TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Princess Leena

Torino Winter Olympics Thread.

Granted, I can't say I pay much attention to skiing, but I knew his name before that incident and for the most part the opinion on him was fairly neutral (near apathetic, essentially), then he made that comment and all of a sudden he was a bad man

I hate curling, it's one of the few sports I cannot watch.

Kwan pulling out sucks, but I'm glad I didn't go with my bias and pick her to win gold in the Sun Olympic preview.

Why the hell is Bode Miller so unpopular? I hope it doesn't just stem from his "Sometimes I ski wasted" remarks

"OMG HE'S THE ANTICHRIST!"

Mine comes from him just having lots of hype and pulling his, "I don't want this fame and attention...let me do 80 more interviews to say I don't" crap. It got old.

Plus there are better skiers out there and this guy is all I've been hearing about.

He's just fucking annoying.

Why the hell is Bode Miller so unpopular? I hope it doesn't just stem from his "Sometimes I ski wasted" remarks

Mine comes from him just having lots of hype and pulling his, "I don't want this fame and attention...let me do 80 more interviews to say I don't" crap. It got old.

Plus there are better skiers out there and this guy is all I've been hearing about.

He's not even the best American skier, yet he gets all of the hype. It reminds me of the leadup to the Super Bowl and the media complaining that Shaun Alexander wasn't a 'star' despite being the best player in the league last year. It seems with the American media actual talent is second to controversy. Miller hasn't done much for awhile now. He was the World Champion last year, but he has no wins this season at all and only one podium finish. Rahlves choked today, but he has far surpassed Miller as a skier at this point.

Speaking of chokers, Apolo Anton Ohno is at it again after failing to make the final in the 1500 m. He is notable for not living up to his hype last time, only winning one tainted Gold after guaranteeing four before the Games. He didn't even perform as well as Marc Gagnon at Salt Lake. I guess he just can't handle the Olympic pressure or something.

Exactly. Listening to the North American media you'd think Bode Miller is the greatest skier of all time after winning one world cup title. Hermann Maier at his peak makes Miller look like a run of the mill skier.

Guest Princess Leena

Yeah, I hope CNBC doesn't show every Canada and USA women's hockey game from now on. It's painful. And I really hate NBC's coverage. Chop it up to hell. And it will only get worse when the sports they actually want to show start coming up.

The saddest thing is the USA and Canada would probably still whip every other team's ass even if it was 5 on 4 for the whole game. I think the American women have more time of possession on PK's than the other teams are able to generate even with a one or two man advantage, and quite frankly that's pathetic.

Guest Princess Leena

Women's hockey simply shouldn't be an Olympic sport yet. Other teams are improving... slowly... but, only 3 competitive teams (including maybe Finland) is pathetic. Games with 70 to 10 shot differentials is just pointless.

It won't go away, though. Especially since it's nice filler before the NHL guys can get over there.

Well I already accidently went to espn.com which spoiled me on the all the remaining results tonight so I can view this thread. It's tougher on the west coast to avoid all of this as we get the event coverage later than anyone.

To echo comments about Bode Miller already, watching the test runs yesterday they mentioned that he was only 7th in the downhill world cup standings and then I immediately thought "why the fuck is he getting all this attention then?" Oh well in the end it's all about marketing and he's the one who did it best I guess.

And yes I was sad about Michelle Kwan dropping also but only because she's a piece of ass.

Rahlves blew it today. I don't know who won yet, but he fucked up pretty bad.

He probably should have stayed with the new skis.

Now I know, a fucking Frenchman. I wanted Maier to win, but he didn't put it together either.

Here's some news.

TURIN, Italy (CP-AP) - A member of the U.S. women's hockey team says Canada's lopsided wins to date at the Turin Olympics are not helping the sport.

And defenceman Angela Ruggiero questions why the Canadian women put 16 goals past Italy and 12 past Russia.

''I'm upset that Canada has been running up the score, especially against the host nation,'' Ruggiero was quoted Monday on SI.com, Sports illustrated's website. ''There was no need for that. They're trying to pad their stats . . . Canada is running up the score for whatever reasons - personal, short-term.''

Ehh.

Typical American posturing. I wonder if they even watched the game...if they had, they might have noticed the Canadians played a trap exclusively after the first period.

Where's the line between playing well to keep your mental edge for future games, and running up the score? If the other team can't give you a game, you really shouldn't be pointing the finger at the better team for being better.

This "controversy" might actually be interesting if women's hockey meant anything. The ONLY reason people feign interest in this "sport" is because the marquee matchup (really, only matchup) is Canada vs. the USA. People who claim that is "good hockey" probably wouldn't even give it the time of day if it was China vs. Russia or something like that.

This "controversy" might actually be interesting if women's hockey meant anything. The ONLY reason people feign interest in this "sport" is because the marquee matchup (really, only matchup) is Canada vs. the USA. People who claim that is "good hockey" probably wouldn't even give it the time of day if it was China vs. Russia or something like that.

People are barely giving it the time of day when USA and Canada are on the ice. You can't help that the rest of the world either sucks at this right now or just doesn't give a flying fuck really. And hell, Canada was doing everything NOT to run up the score. Short of lying down on the ice and playing checkers, I don't know what else they could have done. And do the US women think 5-0 ISN'T a blow out in hockey? It's not like they aren't wiping teams out as well.

This, like all the snowboarding competition, was just added to give Canada and the US more of a chance to win medals. The rest of the world could really give a shit about these competitions.

Guest Princess Leena

The US sisters in Curling, whatever their names are, very cute. I hardly expected CURLING to be the sport I'd be perving over!

The snowboarding love from NBC will die down a little bit... as half pipe finished today, and the US doesn't dominate in the races. But, expect a bunch on Jacobellis, who's vastly overrated in the looks department.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnd Wotherspoon fucks up again.

For being one of the best speed-skaters in the planet, Wotherspoon sure makes a habit of choking when it matters. Where are you, Catriona LeMay Doan...

Canada with another medal for silver in cross-country skiing.

And for the comment of Womens hockey. In a way they need to score as much as they can to prevent a tie-break.

Canada with another medal for silver in cross-country skiing.

And for the comment of Womens hockey. In a way they need to score as much as they can to prevent a tie-break.

Tie break with who? USA and Canada are going to be the only ones surviving this farce. Maybe Sweden and Finland since Russia is now in trouble with two losses. I guess the US and Finland is the last of the minor games that matter. I swear if Canada or USA go down before the finals, it'll be great. Knowing how well the US is doing right now, they'll lose tonight to Finland.

And Bode got DQ'ed in the combined. Even when he's far ahead he fucks up. All talk, nothing to back it up.

Plus I highly doubt that the half pipe girls stuff dies down since the USA big guns are falling apart left and right. I mean, without snowboarding then Team USA would have 2 medals.

Also, Jean Prahm of the US women's bobsled team looks kinda like Victoria from the WWE. Takes me back to the days when Taker would vanish from the WWE every winter olympics and people thought he was a bobsledder. God I miss those days.

Too bad Taker is back now, that Winter Olympics tradition could have lived on!

Also

5104235_240X180.jpg

That's an oh shit if I have ever saw one