TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Princess Leena

Torino Winter Olympics Thread.

Tie break with who?

Each other. Goal differential is going to determine who gets home ice in the Gold Medal game.

Oh they already have that by a mile. Team USA hasn't really been setting the scoreboard ablaze. Shit, I think Team Canada locked that up after game 1.

And Russia just snagged a silver in the single Men's luge while the US best finished fourth after horrid third and fourth runs.

Hehe. US is having a bad day. :)

I hope my prediction on page 3 doesn't come true. But Finland is playing very well...for women's hockey.

Did anyone see the cheap shot at the end of the Germany game? That was fucked.

ETA: 3-2 Finland headed into the third period.

I really don't think they're calling enough penalties (20 in 45 minutes) in this Finland/USA game [/sarcasm]

Guest Princess Leena

2 sports that need to be removed from the Olympics: Women's hockey and short-track skating. Short track is just ridiculous. The main goal is to not fall down. And there's already a similar event that is a true judgment of your speed.

Bah, short track is the closest thing to Rollerderby on ice that we'll ever get. There needs to be like 15 skaters for each race to really ramp up the chaos.

EDIT: Count me in with the people entranced with Curling. I've been watching it these past few mornings and just couldn't turn it off.

It's fun to watch, I guess... I just don't know what the fuck's going on

I tried looking up the rules once and quit reading after a paragraph

Guest Princess Leena

I like curling, too. It's fun to watch in short periods. The matches are too damn long, though.

Italy picked up a shocking gold medal in the speed skating men's team pursuit. The Dutch had them beat in the semifinal but fell down, then they blew away the Canadians in the final.

Canada got silver in both the men's and women's team pursuit.

It's fun to watch, I guess... I just don't know what the fuck's going on

I tried looking up the rules once and quit reading after a paragraph

Two ringed target.

Centre ring(bullseye, if you will) is called the button.

Outer ring including the button, is called the house.

Get your rock closer to the button than your opponent. If you do so, and have other rocks in the house closer to the button than your opponent, you get points for those too.

I would think it was that easy, but when I watch, the scoring never seems consistent... when I watch curling it feels like this

*push... shave shave shave shave shave shave shave shave shave shave shave clunk* "...two points!"

*push... shave shave shave shave shave shave shave shave shave shave shave clunk-not-much-different-from-the-first-one* "...three points!"

Me: "What the fuck?"

*push... shave shave shave shave shave shave shave shave shave shave shave clunk-just-like-the-first-two* "...one point!"

Me: "Fuck this *changes channel*"

Guest Princess Leena

US gets NO medals in figure skating... hehehehe. Weir is such a faggot.

Too bad all the other males are ugly too, though. :( Well, the Swiss guy isn't too bad.

I would think it was that easy, but when I watch, the scoring never seems consistent... when I watch curling it feels like this

*push... shave shave shave shave shave shave shave shave shave shave shave clunk* "...two points!"

*push... shave shave shave shave shave shave shave shave shave shave shave clunk-not-much-different-from-the-first-one* "...three points!"

Me: "What the fuck?"

*push... shave shave shave shave shave shave shave shave shave shave shave clunk-just-like-the-first-two* "...one point!"

Me: "Fuck this *changes channel*"

That's probably at a particular point in time in the end/inning. Points aren't counted until all 16 rocks are thrown in the end.

Guest Princess Leena

I still don't understand all the rules in curling.

For example, let's say you have last stone in the 1st end. Why not just keep hitting the other team's stones out of play until the last end where you score one point and win. They do that sometimes, but not all the time. Thus, it confuses me.

Also, it seems like they take strange shots sometimes. Do you have to curl a certain way every end? Like the US against Finland, they kept trying to go on the side where there was a lot of other rocks.

For example, let's say you have last stone in the 1st end. Why not just keep hitting the other team's stones out of play until the last end where you score one point and win. They do that sometimes, but not all the time. Thus, it confuses me.

There's an rule called the "free guard zone," where you aren't allowed to remove any stone in front of the house until the third (sometimes fourth) stone in an end has been thrown. This was put into place to prevent what you described, as it's fucking boring to watch.

Guest Princess Leena

Thanks.

I like the curling coverage, but the Canadian guys need to explain the game better. I hate when Duguid goes on like "Oh, he should have thrown the out draw in the 8 circle like I said from the beginning!", like I have any idea what the hell he's talking about. And I used to get CBC, so I've seen some curling, at least. Unlike all Americans, who only get to see matches every 4 years.

I'm probably a bastard for thinking this, but what happened to Lindsay Jacobellis was hilarious.

That's what you get for showing off.

Guest Princess Leena

Ooh, what did Lindsey do? She's by far, my least favorite person of these Olympics.

I like the curling coverage, but the Canadian guys need to explain the game better. I hate when Duguid goes on like "Oh, he should have thrown the out draw in the 8 circle like I said from the beginning!", like I have any idea what the hell he's talking about. And I used to get CBC, so I've seen some curling, at least. Unlike all Americans, who only get to see matches every 4 years.

I think it's like that in every sport. I can't imagine trying to watch a basketball game without knowing the rules, and have to figure out what a pick-and-roll is or what a 3-second violation is.

And if they showed women's curling on a weekly basis, I'd watch it on a weekly basis. Men's curling I can live without, but a lot of those women curlers are hot.

Guest Princess Leena

Exactly. The thing with curling is that virtually all American viewers don't know the rules... and definitely don't understand all the lingo. Which sucks... because I'm really getting interested in it, and want to understand more of the strategy involved in it.

Ooh, what did Lindsey do? She's by far, my least favorite person of these Olympics.

She was cruising to the Gold, and decided to be cute and grab her board on the final jump. This caused her to fall on the landing and allow the Swiss to grab the Gold.

USA/Sweden is going to a shoot-out.