TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Brian

UFC Ultimate Fight Night 3

THE BIGGEST ANNOUNCEMENT EVER!!!!!1111 would have to be a Grand Prix with PRIDE on live free tv up against Wrestlemania at the MSG or the Staples Center in California. If its something like we got a better timeslot on Spike tv or UFC has signed a contract with Bob Sap then it would be a total letdown.

I agree with Rudo; I'd say a monthly live show is pretty huge, as UFC has never had that kind of exposure on cable and shows how much faith Spike has in them to go against WWE (since I assume the shows will mostly be on Mondays)

No way in hell would Sapp sign with UFC. He'd get paid chump change in UFC compared to what he makes for K-1.

I expect the announcement to be something lame, like Snipes vs. Rogan, optimistically speaking however, I think it could also be a comeback fighter though I won't go out on a limb and guess who.

Potential spoiler I guess

MMAWeekly.com has learned there is a potential for three substantial announcements at this show. It is unknown if there will be one announcement tonight or three.

1. MMAWeekly.com has learned that Royce Gracie has been seen in Las Vegas today and according to a few Gracie supporters, he is all set to face Matt Hughes in the UFC main event in May. It looks as though the match will take place at the 175 pound weight class in a non-title fight. According to the Nevada State Athletic Commission rules, Gracie will not be able to fight with a gi, a non-title fight would be three five minute rounds, which means Gracie would not be able to institute any special rules like he received in his last fight in K1 because of the Nevada State rules.

2. MMAWeekly.com has had various reports confirmed that the UFC will indeed debut for the first time in California. This event will most likely take place at Staples Center most likely in April. Some final negotiations are taking place, so look for an official announcement soon.

3. There is talk that the 155-pound division will make a comeback but it seems that it would happen no earlier than June. Still the UFC could have a tournament style format to crown a new champion spread out over a few shows or they could just bring two fighters back to fight for the title. While the tournament style is something the UFC said they wouldn't do, they could have a series of single fights spread out over a period of time to create a 155-pound champion.

Of the three things listed above, the fight between Gracie and Hughes seems like the sure fire bet for tonight. It doesn't mean there won't be more things coming, but from the reports that MMAWeekly has obtained, look for the fight to be the main announcement tonight.

Guest Brian
What fights are being shown live tonight? Its not the entire card is it?

Tim Sylvia vs. Assuerio Silva

Stephan Bonnar vs. James Irvin

Josh Burkman vs. Drew Fickett

Chris Leben vs. Jorge Rivera

Those four will get on, and I doubt anything else. I think Leben/Rivera is going to go the distance unless Leben gets cut, and probably the other fights will make it out of the first.

Fuck elbows. If they keep the elbows, they should just allow head stomps and knees/kicks to head on the ground. I'm sure more guys have gone to the hospital for elbow cuts than from head stomps and the like.

Does everybody in the UFC have to have some lame ass nickname? "Natural" and "Iceman" are cool but Mike "Quick" Swick? Tim "Maine-iac Sylvia"? Either get more creative or don't use a nickname.

Guest Brian
Fuck elbows. If they keep the elbows, they should just allow head stomps and knees/kicks to head on the ground. I'm sure more guys have gone to the hospital for elbow cuts than from head stomps and the like.

I think the long-term medical risks are far worse than the short-term superficial damage, especially when you consider trauma to the spine and the brain in addition to concussions. The beautiful thing about great stitchers is that they can get you healed up and good to go, and scar tissue can be massaged and mostly broken up into your blood if you know what you're doing. One of the big downsides to this sport is that it is still relatively young, and we don't know how people are going to react to that type of trauma four or five times a year, over a five to ten year span. Besides, when you stack on the cage on top of all that where you can easily get pinned up (Mir/Freeman) against the cage and have little give, there's good reasoning for state athletic commissions to ban such things. And concussions also carry greater bans and greater damage. Does it hinder fighter? In some regards, yes. But is it safer? More than likely. And I'd rather fighters live their lives, because I've seen more than enough wrestlers die young already in my life.

Guest Brian

I'm putting the pre-lims in spoilers, just in case you want to go into Unleashes unspoiled or just in case they decide to put something on:

- Jason Von Flue defeated Alex Karalexis by side choke 1:17 into Rd. 3

- Spencer Fisher defeats Aaron Riley, ref/Dr stoppage due to broken jaw 5:00 of Rd. 1

- Duane Ludwig defeats Jonathan Goulet 0:11 of Rd. 1 by KO (punch)

- Josh Neer defeats Melvin Guillard by Triangle Choke at 4:20 of Rd. 1

Does everybody in the UFC have to have some lame ass nickname? "Natural" and "Iceman" are cool but Mike "Quick" Swick? Tim "Maine-iac Sylvia"? Either get more creative or don't use a nickname.

Too bad PRIDE FC has all the good names while UFC has to borrow from Tough Man.

Too bad PRIDE FC has all the good names while UFC has to borrow from Tough Man.

Yeah, really. You know you have a good nickname when you are referred to as it more often thatn your real name; e.g. Rampage Jackson and Mirko Cro Cop.

As for the long-term effects of kicks and knees to the head, you can be kicked and kneed in the head in standup. Wrestlers' deaths are more due to painkillers and drugs with a few exceptions (Andre, Owen, Dino Bravo, Yokozuna), while boxers are more from being in a sport where 95% of the blows land on the head.

Mr. White says "In May, Matt Hughes vs ROYCE GRACIE" I wonder what kind of wacky rules Royce Gracie will demand.

What do you do when two of your least favorite fighters ever face off in what objectively should be a dream match of some sort? Regardless of who wins I want to see GSP stomp the victor for the title.

I want to see Hughes drop Royce on his head a few times. Here's to wishing for more entertaining Matt Hughes interviews mocking Gracie the way he did Trigg.