TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Thoth

South Park Season 10 starts tomorrow

They used to make good political satire that was entertaining even if you disagreeded with it. (Hate crimes episode for me as an example). Now they're really just getting too far up their own ass and just think contraversy means good political and socail satire. They did better in the past two episodes compared to the past few seasons when they got political, but Bush as the defender of civil liberties was about to make my head explode.

They're best stuff recently has been satire of entertainment in general. And I count the Scienctology epsidoe under that catagory b/c it's just a bunch of dumb celebraties wasting their time and money.

I hope the Super Best Friends episode can still air.

but Bush as the defender of civil liberties was about to make my head explode.

Oh come on, everyone knows bush hates terrorists more than he hates civil liberties. He'd side with showing the cartoon just to piss them off.

Guest Smues
Original air Date: 2006-04-19

Towelie gets over his drug addition and writes a moving book about his experiences. Thanks to Oprah’s support, the book becomes a best seller and his story inspires millions to turn their lives around. However, when he’s caught in a lie by the grand dame of daytime television, Towelie’s old habits start to look might appealing.

Oh fuck yes they're gonna rip on that Fry idiot. This'll be great.

It sounds to me like they are going to rip on Oprah for taking her support away from the book. Something like, if the book helped so many people face their demons, who cares if it isn't all 100% true.

Wait a minute. What's this Oprah story? I hate when I watch South Park without knowing the background story and then miss half the jokes.

Guest OSIcon
Wait a minute. What's this Oprah story? I hate when I watch South Park without knowing the background story and then miss half the jokes.

Oprah had James Frey's book "A Million Little Pieces" as her book of the month sometime last year. The book was about Frey's drug and alcohol addictions and how he overcame them. She hyped it and backed it strongly. Eventually it came out that not all of the stories in the book were true. The guy had exaggerated how long he was in jail and made up something about his girlfriend's death. Since the book had been passed off as a true biography, people got all upset. Oprah originally defended him, then withdrew her support. She had Frey on her show afterwards and apparently ripped into him for lying in his book.

4hartthreat is probably right with where they will go with it.

This episode is only adding to the pile of shit that has been this season. I'm not impressed.

Edit: This episode just ended. Just when I think this show can't get any worse, Matt and Trey prove me wrong. That was without a shadow of a doubt the worst episode in the show's history. There was not one funny joke, and the ending with her asshole dying went on WAY too long. I have officially lost my faith in this show.

Wow, that episode sucked. I didn't laugh once.

Great way to kill your momentum guys!

Terrance & Philip episode: Not funny.

Pip episode: Not funny.

Butters episode: Not funny.

Team America - World Police: Not funny.

Towelie episode: Not funny.

They need to stick with what works. The only episode without the boys that worked was when Jimmy and Timmy joined the Crips and then they had the running joke of the boys not wanting to get involved.

Terrance & Philip episode: Not funny.

Pip episode: Not funny.

Team America - World Police: Not funny.

Towelie episode: Not funny.

They need to stick with what works. The only episode without the boys that worked was when Jimmy and Timmy joined the Crips and then they had the running joke of the boys not wanting to get involved.

With the exception of the Butters episode (which I love), I agree 100%.

Guest Retro Rob

I thought Minge and Gary were pretty damn funny actually. I was with three other people, everyone really enjoyed it.

I loved Team America, but yeah--this episode sucked, and I knew it would suck when I heard about the preview.

Matt...Trey...none of your audience watches Oprah. I can't imagine it would be very funny if we did. And Towlie has never been funny.

I find South Park funnier than FG (especially post-hiatus FG), but I'm sort of turned off by Trey and Matt's martyr complex. Comedy Central has given them creative liscence to do almost exactly what they please, I'm sure the scientologist episode verdict came from on high. (there's a lot of money in MI:3)

As an aside, I thought the R. Kelly bit was hilarious. Then, I actually saw 'Trapped in the closet". "Trapped in the closet" is so ludicrously, deliriously funny, that it blows SP out of the water. Just knowing that the guy that made this shit thought it was so good, makes it even funnier. The commentary with R. Kelly: "it's like a cliffhanger, It holds you TIGHT, it's a cliffhanger x100" makes it the funniest thing I've ever seen. *

SP is still a very funny show, though.

*Except AD, of course.

Guest El Satanico
Matt...Trey...none of your audience watches Oprah.

Like that even matters to this episode. Besides, you'd have to had been under a rock to not know about that book controversy.

Although I really dislike Oprah, I don't think she withdrew support from the book. She verbally berated the author, but stopped short of denying the book.

I love it when Trey and Matt just say "Fuck it" and make something incredibly off the wall - Flashbacks, Mr. Hanky's Christmas Classics, Pip (I disliked it before I actually read Great Expectations?), Butters' episode, and Asspen (to a lesser extent) are great episodes.

It wasn't a great episode, but I still had a good time with it.

Exactly. They have a ton of freedom, they obviously have incredible comedic brains, I wish they didn't spend so much time being controversial for the sake of controversy.

Scott Tennorman is my favorite episode, BTW, and it's just hilariously evil. The chef episode was funny for about two minutes of its running time, and I just thought: "Get over your fucking martyr complex, you idiots."

Exactly. They focus on the one thing they couldn't do, instead of thanking their lucky stars for the often lenient standars and practices that allows them to show things like real footage of a sex change operation, or countless other examples. 80% of their raunchy stuff would be left on the cutting room floor on another network.

With the exception of the Butters episode (which I love), I agree 100%.

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?

Oookay ... maybe I need to watch it again ...

Towelie is only funny when they acknowledge that he's just a really bad joke. And when he played Funky Town on the security access panel. That was pretty good.

FTR, my favorite moment in South Park is the entire town singing "Love is a Battlefield" in Red Man's Greed.

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?

I agree 100%. Butters episode and everything about Butters rocks.

But last night was awful. I actually turned it off half way through.

Guest Fook

Wow, what a bad episode.

Towelie is a completely awful character. He's got two jokes ("You're a towel." "No, you're a towel." and getting high) and both were beaten into the ground five minutes into this episode.

And Oprah's vagina and asshole talking and taking people hostage wasn't funny at all.