TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HollywoodSpikeJenkins

Boardloaf

Best Bagel & Lox I've had is a toss-up between the Hyatt Century City and the Esmerelda Resort in Indian Wells the latter having the biggest fucking capers I've ever seen (and I'm a man who enjoys his capers)

I went to the new Lucille's BBQ in Roseville the other day. Hour long wait, but the pulled pork sandwich with their Memphis sauce is one of the best things I've had in the longest time. Looking at reviews, it's a love or hate experience, but it gets a thumbs up from me.

Guest Vitamin X
Fucking goyim, you better throw some lox on that bagel.

Oh all of the suggestions I had was including what Czech suggested was the man's breakfast- everything bagel, cream cheese, onion, and lox.

I fucking adore lox.

I love me some bagels with cream cheese and lox. Too bad there's only one place in the Portland area that has it. Whenever I make my way back to NYC, I'll make a point of it to have that breakfast every day.

Guest Teal-y Dan
Yeah, yeah. Just go dip some bread in a bird feeder and call it even.

What do you prefer, cinnamon raisin? Go move to Iowa.

You been to Kenny and Zuke's on 11th and Stark yet, VitX? Pretty good deli for Portland. Better than Kornblatz, I think.

I went to the new Lucille's BBQ in Roseville the other day. Hour long wait, but the pulled pork sandwich with their Memphis sauce is one of the best things I've had in the longest time. Looking at reviews, it's a love or hate experience, but it gets a thumbs up from me.

Dude, you're now just discovering the power of Lucille's? I've been going there for a year or so and it's pretty good for a chain joint, but places like Emanuel's are still where the great BBQ is at.

Yeah, yeah. Just go dip some bread in a bird feeder and call it even.

What do you prefer, cinnamon raisin? Go move to Iowa.

I suppose that's my answer, as CR have been three of the five bagels I've had in my life.

Why am I moving to Iowa? It would throw my name into arrears, for one thing.

Guest Vitamin X
You been to Kenny and Zuke's on 11th and Stark yet, VitX? Pretty good deli for Portland. Better than Kornblatz, I think.

My friend works as a chef there. He's a fellow Zoobomber, so I get hooked up with free food sometimes, although I don't think I'd go there if I were paying. It's like $10 for a sandwich! Now, they've got this bagel with gravlax, nova lox, or whitefish salad served with cream cheese, pickled onions, tomatoes, AND capers for $10.75. That's on their late night menu though, but that's about the only time I go down there- and the Roxy is like, across the street, so what's the point?

I haven't been to Kornblatz.

My friend works as a chef there. He's a fellow Zoobomber, so I get hooked up with free food sometimes, although I don't think I'd go there if I were paying. It's like $10 for a sandwich! Now, they've got this bagel with gravlax, nova lox, or whitefish salad served with cream cheese, pickled onions, tomatoes, AND capers for $10.75. That's on their late night menu though, but that's about the only time I go down there- and the Roxy is like, across the street, so what's the point?

I haven't been to Kornblatz.

I know five or six people who've come down with food poisoning from The Roxy. I still go when I'm in town, but not as much. I've got a soft spot for Sharis on the late-night side. Mediocre food, bad service, no real character, but I've been "ending up" there for years.

Guest Vitamin X

If I had a car, I'd probably frequent the Original Pancake House on Powell a lot more. That place is awesome. Probably a food poison hazard, too.

If I had a car, I'd probably frequent the Original Pancake House on Powell a lot more. That place is awesome. Probably a food poison hazard, too.

I lived within walking distance of that place for two years in college. Makes your clothes smell like grease.

See, that's what I mean about drinking too much quantity wise.

I got drunk last night, and it was a nice, pleasant drunk. I didn't throw up or pass out or fight a nigger.

But it took me two pints of beer and a fifth of whiskey to get there. That's gotta keep me from losing any weight.

Man, a while back I mentioned a hot chick that delivers pizza?

It happened again, this time a tattooed rocker chick, with AC/DC blaring from her truck, delivering me pizza and beer. Have I died and gone to heaven?

I've been living off the 5 dollar foot long subs from Subway lately. I think I've tried them all now.

Hmmmmm Footlong.

Probably.

I've been eating Chinese Food for years but somehow I still need to learn the difference between Chow Mein and Lo Mein. I wanted Lo Mein but I ordered Chow Mein. This is what I get for ordering the same thing 80% the time!

Probably.

I've been eating Chinese Food for years but somehow I still need to learn the difference between Chow Mein and Lo Mein. I wanted Lo Mein but I ordered Chow Mein. This is what I get for ordering the same thing 80% the time!

ME! :angry:

Man, I eat a lot of Chinese food.

Not always Panda Express, authentic Chinese food too, but it seems roughly as healthy.

I do like to mix it up, but my default is steamed rice with broccoli beef... that can't be that bad for you.

P.E. charges the same for your meal whether you get it with chow mein, fried or steamed rice. That's bullshit.

But I actually eat there so much I know the right time to go to where I'll often have to wait for them to make more broccoli beef, and I can get free pot stickers or an eggroll out of it.

I think expiration dates are lies.

I had some milk that expired three weeks ago. I drank it. It was fine.

And some sour creme that expired two weeks ago. It's still good. I mean, it's sour creme already, right?

Save the LA Taco Trucks

"Carne Asada Is Not a Crime," proclaims a website that has suddenly caught fire to rally food lovers across Los Angeles in defense of the iconic taco truck, now in the sights of a government crackdown.

After county supervisors passed a law two weeks ago, threatening hefty fines or a year in jail against operators who linger too long in one place, a pair of former Occidental College roommates took it upon themselves to ignite a protest.

So far, Highland Park residents Aaron Sonderleiter and Chris Rutherford have sent Supervisor Gloria Molina more than 2,200 signatures on a petition to overturn the law, which she backed after brick-and-mortar restaurants in East L.A. complained that taco trucks were eating into their business. Their website has also declared this evening to be Taco Truck Night, calling on residents to turn out to "support your local hard-working taco vendor."

Some county officials now say supervisors may have underestimated the cultural significance of the lunch truck to a younger generation of natives and transplants to Los Angeles -- those who have depended on carne asada to get them through tough times.

"To me it is surprising that these young people are taking such an interest," said Maria Cerdas, a deputy for Supervisor Yvonne B. Burke. "I did not foresee it."

Zane Selvans, 32, of Pasadena offers an explanation. "There are at least two distinct populations that visit the taco truck," Selvans said. "There are the native Angelenos, and then there's the kind of hipster population who think it's cool."

Both groups have organized -- on the Internet, through blogs and social networking sites -- to get the law repealed. In a way that issues such as homelessness and healthcare have failed to do, the taco truck seems to have galvanized residents who until now didn't pay much attention to the workings of local government.

"The love for tacos is definitely what's connecting us," said Erin Glenn, 30, of downtown Los Angeles. "I've lived here my whole life; just being an Angeleno, it's kind of a birthright here."

Molina, on a lobbying trip to Washington, D.C., this week, did not respond to calls seeking comment.

Though taco trucks have long been regulated by the county, the previous law carried only a $60 fine for parking in one spot longer than 30 minutes. Many vendors who got citations simply treated them as a cost of doing business.

The revised law, to take effect May 15, allows mobile eateries to stay put for an hour. But if they fail to move after that they can be slapped with a criminal misdemeanor and face a fine of up to $1,000 or even six months in jail.

Sonderleiter, 28, said he was offended: "It just struck me as so unfair and so ridiculous and so prohibitive and so devastating to something that I love."

Bringing up the website, www.saveourtacotrucks.org, "was a spur-of-the-moment idea." He tends the site after his day job teaching computer skills to middle and high school students in West Los Angeles.

"We're totally new at this," said Rutherford, 27, who also is a teacher. "I think a lot of this -- we're sort of learning as we go."

On the popular networking site Facebook, taco lover Selvans, a NASA employee, created a group and urged members to send letters of protest to their supervisors. At last count, more than 500 have joined the effort and chimed in.

Writes 23-year-old Santa Monica resident Devon Randall: "Who would want to hurt a poor, defenseless taco truck?"

Alberto Pineda, 20, of Commerce adds: "My favorite taco place is a stand in east L.A., now what am I going to eat?"

Selvans, however, fears that most who have joined his group will do little to reach out to supervisors "who probably aren't spending much time on Facebook."

"In which case, having 500 members doesn't necessarily mean much," he said.

But the protests continue.

"What is the endgame in this?" Rutherford asked. "Is it we go on a hunger strike? At what point do we call it a day? I don't know. Steam is still building."

Guest Vitamin X

As someone who writes for a blog about food carts as well as doing food-related articles in a local publication, I've learned quite a lot about the legal ramifications involved with these guys- Several years ago, NYC had a similar crackdown on food carts and failed due to the street vendors organizing and even forming together a viable union to protect themselves from harassment and persecution. In Portland, food carts are huge as well and while the attempt to shut them down hasn't happened yet, I suspect they will eventually. This is pure bullshit, though. Food carts are helpful to so many people in so many ways..

- First off, they're usually affordable and easy to find. Like that article said, a lot of people have lived off carne asada and various other foods like that for a while. Here, we have a more versatile selection ranging from Thai to Italian to Japanese, and of course Mexican. There's even a Bosnian food cart here!

- They help low-income families who want to start a restaurant, but don't have the money to go through obtaining a lease, licensing, and all that right away.

- They contribute to livable local communities, enhancing the lives of people who live and work around the areas where these carts are placed. I can't say how many times I frequent a couple of my favorite ones, who are just a couple blocks away from me, and the friends I've made both of whom work there and who eat at these. One in particular, Al Forno Ferruzza, has gotten a lot of local press not just from the alternative weeklies but from the bigger papers like the Oregonian as well, calling it as good as one of the big, expensive artisan pizza bakeries in Portland. He moved here from Upstate NY and built his cart entirely from recycled/salvaged building materials, and operates a full-out pizza oven fired up by propane, so he's entirely off-the-grid as well, and pays like $500/month for his spot, which is a beautiful location overlooking the mountains and right in between some office buildings and Portland State University. I'm guessing he could probably start a restaurant within a few years if he really wanted to, or he could just keep that cart running (as some people have done, they've expanded food carts into other areas and basically operate an entirely mobile business) for as long as he wanted to and live off of that.

It's really great, and I'd be pissed to see a crackdown on these carts. Hope the taco trucks survive down there!

http://www.streetvendor.org/ is a good website for more information.

Speaking of food vendors, I was watching a month old episode of Bizarre Foods on my DVR and as a result, I know want to visit The Minnesota State Fair. They had something like 75 different foods on a stick there!

Like a breakfast cereal.

The Bare Naked Granola crap is expensive for a small amount. I could make my own but Im not really a granola person.

Speaking of food vendors, I was watching a month old episode of Bizarre Foods on my DVR and as a result, I know want to visit The Minnesota State Fair. They had something like 75 different foods on a stick there!

Last year at the Delaware State Fair I got a deep fried Moon Pie. This year in July when I go for 3 Doors Down/Staind concert Im gonna man up and get a deep fried twinkie, deep fried oreos and a deep fried snickers bar. The only problem is they are all outrageously expensive ($4 for a (as in 1, one, uno) deep fried twinkie..I could fucking make 2 boxes myself for that price but it wont have the atmosphere I guess..) Hopefully I wont die of a heart attack up there.

Skip the Snickers, it's going to be a gooey inedible mess if it's anything like the one I had at last years North Carolina State Fair. You would think it's good, but it totally isn't.

Deep Fired Twinkies are the shiznit. Haven't tried an oreo.