TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

What religion were you raised under?

Yeah, could have been a poll, but I want to see specific comments, if it's all the same. So yeah, what did your family believe, and try to have you believe too? Just curious.

If you would, note whether or not you still subscribe to said religion and, if Protestant, which denomination? Or any other relevant comments.

Myself; parents divored, split between no specific and Protestant; non-denominational, conservative, closest to Baptist (More liberal).

Mother was Roman Catholic but died when I was 11, father was raised Anglican but not particularly religious in any form. Personally, pretty much non-denominational, but the idea of an all-powerful being is something I find helpful for various reasons.

My Mother and her side of the family are catholic, my dad isn't religious.

I denounced my catholicism after taking world history classes and reading up on the catholic church in High School. But I stopped going to church long before that.

Now I would say i'm just straight up Christian. no frills. I don't dwell on specifics really.

Roman Catholic. And while i still believe in god and alot of the shit, I do think that "man" has misinterprited certain messages for its own belief.

I'm pretty much the same

Pretty anti-religious parents. No that they would have disowned me if I'd joined the baptist or muslim ways (the two main denominations around our area). My friend's dad was on the board of governors for our junior school and got us out of religious assemblies. Good lad. It's not like it was a religious school.

Roman Catholic. Went to Catholic School for grades 2-7. Rec'd all Sacraments except for matrimony & last rites (duh).

Now, I'm non-religious. Don't think about religion much, if at all. Only go to church for weddings or funerals. Even when I attended Catholic School, we rarely, if ever, attended church.

EDIT: didn't receive annointing of the sick, or holy orders (duh, and duh).

Roman Catholic.

I was raised Roman Catholic, and I still believe many of the things the Church teaches, however, I have problems with certain other important things (transubstantiation, confession, and a few others) so I wouldn't consider myself a very good catholic.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Dad is an atheist, mom's an agnostic. I'm basically satanic, but stop where it becomes dogmatic.

Roman Catholic; got everything done that I was supposed to get done by now (baptized, first communion, confirmation). I don't go to church very often, but I do believe the teachings.

My Mother is a devout Southern Baptist. My Dad is Baptist though he never attends services. I classify myself under the Baptist Religion, and I am mostly more conservative than liberal. Lately I have been primarily of the religion, "It's Sunday, leave me alone and let me sleep".

I went to Lutheran church until 2nd grade when my parents stoped caring enough to drive 25 minuetes to the nearest Lutheran church and ended up going to the Presbytrian chuch 100 yards from my house.

Presbytrian's have got to be the blandest donomination of any religion plus ultra buracratic. Interestingly enough, I found out my old Rev. was super new age when I took confromation, he belived in reincarnation and had use meditate and tried to make use to get to clouds disappear using mental powers. Nothing let the at large congranation know any of this.

I ended up as an agnostic.

Was baptized as a Protestant (the Methodist denomination), but not raised under any specific faith. Mother was Catholic, but never a strict one (though she always complained that I never had a Communion despite having never argued with my father about baptizing me into his Church), and my father has never been that religious at all (despite both of his parents working all the time at their church).

So...I wasn't raised under any particular faith, honestly.

I was raised Southern Baptist, but I haven't been to church in years.

My mom is Southern Baptist, and my pops was raised Catholic, but rejected the religion when he got older (my biological father is also Southern Baptist).

Guest Vitamin X

I was more or less raised Catholic, which was my mom's thing more than anyone else. My dad was into it while he was married to my mother, but seemed to care less and less about it as the marriage dwindled to a close, so I don't think he really cared THAT much. Family stopped going to church around the time I was 11, 12 or so. At least, I started to refuse to do so after being scolded for asking too many questions in Sunday school. The rest of the family followed suit shortly afterwards, now my mom goes only for the big holidays or when she feels guilty which is funny, because she notes all the time she feels guilty about not going to church more often, but rarely, if ever, does anything about it.

I'm agnostic, although recently been more interested in eastern religions/philosophies, particularly Taoism.

Guest Cactus

100% Roman Catholic, every holiday, every special mass, every sunday...even sunday school and everything else....then I quit when I was like 13.

My step dad still gets pissed when I don't say grace at dinner.

Also, currently I've converted to Judaism, but practice something closer to satanism. Like Gene, I find satanism corny and stupid when taken too seriously. Jewishness gives me the freedom to be selectively moral, plus a ton of holidays.

Speaking of Orthodoxy, during my study of Jewishness, I discovered that it's unbelievably hard to convert to Chassidic Judaism. You're supposed to learn Hebrew and Yiddish, for one, and should probably move to Brooklyn (or else Israel). However, they also have the option to be something called a Noachide where you still go to heaven but all you have to do is this:

Do not murder.

Do not steal.

Do not worship false gods.

Do not be sexually immoral.

Do not eat a limb removed from a live animal.

Do not curse God.

Set up courts and bring offenders to justice.

Seven commandments, they don't even hold you to the full ten.