TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Open the Muggy Gate

Iconic video game music.

I have this midi that I have heard is from Xenogears, but I am not 100% sure. I enjoy the hell out of it, so I am wondering if anyone can identify it.

The music in the opening movie. First thing you hear when you press start.

http://downloads.ffshrine.org/soundtracks/...etherworlds.mp3

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I've had that midi for about 3 years, but had no idea what it was supposed to be.

The lack of love for Katamari Damacy and We <3 Katamari disturbs me. I have both soundtracks as a playlist. Actually makes a better (if bizarre) background music for World of Warcraft (especially PvP).

Yeah, I'm a little surprised that it took to page 3 for Katamari to even warrant a mention. There are some good tracks on the We <3 Katamari OST, but I think I prefer the original, overall. Both of them are great mixes of diverse musical styles, though.

The Final Fantasy series has been mentioned a lot already (and deservedly so), but I think that IV and VI really stand out as a whole from the series.

The strange thing about IV is that, while the in-game tunes are weaker overall from VI (which is the absolute best OST you'll find for any video game, IMO), the alternate versions that you hear on other soundtrack releases are very strong. The theme from Toroia is a great example: when you hear it in the game, it's merely pleasant and not really striking...but when you hear the versions on the Piano Collection and Celtic Moon releases, it really elevates the tune. The "Red Wing's Theme" that opens the game is another song that just comes to life outside of the game, specifically in the full orchestral performance.

As for Chrono Cross...eh. There are definitely some good things going on with that OST; the references to the original CT material are deftly handled and the inclusion of different instrumentation is a nice touch. The tracks that don't allude to Chrono Trigger themes are noticeably weaker, however, and perhaps I'm alone in saying this, but the "electric guitar" piece really isn't that great. Ultimately, I believe the original Chrono Trigger OST is a much stronger soundtrack as a whole.

Definitely have to agree on Final Fantasy as well. FF VI and FF VII are masterpieces in many ways, but foremost the ability to put music EMOTIONALLY into a game. Sephiroth's music is ominous, Aeris' music is sad and suits her well... just fantastic. And Final Fantasy III, for being simple MIDI-style music files, was just awesome. I still get goosebumps whenever I hear Cyan's or Shadow's music.

The Guilty Gear series is another one that stands out for me, being a metal fan. Awesome speed/thrash metal. I have every GG album.

Gotta give honourable mention to Sonic CD for the Sega CD as well.

Can someone identify this midi? I have heard it is from Xenogears, but I'm not 100% for sure.

It's called Omen.

Here's my list:

FFT

Xenogears

Most of the FF games.

Chrono Cross

Chrono Trigger

Soul Blade

Castlevania IV (The 3 guardians)

SD3

Suikoden 1 & 2 (I haven't played the others)

MGS boss fight theme

MGS2 Main theme

Street Fighter 2. (Who doesn't know the themes of the Original 8?)

After recently listening to it again, I have to add SaGa Frontier 2's soundtrack to the list of greats. The classical-minded, sometimes dissonant music is actually something that can be appreciated without ever knowing the game. The chord progressions and harmonies are unusual to game music, but it's composed so that it all works. Nothing sticks out in an unfavorable way. The composer, Masashi Hamauzu, is undoubtedly the best working for Square. He's also composing the soundtrack for FF13, which can only be good.

It also led to one of the greatest game albums ever, a disc full of piano solo and orchestral arrangements which I have not tired of after 7 years.

I love the Aeon chants from FFX,

I'm glad I'm not the only one who liked them. I caught myself humming that tune here and there.

The many chants are called "The Hymn of the Fayth". Just making sure we get the name correct. :D

Other good tracks from the game are Otherworld, Confrontation, Challenge, Zanarkand, Someday the Dream Will End, and Summoned Beast Battle.

Always liked "Otherworld". It threw me the first time I heard it (during the opening blitzball FMV) because it was so different from FF's musical history. Closest you'll probably ever see to heavy metal in Final Fantasy. The opening guitar riff is still great.

There's another couple of pieces of music in there that I really liked too, but I can't remember the titles. Maybe Auron's theme? Another one was a real twangy acoustic guitar piece that almost sound like blues/bluegrass.

Guest BritishBruiser

I love the Aeon chants from FFX,

I'm glad I'm not the only one who liked them. I caught myself humming that tune here and there.

The many chants are called "The Hymn of the Fayth". Just making sure we get the name correct. :D

Other good tracks from the game are Otherworld, Confrontation, Challenge, Zanarkand, Someday the Dream Will End, and Summoned Beast Battle.

Always liked "Otherworld". It threw me the first time I heard it (during the opening blitzball FMV) because it was so different from FF's musical history. Closest you'll probably ever see to heavy metal in Final Fantasy. The opening guitar riff is still great.

There's another couple of pieces of music in there that I really liked too, but I can't remember the titles. Maybe Auron's theme? Another one was a real twangy acoustic guitar piece that almost sound like blues/bluegrass.

Otherworld is super.

As far as Final Fantasy goes, I love the musical score for Final Fantasy II.

Nine Inch Nails also did the Zelda theme live. The bootleg is hilarious. They start in, and some dork goes "YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!" at the top of his lungs.

Imagine this scene and try not to laugh. I dare any of you.

Mega Man X.

Armored Armadillo. Storm Eagle. Flame Mammoth. The first appearance of Zero's theme.

Awesome and totally classic.

AoA: Thank you for posting. Somehow I missed it when you first did.

However, the orchestrated one on that page I like even more.

Guest ResidentEvil

Final Fantasy II and Chrono Trigger are definite elite music scores in the world of video games. Being a Resident Evil fan, I must give credit to one of favourite series of games of all time. That of course being Resident Evil. The music in Resident Evil II was terrific.

I liked the "alternate Boss Battle music" from Chrono Trigger...I don't know a different way to describe it...it's played during the battle with that little lizard that rides the giant Tyrano and again with your face the fire Tyrano in the cave. Trigger fans know what im talking about.

Does anyone have a link to the theme from the Wall Street level from the Die Hard w/ a Vengeance portion of Die Hard Triliogy for PS1?

Haven't heard it years, and it still gets stuck in my head from time to time.

Lushus that definitely is a good song.

Surprised no one's mentioned Valkyrie Profile's very sad and haunting theme. Sorry, I was gonna use the real name, but I've only got my copy of the remix of it kicking about.

And dammit, where's the love for Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest's battle theme?! Best battle theme ever. Its the only reason I ever play FFMQ.

Oh, and the mostly cover (and a little remix) done by Ashane that was hosted at VGMix is pretty damn bad ass and what I would expect to hear for it being like totally rocked out. ^_^ I love it.

The Castlevania song at the 1st level of their game on SNES.

Tecmo Bowl...the songs for both teams in the playoffs kicked ass.

Bases Loaded

Ken Griffey Jr. Major League Baseball during the game was also cool.