Sign in to follow this  
Mik

24: Season 5

Guest Fook

From tv.com:

24 is going to NYC

By Colin Mahan - TV.com

June 16, 2006 at 01:34:00 PM

Start spreadin' the news: Kiefer Sutherland action series is heading to the Big Apple.

If Jack Bauer can make it there, he can make it anywhere.

Producers for the hit Fox series 24 confirm they have been in talks with New York city officials about filming "some" of season six there. While no plot details have been revealed, executive producer Joel Surnow tells TV Guide's Michael Ausiello that plans are in the works for Bauer to visit the city that, like Bauer, never sleeps.

"We are in conversations about shooting some stuff in New York for [next] season," Surnow said.

If the show ends up moving to New York, it would mark the first time that Kiefer Sutherland's explosive federal agent would save a city other than Los Angeles (which needs saving, to be sure). In the previous five seasons, Bauer and CTU--the Counter Terrorist Unit--have had 24 hours to knock out nukes, vaporize viri, and bust baddies in and around the Los Angeles basin region.

It's unclear how the real-time concept of the show could handle a bicoastal adventure, or if the entire season would be filmed in New York. At the end of season five, Jack was literally "Shanghai'd" aboard a cargo ship by vindictive Chinese government agents, but show-runners already said there is no way they could work a Chinese kidnapping plotline into next season's 24-hour deadline.

In April, Sutherland and the show execs signed up for three more seasons of the series, and plans are underway for a 24 film. Fox has ordered a script, and if ratings for season six remain high, the movie is scheduled to be filmed between seasons six and seven.

Surnow also told Ausiello that fans can expect a return visit from the disgraced President Logan, played by Gregory Itzin, and his feisty wife, Martha, played by Jean Smart.

"We love them," he says. "We certainly want to try to bring them both back...they were just such fabulous characters for us."

The fifth season of 24 saw ratings increase 14 percent and featured Jack Bauer wearing a man-purse. If you missed out on it, reruns begin tonight on Fox, at 8 p.m.

Im surprised they kept the show in LA for so long, but I guess it was cheaper to film in LA than anywhere else.

I suspect that the DVD for Season 5 will have the "what happened between season 5 and season 6" bit which will explain how Jack isn't stuck in some Chinese Prison.

I think that if they want to keep it on the air and stay somewhat fresh, they need to start changing locales. In the LA in the "24" timeline (about 7-8 years have passed, considering the space between the seasons)

- black senator with presidential hopes almost assassinated.

- major anti-terrorism agency compromised at least three times

- nuclear bomb detonated not far away from the city

- weaponized strain of virus released in hotel killing hundreds

- air force one shot down by terrorists in stolen stealth bomber

- nuclear warhead stolen and put on missile for la

- said missile explodes over la in middle of the night

- first black president ever assassinated in hotel

- terrorists compromise airport security and hide weaponized sentox nerve gas

- anti-terrorism agency loses 40% of their staff in nerve gas bombing

that's an awful lot to happen in one city in 7-8 years. why would anyone live there anymore?

I'd say go with NY for season 6, look somewhere else for season 7 (DC?) and possibly overseas for season 8.

Huge Ass spoiler for Day 6, and while I know you all will read it anyway, I'll spoiler tag it anyway just in case.

By Charlie McCollum San Jose Mercury News in his blog

The most intriguing press announcement of the day comes from Fox, letting the world know that DB Woodside will back when "24'' returns in January as Wayne Palmer, the brother of President David Palmer, and Regina King ("Ray'') will play his sister, Angela. Now, this wouldn't necessarily be the biggest news in the world -- although Woodside and King are fine actors -- except for the fact that when clock restarts on "24,'' Wayne Palmer will be the new president of the United States, a sort of Robert F. Kennedy to his assassinated brother's JFK.

By my count, that means the show will have gone through four presidents by the start of season 6: one shot, one crippled when his plane was shot down, one hauled away in disgrace by federal agents and the newest President Palmer. If I were Wayne, I'd stay as far away from Jack Bauer as humanly possible but, of course, that ain't going to happen.

Im not that fond of the bold part, honestly.

Well that's certainly an interesting twist. I'm pretty sure that

Gregory Itzkin (Logan) will be back, though.

Yahoo TV has a fall preview up. It had a brief summary of 24. I wasn't able to copy/paste but it's at tv.yahoo.com/features/fall06

It's under 'FOX' obviously.