you know...all black people steal cars.

So what I am saying here, agree, don't agree with it, but to act like anyone is a idiot or being over sensitive if they were offended is just plain parents were cousins stupid. Especially when you have never been called nigga/nigger/niggra out of hate from a white person, you are simply not in the place to tell someone else when something COMPLETELY based in racial hatred should be offensive to them or not.

Unless you are Buffybeast. She doesn't count cause she hates black people.

Here is the point, that unless you are retarded you have to at least understand the principle.

If there are women in a breast cancer support group where all of the women have lost a breast to the cancer, one of them can make a one tit joke and they would probably laugh.  If I walked in and made a one tit joke, they would very likely be offended and should be.  THEY are allowed to make the comment because in essence anything they say they are talking about themselves.

OR you have a group of females that playfully call each other "bitch" from time to time.  If one of you ladies here randomly call one of the girls bitch, you shouldn't be suprised if she beats your ass.  Yes, they called each other bitch, but that doesn't give you the right to. 

Once again, if Vince actually called Booker T a nigga as a joke and it only meant something derogatory, those examples would be fine. But the other much more used slang meaning of nigga means friend. You can't say the same thing about the word bitch. Blacks don't use the word to playfully insult each other like your group of women example, it now has a different meaning entirely. Vince was not trying to playfully insult Cena. Does the meaning of a word change if a different race uses it? No it doesn't.

Since I have been called "nigga" myself on MANY occasions by black teenagers, I have come to understand that the word has more than one meaning.  I wasn't being called "nigga" because I was being seen as a "black, inferior person", but because I was accepted.    I believe this is the way Vice McMahon intended it, since the person he was talking to was obviously not black.

Yeah, I'm sure Vince really goes around calling his friends "nigga".

Who said they were my friends?

People should fuck off for telling someone what is or isn't offensive to them.  Just because it doesn't offend you (random poster) doesn't mean it can't be offensive to someone else.  For example: if WCW had made a reference or joke to Owen's harness malfunctioning, people might be offended by it.  Others might not be offended at all.  I personally would have thought that it was classless and crass, but not offensive at all.  But I certainly wouldn't be online telling those that found it offensive how wrong they were.

The argument isn't over whether or not anyone WAS offended, its over whether or not people SHOULD BE offended.

That, and whether or not Booker T is a "rich white guy's jigga boo".

Regardless of what was said, people need to realize that other people can be offended by the slightest use of the words "fag", "nigga", "wetback" and "cracka". I don't care in the slightest, but for some of you to argue that it is ok to use those words, that is what is stupid. Can't believe anyone would defend this, regardless of which race says these things.

Guest Leelee

I've offended people by saying "black", "African-American", "American-African", "them", "colored", "brown", "chocolate", and "rubbed yourself with shit".

I don't think there's a safe way to address black people. Therefore, I don't.

And who is to determine what is offensive? 

This isn't a fucking court room, dumb ass. No one's actually determining anything. Its called a discussion. We're all just expressing our opinions. Nothing here has any official weight with any kind of governing body.

Did you actually think that through before you wrote it?

Apparently more than you did.

A whole thread of white people claiming the 'N' word isn't offensive. And anyone offended by it is stupid. How delightful.

This is the part where I mention for the millionth fucking time that the guy getting called that word was white. Race had no bearing on the use of the word, whatsoever.

Yes, because "This isn't a court room" must've taken you hours to determine.

If someone gets offended, it's not a matter of whether they should or shouldn't have been offended. They were. Period. If someone gets offended and you say they shouldn't be offended, what exactly are they supposed to do? Not be offended any more?

Put some more thought into that, bucko.

Yes, because "This isn't a court room" must've taken you hours to determine.

And I still figured it out before you did.

If someone gets offended, it's not a matter of whether they should or shouldn't have been offended.  They were.  Period.  If someone gets offended and you say they shouldn't be offended, what exactly are they supposed to do?  Not be offended any more? 

It is possible for people first reaction to something to be wrong, you know.

This whole "I was offended because it was offensive because I was offended" circular argument really needs to stop.

You, or anyone else, have yet to present a serious argument for WHY it was offensive beyond that.

This is the part where I mention for the millionth fucking time that the guy getting called that word was white.  Race had no bearing on the use of the word, whatsoever.

Yes it did. White people who call other white people that are idiots. There has to be a special level of idiot for those people because it's just really, really stupid. Plain and simple.

Guest Anticrombie
A whole thread of white people claiming the 'N' word isn't offensive. And anyone offended by it is stupid. How delightful.

Are their any non-white people in this thread claiming the "N" word isn't offensive.....blah, blah, blah....by chance?

Well, besides me, since I don't see the big deal....

This is the part where I mention for the millionth fucking time that the guy getting called that word was white.  Race had no bearing on the use of the word, whatsoever.

Yes it did. White people who call other white people that are idiots. There has to be a special level of idiot for those people because it's just really, really stupid. Plain and simple.

In the event you guys ever get near an actual reason, feel free to post it.

So far we're up to: "I was offended because it was offensive because I was offended"

"White people aren't allowed to have opinions on this"

and

"You're a stupid idiot if you disagree with me."

So far, the case for this incident actually being offensive has barely risen above the level of "because my daddy said so" on the hierarchy of persuasive logic.

How can something be offensive if no one is offended?

How can something not be offensive when it offends people?

It's not a circular argument, it's cause and effect.

No, cause and effect would be if you actually gave a cause beyond restating your premise as your conclusion.

When you restate your premise (it is offensive) as your conclusion (because it offends people) then its a circular argument.

You might as well be saying something smells bad because it is smelly, or someone is fat because they are overweight.

A reason was given many times through this thread. It was summarily dismissed as, "Oh it was just a silly joke! See? Vince is a 60 year old man supposed to be out of touch! That's all!". It doesn't excuse the fact it offended some people.

A key component of something being offensive is that someone is offended.

Yes or no?

Therefore.

If someone is offended....

I am offended what you just wrote in this post. The room is spinning. Now is your post really offensive or am I just being stupid and whiny?

A key component of something being offensive is that someone is offended.

Yes or no?

Therefore.

If someone is offended....

I am offended what you just wrote in this post. The room is spinning. Now is your post really offensive or am I just being stupid and whiny?

That's my best bet.

Good, then you see where we're coming from when we say the Vince segment wasn't offensive and people are just being fucking stupid.