TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Brian

UFC Ultimate Fight Night 3

According to the Las Vegas State Athletic Commission, Royce can't wear his gi or ask for special rules. Props to Royce for taking the fight, but I think Matt can win this without even taking it to the ground. He is just way too powerful for Royce.

I only see trouble for Matt if he gets in Royce's guard but I'm sure he'll be training to avoid that particular position since Royce is at his best there.

Tim's punches are so slow, no wonder Arlovksi ate him alive.

I would love Ludwig/Leben, despite the disparity in weight. Ludwig would annihilate him because Leben would be too stubborn to take it to the ground.

Guest Retro Rob

Didn't feel like starting a new thread for such a simple question, but how much does a UFC PPV cost?

I think Couture/Liddell III is $40 cause it's all special, most of their shows are $35. I think they are doing monthly PPV's now too.

Overall a good show. Nothing great, but nothing bad. I enjoyed that HW fight way more than I thought I would. Sylvia has to learn to throw combos that extend beyond 2 punches, because if Arlovski was standing there with Silva putting his hands up like that, the fight would have been over quickly. That said, I'd like to see Silva/Arlovski. Not much of a UFC dream, though, considering both guys' English,

Bonnars kimura was sick, though they shouldn't say "expect us to throw down" and not. Post fight interview was great, though. Belfort/Bonnar, make it happen.

Goulet's face slid on the mat. BANG~! Shit, Bang vs. GSP would be hot.

Leben's post fight was great, "I beat him in one". Hey, so did Lee Murray. Murray vs. Leben would be the greatest fight ever. A wet dream for Dana White. I was disappointed in Jorge, but hey, Leben hits hard.

Burkman's good. Damn good.

Whose that Gracie feller? "I built this house" !!!! Fuck yeah. Gracie is going to toooool Hughes. B LEE DAT.

I can never pick against Royce...I watched most all the early formative UFC shows back in the day so hes the best ever as far as Im concerned. Im definitly looking forward to Royce-Hughes.

I was a tad underwhelmed tonight, mostly because all but one fight didn't get out of the first and the one that did (the Silvia-Silva) was too slow and plodding. Silva stunk up the joint, though I would have gone nuts had he gotten that suplex on Tim.

Eh, he landed that one shot that opened that minor cut and hit a couple kicks, but he didn't impress me in the least. Arlovski would have killed him, anyway.

Granted, he's probably going to kill Tim as well but.....

My standards are so low for UFC HW, that I was pretty impressed with Silva performance tonight. You gotta realize that when fighting someone who is 6'7 and 265, who also has good jabs and knows how use his reach advantage, it's gonna be hard to stand and trade with him. Every time Silva threw a leg kick, Silva would throw a straight and would connect. That sucks. How do you fight a guy like that? Silva wouldn't play the guard game like he did with Mir, so that's out. Silva connected with some of his punches like Arlovski (who is taller than Silva) did, but Sylvia didn't go down. I think Silva could have commited to those punches a lil more, gotten more power behind them on the step-in, but I'm amazed that he lasted that long considering most of Sylvias fights stay within the first round. Silva could have done more but he did more than I expected of him, and was effective with his wild overhand rights and bodyshots. I'd like to see him back.

Guest Brian

Does everybody in the UFC have to have some lame ass nickname? "Natural" and "Iceman" are cool but Mike "Quick" Swick? Tim "Maine-iac Sylvia"? Either get more creative or don't use a nickname.

Too bad PRIDE FC has all the good names while UFC has to borrow from Tough Man.

Yeah, really. You know you have a good nickname when you are referred to as it more often thatn your real name; e.g. Rampage Jackson and Mirko Cro Cop.

As for the long-term effects of kicks and knees to the head, you can be kicked and kneed in the head in standup. Wrestlers' deaths are more due to painkillers and drugs with a few exceptions (Andre, Owen, Dino Bravo, Yokozuna), while boxers are more from being in a sport where 95% of the blows land on the head.

I'm not comparing their causes of death, but merely the fact that I've seen too many. More than often long-term constant, and hard, compression to the spine will cause all kinds of problems, not to mention all kinds of neurologies. And then pile on the greater risk of concussions. And then compress that all in a cage, where mobility can be hampered greatly. Rings offer a more neutral environment, where if you're pinned (and you can't get pinned both laterally and vertically) and you get kicked to the head, your body or you neck can move. But when they're left immobile, then you have to deal with all the spine issues. Elbows are better suited for the cage, and they are generally going to provide a more health-friendly environment (unless someone is walking around with AIDS). Serious neck injuries will come when your neck wants to go in a way where something is restricting it, as we've seen with Droz and Austin, and when your neck wants to go back with the blow and to the side and can't, you're rolling the dice. Luckily, most rolls go the right way, but law of averages catches up. There'll be a bad slam at some point that gets someone, and there'll be a bad knockout as well, but when you combine the the two dangerous mobility issues associated, then you up the ante. Scar tissue and stitches > disc compression and neurologies

Arlovski would kill both of them. At the same time. In a tutu. With a dancing dog balancing on top of his head.

I enjoyed the show, love seeing MY BOY get the TKO.

Guest CurryMan

Why is everyone so hyped about Royce - Hughes? Hasn´t everyone seen Royce latest fights? They hasn´t been good, well you can argue that he fought people that styles just didn´t mix. But still does people forget how the latest times a fighter makes a comeback how those fights has been?

The news that UFC is going to run in California is imo bigger then Royce - Hughes.

Why is everyone so hyped about Royce - Hughes? Hasn´t everyone seen Royce latest fights? They hasn´t been good, well you can argue that he fought people that styles just didn´t mix. But still does people forget how the latest times a fighter makes a comeback how those fights has been?

The news that UFC is going to run in California is imo bigger then Royce - Hughes.

Think Hogan vs The Rock - was that match really, truly, great? Not really. But the heat was incredible. This is essentially the UFC's version of this.

I'm admittedly a little worried for Matt, but if Carlos Newton couldn't submit him, and Charuto couldn't (though he came close) there's no way in hell Royce will. Royce isn't known for a great top game, so even if he ends up putting Matt on his back through some miracle, I see Matt being able to survive. There's always that chance, but don't hold out too much for it. Matt's bottom game is only bad if he's mounted as he's willing to give up the rear mount too easily, but his guard is actually pretty good, if you have seen his fight against Sherk specifically.

Jeremy Horn is a lot better than Royce in terms of a submissions guy, and has done it to guys that Royce probably couldn't catch, and since he's been training with Matt for years, this shouldn't cause too many problems for the country boy. So I say Matt will run over Royce. I am still a little scared if only due to the myth Royce created for himself by tapping out the Art Jimmerson's of the world, but logic dictates a beating of epic proportions.

Don't think too hard about it, because even in his prime, Royce wasn't that good. He just happened to be the chosen BJJ representative sent to pwn the early UFC's. The game has evolved past him now, and I expect this massacre to be his swan song (though, I also figured him being unable to beat Tokoro would've been it).

Think Hogan vs The Rock - was that match really, truly, great? Not really. But the heat was incredible. This is essentially the UFC's version of this.

But if Hughes KO's Gracie in 2 minutes it won't really live up to the hype. Had Hogan/Rock been booked to go 5 minutes no one would care and that's the big difference between fixed "dream matches" and legit ones. I don't think anyone has fond memories of seeing Tito Ortiz all but sodomize Ken Shamrock in their first fight, well unless you hate Shamrock, but still there's a lot more potential for something like that than say Bonnar/Griffin.

This fight is supposed to accomplish 2 things for the UFC (from the UFC's perspective).

1. Draw a big buyrate, where current fans and old fans alike will pay to see Royce Gracies return to the octagon.

2. Make Matt Hughes a huge star for beating Royce Gracie

They aren't looking for a great match. They are looking for great money. They can stack the undercard with good fights.

And Royce will pwnd Hughes. Make him tap like a baby.

Also after Matt Hughes walks all over Royce think of the potential matches with the other Gracies. And the eventual cross promotion matchup with PRIDE FC of Matt Hughes vs Sakaruba in the BATTLE OF THE GRACIE KILLERS~