TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
King Cucaracha

Don't believe the hype

Okay, so what does anyone see in Joey Ryan? I've seen him 4 times and all four times he was pretty terrible. Am I missing something? Is there some interesting or entertaining gimmick I'm missing, because so far all I've got is he wears a 70s sort of shirt and he likes Hilary Duff. He comes off as really bland in the ring and he managed to have a really terrible match with El Generico at Cage Of Death 7...and I love Generico. And he is/was the PWG Champion? I don't get it.

So, who don't you get the love for?

Bryan Danielson Mr. American Dragon himself

I just don't really find him very entertaining

/ducks for cover

It's because he's (American Dragon) is bland as fuck. Put him in a bodysuit and a mask :P

It's because he's (American Dragon) is bland as fuck. Put him in a bodysuit and a mask :P

I like what little of Danielson's work I've seen (even though he wouldn't do as well in short matches), but I think he should go back to wearing a mask, too, like when he started out.

Christ.

Danielson has more charisma than 99% of Indy guys and 90% of WWE guys. What are you watching?

And Barbar not getting Strong puts a smile on my face.

Tim

Christ.

Danielson has more charisma than 99% of Indy guys and 90% of WWE guys. What are you watching?

Tim

Yeah, let's put a mask over the guy who probably has the best facials in the business. Just watch his match with Lethal against Strong and Aries from Tag Wars 2006, he was fricking brilliant with his heel work. So damn subtle and yet effective. Danielson, is an excellent face but he is a master heel. When you got Chris Benoit and William Regal, praising you (and you are only 24)...you are doing a great fucking job.

Who is over-rated in the indies? It's not Roderick Strong, because again his quality of work proves he is worthy of his praise.

I mean, what are you people watching when you made insane comments like AD and Strong are over-rated and not justified of the hype.

Chris Hero. Not that he's universally liked, but I don't really see why he's liked at all.

I would say Hero, is the 50/50ist guy in the independents. Half the indy crowd loves the guy and the other half, abhors him.

Hero, is a really good heel and a great promo. His work, was never that great and people buy into the fact that Hero likes to work 60+ minute matches as an example of his ability.

I don't get the Jack Evans love. He's fun to watch in tag matches, but he's horrible in singles matches. And his offense always look like shit. Seriously, I would even consider Jeff Hardy a better worker...

I don't get the Jack Evans love. He's fun to watch in tag matches, but he's horrible in singles matches. And his offense always look like shit. Seriously, I would even consider Jeff Hardy a better worker...

More brainless commentary.

Jack Evans, improved greatly from what he was in 2004 and most of 2005, "comedy spot monkey". He has an incredible talent at doing the unimaginable. He is an great heel but is on his way to being a effective baby-face. Watch his work with Roderick Strong in F.I.P to get a good example of that.

BTW, Hardy has great charisma but he isn't a good worker. He isn't even a better bumper. Evans, has the charisma, the ability to work and can work a straight match while incorporating his style into it.

I do perfer him in tag matches, because he is does an excellent Ricky Morton and when he's in full cocky mode as a heel, you cant find many people who can garner such heat with a simple pose.

I've never understood what Jimmy Rave did to get his big ROH push. I've got the vast majority of 2005 ROH shows on DVD and based on those and the little of him I've seen from earlier he doesn't look at all special. He comes across to me as looking like he never quite knows what exactly he's doing in the ring during his matches.

Guest Happy Go Nowhere

Christ.

Tim

Yeah, let's put a mask over the guy who probably has the best facials in the business. Just watch his match with Lethal against Strong and Aries from Tag Wars 2006, he was fricking brilliant with his heel work. So damn subtle and yet effective. Danielson, is an excellent face but he is a master heel. When you got Chris Benoit and William Regal, praising you (and you are only 24)...you are doing a great fucking job.

Who is over-rated in the indies? It's not Roderick Strong, because again his quality of work proves he is worthy of his praise.

I mean, what are you people watching when you made insane comments like AD and Strong are over-rated and not justified of the hype.

You understand the concept of opinions, right? Cause that's what this thread is about, people's opinions on wrestlers they don't really like but others do.

Me, I don't really care for American Dragon either, I don't see the appeal.

I've never understood what Jimmy Rave did to get his big ROH push. I've got the vast majority of 2005 ROH shows on DVD and based on those and the little of him I've seen from earlier he doesn't look at all special. He comes across to me as looking like he never quite knows what exactly he's doing in the ring during his matches.

He got the big push, because he is a very good heel. He was still learning the craft of working heel but he really found his niche later in 2005.

Necro Butcher... I actually don't know how hyped he is overall, but I heard some people say some good stuff about him, so I checked him out and he sucked. Looked like a run-of-the-mill Indy garbage wrestler to me.

Hawk, will you defend any ROH guy?

Jay Lethal, I always considered over-rated. I actually never cared for Tony Mamaluke, Sal Rinauro, The RCE, Adam Pearce, Chad Collyer and some others. ROH, just happens to use some of the better talents out there. Granted, there are some out there that should be in ROH.

Christ.

Tim

I'll tell you why I don't like Strong.

1. He cuts some of the worst promos on the entire indy circuit.

2. Forget having good or bad facial expressions. His facial expressions NEVER change.

3. His work is horribly contrived (the cartwheel out of the Boston Crab is the beginning of a long list)...

4. He has NO charisma.

5. He takes a tilt-a-whirl headscissors downright horribly. (Random but true)

He is the only guy I can think of to have a bad match with Azriel this year.

I WILL admit he is decent in the selling department; I can't argue that he's a bad seller. I'm nto saying I don't respect the guy or anything. I just don't think he is what everyone makes him out to be.

Why is he so good, Tim?

Since this is in the other folder, I assume the usual WWE suspects don't count. I'll throw my hat in for Jay Lethal. Really isn't much of a worker, and his mannerisms/selling is goofy and overdone. That mockery of a finisher he used to employ really bugs me too. If you're doing to use a dragon suplex, use a dragon suplex. Although I've been told his heel stuff is better and that he starts using a real dragon suplex later on in the year, and I'm only into September for my ROH viewing. So my opinion could change I suppose.

Since this is in the other folder, I assume the usual WWE suspects don't count. I'll throw my hat in for Jay Lethal. Really isn't much of a worker, and his mannerisms/selling is goofy and overdone. That mockery of a finisher he used to employ really bugs me too. If you're doing to use a dragon suplex, use a dragon suplex. Although I've been told his heel stuff is better and that he starts using a real dragon suplex later on in the year, and I'm only into September for my ROH viewing. So my opinion could change I suppose.

He did step up as a heel, but it was marginal improvement and it was a case of too little, too late for him to really anywhere in ROH. (Although, he was pretty good at T.T Wars 06 with Danielson against Gen Next)

ROH usually cycles the roster around, save for a few usual suspects. Lethal, wasn't doing anything to warrant being on the roster.

He cuts an even worse promo then Roderick Strong and that's bad because Lethal is supposed to be a cocky arrogant heel and he can't do that on the promos. Roderick Strong, is in the mold of Dean Melenko. He does his talking in the ring.

Lethal, can get over as face because he has that natural babyface charisma but that is extent of his strengths.

As the ring announcer for Joey Ryan's Cage of Death 7 match (PWG Title defense Vs. El Generico), I must say that there is a story about his performance, which had been going around on the net. To be fair, Joey Ryan's match with El Generico was the first match announced for the CoD7 show. Ryan was injured a week before heading into the show. I'm sure, given the chance, he'd impress if given another chance. But it *was* CoD, and an unfortunate situation for him to be in. His mustache still no-sells Dragon beard.

Also, the fans were seemingly confused during the attempted use of the chair, and why the referee would not allow it, despite being informed that the match was contested under PWG rules, which varied from Combat Zone's.

I like Hero well enough, but I don't see him as one of the best mat workers ever like he's put over as.

BJ Whitmer's good enough I guess, but I could just the same go to sleep durring one of his matches.

AJ Styles. His psychology is just awful. I forget who against, but I remember one match where his leg was worked on like a bitch for 15 minutes, and then he went on to win with a springboard 450 splash. Stuff like that annoys me.

Also, Jody Fleish, or however it's spelled. I've only seen two matches, but I didn't really like what I saw.

I'll dive in shark infested waters... Samoa Joe.

Sure, he's big and stiff. Other than that, not a damn thing about him hooks me at all.

*awaits stoning

Guest Timmer

I like seeing this thread...

Maybe someone could explain to be what all the hype is about for CM Punk?

Granted, I haven't watched any of his ROH matches. But the OVW matches that I have seen on Youtube, he looks like crap...

Guest Timmer
I'll dive in shark infested waters... Samoa Joe.

Sure, he's big and stiff. Other than that, not a damn thing about him hooks me at all.

*awaits stoning

I'd like to see how he does against guys his size...

Well excuse me Hawk for not having a ROHardon for Bryan Danielson but the man bores me, you can argue - you can insult my intelligence if you'd like hell I'll even leave it open for you to suggest that my mom slept with a barnyard animal if you should ever feel like implying that ;)

What I'm saying is that he bores the crap out of me, his ring work while crips and competent just leaves me "meh" and the man and his supposed charisma even more so. No amount of ROHbotting on your part will convince me of anything else.

On the subject of Samoa Joe - having seen a few PPV matches and a slew of Impact matches it feels like I've seen everything the guy has to offer against smaller guys he can throw around. Yes we get it he's a Muscle Busting machine! There are no surprises in Samoa Joe, at least if there are he's not busted out a "surprise" in forever, he's a little too predictable for me to be a huge fan of him.

Guest Rrrsh

AJ Styles is whats wrong with Indy wrestling today. He is the equivalent to HHH (for obvious different reasons)

I like seeing this thread...

Maybe someone could explain to be what all the hype is about for CM Punk?

Granted, I haven't watched any of his ROH matches. But the OVW matches that I have seen on Youtube, he looks like crap...

If not for promo ability, I'd tend to agree with you. I like Punk a lot, but I'd never buy a show specifically to see him wrestle and I, personally, wasn't a major fan of the Joe/Punk series. Punk's a hit and miss kinda guy in terms of opinions of him in the ring.

As for others mentioned:

I'm one of Hero's biggest fans, but I'll agree that he's a love him or hate him kinda worker. He's probably the best heel character/interview on the indy circuit today though and his feud with Eddie Kingston in CZW/IWA/CHIKARA has been superb.

Danielson isn't always boring. Search out him invading CZW, or any match he's had with Jack Evans.

Rave's improved hugely since I first saw him 3 or so years ago.

Hating on Jack Evans = shocking.