TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

Celebrate Apple Cider

Guest Vitamin X

Harsh winter months? HA. Maybe for you suckas up north.

82 degrees right now down here.

But I do love me some apple cider.

Guest Vitamin X

Man, there's nothing to be afraid of. And you can also laugh when there's relatively low humidity and the temperature drops below 60 degrees, then people start freaking out and ordering hot drinks galore and bundling up. 54 degrees? GET ME OUTTA HEEEEREE!

Anyways, for you Starbucks types (trying to get this back on topic), you can get a Caramel Apple Cider there now. Not sure how much it is at other places, but down here it's roughly a couple bucks or so, and worth it. Seems like the Hot Chocolate has become winter's version of the Caramel Frappucino though (read: everyone who's not a regular and doesn't drink coffee, but wants to go to Starbucks anyways orders it- which is the bulk of our customers).

It's been unseasonably warm down here, VX. Other than the "cold snap" we got after Wilma made her way through here, it's been pretty warm. Last year was nice, as it got into the 30's some nights while remaining in the 70's for the most part.

Apple cider is OK, but I'm not as much a fan of it as I am delicious hot chocolate or plain old coffee.

A 30 minute drive from Sacramento gets me to a place called Apple Hill, which is about a 20 mile stretch of apple orchards and mills which sells arts, crafts, and everything apple......including Apple Cider made purely of fresh ground up apples. It is 10x darker then any apple juice in the store. Since there are no perservatives in it, it has to be finished approx 5 days after it is opened, but I haven't ever bought a gallon that lasted more then 2 days. Damn I want to go back and buy a few gallons.

Word of Caution...never buy unpasteurized Apple Cider.

I got sick, not once..not twice..but three times drinking it.

At first, I thought I might have some sort of wierd allergy to it (I love apple juice) but come to find out, I noticed on the last bottle that it wasn't pasteurized and I had gotten it from the same place and figured that the previous 2 bottles were also not pasteurized.

Guest Brian
A 30 minute drive from Sacramento gets me to a place called Apple Hill, which is about a 20 mile stretch of apple orchards and mills which sells arts, crafts, and everything apple......including Apple Cider made purely of fresh ground up apples. It is 10x darker then any apple juice in the store. Since there are no perservatives in it, it has to be finished approx 5 days after it is opened, but I haven't ever bought a gallon that lasted more then 2 days. Damn I want to go back and buy a few gallons.

I do make the trip across the hills twice a year, once in June to buy a boatload of fruit (especially cherries) and once in September to grab apples, and I grab the au-natural stuff while I'm there.