TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Young

MVP 06 NCAA Baseball

MVP 06 NCAA Baseball is, shockingly enough, set to be released on the 18th of January. I had no idea it was coming out in a week. As someone who loved MVP 2005 and loathed MLB 2K5, I had high hopes for this game despite its lack of the MLB license. Now, however, I am a little worried.

I got my February issue of EGM yesterday (#200) and they reviewed this game. While I'm too lazy to transcribe the reviews, the game was given scores of 5.5, 8.0, and 6.5 out of 10. The main problems cited are the new analog batting and fielding systems, wherein you throw the ball and swing the bat via the right analog stick. According to EGM, the concept is great (which I agree with) but the execution is less than satisfactory.

Thankfully, we have the option to revert to the MVP 05 controls, but I just don't see how I could justify paying full price for this. It's been rumored to retail for $30, so if I can get it for $20, possibly via the Best Buy $10 off coupon, I may buy it. I'll be renting first, though.

Guest Princess Leena

Eh. Might not bother getting this at all, then. Any games where you need to precisely use the analog sticks will end up annoying you... because the sticks will get off-centered, and force you to throw things.

Guest Princess Leena

Tiger Woods is another one where it gets annoying, though.

Every once in a while, my right thumbstick goes goofy... which leads to OB drive due to a massive hook/slice.

When someone gets this, tell me who the "power teams" in the game are.

If LSU is considered to be one of the power teams, I might be interested in it.

(LSU's baseball program, and the SEC in general, are rather powerful, with the Tigers winning 5 championships over the course of 10 years in the 90s and early 2000s.

They've regressed a bit, though, since their coach retired to become the school's athletics director and one of his assistants took over.)

OT: But I was surprised when I found out that 2k sports was actually going to release MLB 2k6 on the Gamecube. I was thinking this was going to be my only new option for a baseball game this year which would have me passing on it. Im probably still going to pass on 2k6 (early bad reviews) but anyway..

I absolutely hate this fucking war by Sega and EA. MVP 05 and NFL 2K5 were my 2 favourite games of all-time and they cant have sequels cause both companies gobbled up the rights respectively on each other.

I absolutely hate this fucking war by Sega and EA. MVP 05 and NFL 2K5 were my 2 favourite games of all-time and they cant have sequels cause both companies gobbled up the rights respectively on each other.

I absolutely agree, in the context of best games ever in their respective genres, not overall. I just hope that 2K's MLB series is a lot better than last year's incarnation. Their other sports series are stellar.

I'm getting this still. If the only thing wrong is the right stick shit then turn it off. It's an option like the QB vision in Madden which I have now mastered and sorta like. Plus I've seen a few previews where the guys have loved the right analog stick usage so I guess it just comes down to if you are going to be able to use it.

But I've been waiting for 10 years or more for a college baseball game over the god awful MLB shit (sorry, it's even more boring in video game form) and 30 bucks isn't nothing. Especially when someone else is buying it for you (swish).

Guest Princess Leena

Yes, you can turn the right stick off... but, if it plays the same as MVP 05 then... why buy this?

After playing for about three hours, I'm enjoying it. It's difficult even on the easy setting, course this could be because I am using Seton Hall and they royally suck.

Haven't tried the hit stick yet as I'm still getting a feel for the hitting period (haven't played EA baseball in three years) but I have been using the new precision throwing and it's challenging but still good. I haven't mastered turning the double play but I can tell it's something I'll like with use. Just easier to make the throws this way. I wonder how much different it would be with a great team because with a suck team, it's a little bit of a pain.

So far I'd say it's worth the 30 bucks and the dynasty mode has been fun although recruiting is gonna be a major pain in the ass.

The announcers get annoying (I've heard "That ball hit the catcher" about 20 times a game) but after awhile you just ignore them anyway. You get your choice of three different hitting styles: Classic, Load and Fire, Zone swinging. For now, I'm using the good ole classic until I get a feel for it but I can already tell the load and fire isn't going to be that difficult to use.

If you are iffy about what to spend money on, rent because it might not be for you. If you want a college baseball game, it doesn't have any serious bugs I've seen, the fielders do not make errors left and right (apparently that reviewer just sucked at baseball games) and overall it's very solid for a first time effort.

The announcers get annoying (I've heard "That ball hit the catcher" about 20 times a game) but after awhile you just ignore them anyway. You get your choice of three different hitting styles: Classic, Load and Fire, Zone swinging. For now, I'm using the good ole classic until I get a feel for it but I can already tell the load and fire isn't going to be that difficult to use.

You know the bad annoucers is always been a case with EA. I haven't heard a EA game without annyoing annoucers in quite some time.

What's this zone swinging? I'm assuming classic is just hitting a button while tilting the left analog stick.

Is the right thumbstick still used to dive and lunge for balls or did they do away with that because of the new throwing mechanic?

What's this zone swinging? I'm assuming classic is just hitting a button while tilting the left analog stick.

Is the right thumbstick still used to dive and lunge for balls or did they do away with that because of the new throwing mechanic?

Zone hitting is like classic cept you have to use the left analog to pick the spot the ball is coming for the best contact, so yeah what you said. Unlike in classic where you uppercut to go for the homer, with zone hitting you also have to hit L1 as well.

Diving and jumping are still done with the right analog and the fielders will not make lunges at the ball when near them sometimes. Be aware though, when they do this they are gonna be off-balance and that throw isn't gonna look pretty.

The one major noticable flaw I see so far is slowdown while pitching and when hitting with bases loaded. The slowdown is HORRIBLE when hitting with bases loaded.

The one major noticable flaw I see so far is slowdown while pitching and when hitting with bases loaded. The slowdown is HORRIBLE when hitting with bases loaded.

I've had it happen once or twice, not all the time. Seems like one of those things they'll have worked out by the second game when they add the other conferences.

Thanks Matt. I just picked up this game myself. The $30 price tag was too much to resist. I was worried it would lack local teams, but the game includes Villanova, Bucknell, Penn State, Lehigh and Lafayette. That'll keep me satisfied for a while.

No problem, Al, but this would be better actually. You can download the rosters here:

http://forums.operationsports.com/v...426#post2154426

First and formost, I would like to personally thank everyone who helped make this roster possible, whether you helped name players, or just helped in general. Also, if you take the time to download the file, please take the time to thank the people listed below who stepped up and made this happen.

NCAA XBOX COMMUNITY ROSTER STATUS REPORT

Conference - Status

ACC - completed by LikwidG

Big 12 - completed by cubsfan203

Big East - Completed by smurface and bronxct1

Big Ten - completed by LikwidG and cubsfan203

Big West - completed by cubsfan203

Conf USA - completed by cubsfan203

MVC - completed by Likwid G

Mtn West - completed by cubsfan203

Pac 10 - completed by nwbaseball78 and LikwidG

Patriot - completed by goillini03

SEC - completed by 21SEC and cubsfan203

Sun Belt - completed by cubsfan203 and isd71

WAC - completed by Hack22

WCC - completed by ejstory3 and cubsfan203

These rosters are easily 99% accurate, but by no means are they perfect. If you find any players with wrong names or are spelt incorrectly, either start up a corrections thread or send me a PM. Hopefully we'll get a version two out in a couple of weeks or so with all players correct.

If the only reason you are reading this thread is to try to steal these rosters and claim them as your own, you might as well stop now. I made some VERY minor edits to some of the worst players on random teams that you won't be able to spot, to keep people from stealing all of the hard work that went into these.

So, now, my fellow Operation Sports members, it's time to party... or just end it with a lame rhyme that I thought of in two seconds.

Grab a beer, tell a friend, because OS has done it again. (told you it was lame)

I'm out y'all. I would like to try these out myself, but damn I'm tired. I think I'll take a quick nap, so I hope to come back to a few thank yous.

Enjoy,

cubsfan203 (or if you prefer, Tom)

404 Error. No matter though. I don't have a drive or adaptor to input the rosters to my game anyway. I'm happy enough editing the best/familiar players. Once you get to the netherlands of the talent pool, what does it matter to change the name of a player when you won't recognize the new name anyway? Especially when it all becomes a moot point four years into your dynasty. It's ok for others, but it won't enhance my gameplay any.

I am enjoying this game. The NCAA license gives a new dimension to gameplay and really changes up the game from the same old routine of the MLB games. I kicked off a dynasty with Lehigh University, lost the first two games to Georgia Tech, but rebounded with two wins at Tennessee. My only problem is that my first-string catcher is injured, and I don't see a way to acquire a new backup.

Create-a-school is disappointing, but EA has done a great job with create-a-ballpark. The outfield walls are fully adjustable, which is what most players want mostly. You can also use any of the outfield dimensions of the existing MLB parks.

The big issue is that it takes the PS2 some convincing to read the game disc at start-up. I have a first generation PS2, but it has not been trashed or anything. Is this a common problem?

404 Error. No matter though. I don't have a drive or adaptor to input the rosters to my game anyway. I'm happy enough editing the best/familiar players. Once you get to the netherlands of the talent pool, what does it matter to change the name of a player when you won't recognize the new name anyway? Especially when it all becomes a moot point four years into your dynasty. It's ok for others, but it won't enhance my gameplay any.

I did it for my team but that's it. You're right, four years in and it won't matter at all. One thing is the game hasn't been using the recognized names of my guys. It's like the announcers will stop talking. It's odd but I'll wait until I recruit to see if it's an actual serious bug or what

I am enjoying this game. The NCAA license gives a new dimension to gameplay and really changes up the game from the same old routine of the MLB games. I kicked off a dynasty with Lehigh University, lost the first two games to Georgia Tech, but rebounded with two wins at Tennessee. My only problem is that my first-string catcher is injured, and I don't see a way to acquire a new backup.

Did you try creating one? I haven't but that might work. Go into team management and see if it lets you.

The big issue is that it takes the PS2 some convincing to read the game disc at start-up. I have a first generation PS2, but it has not been trashed or anything. Is this a common problem?

Not for me. It might be your first generation is having that little first gen meltdown that most of them eventually had or a disc thing.

The disc is working better now that I've played it a few times.

As for creating a catcher, I could probably do that, but it seems like a cheat of sort. Can you add a player by redshirting a freshman? I'm not entirely familiar with that system. My first-string catcher only missed two weeks though, so it's not a big deal.

The disc is working better now that I've played it a few times.

As for creating a catcher, I could probably do that, but it seems like a cheat of sort. Can you add a player by redshirting a freshman? I'm not entirely familiar with that system. My first-string catcher only missed two weeks though, so it's not a big deal.

The guy comes in as a 50 for contact and power if you set his potential at full strength. You can just sent him as a 2 or 3 star and only have him active when you need him.

So you can create him, play him till your catcher comes back from injury and then deactive him through roster status. You won't be getting this awesome player, just a walk on stand in.

You know the bad annoucers is always been a case with EA. I haven't heard a EA game without annyoing annoucers in quite some time.

Something about Buck Martinez's voice on the EA games rubs me the wrong way. He grinds like nails on a chalkboard.

What sucks is that they don't have the college games for the PC. They haven't had them in years.

Guest Princess Leena

I've never understood the lack of the NCAA football series for PC. The game would definitely sell.

I had mentioned this in a discussion one day with my manager at work. He said he e-mailed EA Sports about a lack of NCAA football and basketball for the PC. He said they responded by telling him there wasn't a market for it and they make more money off the NBA and Madden games.

Guest Princess Leena

That's a stupid answer. Of course, Madden will always sell better. But, a lot of people buy NCAA just to get the draft classes for Madden. It's probably just due to EA always being lazy with the PC versions.

With college basketball, he's likely right, though. As much as I love the College Hoops series, they've never sold well.