TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DMann2003

The Chronicles of Narnia

Just got back from seeing the film tonight, I don't remmember reading the book though I've been familiar with the story- all said it was a very enjoyable fantasy film with fine performances by the 4 children, and Tilda Swinton as the White Witch was great projecting evil, and honestly I think her work deserves consideration for a Best Supporting Actress Oscar.

And Aslan the Lion came to life very well, the climactic battle did not bring up too many LOTR memories, I think because the battle was a lot brighter (not soft, just shot in more light and with more colors I thought), plus there was a wider variety of characters and creatures fighting, the ending got a bit rushed and might confuse some people given what happens if they're not familiar with the story.

Anyone else catch it this weekend?

I read the first two books when I was in grade school. Didn't finish the series. Discovered TV and movies then.

Saw this movie this afternoon and it was excellent. I found it funny that the climactic battle had no blood at all in it and it was still pretty ferocious. The four children were excellent in their performances. A thumbs up movie for sure.

I need to see this soon. I read the whole series asa kid and loved it. On a related note, why is the 7 book boxed set $50+ while the big book with the whole series in one is $18?

Anyway, here's a shitty picture I took at E3 in May of some of the movie props:

698e3eda.jpg

Haven't seen it, but I'm looking forward to it. I only remember seeing the cheesy cartoon back in the day, which I'm sure is a lot different from the film.

I too have seen the movie, and it is awesome. The witch is badass, and I agree that Swinton should be up for an oscar for being such an awesome villian.

Lets just say that the dual wielding centaur (?) is a badass. Oh and griffons dropping boulders is nice.

C.S. Lewis does drop a lot of religious overtones in this, but it's cool.

A beautiful movie.

"Hippie books?" C.S. Lewis was a pretty devout Christian. Are you even trying anymore?

When have I ever tried?

And I use "hippie" for just about anything and it is not meant to be taken seriously. I thought you would have realized this by now, but it's all good.

"Hippie" has jumped the shark.

Not only has "hippie" jumped the shark, but the shark has already eaten it and pooped it out. Doesn't mean I'll stop using the word, though.

So was this movie like a summary of all the HIPPIE books in this series, or are additional movies planned?...

Edited by kkktookmybabyaway

saw it opening night as well, i wasnt all too excited but the girl was. I came out very happy that i went to see it. It was a very good movie. I hope they make more.

The first 5 books are ok to make movies of, but the 6th and 7th books are terrible and I have no interest in ever seeing those... The 2nd book in particular is a direct sequel to the first so I would love to see that one :)

I'm interested in the 3rd book actually. That's the one with Lucy's awesome (read: obnoxious) cousin Eustice on the ship that sails to the end of Narnia, isn't it?

I -think- that's 5.

i remember REALLY liking 5. Even if I forget the exact plot.

It's some sort of candy...you'd think it was crack the way Edmond was selling out his family and friends for it...

It's a pastry with red jelly in the middle. There is a chocolate bar called "Big Turk" that is similar, red jelly, covered in chocolate. Really fucking gross, too.

http://www.balaams-ass.com/journal/homemake/lewisale.htm

When Edmund meets the "White Witch" she gives him first a strange drink, as described previously. She then asks him what he would like best to eat, and to his reply, makes him a box of Turkish Delight by means of her magic. Lewis portrays "Edmund" as eating this greedily, and the more he eats the more he wants it. In other words, he becomes addicted. This is explained in that the witch (or "Queen") knows that the Turkish Delight is "enchanted" and that once a person has tasted it, they will want more and more of it and if allowed to would eat themselves to death. She promises "Edmund" all the Turkish Delight he can eat for the rest of his life if he will bring his sibling to her, and he leaves after begging for just one more piece. (p.32-36; The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe)

Lewis' Turkish Delight is not an enchanted candy from fairyland, though.

In the book Marihuana: The First Twelve Thousand Years by Ernest Abel (New York and London, Plenum Press, 1980), we find out where Lewis got his "inspiration" for "enchanted" Turkish Delight.

"As in India, local officials in Egypt were alarmed at the large numbers of inhabitants who used hashish directly or in confections, many of which were exported to Europe. Among the variety of confectionery treats containing hashish that were sent abroad were 'Turkish Delight,' square pieces of hashish containing sugar and gelatin which were a particular favorite of the students at Cambridge University in England.(p. 133.)

"It was not that the English were above using drugs that altered consciousness, but rather that they were more content with alcohol, and saw little need to experiment with mind-altering drugs. Those who did were either members of minority groups, artists, writers, criminals, or students. It was the isolated cases that came to the attention of the press and gave the impression that hashish was rampant in parts of England.

"One such case took place in 1886 in the dormitories of staid old Cambridge University. According to a newspaper report, some students had obtained 'Turkish Delight' and not being experienced users of the hashish-laden confection, had taken an overdose and became ill as a result. Oxford also had its share of cannabis users. (pp. 165-166.)"(1)

As we shall see further on, Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia are nothing more than a manual of witchcraft for children. What Lewis is doing here is introducing the use of drugs in sorcery. This is commonly used in the Craft. However, the secret meaning here will only be recognized buy the "initiate," so what is the big deal? Simply this, the seed has been planted, and if given the proper attention by the devil's servants, human or otherwise, it can later be developed into something. There are probably quite a few children who would be foolish enough to try "Turkish Delight" or something similar "just like in The Chronicles of Narnia." As a matter of fact, kids have been given drugs in candy. What an "interesting" lesson for the kiddies from Mr. Lewis!!

Damn religious people.

Anyway I thought it was funny that the oldest boy was trying to sword fight the witch and she was just doing it so effortlessly. She knew what she was doing.....which is weird for a woman. ;)

Anyway I wondered how the kids were suddenly so good with their weapons when they'd probably never handled one before?

The irony of that essay is that Lewis himself was very religious (see the whole bruhaha over "Narnia"'s religious subtext)- and in fact many church groups are going to this film ala "Passion"

I thought that the major background story to this movie was that Lewis was making a comparison to British Colonialism. Am I thinking of a totally different book series? If so, I must have been looking to deeply because I saw connections in the movie to those ideas.

Someone told me the CGI scenes in the film are very "fake" looking and dont compare to other CGI-laden films like LOTR, etc. Any opinions on that? Did the (apparently bad) CGI hurt the overall experience? They told me something that since the battles and big scenes that were CGI were filmed in more of a brighter context, it showed it was more obvious digital effects.

Guest cosbywasmurdered
Damn religious people.

Anyway I thought it was funny that the oldest boy was trying to sword fight the witch and she was just doing it so effortlessly. She knew what she was doing.....which is weird for a woman. ;)

Anyway I wondered how the kids were suddenly so good with their weapons when they'd probably never handled one before?

Well in Susan's case the Bow was enchanted I believe. It's been waaaaay too long since I read the books though.

Guest clockworkraven
I'm interested in the 3rd book actually. That's the one with Lucy's awesome (read: obnoxious) cousin Eustice on the ship that sails to the end of Narnia, isn't it?

Voyage of the Dawn Treader, it's a good book. I think it's later on than 3, though.