TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Epic Reine

Movies that didn't warrant a sequal

There are a lot of movies out there that didn't deserve a freakin' sequal but they got one anyway because America is stupid.

XXX

Underworld

Fast & Furious

Any others?

The one that sticks out for me most was Barbershop. Some of the best characters aren't even in number 2.

Most of the straight to video Disney stuff. It is just reverse of the original (Little Mermaid 2, Lady and the Tramp 2 and the lot).

I don't think Cheaper by the Dozen needed one, although I haven't seen the sequel to be fair.

I was kinda disappointed in Transporter 2. I just thought the first one was so awesome, I was a little let down when I saw the new one.

How about "Deuce Bigelow: Male Gigolo's" sequel "Deuce Bigelow: European Gigolo"? I remember reading somewhere that it got a review of zero stars on a scale of 1-10. Ridiculously bad sequel to a movie most people hated and the rest only tolerate. Why does Rob Schneider keep getting movies made? (Other than the obvious relationship with Adam Sandler.)

Guest Greg Valentine

The worst sequels to me are generally comedies. Aside from the Austin Powers series, which I really enjoy, it's mainly mailed-in performances to make some extra cash. Stuff like Whole Ten Yards, Analyze That, Caddyshack II etc.

The one that sticks out for me most was Barbershop. Some of the best characters aren't even in number 2.

like who? only ones I can think of are Keith David, Anthony Anderson and Larenz Tate's brother? did you mean them? Tate and Anderson were kinda insignificant to the movie.

Edited by Black Lushus

Matrix

Legally Blonde

Miss Congeniality

I Know What You Did Last Summer

Mortal Kombat

Final Destination

Shrek

The Ring

Free Willy

Speed

Dr. Dolittle

Big Momma's House

Rush Hour

Tomb Raider

Blair Witch

Flintstones

Dumb and Dumber

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Just off the top of my head.

Guest Vitamin X

Yes, yes it was. It fell in the Austin Powers trap of doing the exact same thing only with a different setting.

Dumb and Dumber certainly didn't need a prequel where the funniest thing in it is Bob Saget's couple of appearances. I dont even think a sequel with Carrey and Daniels would have been as good as the first.

Heres just a small sampling of the sequels coming out this year that aren't needed:

January

Big Momma's House 2 (especially if this is the only reason Shelton Benjamin's mama showed up..

February

Dr. Dolittle 3 (doesn't even have Eddie Murphy in it..go figure that out)

Final Destination 3 (this franchise could keep going on and on if they wanted..)

March

Basic Instinct 2 (has there been anyone for the last 14 years going "damn, I want a sequel to this!")

April

Scary Movie 4 (I think they've run this into the ground enough? No doubt they'll also be running the Date Movie spoof "Date Movie" which comes out in March into the ground as well..)

May

MI 3 (lets give Tom Cruise another month of publicity time to embarass himself)

June

The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (ooh, Japanese Drift Racing...)

Garfield 2 (By far the biggest offender of all on this list..the original barely did well and they go and make a sequel. I think Jim Davis is a whore..)

September

Jackass 2 (And here I thought Johnny Knoxville was trying to break away to be more coughseriouscough actor..)

October

The Grudge 2 (The remake of the Grudge was the most boring movie I saw in at least 5 years..)

Saw 3 (I liked Saw, and even though I havent seen Saw 2, i cant imagine a Saw 3 being needed..)

November

The Santa Clause 3 (This will probably do well despite its premise.."Tim Allen returns as Scott Calvin AKA Santa Clause, whose son Charlie is now living with him up a the North Pole. Scott must keep control over Christmas when the evil Jack Frost tries to take the holiday over for his own.")

Im cutting a few sequels a break just because I dont mind them (Ice Age 2, X Men 3, Superman Returns, Pirates of the Carribean 2) and I dont even wanna get started on all of the remakes..that could be a whole other thread..

WAIT

And the worse of all is 2001. There was NO FUCKIN REASON for a sequel to that movie. You can't pay me to see 2010.

But the book 2010 and I think 3001 as well came before the movies...IIRC.

WAIT

And the worse of all is 2001. There was NO FUCKIN REASON for a sequel to that movie. You can't pay me to see 2010.

...the movie was an adaptation of the book. There are 4 books in the series, 2001, 2010, 2061, and 3001.

btw, Stuart Little

like who? only ones I can think of are Keith David, Anthony Anderson and Larenz Tate's brother? did you mean them? Tate and Anderson were kinda insignificant to the movie.

Yeah, Tate and Anderson were two of my favorites... I know they weren't that huge of a deal in the first one, but I held a grudge against them not being in it. Others I talked to felt the same way. I REALLY liked the first one though, the second one was just kinda there and cheapened the first one for the people who hadn't seen it yet.

WAIT

But the book 2010 and I think 3001 as well came before the movies...IIRC.

2010 was written before its movie came out, 2061 was published in 1986, and 3001 was published in 1997. 2001 was actually written at the same time as its own script, which is what lead to the book/movie difference of the planet near which the monolith was being Saturn in the book.

Basic Instinct 2 (has there been anyone for the last 14 years going "damn, I want a sequel to this!")

This got me thinking of a Bill Hicks routine from the early 90s when Basic Instinct was still a hot topic.

"If I'd been in that test audience [for Basic Instinct], the only person outside protesting would be Michael Douglas wanting his part put back in the film.

'Hey, I was in that movie!'

'Well, I saw the titles, Sharon Stone eating some woman's cooch for 90 minutes, and then the credits. Never saw you."

Yeah, Tate and Anderson were two of my favorites... I know they weren't that huge of a deal in the first one, but I held a grudge against them not being in it. Others I talked to felt the same way. I REALLY liked the first one though, the second one was just kinda there and cheapened the first one for the people who hadn't seen it yet.

I didn't like all the segues into Cedric's character's past...they just seemed so odd and unnecessary.

There is no Dr. Dolittle 3

Dr. Dolitte 3 - Release Date February 17th, 2006

Director: Rich Thorne

Writter: Nina Colman

Starring: John Amos, Kristen Wilson, Raven Symone, Kyla Pratt, Chelan Simmons, Zane Copeland Jr., Bruce Willis, Andy Richter

Studio: 20th Century Fox

Rated: PG for some crude humor and language

Synopsis:

Lisa Dolittle sends her daughter to 'Durango', a Dude Ranch, to find herself. While there, she uses her talent to talk to the animals in order to save Durango from being taken over by a neighboring Ranch.

----

Starring: John Amos, Kristen Wilson, Raven Symone, Kyla Pratt, Chelan Simmons, Zane Copeland Jr., Bruce Willis, Andy Richter

Synopsis:

Lisa Dolittle sends her daughter to 'Durango', a Dude Ranch, to find herself. While there, she uses her talent to talk to the animals in order to save Durango from being taken over by a neighboring Ranch.

----

There's nothing at imdb or the Fox site.

Synopsis:

----

There's nothing at imdb or the Fox site.

Dr. Dolittle 3 on IMDB

I hate to say it, but it was like the 3rd result in a google search for Doctor Dolittle 3.

Yes, there is a Dr. Dolittle 3, but unfortunately its not getting a theatrical release (FOX decided to go direct to video with it after Murphy opted out). That part I did not know..but that doesn't save it from the fact that it has been made and will be released next month.

Fox probably doesn't have a page on it for obvious reasons.