TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest FromBeyondTheGrave

OAO Royal Rumble Thread Jan/29th/06

^Taker vs. Angle is for No Way Out.^

They've already been advertising it.

Angle vs. Rey as the WM main event is gonna be fucking sweet. Their Summerslam match 4 years ago was fucking great. Plus, if Rey wins it, he'll be the 5th member of the SD6 to win a world title.

Rey isn't fighting Angle for the title at WM. It's going to be Angle v Orton

That doesn't make any sense.

Orton beats Rey for his title shot at NWO would set it up, but I have no idea why Rey would logically put his shot on the line against Orton unless Orton uses Eddie to piss Rey off enough and goad him into it...but then that would make Rey look dumb.

Given Meltzer's comments and that Booker T still owes Orton favor, some how Orton will get a match against Rey at No Way Out for the WM title shot and Booker will interfere to cost Rey the match to repay Orton. Now how they'll come up with an angle where Rey would be stupid enough to put his title shot on the line against Orton I'm not sure.

Orton will claim Rey's son as his own, duh.

Well, the Cruiser match was much better than I expected. I was really shocked that JBL jobbed in something like 3 minutes, clean. The women's match sucked. I thought Edge-Cena was decent, but the result was really disappointing. I guess it's safe to say they only put the title on Edge in an attempt to revive Cena's fanbase? I can't believe Mark Henry wrestled the last match on a major PPV.

I thought the Rumble match was decent, but nowhere near as good as the past two, or even possibly three going back to 2003. I know it's been said, but Rey's going overboard with his dedication to Eddie. He seemed like an afterthought in the match as well. Goldust's elimination was laughable, as RVD kicked him into the ropes, and then Goldust apparently decided to jump over and out. RVD didn't do anything meaningful either.

I was thrilled to see a "I came to see Steve Blackman" sign in the front row, however.

In regards if they do decide to screw Mysterio over in regards to the Wrestlemania title shot in favor of Orton, here is the smark worst case scenario:

RKO will bitch or find some way to get a No 1. contender's match.

It becomes Randy vs. Rey at No Way Out

Orton wins when Booker finally pays back the favor and interferes.

Creative will lamely make it up to Mysterio with a US Title match against Booker at Wrestlemania.

Mysterio wins, with some dedication to Eddie which won't seem to be worth all that much.

We'll be stuck with Angle vs. Orton in the main.

But just speculation on my part.

Undertaker has to fit into the scenario somewhere though.

They should have just had Orton win the fucking RR if they're going to do that. The only thing that would prove is that even if you lose the Royal Rumble, you can still get to the main event at WM ahead of the guy who eliminated you. Something like that would severely cripple the importance of the actual Rumble match, and it's something that is just stupid enough for the WWE to do.

I don't see Angle vs. Orton happening though. I can't imagine them having both title matches be Face defending against Heel.

In regards if they do decide to screw Mysterio over in regards to the Wrestlemania title shot in favor of Orton, here is the smark worst case scenario:

RKO will bitch or find some way to get a No 1. contender's match.

It becomes Randy vs. Rey at No Way Out

Orton wins when Booker finally pays back the favor and interferes.

Creative will lamely make it up to Mysterio with a US Title match against Booker at Wrestlemania.

Mysterio wins, with some dedication to Eddie which won't seem to be worth all that much.

We'll be stuck with Angle vs. Orton in the main.

But just speculation on my part.

Undertaker has to fit into the scenario somewhere though.

They should have just had Orton win the fucking RR if they're going to do that. The only thing that would prove is that even if you lose the Royal Rumble, you can still get to the main event at WM ahead of the guy who eliminated you. Something like that would severely cripple the importance of the actual Rumble match, and it's something that is just stupid enough for the WWE to do.

I don't see Angle vs. Orton happening though. I can't imagine them having both title matches be Face defending against Heel.

I'm still assuming a bit of a worse case scenario, that being Henry vs. Undertaker at WM XXII, with the idea mentioned earlier about Henry interfering in the Taker/Angle match at NWO.

Guest Princess Leena
Orton beats Rey for his title shot at NWO would set it up, but I have no idea why Rey would logically put his shot on the line against Orton unless Orton uses Eddie to piss Rey off enough and goad him into it...but then that would make Rey look dumb.

Or, HHH could do so. His comments towards Rey about Eddie could set this up...

Let me ask you guys this: Why the fuck would you go to all this goofy trouble of having Rey win the Rumble, put his shot on the line, have a Booker run in, shit all over your fans....to have RANDY FUCKING ORTON get a WM main event payday? Doesn't that seem a bit....retarded? The way Angle was playing heelish tonight and is going to be heel vs. UT makes me think it's still him vs. Rey. Cause I don't get it otherwise.

Another reason it's idiotic is that it's a huge insult and a bait and switch, and it renders the Rumble itself a meaningless match.

Ah well, at least RVD finished in the Final 4. Guys who finish 4th tend to do well in the future it seems like. Gee, I wonder if Cena will tag with RVD now so he can leech off his heat too?

God I feel sorry awful for Edge now. Let's put the blame where it truly lies here: HHH. You know he couldn't stand another heel being on top and also drawing ratings. Thus in one felt swoop tonight Edge looked like a total jobber and a fluke champion, thus killing his career forever, HHH gets to go to WM against Cena and regain his belt (thus killing Cena's heat too, not that he has any).

I'm telling you, after Cena jobs in a Backlash rematch Raw is basically going to be left with RVD as the only guy getting any real face reaction. That would be around the time of One Night Stand too.

^Taker vs. Angle is for No Way Out.^

They've already been advertising it.

Angle vs. Rey as the WM main event is gonna be fucking sweet. Their Summerslam match 4 years ago was fucking great. Plus, if Rey wins it, he'll be the 5th member of the SD6 to win a world title.

Rey isn't fighting Angle for the title at WM. It's going to be Angle v Orton

That doesn't make any sense.

From a booking stand-point I don't understand it. Orton's god-push evaporated shortly after Survivor Series. Between playing Undertaker's bitch all year, jobbing clean to Benoit last week, and becoming Booker T's errand boy, they certainly didn't instill the fans with confidence that he should be the guy main eventing the biggest show of the year. They could be going for a "boo me because I totally don't deserve to be in this spot" type of heat, but has that ever really worked to get a guy over? And who backstage honestly still believes that Randy Orton is suddenly at the level necessary to be main eventing?

From a booking stand-point I don't understand it. Orton's god-push evaporated shortly after Survivor Series. Between playing Undertaker's bitch all year, jobbing clean to Benoit last week, and becoming Booker T's errand boy, they certainly didn't instill the fans with confidence that he should be the guy main eventing the biggest show of the year. They could be going for a "boo me because I totally don't deserve to be in this spot" type of heat, but has that ever really worked to get a guy over? And who backstage honestly still believes that Randy Orton is suddenly at the level necessary to be main eventing?

The same guys that think Eddie Guerrero's memory deserved a Royal Rumble victory an hour before the PPV was over, and that the fans were just DYING to see Cena title reign 2.0 just after booing the fucking guy out of every building for months.

Why wouldn't Rey just go to RAW for a shot if they're doing Orton vs Angle?

In two words and a symbol: HHH/Cena.

Let me ask you guys this: Why the fuck would you go to all this goofy trouble of having Rey win the Rumble, put his shot on the line, have a Booker run in, shit all over your fans....to have RANDY FUCKING ORTON get a WM main event payday? Doesn't that seem a bit....retarded? The way Angle was playing heelish tonight and is going to be heel vs. UT makes me think it's still him vs. Rey. Cause I don't get it otherwise.

In the words of Konnan.."Does this make Logic?"

Yes, but remember we're dealing with the WWE, who live in their own little world. What makes sense to the WWE doesn't always make sense to the general population.

I swear it seems like they are incapable of thinking outside the box. They are so hell bent on pushing certain guys without rhyme or reason or fan acceptance. I have no idea where these Orton rumors come from, but him vs. Angle at WM has literally no fan interest (if they do it, which I think is idiotic) and also no one to really cheer for since Angle isn't exactly a face. Certainly not after him doing heelish tactics tonight and certain to play heel vs. UT.

As I said, literally the only reason to put the title back on Cena is to appease HHH. Cena to me is now just about as big of a lame duck loser as Edge, since he's going to get trashed again by fans. For one thing there was no build to his win tonight. It was the semi main and frankly I took that as meaning he was going to job so they could end the evening with Angle's win. Also, given the stuff Edge said about not being a transition champion, and the Rumble ads proclaiming "The Rated R Superstar's reign begins!" makes me think this was some last minute HHH conniving.

I have a feeling they might give RVD his lame duck title run this year, say have him win a MITB at WM and then cash it in at One Night Stand, then just job back to HHH at Summerslam. He and Edge can feud over who was the bigger transition joke after that.

Am I the only person who was only watching Raw because of Edge winning the title? Seriously, fuck Raw. I have absolutely no interest any more.

See you guys on the Smackdown thread next Friday.

If they are set on HHH/Cena at Mania, they might as well try and book another double turn during that match because if they dont, that is what it's going to end up being like anyway as I'm pretty sure the crowd is going to shit on Cena again pretty soon with him champ. Pretty ironic there is even a situation like this considering the time and the fact that Austin/Bret's double turn was at the last Mania in Chicago. Kind of a cool possibility there if they want to do it - and like I said, will likely have to anyway or else Cena is just going to be completely buried. Not too excited about it but could be cool or at least draw some logic into WHY they have to do this.

Surprised by some of the results tonight, could go alot of different ways but judging by what Meltzer said about the winner not even being in a ME position at Mania, I'm thinking Rey will be jobbing to Orton next month at NWO. If thats true and Rey doesnt get put in AT LEAST one of the title matches as a third wheel in a triple threat match, it's really unfortunate to treat the Rumble as such an afterthought of sorts.

Edge v. Hogan now at Mania? Rey v. RVD in a MITB match w/ others? Shane v. HBK?

Here's the thing with the idea of Rey/Orton at NWO...

If Orton were to beat Rey, he would probably want to help Angle defeat UT for the sake of not having to face him again at WM for the belt. That doesn't make much sense at all.

That kind of scenario would more likely set up Angle vs. Orton vs. UT....and I don't think anybody wants that.

I'd rather see Rey just keep the title shot through all of this.

According to the ratings since Edge won the title, no.

Like I said before, they've made a huge mistake. If Cena is booed once again, I see them turning HHH face and Cena heel, and just going with that.

Rey v. RVD in a MITB match w/ others?

Rey vs. RVD has been on my wishlist for years right below HBK vs. Eddie. Too bad we never got that one.

Royal Rumble 2006: One step forward, Ten giant steps backwards.

Fixed.

Sounds like the whole PPV sucked. After Final Resolution being dissapointing for finishes, I'm glad I decided to watch the UNC/Duke Women's game instead.

Guest nokia

HEY....

I called HELMS winning the cruiser weight title.....!!

See top of page 7 for proof....

"Edge was said to be very upset backstage at the Royal Rumble when he found out he would be dropping the WWE Title back to John Cena. Upset in the sense of being distraught, not angry. Edge was said to be in such bad shape over it that Vince McMahon pulled Edge into his office privately to assure him that they weren't going to give up on him. Edge was upset that his lifelong dream lasted only 3 weeks."

Meltzer on the LAW:

They did a "fake crowd shot" when Cena won because they were afraid of showing the real crowd since they were booing Cena.

WWE doesn't want Edge to be a strong heel because then he's a threat to HHH.

Rey vs. Angle isn't happening, it's Orton vs. Angle. At least that's the plan.

Boogeyman winning is a sign of the '80s cartoon gimmick coming back. There's going to be a bunch of new gimmicks, including a 50's style gimmick for Deuce Domino, a roller-skating waitress, a "Fidel Castro" gimmick, and a "Brother Love incarnate" gimmick.

Meltzer on the LAW:

They did a "fake crowd shot" when Cena won because they were afraid of showing the real crowd since they were booing Cena.

Boogeyman winning is a sign of the '80s cartoon gimmick coming back. There's going to be a bunch of new gimmicks, including a 50's style gimmick for Deuce Domino, a roller-skating waitress, a "Fidel Castro" gimmick, and a "Brother Love incarnate" gimmick.

I'm not sure which of these four stories I should be the most depressed about.

Meltzer on the LAW:

Why do I even bother.

You know what guys, this reminds me of WCW more than just about anything else that they've ever done. Not just what happened tonight, but the possible plans leading up to Wrestlemania as well. I don't think WWE is going to die, or any of that shit, I'm just saying...it's all very WCW-like.

Edge has been with the company a long time. When he was the champ Cena was actually getting cheers, ratings were up, and him winning the title was the first thing worth talking about in a while. He did everything a champ is supposed to do.

Sometimes it's just so simple - give the fans what they want. The fans like Rey, they don't care for Orton. The fans don't like Cena any more. Whatever happened to "the customer is always right."

They had a good thing going with Edge as champ.

Really the best thing here would be for Edge to be in a match at WM with Cena and win clean. Everyone would mark out all over again. I think that's a match people would actually want to see. (Especially if edge won) HHH vs Cena? NOBODY wants to see that.

But Cena is the WWE's boy for some reason, even though he isn't over any more.