TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest FromBeyondTheGrave

OAO Royal Rumble Thread Jan/29th/06

Guest FromBeyondTheGrave

With Cena being lame and Batista getting injured, making them have to change plans, I like how this year's Rumble has become a lot more unpredictable. It's like two weeks away and no one is getting pushed as the obvious winner like Batista/Cena - '05, Benoit - '04, Lesnar - '03, etc., in the past, which is good. Triple H, Rob Van Dam, Shawn Michaels, Chris Benoit, Randy Orton, Rey Mysterio and The Undertaker are all top contenders to be the Rumble winner this year. I'm hoping for Benoit or Mysterio.

Hey, can anybody hunt up last years Royal Rumble thread and start up that contest we ran last year? That was good fun.

This one? http://forums.thesmartmarks.com/index.php?showtopic=66276

Guest FromBeyondTheGrave

Trevor Murdoch and Viscera both qualified on the Heat taping, last night.

Guest J0bber

Trevor Murdoch and Viscera both qualified on the Heat taping, last night.

Wow, what a spoiler! Seriously, why even have qualifying matches with jobbers like that. Everyone knows they will just be tossed out.

One positive that came from Batista's injury is that the Rumble winner is no longer limited to Orton or Triple H as they were going to be challengers going to WrestleMania. So it's either Triple H on the Raw side and a few possibilities on Smackdown.

I just hope to god Rey dosen't win this.

Why the fuck not? I'm praying Rey wins this.

Guest FromBeyondTheGrave

I went to a Raw house show last night in Louisville, and Coach said he's going to be in the Rumble. He's my pick. Him or Sylvan Grenier, as he qualified on Velocity by defeating Scotty 2 Hotty. Very impressive.

Guest Coffey
I like how this year's Rumble has become a lot more unpredictable. John Cena, Triple H, Rob Van Dam, Shawn Michaels, Chris Benoit, Randy Orton, Rey Mysterio and The Undertaker are all top contenders to be the Rumble winner this year.

From that list, I think Triple H, Rey Mysterio and Randy Orton have a shot to win it. I don't even think 'Taker will be around. Mysterio just lost to Henry on Smackdown. Rob Van Dam isn't going to main event Wrestlemania and Shawn Michaels will be doing shit with Vince McMahon at 'Mania. Benoit most likely ain't ever doing shit again. He had his run, that was it. That was like a Thank You from WWE. He'll flounder around the midcard for the rest of his career. I don't even think John Cena is in the damn match since he gets his re-match with Edge.

As of right now, my money is on Triple H. I think we'll get Triple H/Cena at 'Mania with Cena possibly being the heel.

Guest FromBeyondTheGrave

Yeah, I wrote that a week ago. I'm guessing Rey or Triple H, right now.

fully loaded 2000

angle v. undertaker

its been done... and it sucked

Angle was an average wrestler at best until 2001, and Taker was during his dark period from 1998-2002. Their later stuff is much better.

fully loaded 2000

angle v. undertaker

Angle was an average wrestler at best until 2001, and Taker was during his dark period from 1998-2002. Their later stuff is much better.

Not to mention that match in particular was a complete glorified squash.

The undercard right now has Edge-Cena, Angle-Henry, and JBL-Boogey Man. If they're going for only four matches like last year, I assume Raw gets one more match to make it even. But what can they possibly add at this point except an IC Title or Women's Title match? Trish-Mickie might be decent, but any Flair match would most definitely suck.

It's always possible they'll make it five matches, but last year's show, even with only four matches, barely finished up at about 10:55. If Booker T's cleared to wrestle, they'll probably add a defense against either Benoit or Jordan... both of which would suck. The Benoit match could have potential, but it's been overdone. Plus, I'd prefer that Benoit be in the Rumble match. Sure, he has one of the worst chances of the lower tier main eventers, but it still adds the star power. The same goes for JBL, if he's allowed in.

The winner of the Rumble could be HHH, RVD, and I assume HBK from Raw, and Mysterio, Orton, or Taker if he's in from Smackdown. I'll be getting the show for the Rumble match, but that's the worst undercard since 1999.

Guest J0bber

fully loaded 2000

angle v. undertaker

Angle vs. Taker was also done at Survivor Series 2000 in another match that sucked so bad that it didn't even close the ppv, and it was a World Title match.

true, but Angle/Bikertaker submission match from a few years back was a GREAT match. I think it truly depends on the kind of story they're looking to tell.

fully loaded 2000

angle v. undertaker

Angle vs. Taker was also done at Survivor Series 2000 in another match that sucked so bad that it didn't even close the ppv, and it was a World Title match.

That was still in 2000 though, so the same thing applies.

Here's the updated list of participants for the Rumble

RAW SUPERSTARS

1) Rob Van Dam

2) Big Show

3) Kane

4) Shawn Michaels

5) Triple H

6) Chris Masters

7) Carlito

8) Trevor Murdoch

9) Shelton Benjamin

10) Viscera

11) Chavo Guerrero

SMACKDOWN SUPERSTARS

1) Chris Benoit

2) Rey Mysterio

3) Randy Orton

4) Matt Hardy

5) Orlando Jordan

6) Lashley

7) Sylvan

8) Road Warrior Animal

9) Johnny Nitro

10) Joey Mercury

11) Simon Dean

Lots of dead weight in there, but also plenty of possibilities for the winner.

I figure that Smackdown will round itself out with

Kash, Daivari, Crazy, Psicosis and Undertaker. Although it's possible JBL and Boogeyman do double duty. I think Booker T being "injured" (weather its still kayfabe or legit) shouldn't be involved and should have a cameo appearence backstage, or something like him selling his spot to someone.

Raw probably rounds off with

Helms, Snitsky, Coach (in the semi-annual comedy spot involving announcer) Flair and Venis.

I like that line-up... Back in the day they filled it up with total nobodies, and we all kinda knew who was gonna win. Now they've got a lot of decent guys in there. I think the Royal Rumble is the real winner of the brand split.

I do think Van Dam has a chance of winning the Royal Rumble, only for the fact that they have hyped up his return in the match for the last month. Even if he doesn't win, I do see him in the ring as one of the last few people.

But yeah, the most realistic options are Triple H, Rey, and Orton.

Too much filler. No reason to have JBL/Boogey on the show when they could just interact in the Rumble match and face off at NWO. There's four spots left for SD (maybe two because I believe Psicosis/Crazy are in?) and that's with no Taker, Finlay, Booker, JBL, Boogeyman, or Regal.

RAW side is a lot better, but still no Flair. Hopefully he gets added.

Too much filler. No reason to have JBL/Boogey on the show when they could just interact in the Rumble match and face off at NWO. There's four spots left for SD (maybe two because I believe Psicosis/Crazy are in?) and that's with no Taker, Finlay, Booker, JBL, Boogeyman, or Regal.

RAW side is a lot better, but still no Flair. Hopefully he gets added.

Booker isn't needed for the rumble and he could easily be used in a back-stage skit, Finlay just "debuted", Regal is hardly a smackdown regular anyways.

I was kind of surprised that JBL isn't going to be in the rumble because for some reason, i had a feeling he would draw #1 and last a long time in the rumble.

Guest Rrrsh

I say Taker, Finley, London and Spanky. We need two guys to get murdered. JBL jacks Simon Dean from his spot at the show, as well

I heard Coach at a house show said he was entering. I say Helms Tomko and Cade are all out cuz they lost to Vis on Heat. I could see the others being Snitsky, Coach, Flair and some comedy angle that sees one of the Heart Throbs enter and exit in like 6 seconds

I say Taker, Finley, London and Spanky. We need two guys to get murdered. JBL jacks Simon Dean from his spot at teh show, as well

JBL should walk around after his "match" with Boogeyman, trying to buy spots from the lowly jobbers but no one will give it up until Simon Dean notices this, grabs his bag and offers to sell his spot in the rumble if JBL buys a years worth of his product.

JBL is reluctant to do this but he gives in and Simon hands him the card with his #, and JBL looks down and is pissed as Simon does a quick chuckle and runs.

We find out that JBL brought the #1 spot.