TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

Vince saying "Nigga"

You know, while I agree its in bad taste, the company has been putting up awful intelligence-insulting shit for like 3 years now, and NOW you're offended? Frankly it's more like "moronic bad taste WWE stunt #343278738".

As for this whole "nigger means different things to different people", I thought it came about from French slave owners using the term "negre" and it simply got adapted by different slave owning cultures to better fit their dialect. It's meaning was established due to it's use in reference to slaves so how it can vary I don't quite understand. Although I suppose a Tupac fan could claim it's "Never Ignorant Getting Goals Accomplished" that's much like women claiming bitch means "Beautiful Intelligent Totally Cool Hottie". A bit of research also suggests it had to do with African slaves being taken from Nigeria and being given an abbreviated form of their people (Nigerians became niggers).

An affluent white guy calling another white guy "nigger" is just stupid. It's not funny, it's not cute, it's just stupid. It's not worth getting offended over, it's simply a sad but clear sign that Cena has passed into parody and Vince doesn't care about the concepts of tacts or good taste, so much so the boss feels comfortable making allusions to Cena being a "nigger" while Booker T stands around nearby. The fact they made a point to have Booker around to point out the comment was unnecessary and in poor taste suggests to me they know they were putting something dodgy on the air, didn't care and threw Booker in there as proof of that.

"Yeah, we used the word nigger while a black guy was standing around, what are you gonna do?"

How the fuck does it have different meanings? Nigga/Nigger/Niggar whatever its the same fucking word.

Because it means different things? All three could either be a positive connotation as in showing friendship or a negative connotation as in showing racism. The difference between nigga and nigger is nigga is usually more associated with being friendly than racism.

Its roots are in pure hatrid and the word should not be used. I don't care if dumbass rappers and rap fans used the word every other word. Doesn't make it right. People use gay to mean stupid, does that make it right?

Yeah, even gay people do this. Saying it doesn't mean you think gays are stupid, it's just a different meaning that doesn't have anything to do with homosexuality anymore. But whether you think it's right or not, you have to realize that the word can mean different things depending on how it's used.

Chaosrage, it's funny that you quoted my post, but seemingly missed my entire point: Who the fuck are any of us to tell someone else what they should consider offensive? Personally, I'm not offended by Vince saying what he said, but I'm not going to get on my high-horse and tell people that they shouldn't be offended by it.

I didn't miss it, I just didn't agree with it. I am going to get on my high-horse and tell people they shouldn't be offended by it because they shouldn't.

I didn't miss it, I just didn't agree with it. I am going to get on my high-horse and tell people they shouldn't be offended by it because they shouldn't.

Ooooo-kay ... that makes sense, my apologies. I must have missed the memo that said that some stranger on the internet is now responsible for deciding what can be deemed offensive.

If you get a minute, make a list for me ... I'd hate to be offended at something when I'm not supposed to be.

They could have made that more clear then though. Maybe Vince wants to run for President and he wants the "ghetto to vote my nigga Vince" cause he's so down with his homies in the hood...

That made no sense.

I think a comedy skit, at least partially written & performed by a black man and based around the fact that the name is deemed as 'politically incorrect' is pretty different than an old white guy using it to be funny.

Just my opinion, though.

Oh, and to reiterate again: I don't find it offensive that Vince said it. I just agree that it's acceptable that some people might have.

I think a comedy skit, at least partially written & performed by a black man and based around the fact that the name is deemed as 'politically incorrect' is pretty different than an old white guy using it to be funny.

Just my opinion, though.

Oh, and to reiterate again: I don't find it offensive that Vince said it.  I just agree that it's acceptable that some people might have.

I agree that one is definitely funnier than the other. And if someone wants to be offended every time someone says "nigga" in an ironic or satirical way, that's their right. It just seems people are blowing this way out of proportion because it involves Vince and the WWE. Vince being a rich, out of touch white guy trying to sound "urban" and coming off like an idiot is the whole intention of the line. In fact, it would have worked a lot less well if it had been anyone but Vince doing it, because the exagerration factor would have been lessened.

What if this had been Cowboy Bob?

Not as funny because then it would come off as more redneckish, whereas Vince saying it screams "rich pompous white guy totally out of touch with reality".

If that was indeed their intent, it's only funny because it's true... although why they'd try make light of it I don't know. Then again, I don't know why Rob Conway gets beat up by 60 year olds or why Edge has been rewarded for fucking another worker's long term partner. I guess I no longer "get" WWE.

Even if they were trying to portray Vince as "uncool old white guy" they could have went about it in a different way. Vince being left hanging after asking Cena to "lay him some skin on the flipside, daddio!" or trying to have a conversation with Cena and overusing ebonics ("Hey there John" "Sup Vince, what's going down?" "Well, er, check this out John, my homie Bischoff is getting on my last nerve for real, word to your mother, so the Vinceizzle has --" "Hold up... Vinceizzle? I didn't understand a word you said. What was that about my mother?") could have done the same job without any racial slurs being used.

Know what's offensive? People being unable or unwilling to recognize that something that might not offend them might be offensive to someone else.

white people telling black people that whites saying nigga isn't offensive and that they are being sensitive will NEVER stop being funny to me.

But I am not allowed to comment on this because I am black.

How DARE you sully the good name of Nell Carter and her hit television show Gimme a Break with such vulgarity. Why, is it because she's black? Oh, I bet it is. You strut in here and decide to spread hate like it was goin on its expiration date. Well I ain't havin that.

white people telling black people that whites saying nigga isn't offensive and that they are being sensitive will NEVER stop being funny to me. 

But I am not allowed to comment on this because I am black.

I think white people saying "nigga" just makes them look like complete morons who are just out of touch with reality. Or even better - the ones who say "jigga"...