TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EdwardKnoxII

Iron Spidey??

http://www.marvel.com/publishing/stories/showstory.htm?id=67

Iron Spidey?

A New Look for Spidey in Comics?!

Word has been building for months now, and comic fans have been dying to know- what is Spider-Man’s new costume?! Well, folks, here it is! Recognize the color scheme? You should, it’s playing an important role in the future of the web-slinger!

After the shocking events in "The Other" storyline, Peter recieves this new costume to help him adjust to his newest developments, as well as giving him some added muscle! Designed by Marvel Editor-In-Chief Joe Quesada, this new design has a few tricks up its sleeve. "The Iron Spider design- as I like to call it- came to me during a Spider-Man story meeting we were having, we were talking and I was involuntarily sketching on a pad. It's inspired by a sketch that Chris Bachalo did that showed a new Spidey costume with <CLASSIFIED>. I thought that was brilliant, especially since it echoed one of Spidey's greatest villains, and I took the idea and imagined it as though seeing it through the eyes of Tony Stark. The sky's the limit with respect to gadgetry when it comes to Tony inspired costumes."

Every "gift" has its cost, and this new look for Spidey will signal the beginnings of change, especially as it comes on the eve of the upcoming Civil War. Spider-Man has developed a growing trust and friendship with Iron Man, but how much in debt is Peter’s loyalty to Tony Stark going to cost him in the long run? If the color scheme is any indication, well... Joe Quesada says, "I imagined Tony presenting Peter with the new suit and Peter putting it on and saying that it looks great but that his colors are red and blue. Tony would simply respond, ‘My design, my colors!’"

What is it that Joe is talking about that’s classified? How will Spidey’s relationship to Tony - and the new costume- play into Civil War?! You’ll have to read the books to see! But, it is safe to say that when it comes to this new costume, there is much more to the story! Look for the new costume to debut in February’s Amazing Spider-Man #529. It will then be seen in the pages of <a href='http://www.marvel.com/catalog/listing.htm?title=Friendly%20Neighborhood%20Spider-Man">Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man and Marvel Knights Spider-Man in April. For more news on Spider-Man, the costume, and Civil War, stay tuned, True Believers!

lrg_ironspidey_001.jpg

Pretty lame, IMO. I don't know why they didn't stick with the Ben Reily/Spider-girl suit. That thing was swell.

URm200_back.jpg

Not the best picture of it, but y'all probably know what it looked like.

At least this costume change is part of a larger story.

After Civil War, I'm sure Spidey will wind p with a new costume, prolly a variation on either the traditional or black costume.

There's some new discussion about it over at Newsarama as well as a bunch of other stuff.

And here's the full (non sketch) costume design.

JQ_V01.jpg

Personally I'm not a fan, especially of the mechanical spider arms.

And if this is suposed to be some sort of armor, then how come his body looks like all his skin has been ripped off and you can see every muscle and ligament. Someone shouldn't look like that even if they're wearing super skin tight clothing material, much less an armor.

I think I'll be dropping any Spider-Man books I'm currently getting. Marvel needs to be taught a lesson, and I'd like to see that done in the form of massive drops in sales.

Way ahead of you on that one. As of now, the only money Marvel gets from me is for Capt. America and Fantastic 4. In the last year I've dropped all Spider-Man books, all X-Men books (except Astonishing...which who know when that'll resume), Huk, and Avengers.

I'm sort of glad I only read the Punisher right now

What's this Civil War thing they're talking about?

It's THE big Marvel event of the summer. Mark Millar is writing, and it's essentially about the fact that the government enacts a Superhero Registration Act, where heroes have to reveal their identities, powers, etc to the government. This apparently splits the heroes right down the middle. Some decide that since it's the law, they have to abide and submit their identities, while others rebel and don't want to give the Fibs anything. Supposedly it pits "teammate against teammate", "brother against brother", etc. Kind of a lame idea, if you ask me, but Millar is close to a deity in my eyes, so I'll bite.

I like the concept because it builds on the last two major crossovers, Avengers Disassembled and House of X. A lot of this is going to be setup in the Illuminati limited series.

Basically the Illuminati are a few of the top representatives of the various races of people who inhabit Marvel earth. They include:

* Reed Richards--metahuman

* Dr Strange--mystic

* Iron Man--normal human

* Professor X--Mutants

* Namor--Atlanteans

* Black Bolt--Inhumans

They have been meating as a secret cabal since Kree-Skrull war, and its finally being revealed that they exist. In a lot of the interviews about what Iluminati/Civil War is about, Joe Quesada, Bendis, and Millar have all hinted that the Inhumans will play a big roll in this, that Namor controls the majority of the earth (since the oceans count as 75% of the planet), and that why isn't Black Panther (the ruler of Wakanda which is the most technologically advanced on the planet) isn't part of this and how his pending marriage to Storm might upset their balance of power.

Wait...the Black Panther Panther's gonna marry Storm?

So that's why they had that gay X-Men/Black Panther crossover centering on Storm.

Not explained: why they had that gay X-Men/Black Panther crossover centering on Storm in a book Storm doesn't even appear in.

Sorry, I don't post in here much as I don't read comics anymore (got tired of Marvel after they handed some of their big books to those Image guys). That costume looks like Spider-Man and Iron Man had some bastard step child to me.