TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Failed Bridge

The Hills Have Eyes

Guest NYankees

I was thinking of seeing this movie. Can you please give a full or better review other than this movie sucked.

I saw it last night. I liked it, but it's not as good as the original. It's still better than most horror remakes these days, and proudly pushes the R rating's limits. Actually, it was originally NC-17, but the ratings board had it cut, though the movies still pretty brutal (Emily de Ravin's character is raped, and the movie is really violent).

It was good until

the guy became Rambo, the kid started building absurd traps, and the dog saved everyone multiple times.

Um, much of that (the family's revenge) was in the original.

I think this one is better than the original. I am sorry, but the first one had a great premise, but this one hammered it home.

if blood and gore for blood and gore's sake is what you like then you'll enjoy the movie. If your preference of horror film is stuff like The Ring and Se7en (like me) then you too will think it sucked.

It didn't help that a couple of black girls just kept screaming at the screen as if the characters on it could hear them and thus follow their directions. I point out the fact they were black because never before had I actually experienced the stereotype of "black woman in a Harlem Theater" type before tonight.

It was good until

the guy became Rambo, the kid started building absurd traps, and the dog saved everyone multiple times.

Um, much of that (the family's revenge) was in the original.

So?

if blood and gore for blood and gore's sake is what you like then you'll enjoy the movie. If your preference of horror film is stuff like The Ring and Se7en (like me) then you too will think it sucked.

I'm probably in the same boat, which is why just shook my head while watching House of 1000 Corpses.

Guest El Satanico
I disagree. Se7en scared me when I saw it in the theater. It was a real nice mindfuck

that's suspense, not fear

It didn't help that a couple of black girls just kept screaming at the screen as if the characters on it could hear them and thus follow their directions. I point out the fact they were black because never before had I actually experienced the stereotype of "black woman in a Harlem Theater" type before tonight.

LOL, that's the reason why I will wait for Dave Chapelle's movie and the Madea movie to hit video before I see it.

Anywhoo, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I'm not a big movie buff or anything like that. I simply enjoyed it. Yes, this remake shows a lot of violence and brutality. Yes, it did push the R rating which I loved as most movies strive for the PG-13 or soft R rating. It was pretty frightful, although not totally scare. I liked it.

I somewhat agree with Angle-plex's complex, especially with regards to Beast. That shit got old real quick.

I didn't like it. The first hour dragged and the rest was your typical horror "scares." The theatre was only a quarter full and I didn't hear anyone scream, yell, jump or gasp during any of the scenes.

I don't want to spoil anything, but it's a horror film so you know they left a few unanswered questions at the end in case they do a sequel. It just wasn't very dramatic.

If you liked Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Wrong Turn you might like The Hills Have Eyes.

I Saw it yesterday, and more people left mid-movie (out of boredom or disgust, I presume) than any movie I've ever seen in the theatre. It was one of the movies that I actually thought to myself, "I hope everyone in this movie dies at the end." I guess I thought it was Ok, but just Ok ... well, that's only partially true. I thought it was funnier than The Wedding Crashers, by a substantial margin, but I don't think that was the intentions.

The part at the end, when the guy miraculously has the dog with him, even though he left it in the mutant's "town", was one of the biggest laughs I've had all year. And the part when Big Bob gets crucified & set on-fire was awesome. But I'm a big 'burn someone alive' mark.

Oh, and Emilie de Ravin is reason enough to see this movie. She's painfully attractive.

The pacing reminded me of Haute Tension, which I guess is how the director likes to pace the story. I like pacing like that. I don't need to walk into a movie and heads come flying off. The stark contrast from everyday, normal setting to terror is better than lets just jump into the terror.

I disagree. Se7en scared me when I saw it in the theater. It was a real nice mindfuck

Hey, that's great. Not a horror movie, though.

Each new trailer that came out made me less and less interested in the film. Course the original had some horrendously bad acting from the family members.

Guest Retro Rob

That alone is worth the price of admission. I've had so many hilarious experiences due to those situations.

I didn't like The Ring.

I enjoyed this movie, but I can usually enjoy crap. Especially when it brought some great unintentional comedy. Like when

Big Bob was set on fire, and then they show his remains later on in the film and that damn mustache is still there.

Se7en is not a horror movie and The Ring just flat out sucks.

No, The Ring 2 flat out sucked. I actually liked what The Ring was trying to do, I mean I didn't think it was a great film but I liked the little things they do during the film to play with your mind.

Flashes of the ring, flies on the screen, scene flashes of black haired girl and some reflections of her at certain moments. It didn't wow me but I loved what it tried.

Has anyone seen the original Hills have Eyes lately?

I really miss the edge Wes Craven used to have with his films.

Yeah, today actually. Just for nostalgia's sake. I hadn't seen it since I was 14 or so.

Apparently Last House on the Left is a remake possibility in the works.

Yeah, today actually. Just for nostalgia's sake. I hadn't seen it since I was 14 or so.

Apparently Last House on the Left is a remake possibility in the works.

Which I still don't think it works. It still makes me squirm a little at some of the brutality. Not the death scenes, but the rape and other scenes are harsh. I cannot get how that gets down to an R-rating, it'll be tough.

Quote of the original:

"Oh no"- The son delivers the worse line read in the history of cinema. He sounds almost bored by his mom dying.

Watched it last night...theatre was packed on the Sunday 7:55 show...some people walked out...bathroom or just disgusted(it was about the time of the rape) and I doubt it was because of boredom...I loved it...very intense movie..had some good scares that were not given away by the damn music changing or something...many girls screamed..my girlfriend was junped about every time something "scarey" happened...I would say that it is the best horror movie that I've sean in a while...maybe tied with Saw II but I think that THHE is still better...

....on a side note I left actually thinking that some people on this board would lie or even love this film but of course the first post is "it sucked..don't waste your time"...it makes me curious as to what some of you guys actually consider to be a good horror movie...I don't consider Se7en a real horror movie but it's close...it's just a badass "dark" movie...but seriously...I thought that this was about as good as gets for Horror and after the total letdown of Hostel and the saturatioin of the Japanese remake films THHE was very refreshing...that is if you can call a movie about mutants canabalizing and raping an unsuspecting family refreshing...

...and finally I loved Beast...my favorite charcter in all 3 of The Hills Have Eyes movies...

Knowing both the definitions to "horror" and "film", I consider Seven to be a "horror film". Just because it wasn't your typical run of the mill type doesn't change it.

That's great that you know the definition of horror and film, but that still doesn't make Seven a horror flick. Very similar to Copycat. Go to any DVD store and you won't find either in the horror section. At least, not in any that I've ever been in.