TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Failed Bridge

NFL Week XVI

Alot of key match-ups left going into this week

NY Giants @ Washington:

Washington still has a chance at the NFC East crown but they have got to win this for those hopes to continue. A Giants win will clinch the NFC East and keep them in the hunt for a first round bye.

Dallas @ Carolina:

Dallas' playoff hopes are fading fast after the blowout loss in Washington this past week. If they lose this game then their chances at going to the playoffs are likely over as Washington has the tie-breaker over them and Minn is beating them as far as Conference Record goes.

Atlanta @ Tampa Bay:

One year after making the NFC Championship game the Falcons are fighting for their playoff lives. Tampa Bay needs this game to keep up with Carolina in the NFC South hunt. Michael Vick has never been able to figure out the Tampa Bay defense and if he doesn't figure them out this week then he'll have a whole extra month's worth of off-season to try.

San Diego @ Kansas City:

After handing the Colts their first loss of the season the Chargers are coming in with alot of momentum but little hope to make the playoffs. Denver will need to lose their game against Oakland but San Diego still has to do their part and beat Kansas City to have any shot at the Playoffs. Kansas City comes in like a wounded animal backed into a corner. One more loss and they'll be eliminated from the post-season.

Playoff picture:

A Denver win clinches them the AFC West

A Chicago win clinches them the NFC North.

A Chicago win coupled with a NY Giants loss gives Chicago a First Round Bye.

A Carolina win coupled with a Tampa Bay loss clinches the NFC South for the Panthers

Not to mention that even if the Hawks lose this game they can wrap up Homefield Advantage through-out the playoffs with a win in Green Bay. They'd have to choke pretty badly to not get HFA through-out.

This will be the first time I have ever, ever, cheered for Green Bay. The Vikings *should* have an easy time with Baltimore, but in order to keep pace, the Bears need to lose.

Guest Leelee
A Chicago win clinches them the NFC North and a First Round Bye

No, it doesn't. If they win their last 2 games, then they have the bye. Or, at least, stay tied in 2nd place with whoever, because the Bears have tiebreaks over everyone except Washington.

Guest Leelee

Better conference record. Chicago has 3 of their 4 losses against the AFC. While I believe NY only has 1 AFC loss.

Right now, they have a better division record. With a win next week, the worst that could happen is they finish with the same division record as the Giants. The Bears also have a better conference record, only losing 1 game in the NFC. With another NFC win next week, they would be guaranteed a better conference record than the Giants, who have already lost 3 NFC games.

Guest Leelee

This is why I need my own column here.

So, I don't need to listen to you stupid plebeians get everything wrong.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

The Bears need to decisively kill another team prior to playing the Vikings, in order to build momentum, and the Packers are a perfect team for this. A mistake-laden offense full of injuries.

This will be the first time I have ever, ever, cheered for Green Bay. The Vikings *should* have an easy time with Baltimore, but in order to keep pace, the Bears need to lose.

You should have been cheering for them in first game against the Bears too.

The Bears need to decisively kill another team prior to playing the Vikings, in order to build momentum, and the Packers are a perfect team for this. A mistake-laden offense full of injuries.

You got that right about the Packers being the perfect team on the schedule for them.

Football until the last two seasons has always been a "Oh, it's on? I'll watch" type thing, this season I've watched every single game I could find on the TV...but GODDAMN if I'm excited for Colts/Seahawks. #1 record v.s. #2, with homefield advantage riding on Seahawk's win.

And yes, I know I sound like a Seattle mark.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

With Gado out I think the Packs heart is broke and the team will just die the next 2 weeks

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

According to the Packer radio post game guys, there is talk in the grapevine that Javon Walker's NFL pals are advising him to be tough for a new contract, so that in the event of another season ending injury befalling him, he will still be getting his big pay day checks.

The talk is that he very well may hold out again, and this time for the long haul.

Or.....he may ask for and or force a trade.

OK here are the predictions:

Buffalo vs. Cincinnati: This should be an assbeating. Cincy by 20.

Tennessee vs. Miami: The Dolphins can finish .500 with a win here, I think they can do it. Miami by 7.

Pittsburgh vs. Cleveland: Steelers cannot possibly afford to lose this (well if the Chargers lose they might but..). Browns will play them tough in the rivalry game, but Steelers should win by 6 or so.

San Diego vs. Kansas City: I think the Chiefs might well be done after that hideous outing in NY. Chargers could be on a roll now, so I think they can get a win here by about 10. Won't matter most likely.

NY Giants vs. Washington: Skins were great last week, but I'll have to see Chris Cooley score 3 times again to believe it. Giants by 7 to wrap up the division.

Dallas vs. Carolina: Cowboys are so finished. If Carolina loses this one it speaks volumes about their chances. Panthers by 14.

Detroit vs. New Orleans: Oh God. I have no idea, two jobbers here. I'll go with the Saints here by about 3.

Atlanta vs. Tampa Bay: I have no idea on this one either, both teams got smacked last week. I'll go with the Bucs at home by 7.

San Francisco vs. St. Louis: Surely the Rams won't lose TWICE to the hapless Niners. Rams by 10.

Jacksonville vs. Houston: This was one a few weeks ago I had earmarked as an upset. Jags can afford to lose it really, since they'd still have a tiebreaker over the Steelers. What the hell, Houston by 3 in a somewhat major upset.

Philadelphia vs. Arizona: Which jobber is the best? I'll go with the Eagles and Mike McMahon by about 3 in a tough game.

Oakland vs. Denver: Surely the Broncos won't tank this one with the division title on the line. Broncos by 17.

Indianapolis vs. Seattle: In theory this should be an epic, but the Colts have things wrapped up and might rest people. Thus, Seattle should wrap up home field here in a meaningless game. Seattle by 10.

Chicago vs. Green Bay: The Pack is finished at this point. Bears are looking very solid, at least on D. Chicago by 10, something like 17-7.

Minnesota vs. Baltimore: Ravens looked good on Monday beating the Packers badly, so I'll take them here in a mild upset. Baltimore by 9.

New England vs. NY Jets: Ah, the parade of jobbers continues for the Pats. NE by about 15. They might lose to the Dolphins the last week though (resting people?).

New England vs. NY Jets: Ah, the parade of jobbers continues for the Pats. NE by about 15. They might lose to the Dolphins the last week though (resting people?).

Belichick's gone on record saying that he won't rest guys until he feels the game is well in hand. Last year, the Pats played the 49ers the last week of the season and it was only 7-7 at the half, so Belichick kept the starters in for the 3rd because he wasn't happy about their play in the first half. This year might be a bit different because, for all intents and purposes, they won't have a bye. I agree with him; this team is starting to gel nicely, so they should get as much playing time as possible to keep sharp for the playoffs.

Can't the Bears still get homefield throughout the NFC, too?

It requires Seattle to lose out the final two games and Bears to win both their final two. Then I don't know who gets the tiebreaks, but it's possible yes.

I guess when you're the Patriots and you shut out a team that was tied for the NFC South lead going into last week that team automatically becomes a jobber.

Of course the Bucs are jobbers. If people gave the Bucs credit, they'd be giving New England credit as well ... and we know that can't happen. Thus, the Bucs suck and the Pats are overrated and horrible and blah blah blah.

The Bucs can be decent enough on a good day, but they can in fact seriously suck ass. I mean this team did lose to the Jets and Niners this year, not to mention they got beat down by about 20 at home by Carolina (then BEAT Carolina in the rematch, go fig). Suffice to say they are up and down. With Chris Simms and their notorious futility in any kind of cold weather below 40, the Pats spanking them was likely.

The only thing preventing me from thinking Miami has a shot is that it could be very cold weather in NE. They have actually been playing well of late.