TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Man in Blak

Songs That Have Never Been Done Right...

Despite recordings that span three decades, I'm still not sure that anybody's really knocked "You Keep Me Hangin' On" out of the park.

Of course, the most famous version is the first one, sang by the Supremes. But, despite the surprisingly decent lyrics that touch on unrequited love, the original Motown recording seems like a cold performance; there's a faint hint of emotion when Diana Ross sings "Go on, get out - get out of my life / and let me sleep at night", but the rest of the vocals are bouncy, almost playful, and they don't strike the right tone. Despite the new maturity (this certainly isn't "Where Did Our Love Go"), the song still seems very businesslike, as though the Supremes and the Motown folks went into the studio, kicked it out in an hour, and then moved on to the next Top 20 hit. This is probably the best overall version of the three, but it still misses the mark in my opinion because it's overproduced, with more sheen and polish than legitimate emotion.

The Vanilla Fudge version is a stark contrast to the Supremes recording, going much slower and eschewing the big Motown band song for a slow crunch. The opening is an unremarkable march with organs, drums, and cymbals blazing, but once the vocals come in, you immediately feel the desperation that the Supremes version was lacking, complete with harmonies that I can't possibly believe that a vocal trio like the Supremes wouldn't have used. Of course, once it hits the verse, the song regrettably morphs into fucking clown music, with an unwieldy guitar crunch/fart carrying a verse that sounds terribly out of place. It's like they nailed the first part of the song, then remembered that they're fucking Vanilla Fudge and immediately crapped atop the verse with their overblown psychedelia, like there was some contractual obligation to sound like the rest of the other shitty psychedelic rock bands out there. But despite being less appealing than the original, Vanilla Fudge's cover manages to capture more of the emotion behind the music and lyrics.

Then there's Kim Wilde's 80's redux...and there's no way I'm even touching that in extensive detail. You could have told me that this was another one of Tiffany's covers, and I would probably have believed you. At least it had the harmonies in the chorus.

I really, really want to like this song. The chord progressions and melody are both tremendous, and the lyrics carry a surprising amount of desperation for a 60's pop song. But it doesn't seem like anybody can really pin them both down in the same song. Or maybe I'm just insane.

But how about you? Any songs out there that you think are just begging for a better take?

"keep me hangin on" is my favorite supremes song. easily cracks my top 5 favorite motown songs ever, up there with "tears of a clown" and shit.

i've never heard a satisfactory version of "across the universe." any of the 346 beatles versions out there, or the valium-ridden fiona apple version.

The version on Anthology 2 is the best Beatles version of "Across the Universe"

There's a great cover by Rufus Wainwright on the I Am Sam soundtrack too.

One could day that the Grateful Dead never seemed to be quite happy with how their songs are played in concert and I think that's why Phil Lesh still tours, because he knows the fans love the music and to continue to try differant ways of playing their large song bank, trying new band members(he's even had Joan Osborne and Ryan Adams in his band at the end of 2005)

Despite recordings that span three decades, I'm still not sure that anybody's really knocked "You Keep Me Hangin' On" out of the park.

Of course, the most famous version is the first one, sang by the Supremes. But, despite the surprisingly decent lyrics that touch on unrequited love, the original Motown recording seems like a cold performance; there's a faint hint of emotion when Diana Ross sings "Go on, get out - get out of my life / and let me sleep at night", but the rest of the vocals are bouncy, almost playful, and they don't strike the right tone. Despite the new maturity (this certainly isn't "Where Did Our Love Go"), the song still seems very businesslike, as though the Supremes and the Motown folks went into the studio, kicked it out in an hour, and then moved on to the next Top 20 hit. This is probably the best overall version of the three, but it still misses the mark in my opinion because it's overproduced, with more sheen and polish than legitimate emotion.

The Vanilla Fudge version is a stark contrast to the Supremes recording, going much slower and eschewing the big Motown band song for a slow crunch. The opening is an unremarkable march with organs, drums, and cymbals blazing, but once the vocals come in, you immediately feel the desperation that the Supremes version was lacking, complete with harmonies that I can't possibly believe that a vocal trio like the Supremes wouldn't have used. Of course, once it hits the verse, the song regrettably morphs into fucking clown music, with an unwieldy guitar crunch/fart carrying a verse that sounds terribly out of place. It's like they nailed the first part of the song, then remembered that they're fucking Vanilla Fudge and immediately crapped atop the verse with their overblown psychedelia, like there was some contractual obligation to sound like the rest of the other shitty psychedelic rock bands out there. But despite being less appealing than the original, Vanilla Fudge's cover manages to capture more of the emotion behind the music and lyrics.

Then there's Kim Wilde's 80's redux...and there's no way I'm even touching that in extensive detail. You could have told me that this was another one of Tiffany's covers, and I would probably have believed you. At least it had the harmonies in the chorus.

I really, really want to like this song. The chord progressions and melody are both tremendous, and the lyrics carry a surprising amount of desperation for a 60's pop song. But it doesn't seem like anybody can really pin them both down in the same song. Or maybe I'm just insane.

But how about you? Any songs out there that you think are just begging for a better take?

The Kim Wilde version is the best. I have no reservations about making that statement.

"keep me hangin on" is my favorite supremes song. easily cracks my top 5 favorite motown songs ever, up there with "tears of a clown" and shit.

i've never heard a satisfactory version of "across the universe." any of the 346 beatles versions out there, or the valium-ridden fiona apple version.

I LOVE Fiona Apple's version of Across the Universe. The one by Rufus Wrainwright is okay.

gtd is right about "Across the Universe." Of the Beatles/Fiona/Rufus trio, I like the performance on Fiona's the most, but her voice is just awful on it. She isn't that bad of a singer, but her off-key moaning on that particular song is the worst.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I'd like to hear an acoustic version of "House of the Rising Sun."

"Hallelujah"

Leonard Cohen's original was pure, unadulterated, cringe-inducing gospel twaddle. Jeff Buckley's take was a definite improvement, but is marred by the histrionics that usually sank his own work. John Cale came closest to nailing it, but he's just a little too cold, aloof. That's almost always a part of Cale's charm, but I think the song can be done that falls somewhere between the respective recordings of Cale and Buckley. It's a very emotional tune that could benefit from a performance by someone with a little more tact (unlike Buckley) and little more blood (unlike Cale). Cohen himself could've done it, but I'm thinking the Cohen of the 70s. He just didn't get it in 1985.

I've pretty much come to terms with the fact that no Smiths song is coverable. "Handsome Devil" and maaaaybe "What Difference Does It Make" can be done, but everything else is impossible. Johnny Marr's guitar work and Morrissey's voice can't be done properly at all. It can only be done BY Morrissey and Marr.

I saw this band the other night that tried "How Soon Is Now"...they DESTROYED that song. It made me cringe, it was so bad. The guy attempted to sing somewhat like Moz, but no-one can have that voice EXCEPT Morrissey.

Kinda sucks, 'cuz I wanted to cover The Smiths...*sigh*

For a while, I was confused about which was Rufus and which was Chaka Khan. I'm not even sure if that's the same Rufus being mentioned here.

My answer to the thread is "All Along the Watchtower".

They're talking about Rufus Wainwright. Hearing Rufus and Chaka Kahn do "Hallelujah" would be awesome.

I got the point of the thread, but abstained because I couldn't really think of an example. The best I had was "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" (Dylan again?), but I think it's just a so-so song, not necessarily one done wrong in its original conception. The GnR version is terrible, and apparently a shitload of other people have done it; Wikipedia tells me U2, Warren Zevon, Avril Lavigne (!), Bob Marley, Cat Power, and Roger Waters are just a few.

Avril Lavinge version was a semi-hit up here in Canada.

Avril > GNR version.

UYI will be here shortly to call me a fucking idiot for posting this.

They're talking about Rufus Wainwright. Hearing Rufus and Chaka Kahn do "Hallelujah" would be awesome.

Oh, I see. Yeah, I don't know the song "Hallelujah", but I know who that is. I'm amused that I was thinking of Chaka Khan. Reminds me of when Spoon thought Nick Cave was in the Pet Shop Boys.

I got the point of the thread, but abstained because I couldn't really think of an example. The best I had was "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" (Dylan again?), but I think it's just a so-so song, not necessarily one done wrong in its original conception. The GnR version is terrible, and apparently a shitload of other people have done it; Wikipedia tells me U2, Warren Zevon, Avril Lavigne (!), Bob Marley, Cat Power, and Roger Waters are just a few.

I also know of Clapton, Jerry Garcia with the Grateful Dead, and Phil Lesh with his band doing it